Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 NFL Draft Position/Tracker - Final Pick #2

zCommander

3 minutes ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

That was Chris Weinke, and he played baseball until he was 25 yo and then went to Florida State at age 25.  He was drafted by the Panthers in 2001 and was actually 29 years old when the season started.

He was Brandon Weeden before Brandon Weeden. One of the funniest draft picks I can remember. Darius Hayward-Bey might be one of the only ones I can remember finding more hilarious. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

39 minutes ago, Conn said:

He was Brandon Weeden before Brandon Weeden. One of the funniest draft picks I can remember. Darius Hayward-Bey might be one of the only ones I can remember finding more hilarious. 

Oh man, Al Davis had quite the hard on for speed. He didn’t seem to care about much else.

26 minutes ago, No Nonsense said:

Because he's a young QB with a lot of upside. Do you think Justin Fields is THAT bad that he doesn't warrant a look? 

Yeah because it is not as simple as giving a guy a look.  First you probably trade a day 2 pick to get him.  Then you have to give him the starting job for a year which means we don't draft a guy with our first round pick this year when we actually may end up with a pick to get a top guy or we don't give Howell another year.  All that investment when the most likely outcome is Justin Fields is decent, but not a franchise QB (a low level starter like Daniel Jones).  Plus because Fields is decent, just not good, we probably go something like 7-10 with him at QB and are not in a position to get a QB the following year.    I agree with ntotoro, keep what we have or draft a QB.   

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

21 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here’s what I’ve been using. I actually think it’s accurate now that I’ve played with it a bit more, as far as properly projecting the SOS based on future results:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-playoff-predictor

if you scroll below the matchups you can see “draft order” and it changes as you make changes to various matchups.

Not really interested in that. Was just answering your implication that there was something funny about our and New England's SOS not being altered more by the Dallas and especially Philadelphia games.

I would do some math on SOS myself, was thinking about it. But I'm not going to bother right now because I think we're going to screw everything up and beat the Jets, rendering it all moot. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

That and Ohio State.  Stay away from OSU QBs.

This used to be true 5+ years ago but the portal has changed the entire landscape of college football. It's not profitable to use school history at any given position anymore.

Keep in mind Joe Burrow was initially at Ohio State and then transferred to LSU so imagine if you applied that logic to Burrow.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

Because he's a young QB with a lot of upside. Do you think Justin Fields is THAT bad that he doesn't warrant a look? 

He earned the nickname "Bustin' fields" for a reason.  HARD mother ****ing pass there.  Unless........he is a  backup.   That's the only scenario I'd take him in.  

Edited by srtman04
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, No Nonsense said:

There is more to consider than just his upside since he is already 3 years into a 4 year contract, so essentially even if you did somehow pull off a trade you would basically be renting the guy for one season with the 5th year option in play for 2025. 

This does not seem like a wise decision for a team like the Commanders...

You might as well stick with Howell at that point because you dont need to trade away draft capital.

What am I missing here?

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

On 12/19/2023 at 6:34 PM, mac8887 said:

I wonder if being shorter hurts the footwork or at least makes it harder to overcome happy feet.

I have also wondered about Sam's height and whether that plays into his holding the ball at all? He had a clear TD inside the 10 yd line to a RB in the flat on a well designed play this past week and it got batted down badly. 

4 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

That and Ohio State.  Stay away from OSU QBs.

Have you seen CJ Stroud play this season??

24 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I have also wondered about Sam's height and whether that plays into his holding the ball at all? He had a clear TD inside the 10 yd line to a RB in the flat on a well designed play this past week and it got batted down badly. 

It got batted down by a defender about 2 feet in front of him that should have been cut by the TE releasing. Howell would have needed to be 9 feet tall for his height to have mattered on that throw. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

5 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

Until you have THE GUY, all options should be on the table, including Fields. He's still young, very athletic and could just need better coaching/experience/talent around him. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

6 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

Oh man, Al Davis had quite the hard on for speed. He didn’t seem to care about much else.

JaMarcus Russell wasn't known for speed.

5 hours ago, No Nonsense said:

For 2 seconds or a first?  Not a chance.

7 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Not seeing any mocks this week where the Commando's take a QB???? Last week there were some. I know these mock drafts are meaningless but would we regret passing on Daniels and letting NYG grab him if we pick ahead of them?

Maybe. We could also regret taking him if he becomes RG3. 

I can say this: if we don’t make some moves on the OL in FA it’s going to be a lot harder for me to sit here and say we should go QB.

Especially considering I’m not a huge fan of this class. I think they have talent but I think people get so QB hungry that they are overlooking their flaws a little bit. 

But I’ll tell you what we cannot do: Take any of these three, but especially Daniels, and not have addressed OL.

Of course, we can get meaningful OL help in the draft, too. So we’ll see how all of this pans out.

• Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, philibusters said:

Yeah because it is not as simple as giving a guy a look.  First you probably trade a day 2 pick to get him.  Then you have to give him the starting job for a year which means we don't draft a guy with our first round pick this year when we actually may end up with a pick to get a top guy or we don't give Howell another year.  All that investment when the most likely outcome is Justin Fields is decent, but not a franchise QB (a low level starter like Daniel Jones).  Plus because Fields is decent, just not good, we probably go something like 7-10 with him at QB and are not in a position to get a QB the following year.    I agree with ntotoro, keep what we have or draft a QB.   

I liked Fields in that draft.  I wouild say he's been dissappointing.  Not awful.    But very inconsistent as a passer week to week.  As a runner, he's special. 

His cheap rookie contract is already 3 years.  2 years left.  

I wouldn't pass over Howell for Fields.  Agree, I've heard the same thing, its likely a 2nd day pick for him. 

9 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Not seeing any mocks this week where the Commando's take a QB???? Last week there were some. I know these mock drafts are meaningless but would we regret passing on Daniels and letting NYG grab him if we pick ahead of them?

Agree.

I get roasted by some when I mentioned NY in this context.  It sets me up for an easy layup strawman argument.  Like dude i have a much more mature outloook on this than you, you are saying you are taking a player just so the Giants won't take him.  That's dumb. :ols:

It also fosters which I always find a bit odd (but I have seen it with some here for give or take the last 5 years) that some come off like its the Giants not us who are the dormats of the division and if anyone is escaping the dungeon its us not them -- accompanied with some bravado comments about how the Giants suck, let them get name that stud player and they will always suck because they are the Giants.   And we are comfortably the third best team in that division. 

But the reality IMO is this.  We are the punchline.  Not the Giants.  When McAdoo once talked about the division and described the competition in it, his line was "Washington is Washington", his point was that's the punchline team.  And no one in the media pushed back because it made sense.  We haven't won a playoff game in like 17 years.  Guess who won one last year?  The Giants.  We haven't won more than 10 games in 30 years.  Giants did it as recent as 2016.  Giants have dominated us head to head in their down years.  And it will be us in all likelihood, not them, finishing at the bottom of the divison two years in a row.

It's the Giants who have coaches who others talk about for HC spots around the league.  It's them with pedigreed guys in the FO not us.  We are the joke not them.  And if there is a team national pundits would predict to finish last next season its likely us not them. 

They are walking talking example though and I said this before the season that its tough to win without BOTH the QB and an O line.  They have neither.   The idea of lets see that dynamic change and they will still suck seems like wishcasting.  We lament about how we don't have elite players.  Actually the Giants have some.  Dexter Lawrence is probably the best DT in the NFL.  Thibodeaux is everything we wanted Chase Young to be and never became.  Andrew Thomas when healthy is a top 5 LT.   Barkley got banged up this season but has been elite at times in the past -- will see if he's back in FA.  Okereke isn't elite but is better than any LB we got.  Banks > Forbes.   They have more foundational players to build than we do IMO.  

The reason why I make these points is right now we got two strong teams in the division.  Then its the Giants and us in that order. The Giants were in the playoffs as recently as last year.  And their team IMO isn't run by dummies.  They got extra picks like we do.  If Daboll can use a healthy Daniel Jones to use his legs to take that team to the playoffs the previous season -- you'd think he can do something with dudes like Daniels or heck Maye who reminds me as a runner of Jones but is a better passer.   And unlike us they actually understand the value of an O line they keep swinging at that spot.  Who knows if guys like JMS and Neal develop.  But they are trying.  We have done the opposite on the O line -- we dismantled that unit. 

What this point is leading to is no I wouldn't take any player just to ensure another team wouldn't.  I do think people who argue that's what I am saying it -- know that wasn't my point but if the idea is not to discuss but just ridicule than its an easy way to twist my argument to do it.   My point is if in this draft, we come up with nothing and the Giants find a franchise QB and its a dude we passed over -- then Howell better be good because we'd cement two things.  1.  we'd be the only team in the division stuck in QB wildnerness.  2. we'd cement ourselves to the bottom of the division likely for years.

So yes the stakes are higher than usual for this reason.   If the dude you don't take ends up great and cements the team to the basement of the division for years that dynamic is hung on the GM.  And for those who find it irrelevant.   Every time Washington plays New York and lets say for example Daniels ends up RG3 but the 2012 version of him that lasts and our QB is pedestrian we will be reminded of this when they play.  And if we want to ignore it, I bet the broadcasters will remind us of it.   It wouldn't be a narrative we'd escape.  

In short its very unusual for two teams to be potentially looking for a QB in the same draft from the same divison and they are likely picking right after each other.   So heck yeah IMO it will matter as to the narrative.  And this isn't my way of saying they got to take any player.  But it adds to the stakes that they get it right, either way. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

So why not just stick with Howell at that point? 

Yeah I agree with this. If you aren't doing that it seems like drafting a guy would be the better move, take a chance on them becoming special.

I could see Fields if the new staff has some sort of prior familiarity with him or he having experience in the system you plan to implement. Then perhaps you are looking for he and Howell to battle it out. While competition is great at all positions, I don't love that at the QB position as it can split a team. You want a definitive #1 and a good backup. Right now Howell should already be considered a good backup with potential as a good starter.