Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

I was so pumped to move into the top 3 due to the value those picks have this year and the haul we would receive in a trade down.

I used to always root to lose once we were eliminated from the playoffs to get the higher pick, but in recent years not as much, but I have been rooting for losses and a top 3 pick these past few weeks.  

Now I'm torn.  I like Howell, and I still think he can be a good NFL QB with a better supporting cast.  And I'm far from a scout, but Jayden Daniels scares me as a potential great college QB but NFL bust.  Maye has fallen off too.  Caleb has lost some shine, but I think taking him would be the right move.

So part of me would love to see Howell come back, lead us to a win or two vs SF and Dallas, and have us heading into the off-season with Howell getting another chance next season, but having a lesser pick.  I'd rather have Howell and Latham than Daniels and turnstile.  I don't see Daniels, or any young QB, succeeding here anytime soon, and by the time the new QB has a legit supporting cast, everyone will have soured on the new QB, just like everyone has done with Howell after 16 starts.

The other option that intrigues me is to root for the highest pick, hope they trade down and turn into the best haul of picks as possible, and draft the QB next year.  But Im still not convinced that cutting bait with Howell is the best path forward.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Thumb up 1

29 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I was so pumped to move into the top 3 due to the value those picks have this year and the haul we would receive in a trade down.

I used to always root to lose once we were eliminated from the playoffs to get the higher pick, but in recent years not as much, but I have been rooting for losses and a top 3 pick these past few weeks.  

Now I'm torn.  I like Howell, and I still think he can be a good NFL QB with a better supporting cast.  And I'm far from a scout, but Jayden Daniels scares me as a potential great college QB but NFL bust.  Maye has fallen off too.  Caleb has lost some shine, but I think taking him would be the right move.

So part of me would love to see Howell come back, lead us to a win or two vs SF and Dallas, and have us heading into the off-season with Howell getting another chance next season, but having a lesser pick.  I'd rather have Howell and Latham than Daniels and turnstile.  I don't see Daniels, or any young QB, succeeding here anytime soon, and by the time the new QB has a legit supporting cast, everyone will have soured on the new QB, just like everyone has done with Howell after 16 starts.

The other option that intrigues me is to root for the highest pick, hope they trade down and turn into the best haul of picks as possible, and draft the QB next year.  But Im still not convinced that cutting bait with Howell is the best path forward.

I like Howell over Haskins but still this would all feel to me a re-run of 2020.

You say you aren't a scout, clearly no one here is, but rooting for a win so they aren't in range of a Qb suggests you already believe when he arrives the new GM's competence is in question

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, FrFan said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/trading-kyler-murray-next-year-would-trigger-massive-but-manageable-cap-charge

If the Cardinals cut him before the guarantees vest, using a post-June 1 designation, Murray would count $13 million against the cap in 2024 and $33.28 million in 2025.

The Cardinals could also trade Murray before June 1 and take the full $46.221 million cap charge in 2024

I hope it doesn't come as a massive shock or anything, but Florio is completely wrong here. 

I know, hard to believe, world-altering even.

faint-fainting.gif

But, Murray's 2024 salary is already guaranteed. Well, 35.3 mil of the 37 mil salary is. if he is released early enough in the offseason, his dead cap hit would be $81.521 mil.  Not the 46.221 figure Florio uses there. 

The guarantee that kicks in on the 5th day of the 24 league year is his 2025 salary (18 mil) and roster bonus (11.9 m).

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

As bad as Howell has been recently, the D has been the most disappointing and the worst D. in football. Brissett if he even starts is not going to help. let someone else take a beating, Brissett, Fromm let them earn their check for these couple games. Howell is not done yet, even if it is not here. I agree with who ever said do not trade our 1st. next year to move up.  And look at Carolina and others who went that route, for that reason. Point they made is what if you have the same kind of season next year as this year with the rookie. Stay where you pick or move down. There may be a QB later too like, McCarthy in a trade down, It may be worth keeping Howell and let them fight it out. We need to be open to all options and keep next year's first. I hope Mich can beat Bama, what else would McCarthy have to play for if that happened. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I hope it doesn't come as a massive shock or anything, but Florio is completely wrong here. 

I know, hard to believe, world-altering even.

But, Murray's 2024 salary is already guaranteed. well, 35.3 mil of the 37 mil salary is. if he is released early enough in the offseason, his dead cap hit would be $81.521 mil.  Not the 46.221 figure Florio uses there. 

