Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official 2023 Roster Cuts News & Speculation Thread

MartinC

6 minutes ago, MrJL said:

And the Commanders bring back a classic Redskins tradition under Josh Harris.  The placing of players on IR for a hangnail

What about the new annual tradition of cutting David Mayo and re-signing him the next day? I wait with bated breath...

Dang, that’s unfortunate. Going to slow and complicate his journey into gaining an NFL body, too. Hopefully he heals fast enough to allow him to spend the rest of the year (until next July) adding good weight and muscle. 

• Like 1

The flip side is that it’s unfortunate to think of your 4th round pick as such a necessary stash candidate. Rooting for Daniels but it’s a tough pill to swallow when considered alongside the 5th round KJ Henry trade-up. 

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, actorguy1 said:

That was somebody's "hot take" roster guy, they were keeping Kemp. I think it was Grant Paulson.  I heard it on the Standig podcast.  I think that was his.  

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

https://www.threads.net/@adamschefter/post/Cwf8fXgJ_5q/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==

Colt McCoy released - not that we will have any interest but it means either Dobbs or Tune will be starting against us in two weeks.

Murray is staying on the PUP which means he misses the first four weeks minimum. Rumors in Phoenix he may not play this season at all. 

Somewhere, Jay Gruden is crying rivers of tears.  His favorite son just isn't cut out for the NFL.  

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

You may be right but you may be wrong here. Buffalo, KC and now Philly are all said to be unhappy with their backup QB situations and are looking around. Contracts come into play as well. If we really like Fromm over Brissette we should look to deal JB and get an asset for him. That's what I think. 

The only one to watch would be KC.  Clearly Fromm would know that offense.  I still think he clears waivers.  

And any talk of Fromm over Brissett as the backup is ludicrous.  There's no way Ron is going to play Fromm in front of Brissett in a meaningful game until Brissett plays and plays poorly.  Playing ok in the last halves of pre-season games is one thing. Brissett has a track record of at least being competent as a starter.  He's getting the first shot if something happens to Howell.  And there shouldn't be any debate about it. 

30 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That saves a roster spot! 

They really needed to get that roster spot back somehow.  This is an unfortunate way of doing so. But it will help overall for this year. 

7 minutes ago, terpfan said:

Sounds like he tore his rotator cuff, so this isn’t really a fake injury/stash situation although it has that effect.

https://twitter.com/matthew_paras/status/1696260748039897402?s=46

I wonder when he tore it, if he was trying to play with it, how bad it is, etc.  I also wonder if this torn rotator cuff magically heals by next Thursday and he can start working out again.  He can't come back this year, can't practice with the team, but I think he can at least attend meetings and lift weights.  Which he needs to do.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I wonder when he tore it, if he was trying to play with it, how bad it is, etc.  I also wonder if this torn rotator cuff magically heals by next Thursday and he can start working out again.  He can't come back this year, can't practice with the team, but I think he can at least attend meetings and lift weights.  Which he needs to do.  

Cant anybody come off IR during the season after a number of weeks on?

Edited by CommandB11

6 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That was somebody's "hot take" roster guy, they were keeping Kemp. I think it was Grant Paulson.  I heard it on the Standig podcast.  I think that was his.  

I think early on Kemp had the lead but the last few games some other guys have outplayed him in preseason games. That may have also been the case in camp. 

Somewhere, Jay Gruden is crying rivers of tears.  His favorite son just isn't cut out for the NFL.  

Hmm  12 yr back-up made over $25M and no, not all from Washington. I wish I was so "not cut out for the NFL". Nothing wrong with being a carer backup and thats what Jay had him hear fro, was to be a back-up and a back-up only. 🙂    BTW - Isn't the statute of limitations over for ****ing about Jay Gruden? :cheers:

The only one to watch would be KC.  Clearly Fromm would know that offense.  I still think he clears waivers.  

I don't think Fromm clears waivers. He is not starting material of course but even back-up is thin and teams are trying to keep 3, especially with the new emergency QB rule. Quite a few more roster spots available. He has experience and has had some good moments in relief. Cowboys just spent a 4th on QB3. 

