Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 Offseason Mini Camp, OTA’s, Training Camp Discussion Thread: Hallelujah, Josh Harris & Co. Era Edition

Conn

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

Hearing that Quan and Butler were having good camps (this year and last year for Butler) and then seeing them look lost in preseason games—it makes me wonder if some of these beat guys just have no idea what they’re looking at in practice in regards to the DBs. To be fair to them, 1-on-1’s are geared toward WR’s and standing on the sidelines there’s no way to know what coverage assignment these young DBs are supposed to have…so it may be difficult to tell. But both of these guys are supposed to be practicing well, and in reality are clearly lagging behind. So what gives?

Defenders looking good accross camp can be a tricky thing too.

At some point, everybody on D knows whats coming. You have seen it every day for weeks.

Then your put in an environment where all of a sudden, you have no idea whats happening in front of you.

Its easy to look good when you know what to expect and who can do what.

Its hard when you gotta read and react on the fly.

A guy like Quan or Butler can be super in tune w/ our own O to the point he can nearly shut it down, but when you throw them out there into the unknown... totally lost.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Well, plus the distance ran in coverage…

and just running 100+ yards is quite a bit different than doing it when your adrenaline is spiked, lol.  

I'd have paid money to see Haynesworth forced to do that. All joking aside he still seemed slow for a 2nd round DB.  Any chance anyone is out of shape anymore in camp? Back in the day before electricity camp was to get people into shape.  He should have been high as a kite with adrenaline and his first INT.

image.thumb.jpeg.9874626c444553c4c7c8cb3c4f48d0bf.jpeg

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You Are Old GIFs | Tenor

** There was a better gif.  But I THINK if you are able to read lips it MIGHT violate the profanity rules.  Maybe.  It's hard to tell.  Descension being the better part of valor I will refrain from posting it.

However, you should imagine a young, attractive blonde woman saying "You're Old As ****" (though the caption is You're Old AF"  The caption would pass.  Does lip reading count as profanity?  I am not going to try to find out....

But I look FANTASTIC.

(In my head)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Hearing that Quan and Butler were having good camps (this year and last year for Butler) and then seeing them look lost in preseason games—it makes me wonder if some of these beat guys just have no idea what they’re looking at in practice in regards to the DBs. To be fair to them, 1-on-1’s are geared toward WR’s and standing on the sidelines there’s no way to know what coverage assignment these young DBs are supposed to have…so it may be difficult to tell. But both of these guys are supposed to be practicing well, and in reality are clearly lagging behind. So what gives?

Makes me think of Taylor Jacobs, I think his name was. The best practice receiver of all time.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Me too...

The bottom one, all the routes change based on coverage. All choice routes. I don't think Scott Turner liked them, or he thought our QB's couldn't handle it. I know some coaches only want one choice route per play. Here we've got everybody running one. That's a different philosophy for sure.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

The bottom one, all the routes change based on coverage. All choice routes. I don't think Scott Turner liked them, or he thought our QB's couldn't handle it. I know some coaches only want one choice route per play. Here we've got everybody running one. That's a different philosophy for sure.

I think the basic adjusted to a corner route was what Dotson scored on in the first preseason game.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I liked his college tape a lot.  But I still thought it was a luxury pick at the time.   For a FO that can force need based draft picks, Jamn Davis being a good example of that -- it surprises me how laid back they were about the offense.

They are grooming a young QB, have some more urgency in helping the dude.  If Ron doesnt believe in the O linemen in the draft than how about TE?

The Giants are raving about Hyatt, JMS and Banks who are sure fire starters this season.  Hawkins is likely their 4th starter from this class, maybe Owens, too.  So the Giants with 3-5 starters from the class for this season in all likelihood.  With us with 1 starter for 2023.

And in addition they are touting their move for Waller as a game changer for their offense.  And Campbell also with a big camp.

we can talk about all the contributions we are going to get in 2024 but for now as to starters in 2023 it looks like the Giants kicked our asses in this latest draft and in the off season in general.  

I am not a Daniel Jones guy so i am hoping he holds them back.

Damn SIP,  if I didn't know better Id think you were a Giant rat fan boasting their draft :ols:

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, tomwvr said:

Chase has to have more than a Stinger.... Or he just doesn't want to play in pre season and is playing it up as bothering him more than it does

Or RR is holding him out for a trade and doesn't want him getting hurt.

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

And it's gonna be awesome to watch. Maybe EB will exploit defenses weaknesses and pick on it over and over again? How will defenses cover Terry, Dotson and Samuel with one defender or in zone coverage? Sam, given time is gonna have his pick of options if he understands the offense. It's a new year Skins fans....can't wait.

• Like 2

The way they keep emphasizing that it was “self reported” which is really not a prefix I’ve ever heard before makes me wonder if there are specific protocols for it. Maybe it’s the same protocol regardless of self reported vs diagnosed but perhaps it wasn’t diagnosed and it triggered the protocol when he called it that vs letting the team docs do their diligence. 

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

People are super ready to break out the pitch forks on Quan. I swear, this place makes me sad. 

Two years from now if he's an all pro safety terrorizing the backfield and curl has left in free agency because we needed the money to sign howell to make a run at the superbowl, nobody will care that we didn't draft a guard in 2023.

