Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

Good...

Wow. Week 3 is a bit less terrifying now. Seems like we are actually getting some breaks! Arizona has Dobbs probably starting at qb and DHop is gone. Then week 2 vs Denver, they will be without WR's Patrick and Jeudy! Now we dont have to worry about arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL for week 3! Whats next, Jalen Hurts and AJ Brown decide to retire before week 4?? 😁 Maybe that black cat has stopped following us around, now that Dan is gone.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Value not much different, would get the pick for Samuel or trade TE/LB/OL. Cannot play them all and Samuel contract coming up soon. Teams out there could use a good no.3.

Including us. Especially with Terry currently hurt. Samuel is a weapon and a versatile player that fits things EB likes to do to a T and can really help mess with defensive alignments and presnap confusion even as a decoy. He’s unique on our roster from that perspective even with AG. If Terry is down Dyami likely is the second outside guy and Samuel will stay in that role. 

He’s worth more to us than the compensation we would receive even on an expiring contract. I don’t think this is something we will or should entertain. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Williams was cut i thought and then IR'd later so he could be brought up later if needed from the PS.

Now that they like Stromberg as OG/C, I thought we might keep Larsen.   Who are your 8 OL?  Leno/Lucas/Charles/Paul/Gates/Strom/Cosmi/Wylie?  One would think we keep more than 8.  Maybe Larsen was too pricey for a 2/3 stringer and we want to resign at vet min?

You cannot cut someone and then IR them. And you cannot cut someone who is injured without an injury settlement. The choices with Williams, if he is hurt which appears to be the case, would be to IR him now (in which case he's out for the year, though likely subject to an injury settlement) OR keep him on the 53 and then IR him tomorrow (in which case he can be re-activated). The prior tweets did not make it clear what the plan was.

As for the OL, yes the 8 making it are Leno/Lucas/Charles/Paul/Gates/Strom/Cosmi/Wylie. Larsen was cut, but in what appears to be a David Mayo special, it was just to open up a roster spot temporarily. Larsen wasn't too pricey, he's basically making the veteran minimum already. But he's not subject to waivers, so you can just re-sign him whenever, just like the team did the past two years with David Mayo. It's basically a tactic to free up a roster spot temporarily. Once Larsen's back, the OL will be at 9. That's a reasonable number, but it's still a weak unit. Just not sure who else the team could realistically bring in.

So still not sure what's going on with spot 53. I'm guessing Jonathan Williams does make the 53, only to be IR's and then Larsen will be re-signed. But that's just speculation.

• Like 1

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Cards are full on tanking for Caleb Williams. I'd offer them a 3rd for Kyler Murray "lolol"

Funny thing about this tanking thing and how flawed it is, what if Caleb W decides to stay in school with his NIL money because he doesn't want to go to the Cards?  LOL

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

5 minutes ago, Jericho said:

As for the OL, yes the 8 making it are Leno/Lucas/Charles/Paul/Gates/Strom/Cosmi/Wylie. Larsen was cut, but in what appears to be a David Mayo special, it was just to open up a roster spot temporarily. Larsen wasn't too pricey, he's basically making the veteran minimum already. But he's not subject to waivers, so you can just re-sign him whenever, just like the team did the past two years with David Mayo. It's basically a tactic to free up a roster spot temporarily. Once Larsen's back, the OL will be at 9. That's a reasonable number, but it's still a weak unit. Just not sure who else the team could realistically bring in.

Thanks for the clarification.  That makes sense.  Admission of not knowing but what makes a player not subject to waivers when cut?  Certain years of playing in the league?

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Cards are full on tanking for Caleb Williams. I'd offer them a 3rd for Kyler Murray "lolol"

I just hope our players don't go into week 1 thinking " I keep hearing how Arizona is tanking and don't actually want to win, we got this! " Then their overconfidence bites them in the foot and we take a devastating loss to them. I know one thing, their coaches and players will be going all out on Sept 10th and we better be ready.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I just hope our players don't go into week 1 thinking " I keep hearing how Arizona is tanking and don't actually want to win, we got this! " Then their overconfidence bites them in the foot and we take a devastating loss to them. I know one thing, their coaches and players will be going all out on Sept 10th and we better be ready.

As a Cards player, just how much motivation do you have for this game knowing that the front office is practically throwing away the season?

I also doubt EB will allow them to half ass this game.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

As a Cards player, just how much motivation do you have for this game knowing that the front office is practically throwing away the season?

I also doubt EB will allow them to half ass this game.

I just know that I've seen this movie before, many times. The " they don't have anything to play for " type of scenario. And I watched my team ( who absolutely had something to play for ) get smacked in the mouth. And I mean, Ive seen it A LOT in my life.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Don't worry, Ron thinks Kurt Warner and Larry Fitzgerald are lining up for the Cards Week 1.  I just hope his wife doesn't tell him different.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Has that been the case over the last few years? I can't recall any game in the Rivera era where we emotionally no show against a lesser foe.

10 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I just know that I've seen this movie before, many times. The " they don't have anything to play for " type of scenario. And I watched my team ( who absolutely had something to play for ) get smacked in the mouth. And I mean, Ive seen it A LOT in my life.

Like I said...I don't see EB, his first game as OC, allowing the offense to take anything lightly. EB has something to prove.

43 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

Wow. Week 3 is a bit less terrifying now. Seems like we are actually getting some breaks! Arizona has Dobbs probably starting at qb and DHop is gone. Then week 2 vs Denver, they will be without WR's Patrick and Jeudy! Now we dont have to worry about arguably the best pass rusher in the NFL for week 3! Whats next, Jalen Hurts and AJ Brown decide to retire before week 4?? 😁 Maybe that black cat has stopped following us around, now that Dan is gone.

The best pass rusher in the NFL? Maybe in 2018.. VM hasn't played a full season since then, there are more scary rushers than him now a days.

• Like 1

A bit of a surprise: The #Bengals released punt returner/WR Trent Taylor, who had five punt returns of 20+ yards last year. He also averaged 14.5 yards per return this season.

Sign this guy. He's a ****ing time traveler apparently. 

14.5 yard average on punt returns? That's like double the league average. Why they cut him?

• Haha 1