Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

2 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You have to remember that other teams (I think) have to sign any player they claim to the 53 man roster. 

This is a big reason teams don’t poach. 

sure if they're claiming them off waivers, but if you waive them and they clear they're available to any PS

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Was that in their first year or 2nd?  I don't recall.

Keim among others believe that Ron doesn't tend to cut draft picks.  Daniels as a 4th rounder is a relatively high pick.  Henry is a high 5th rounder but they also traded up for him.

that was both in that order

21 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You have to remember that other teams (I think) have to sign any player they claim to the 53 man roster. 

This is a big reason teams don’t poach. 

That's what the cowboys thought about ridgeway. 

If a player is a late round pick or undrafted or considered very raw it's easy to slide them onto the practice squad but 5th round or earlier it's a big risk especially if that guy had a 5th round or earlier grade going into the draft.

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

OK if so that means Ron just released one draft pick, that's not much.  To me the 2nd year is no big deal.  So I get where Keim and company are coming from.

ok, no we're still misunderstanding.  Ismael was release the year he was drafted '20, WBK was released the year he was drafted '21. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

That's what the cowboys thought about ridgeway. 

If a player is a late round pick or undrafted or considered very raw it's easy to slide them onto the practice squad but 5th round or earlier it's a big risk especially if that guy had a 5th round or earlier grade going into the draft.

I understand the risk. It’s just an overblown risk. Every year we are scared that one of our draft picks won’t clear waivers. Every year they clear waivers and we sign them to the practice squad. 

I wanna say the Ravens poached a late round DB of ours several years ago. Everyone here lost their minds. People loved him as a prospect. He was a late round gem.

Of course, he never amounted to anything in the league.

Edited by AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

I understand the risk. It’s just an overblown risk. Every year we are scared that one of our draft picks won’t clear waivers. Every year they clear waivers and we sign them to the practice squad. 

I wanna say the Ravens poached a late round DB of ours several years ago. Everyone here lost their minds. People loved him as a prospect. He was a late round gem.

Ridgeway wasn't even a camp cut, they released him after the opener after Dak got hurt and they needed to stop playing games with the QB position

I would be quite happy releasing Daniels and Henry and trying to sign them to the PS

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

You talking about Tevin Mitchell to the Colts?   It hurt us so much we haven't won a playoff game since.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, MrJL said:

Ridgeway wasn't even a camp cut, they released him after the opener after Dak got hurt and they needed to stop playing games with the QB position

I would be quite happy releasing Daniels and Henry and trying to sign them to the PS

Personally, I have zero issue cutting Henry, but I’m more torn on Daniels.  It’s a weak spot for us, he’s got the upside in terms of athleticism, lots of teams seem to have trouble finding quality OL, and he might be yet another guy we’re trying at tackle that’s better suited for guard (albeit, moving to guard doesn’t mitigate him needing to get bigger/stronger).  

Don’t love the idea of carrying redshirt freshman types, but at least with Stromberg apparently coming along, we’d only have 1.  Based on reports, there are other guys I’d keep ahead of him based purely on merit (some of the backs and receivers for example), but we have multiple guys we seem to like at many of those spots, so at least 1 or 2 from each group should be available for the PS.

• Like 1

If the 4th rounder the FO knew was raw and couldn’t play this year has to go on waivers because he’s only fit for the PS, that’s an immense failure. You either needed to know you had the roster space to carry him as a redshirt, or you needed to gamble that he’d be available later in the draft as a guy more cut out for the PS. There is no middle ground there imo, if the evaluation was good. 4th round is much too early to be drafting PS players (nevermind the fact that you can easily lose any rookie exposed to waivers) when other franchises are drafting impact players who actually see the field. 

We have to assume he makes the 53.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 12

I think there's general consensus here though that Andre Jones is making it while KJ Henry is out. Not quite convinced it is an either or scenario. William Bradley King, Casey Toohill, Efe Obada...if none make it then they could squeeze Henry in. All of this just points to how deep our Edge group is. Young, Sweat, and James Smith-Williams are the main rotation. Then add in Jones, and afterwards we're talking about person number 5.

I understand that potentially for 2024 this matters a little bit more, but still this isn't a group we should be losing sleep over. One of our two Day 3 draft picks seems to have some potential...that's not bad.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Young, Sweat, and James Smith-Williams are the main rotation. Then add in Jones, and afterwards we're talking about person number 5.

The depth here is a little more pressing than I like because of the uncertainty about Chase Young and Phidarian Mathis.  The 5th DE needs to be able to flex inside probably, which argues for Obada over Toohill.  But if Chase goes down, then the fifth DE is suddenly going to be in line for a lot of edge snaps since DE#4 is a rookie.

Either way, I think WBK and Henry to the PS is the likely outcome with Jones making the 53.  We're going to have to make a decision on Toohill and Obada, and it will be hard.

6 hours ago, Conn said:

If the 4th rounder the FO knew was raw and couldn’t play this year has to go on waivers because he’s only fit for the PS, that’s an immense failure. You either needed to know you had the roster space to carry him as a redshirt, or you needed to gamble that he’d be available later in the draft as a guy more cut out for the PS. There is no middle ground there imo, if the evaluation was good. 4th round is much too early to be drafting PS players (nevermind the fact that you can easily lose any rookie exposed to waivers) when other franchises are drafting impact players who actually see the field. 

We have to assume he makes the 53.

you can never know how your roster is going to turn out during camp.  You could luck into the best UDFA ever

11 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

That’s true but how often does that happen? Not many. 

Didn't the Eagles grab QB Nate Sudfeld from us that way. He was a 5th or 6th rounder that we liked and wanted to keep. Not that he amounted to a lot but he has done okay for himself. 

EDIT - I looked it up, he was a 6th rounder. They wanted him at QB3 behind Cousins and McCoy.

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I mean I liked Tune, but is he that good?

Side note, we could have taken him or DTR in the 5th instead of Henry. People wold be saying we own the 5th round after the results from that and Howell last year and Forrest the year prior