13 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I wasnt really high on Martin in the draft. But apparently he has been quite impressive in camp so far. I agree he looked lost the other night. Games are obviously what matter. So we will see where he goes from here. 

Yep.  This coaching staff appears to be doing the same stupid **** with Quan they did with Jamin.  Playing him out of position, trying to make a rook learn multiple positions at the pro level instead of one, putting too much on his plate, etc.  I’ve seen this movie before.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, DWinzit said:

Damn SIP,  if I didn't know better Id think you were a Giant rat fan boasting their draft :ols:

I follow many NY sports reporters on twitter and its hard to miss how amped that team is for thier draft and off season in general.  When Brian Baldinger said he likes Washington but believes the Giants have VASTLY improved this off season and are the better team.  I get where he's likely getting his drift.

While we are wondering if our top FA signing, Wylie is a liability let alone an asset and wonder whether he's the weak link on the O line as some beat reporters hint -- the Giants are talking about how Waller is already perhaps the best player on their team and has opened up their offense for everyone.   Parris Campbell also has had a good camp for them.

Looks like they got 3-5 starters for 2023 out of this class.  And the others are stong rotational guys.  Comparing to us, I am not sure we got a single impact FA and by all indications we got 1 starter for 2023 from this draft.  

Last year, Logan Paulsen was saying we have more talent than the Giants but the Giants have better coaching.   I am not sure if they don't have better talent than us, too now.

And lol, yes I am painfully aware of this in part because as I mentioned many times i got more Giant fans in the mix of my family thanks to my in-laws than Washington fans.  So I am exposed to the disease.:ols:

Joe Schoen is a dude we've wanted in the FO thread for years.  So is Ryan Cowden who they added to their staff.  They also took one of Howie Roseman's top personnel guys.     Their FO and coaching staff is littered with high pedigreed guys.   They've built their staff like old school Joe Gibbs days where they try to get the best of the best of everything.

While some defend Ron that he's still building and working on his plan.  The Giants in year 1 of their rebuild accomplished more than Ron did in his 3 and the vibe is they will take an even bigger leap this year.   I said this months back but the Giants come off with more of a sense of urgency than Ron and I simply think they are a smarter and more competent outfit than what we got right now.

And again not because Ron is an idiot.  He's a C plus, B minus operator IMO.  He does more good than bad.  But he's competing IMO against A operations in the division as to FOs.  Even Dallas in recent years as Jerry Jones has let Will McClay do his thing.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, HTTSkins said:

I don’t get all the Giants love we will be as good if not better 

It's not Giants "love".  The players they've added have gotten much more hype in camp compared to our addtions.  It's not much of a debate.  

Most national observers think they are the better team -- just about everyone who rates coaching and FOs puts them way above ours.

Anything can happen though.  Maybe their players who have shined in camp and preseason end up stinking during the season.  But for now, they've definitely got the edge in hype.  Will see how it plays out. 

I was previously in the camp that while they had the better off season than this team, we'd still be as good or better.  But I am not feeling it the same way as both camps are unfolding.  Maybe our draft unfolds as a big one in 2024, but for 2023 the only slated starter we got is Forbes.  Giants are looking at three to five guys for 2023.  And their FA class is looking decent, too.  

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not Giants "love".  The players they've added have gotten much more hype in camp compared to our addtions.  It's not much of a debate.  

Most national observers think they are the better team -- just about everyone who rates coaching and FOs puts them way above ours.

Anything can happen tough.  Maybe their players who have shined in camp and preseason end up stinking during the season.  But for now, they've definitely got the edge in hype.  Will see how it plays out. 

I think they win the division over the Eagles and we finish just behind the Cowboys, who squeak into the playoffs.

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think they win the division over the Eagles and we finish just behind the Cowboys, who squeak into the playoffs.

The Giants are a hard team for me to predict.  They seem to worship Waller and what he's brought to that team.  And that's not hyperbole.  Feels a bit like it did when we had Jordan Reed.  We'd win often with Reed in the lineup but when he was out which was frequent we'd lose.  Waller is a better player than Reed IMO so when he's healthy he makes an even bigger impact.

Parris Campbell had a decent last season with the Colts and supposely is having a big camp.  Their got kllled with injuries last year.   4th most in the NFL.  Does that happen this year?

Looks like they got two starting corners from this draft and a safety.  And they already have McKiinney.    Their weaknesses last season were arguably LB, secondary, passing weapons, O line.  And they attacked ALL of those spots either in FA, trades, the draft.  Yes Ron you can address multiple weaknesses in an off season.  :ols:. They don't mess around. 

JMS is going to start.  Neal sucked last year in his rookie season.  Does he suck again or does he develop like Andrew Thomas who also had a rough start and is now elite?

Hyatt was clocked faster than peak Tyreek Hill and is having a big camp from what I read.  

In theory their passing weapons have gone from a weakness to a strength.  Wandale Robinson was coming on for them last season before his injury. 

I don't think they hold up against the Eagles.  The Eagles have owned the Giants, even bigger than the Giants have owned Washington.  I think they can compete against Dallas.

But I do think they have enough talent and better coaching than we do to basically keep us in the basement.

At the start of this off season I was annoyed with the Giants being annoited as better than this team.  But as it unfolded, I can't argue against it.  but I do think their season can unravel if Daniel Jones rediscovers his turnover gene, Neal continues to suck and Waller gets hurt. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1