Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

If you come out and say who you’re drafting you’re making a gigantic mistake, imo. Eliminates all leverage.

Somethings are more important then leverage.

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

And if Washington winds up 3 or 4 it would be a mistake to trade with them. Harrison is likely gone in that case. If they’re 2? Why not? 

Fair to say I'm expecting this convo to go down after season is over and draft order established.

Bears don't have to clarify their commitment via how i mentioned, but they need to somehow.  I get its a business, but at some point need to keep in the context what they in the business of.

and of course now that it seems  like we have a chance at any of the top QBs we are suddenly just talking about the  flaws  and why we shouldn't take this one or that one.

so I'm back to OT and giving Howell another shot with a better team around him

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Searchingforaqb said:

Hate to sound so negative as we've a great draft pick regardless, cap space, new owner and GM on the way, but....

I can't see any scenario where the Bears pass on Williams. They've never had a real pro bowl QB in their history, and Fields is far too inconsistent and still hasn't played a full season for them yet. 

even if we were to package a load of picks I can't see it mattering as they've their own pick (c.10 to get a lineman to block for Williams)

Can't see any reason why they'd pass up Williams to have Fields throwing to MHJ unless  they got a load of firsts and even I think they'd stick with Williams 

They have a lot of holes in their roster and could get a lot of help filling those holes rolling with Fields one more year.  He has been solid in the second half of the season. In fact, I think Williams, Maye, and Harrison Jr. are probably more coveted assets than last year's group of top picks.

You have Matt Eberflus returning, and honestly, if they stay the course and do what they did last year, by trading the top pick for a haul I think they are going to be a lot more solid all the way around.  OR you take Harrison out of the gate and instantly upgrade Fields.  The also have about $75 million in cap space. 

1 minute ago, MrJL said:

and of course now that it seems  like we have a chance at any of the top QBs we are suddenly just talking about the  flaws  and why we shouldn't take this one or that one.

It does feel that way doesn't it.

Feels like 2020 all over again, most likely top prospect will be gone (burrow/williams) and we have a guy who we might have something in (haskins/howell) but there are so many question marks on them so we debate as to whether to take the surefire blue chip guy (young/Harrison) or we could go with the guys who aren't worthy of that high pick but play the most important position so it may be worth the gamble (tua/maye) or (Herbert/daniels) or there's always the ever popular, trade down to acquire a boat load of picks opinion. 

Total deja vu.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Long n Left said:

I want to add one more thing to my above post. My youngest (senior when Maye was a sophomore at Myers Park HS) went to U Mich. and graduated in 2022. My mother also grew up in Ann Arbor, therefore I have watched every Michigan game that JJ McCarthy has played.

I think JJ has a superior skill set to Drake. While an inch shorter, and about 20 lbs. lighter than Maye, McCarthy is quicker and faster than Maye, and has a bit better arm strength to my eye. 

I don’t think JJ is excellent in his pre-snap reads, and can sometimes go through progressions slowly, but if the play develops, he can make it. He has been described as a hard worker, and puts in lots of tape study time.

If I were an NFL O coordinator, I would prefer working with McCarthy’s skill set. I believe his ceiling is higher than Maye’s.

You would think he inters the draft if Mich wins the national championship. I think he fits well with Howell being his backup or starter till he is ready. No need to rush the rookie. We need to stay where we are 2/3 or trade down option too. lots of holes to fill. Keep next year's draft in tack.

Just now, redskinss said:

It does feel that way doesn't it.

Feels like 2020 all over again, most likely top prospect will be gone (burrow/williams) and we have a guy who we might have something in (haskins/howell) but there are so many question marks on them so we debate as to whether to take the surefire blue chip guy (young/Harrison) or we could go with the guys who aren't worthy of that high pick but play the most important position so it may be worth the gamble (tua/maye) or (Herbert/daniels) or there's always the ever popular, trade down to acquire a boat load of picks opinion. 

Total deja vu.

I just do not think we are going to be instantly successful no matter what we do.  Our roster is swiss cheese.  It has been seriously downgraded under RR.  If the Bear's go Williams at #1, and we have the # 2 pic I think you take the BPA, which will be Harrison Jr. and start building your roster.  I mean if William's is gone you have to take this guy. He is an instant upgrade to whoever you have under center. 

Maybe you pick up a vet on the cheap, a redemption deal. A QB who is looking to redeem himself.  Why not us, as we build a competitive roster?   

Sam Howell is on his rookie deal, so I do not understand dealing him unless we take a QB in the draft.  Then he should be traded.  Truthfully, I think he needs a fresh start somewhere else. 

This is a solid draft for OT's. You take one second round. You just build the roster and see what is available in FA.  

30 minutes ago, MrJL said:

Thing is the last time we were at 2, Tua and Herbert were loads betters prospects than Maye 

2021 draft is a good case study on why you don’t just draft any qb Willy nilly just because you are sitting at 2 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Thing is the last time we were at 2, Tua and Herbert were loads betters prospects than Maye 

2021 draft is a good case study on why you don’t just draft any qb Willy nilly just because you are sitting at 2 

Tua is nothing special but Herbert is very special, my opinion. 

30 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

What needs to happen this last week? Other than lose.

If we and the Patriots lose. Here are our rooting interests on Sunday

IMG_2973.jpeg

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

If I were a GM thinking about this job, that haul of pics and the cap room would make me hard. 

Also, even though it hurts our strength of schedule, I’m going to root for the bears to beat the packers next week and for fields to look great. I want the Bears to be willing to trade that pick. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

If we're picking second and there are 32 picks per round before the 3rd why aren't we picking 34th?

We are tied with three other teams at 4-12.   We get the tie breaker in the first round.  The secocnd worst SOS gets in the second round and the third worst SOS get the tiebreaker in the third round.  So we would get the tiebreaker in rounds 1, 4, and 7

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, redskinss said:

If we're picking second and there are 32 picks per round before the 3rd why aren't we picking 34th?

https://www.lines.com/nfl/drafts/rules

• After the first round, the order is determined by revolving the teams with the same records, with the team that just picked first of the group picking last in the next round.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

That’s why it’ll be sweet if both AZ and NE win next week.

And no stupid heroics on our part.

I am sure there will be the narrow-minded, myopic posts about how we never lose to the Cowboys blah, blah, blah, and how it doesn’t guarantee us anything, yadda, yadda, yadda. I want to be in the best position to get the best possible talent. Beating the Cowboys is pointless. Besides, it would also give the Eagles the division. I refuse to give the city of Philadelphia anything.

• Like 4

Saw my buddy last night who is a huge Bears fan, fresh off watching the game with a bar full of Bears fans. A LOT of #1 pick talk as you can imagine. The overwhelming consensus is they like Fields and want to continue build around him. They all REALLY want Harrison jr. He liked my idea of swapping number two for number one, but otherwise is all about just taking Harrison at number one. Random sampling of the drunk bear fans on New Year’s Eve so take it for what it’s worth, which is very little. 😁

22 minutes ago, redskinss said:

while the first round is determined by SOS when ordering the picks, they rotate when teams are tied in the later rounds.  So we pick fourth in the second round, third in the third and second in the fourth.

So if New England wins and we lose and the Cardinals lose their fifth win we'll end up just rotating with the Cards and end up moving up a spot or two each round