The guarantee that kicks in on the 5th day of the 24 league year is his 2025 salary (18 mil) and roster bonus (11.9 m).

Sounds like their stuck with him.  To me, they should trade down but their pick will be interesting.  If MHJ is there, which he should be, he should be their pick.  Who knows.  

18 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Sounds like their stuck with him.  To me, they should trade down but their pick will be interesting.  If MHJ is there, which he should be, he should be their pick.  Who knows.  

They don't have to be "stuck with him." They are a building team that isn't going to win anything for a couple of years. They could bite the bullet on him and draft a franchise QB if they think there is one there. 

That should really be the only consideration. Having a franchise QB is the most important thing for serious contention in the NFL. If you don't have one and have the option to get someone you think is one, then to not do it is just stupid. You don't just tether yourself to a QB who isn't good enough because of a one year cap hit.

What they will do I don't know. They may not like one of the QBs enough, they may fall out of the top 3 win a W (fingers crossed) or they make a wrong decision because people are worried about their job security or ownership meddling. But just to not take that kind of QB because they are "stuck" with Kyler would be laughably dumb.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Howell over Haskins but still this would all feel to me a re-run of 2020.

You say you aren't a scout, clearly no one here is, but rooting for a win so they aren't in range of a Qb suggests you already believe when he arrives the new GM's competence is in question

Rooting for a win over a good team with Howell is more of a reflection of me not wanting to give up on Howell yet, and still be able to land a top LT prospect, but I understand your premise that ideally we hire a competent GM and trust them to make the right decisions with the most valuable assets possible.  I can't disagree with that.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, KillBill26 said:

Rooting for a win over a good team with Howell is more of a reflection of me not wanting to give up on Howell yet, and still be able to land a top LT prospect, but I understand your premise that ideally we hire a competent GM and trust them to make the right decisions with the most valuable assets possible.  I can't disagree with that.

I agree that regardless of any current team, media or fan judgement of Howell, he's still currently an asset for the future staff to evaluate. I'm not sure that throwing him out there in this situation is a great move for the future. No value to potentially breaking him into smaller pieces at this point.

Get other guys out there, let them play their hardest, build their individual resumes as best as they can, and lose out with Fromm.

40 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

They don't have to be "stuck with him." They are a building team that isn't going to win anything for a couple of years. They could bite the bullet on him and draft a franchise QB if they think there is one there. 

That should really be the only consideration. Having a franchise QB is the most important thing for serious contention in the NFL. If you don't have one and have the option to get someone you think is one, then to not do it is just stupid. You don't just tether yourself to a QB who isn't good enough because of a one year cap hit.

What they will do I don't know. They may not like one of the QBs enough, they may fall out of the top 3 win a W (fingers crossed) or they make a wrong decision because people are worried about their job security or ownership meddling. But just to not take that kind of QB because they are "stuck" with Kyler would be laughably dumb.

There F.O. is about as swift as ours, RR and Co..  Nothing would surprise me that the Cardinals F.O. would do, Rufus.  

Edited by RWJ

12 minutes ago, SkinsNatsFan said:

I agree that regardless of any current team, media or fan judgement of Howell, he's still currently an asset for the future staff to evaluate. I'm not sure that throwing him out there in this situation is a great move for the future. No value to potentially breaking him into smaller pieces at this point.

Get other guys out there, let them play their hardest, build their individual resumes as best as they can, and lose out with Fromm.

True, looking at all the names that are out for us, and going against one of the leagues best teams, hard to imagine any QB we have looking good tomorrow.  Should be a bloodbath.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

see in that situation I'm like "let's see Howell get three TDs and lead us to a field goal or two and the defense can give up 40

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

There F.O. is about as swift as ours, RR and Co..  Nothing would surprise me that the Cardinals F.O. would do, Rufus.  

Thy hired Monti Ossenfort last year. He was very highly regarded and was considered a rising star type of candidate for GM jobs. He had a good offseason last year with Arizona in his first go round. 

Now, the owners there have been terrible, so it's possible they stick their noses in and screw things up. But as for Ossenfort himself, there is no reason to think he's too stupid to make the right moves. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

Now, the owners there have been terrible, so it's possible they stick their noses in and screw things up. But as for Ossenfort himself, there is no reason to think he's too stupid to make the right moves. 

Key!