And any talk of Fromm over Brissett as the backup is ludicrous.  There's no way Ron is going to play Fromm in front of Brissett in a meaningful game until Brissett plays and plays poorly.  Playing ok in the last halves of pre-season games is one thing. Brissett has a track record of at least being competent as a starter.  He's getting the first shot if something happens to Howell.  And there shouldn't be any debate about it. 

This I agree with 100%. Brissett may not have had as good a preseason but he played tougher competition. Brissett > Fromm all day and every day. He has actually had some success as a starter, something Fromm has yet to do. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Cowboys just spent a 4th on QB3. 

The rest of your post is fair but come on, you know this is a disingenuous addition to your point lol. Obviously by trading that 4th, even if it’s a longshot, they hope to salvage and develop a 1st round talent into a future potential starter—not analogous at all to the type of QB3 that Fromm and his ilk are. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

Texans are cutting LB / captain Christian Kirksey.  He has done well with both run defense and pass coverage in the past.  30 years old. So Rivera is probably thinking, nothing to see here.

I know nothing about the guy lol...comparing his overall PFF grade to the guys we have:

Christian Kirksey - 56.1

Jamin Davis - 62.9

Cody Barton - 63.7

Khaleke Hudson - 55.9

David Mayo - 54.7

1 minute ago, Conn said:

The rest of your post is fair but come on, you know this is a disingenuous addition to your point lol. Obviously by trading that 4th, even if it’s a longshot, they hope to salvage and develop a 1st round talent into a future potential starter—not analogous at all to the type of QB3 that Fromm and his ilk are. 

It was clearly a joke, at least I thought it was. Of course spending a 4th on 1st rounder from jsut 2 yrs ago is not the same. Thought people would see that. If not, well here is the clarification. 

image.png.64859ce77cdfa02aa9992f127ce0417c.png

• Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And any talk of Fromm over Brissett as the backup is ludicrous.  There's no way Ron is going to play Fromm in front of Brissett in a meaningful game until Brissett plays and plays poorly.  Playing ok in the last halves of pre-season games is one thing. Brissett has a track record of at least being competent as a starter.  

But KC already has Mahomes, Gabbert and of course Buechele. I don't see that happening. 

6 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I know nothing about the guy lol...comparing his overall PFF grade to the guys we have:

Christian Kirksey - 56.1

Jamin Davis - 62.9

Cody Barton - 63.7

Khaleke Hudson - 55.9

David Mayo - 54.7

@terpfan had alluded to that earlier too.  I was surprised to see it was that low.  PFF grades are interesting, but we may be able to get more out of him considering our dline is much better than what Houston had last year.  His versatility and experience may allow him to re capture some of his mojo with a much improved supporting cast.

Or he is just a veteran in decline, I don't really know either.

• Like 1

Updated with the news Daniels to IR, and they released Monteiro:

QB: (2) - Howell, Brissett

RB: (3) - Gibson, Robinson, Rodriguez

TE: (3) - Thomas, Bates, Turner

WR: (7) - McLaurin, Dotson, Samuel, Brown, Pringle, Milne, Tinsley

OT (4) - Leno, Wylie, Lucas, Scott** 

G (4) - Charles, Paul, Cosmi, Stromberg (I'm putting him here because I think he's going to be the primary backup to Cosmi at RG)

C (2) - Gates, Larson (Larson can also swing to guard if needed)

That's 25.  

Competitions:

Offense:

- OL: They are also REALLY thin at backup tackle after Lucas.  What they could do there is count on Cosmi to swing out to tackle and plug RG. But he gets hurt a lot also. Now that Daniels is on IR, I think the OL number is definitely 10.   I was wrong on the Monteiro SWAG yesterday. I think now it's going to be Scott at the outset, but that might only last 48 hours. I do wonder if they might keep an extra guard instead of Scott.  

- K. Allen is not making the 53.  He's going to the practice squad.  

- I think they're going to put Tinsley on the roster.  Not because I think they're afraid of losing him, but I think he's proven to be one of the best 53.  Milne will be the punt returner, which stinks.

- I do think they will be scouring the waiver wire to see if they can find punt returner.  And that could cause some shuffling if they do.  

• Like 1