Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - Week 4 - The Commanders @ The Eagles ~ Somebody Is Getting Their Feathers Plucked?

zCommander

1 hour ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

From a macro view, is it not disappointing for us to have such low expectations for a division game in YEAR FOUR??

Like…that alone infuriates me. 

As Craig Hoffman said today on the radio, we are going against a team with a coaching staff that's been around for less time than this regime -- yet they build a juggernaut in short order.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Boy, did I miss this place. Lol 

Only on ES will you get intentionally disingenuous posts like this 

Sorry didn't know you were looking for more of a better response. Let me see if I can do a better job this time -  We should be a playoff team even though we have a new QB and a new OC and WE SHOULD beat the Eagles on Sunday no matter what. We are the also the better team because we have a really stout top 5 defense.

Welcome back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As Craig Hoffman said today on the radio, we are going against a team with a coaching staff that's been around for less time than this regime -- yet they build a juggernaut in short order.

Its a very telling point. And the Eagles staff has nowhere near the experience our staff does. 

• Like 2

Grant & Danny played some cuts from Ron Rivera’s daily press conference on Friday’s show, one of which being a question on the timeline of the offense getting its act together…and while Grant can’t refute some truths about the staffing, he doesn’t feel like asking about a timetable for them getting it together is too much.

“These are all your decisions going into the fourth year of a five-year deal when you haven’t had a winning season,” Grant said. “I’m not willing to give you a blank slate and just start over, turn the hourglass back over because it’s your first year with your choices.”

Rivera later brought that notion up at the end of the presser, and after Grant played that cut…Danny was done with the notion of needing more patience for anything Rivera-related.

“I can’t get past it, I never will. Why did you need a new everything? The previous ones sucked, and they were your calls, every one. Oh my God give me those years back…DO THIS IN YEAR ONE!” Danny ranted. “How dare you stand up there and speak to us in this way? You have a limited time in this league, never mind the team we’re playing lost to me on purpose to give me an empty-calories division title when I was hot garbage, and now they’re Super Bowl contenders and my team is middling, we have to be more patient? What about your former protégé, who just kicked your ass 77 ways from Sunday? How dare you stand up and tell me ‘maybe it will work out?’ You’re in charge of everything!”

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Sorry didn't know you were looking for more of a better response. Let me see if I can do a better job this time -  We should be a playoff team even though we have a new QB and a new OC and WE SHOULD beat the Eagles on Sunday no matter what. We are the also the better team because we have a really stout top 5 defense.

Welcome back!

The team they play Sunday intentionally lost to us in 2020 and finished with 4 wins. 9 months ago, they played in Super Bowl. 

Ron Rivera has been coach of this team since before 98% of the population knew what Covid was. He’s never won more than 8 games. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The team they play Sunday intentionally lost to us in 2020 and finished with 4 wins. 9 months ago, they played in Super Bowl. 

Ron Rivera has been coach of this team since before 98% of the population knew what Covid was. He’s never won more than 8 games. 

I am not arguing your points but merely pointing out that if you were expecting a really good team in year 4... well that is not happening. Ron lost my support last year when he decided to flush $28 mil down the toilet instead of spending that money on the OL instead. I even knew back in 2021 we needed to build the OL before drafting a possible franchise QB. Ron sucks as a GM or building for future. He was only worried about trying to win every year instead - even that was a failure. Maybe it was a directive from Dan. Next year we start fresh.

Regardless,  I am hoping Howell is the guy you can build around next year. 

Edited by zCommander
  • Like 2

Seems like the trend these past few years have been talking about how high are we picking in the upcoming draft by early October,  then out of the blue we get that upset win against some opponent that should have beat us in the dirt and afterwards we go on a short hot streak before fizzling out. Unfortunately that upset win isn't going to be this week.

Die Eagles Die 34

Good guys 13

With this oline, I just don't see much hope for the remainder of this season. 

What me worry?

We have successfully beat undefeated teams from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania the past two times.

Undefeated teams before we beat them

2021 Steelers (11-0)

2022 Eagles  (8-0)

2023 Eagles (3-0)  ________?

I dont like our chances, but how can you vote against this streak?

Just now, petey hodge said:

What me worry?

We have successfully beat undefeated teams from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania the past two times.

Undefeated teams before we beat them

2020 Steelers (11-0)

2022 Eagles  (8-0)

2023 Eagles (3-0)  ________?

I dont like our chances, but how can you vote against this streak?

6 hours ago, zCommander said:

I am not arguing your points but merely pointing out that if you were expecting a really good team in year 4... well that is not happening. Ron lost my support last year when he decided to flush $28 mil down the toilet instead of spending that money on the OL instead. I even knew back in 2021 we needed to build the OL before drafting a possible franchise QB. Ron sucks as a GM or building for future. He was only worried about trying to win every year instead - even that was a failure. Maybe it was a directive from Dan. Next year we start fresh.

Regardless,  I am hoping Howell is the guy you can build around next year. 

Sam will have to make the playoffs to be considered the guy you build around.

The odds are strong, a new team is running things in 24. While Sam will enter the offseason as QB1, the new guys will likely bring in a qb to either compete with Sam to be the qb or to eventually replace Sam.

Sam’s really going to well this year and with his own limitations and this being his first year and our oline; going to be tough.

• Like 1

I need Sam to trust his WRs more. Throw it up and trust Terry. Those are coverage sacks but our boys are better. Especially at WR.

I'm thinking about it more and that's what I'm taking from this week. Cooley in his film review, the comments about the WR separation. He's not seeing what he wants to see. He's got to get more Heinicke in him and just YOLO. 

• Confused 2

10 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The previous ones sucked, and they were your calls, every one. Oh my God give me those years back

I feel this way every time I listen to Grant and Danny.

He's not wrong though. It's not just Rivera, the Marties have done an average job, at best, of drafting. Free agency, while their hands were mostly tied by Snyder and the sale, has been a failure. They don't have much to point to as a success.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I feel this way every time I listen to Grant and Danny.

He's not wrong though. It's not just Rivera, the Marties have done an average job, at best, of drafting. Free agency, while their hands were mostly tied by Snyder and the sale, has been a failure. They don't have much to point to as a success.

I get his frustration with Ron's take of give us a break like they've earned a restart like this is now year 1.  It's up there with Ron's comments about send him his SB ring when they win one after he's fired.  Thom Loverro made fun of that comment in one of his columns.

Ron is a nice guy.  But he has some odd vibe of entitlement about his status.    He comes off like he deserves all the time in the world and should be rewarded for things that other coaches are not rewarded for.   

This isn't Joe Gibbs, Parcells, Belichick asking for patience because of their proven past greatness -- not that they would ask for it.  But Rivera acts like he's some multi-SB winner, football savant and should be treated that way versus the dude who has 3 winning seasons in his 12 years as a head coach.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With Logan back at full strength (or not) I predict the TE room will lead the team in targets.  The announcer last week couldn't wait to tell us it was the Cole Turner red zone show in practice on Friday after he got his first target vs Buffalo Bill.

Until we see otherwise I expect to see the same TE horse EB rode in on from Kelce City game plan. I do think the requisite we have to run moar will play itself out but hope EB goes play action to start the game and not run into brick walls. If he does run a ton change it up. Run from spread with jets reverses sweeps get those GREAT BIG FAT ****ERs running sideline to sideline vs going for body blows up the gut because run moar. Dont run BR from gun/pistol. Filly is most vulnerable in the air.

JDR will run the exact same vanilla read defense he ran last week. Rush 4 and lots of zone. Any blitz will be 1 guy coming delayed once backed into our end.

Edited by RandyHolt

I see this as another game where the offensive line has a complete and total meltdown. We won’t be able to hold up and the Eagles will send an extra rusher or two each play.  EB will continue to call long developing plays that leave the offensive line exposed.  Sam will be sacked 6 or more times and hit on 70% of his drop backs.  Will likely throw at least one interception because of the pressure.

Eagles - 40

Mmanders - 17

Edited by Rex Tomb

1 hour ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Most of us, myself included, are making predictions based upon last week's performance and then not making any adjustments.  Here's hoping that EB and Co. can make the necessary adjustments to make this a competitive game that they can win

For sure. But I am thinking EB will not panic and abandon his playbook and preferred approach. His thinking we are 2-1 so why would he?  Slow and steady wins the race (I also think coaches dont want players to see them abandon their playbook so they are stubborn) so he'll stick to his guns but likely more significant will be simple week to week changes coaches do. Avoid telegraphing patterns from last week. Work on fixing mistakes. Look for loopholes in the defense to exploit.

I remain convinced our coaching staff ignores analytics and just lowers their head and sticks with the full back dive school of coaching e.g. its not the fancy pants stats that win games its old fashioned blood sweat and tears. Does EB know advanced stats say Philly is bleeding TDs and yards to TEs? Small sample size sure but any edge should at least be noted by coaches. Hopefully Howell digs into that stuff on his own if needed.

Hmmm time to head to draftkings and load up on Logan. Again.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

get his frustration with Ron's take of give us a break like they've earned a restart like this is now year 1.  It's up there with Ron's comments about send him his SB ring when they win one after he's fired.  Thom Loverro made fun of that comment in one of his columns

My only real annoyance with Danny's rant it assumes Rivera is the only real difference between the Eagles and Commanders. Rivera has had one arm tied behind his back his whole tenure here. It's the standard dont-actually-think-just-yell takes than make my head hurt. Yeah, he has made mistakes, especially along the offensive line. But to just rant about Rivera and not include the organization as a whole is myopic and dumb. Which is standard for Danny Rouhier.

Y'all know how rookie QBs always seem to beat us? Well, check this out.

📰 NFLNotify X
𝗥𝗨𝗠𝗢𝗥 𝗔𝗟𝗘𝗥𝗧:
We asked a source within the #Bears organization if the team would consider benching Justin Fields if he continues to struggle.
“Absolutely. If he struggles against a team that just had 70 points scored against them Eberflus will 100% consider it. Eberflus knows he’s on a thin leash and his only hope could be for Tyson Bagent to show some magic.”

23 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I need Sam to trust his WRs more. Throw it up and trust Terry. Those are coverage sacks but our boys are better. Especially at WR.

I'm thinking about it more and that's what I'm taking from this week. Cooley in his film review, the comments about the WR separation. He's not seeing what he wants to see. He's got to get more Heinicke in him and just YOLO. 

I'm thinking about this again and maybe it's also tied to his drop backs and to timing. Maybe he's hitting the top of his drop back too fast so he can't hit his reads. That was an issue before.