Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2023 Draft - Hindsight Picks

“Misdirection”

I had Gonzo, JSN, Kancey, Flowers, Murphy and Banks ahead of Forbes. Kancey being the highest rated.

I would have removed JSN, Flowers and Kancey due to not a need position. 

I would have selected Gonzo. Later learning things about the teams process and thoughts on him, I am very comfortable with them not taking him. Bummed other teams knew their intentions. Feel we knew too through Keim. 

Wasn't it like Friday or Saturday that they said they would be talking trade options with teams from that point forward? That's where they must have leaked their possible intentions. 

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

I had Gonzo, JSN, Kancey, Flowers, Murphy and Banks ahead of Forbes. Kancey being the highest rated.

I would have removed JSN, Flowers and Kancey due to not a need position. 

I would have selected Gonzo. Later learning things about the teams process and thoughts on him, I am very comfortable with them not taking him. Bummed other teams knew their intentions. Feel we knew too through Keim. 

Wasn't it like Friday or Saturday that they said they would be talking trade options with teams from that point forward? That's where they must have leaked their possible intentions. 

Marty talking to other teams "come on man, we're taking Forbes or Harrison. Just trade up with us so we can grab them later"

Other teams "we're not, so we'll just wait". 

Jax was the only team with any interest that might have traded up, but they knew they didn't need to. 4 WRs and 2 DTs went after our pick. Detroit probably wanted to trade back, too, since they were locked onto Campbell early. Same with Buffalo and Kincad, but I bet they were hoping Gibbs slipped to them. Giants were the only other CB team and were probably comfortable with anyone else.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

I would encourage you to go watch film of the guys we got if you haven't already. And that includes some of the undrafted guys we signed. For example, the RB from Kentucky we drafted looks like a great pick...strong as hell and can run. Bieniemy supposedly really likes him. 

Forbes has great film and is a speed demon. Stromberg is solid and so is Daniels. Others drafted may be raw but have good potential to be better. Watch the tape on our picks and maybe you'll be more impressed. 

I don't think I worded my post the way I meant it to come out. I'm not knocking our draft. Our secondary needed an upgrade for sure and I think we took care of that. I was just wondering what people thought about this years draft class. It just seems like an average draft, not one you will look back on and say wow, a lot of talent came out that year. Time will tell.

Here's what I would have done @"Misdirection"

Trade 1.16 and 4.118 to New England for 1.14

Trade 2.47 to Tampa Bay for 2.50 and 6.179

1.14: Broderick Jones, LT Georgia

2.50: O'Cyrus Torrence, G Florida

3.97: Jakorian Bennet, CB Maryland

5.150: Antonio Johnson, S Texas A&M

5.179: Luke Wypler, C Ohio State

6.193: Deuce Vaughn, RB Kansas State

6.215: Ivan Pace, Jr, LB Cincinnati

7.233: Andre Carter, DE Army

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Any combination of players is better than what we drafted.  Literally any.  A computer AI system would have drafted better than Ron.  

I realize the top o-line were gone by 16. But we could have picked a 10 year franchise TE in Kincaid or Mayer.  Unsteady we took 2 small defense backs who will probably get beat up and won't sign here long term.  Bad draft Ron.    

13 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Any combination of players is better than what we drafted.  Literally any.  A computer AI system would have drafted better than Ron.  

I realize the top o-line were gone by 16. But we could have picked a 10 year franchise TE in Kincaid or Mayer.  Unsteady we took 2 small defense backs who will probably get beat up and won't sign here long term.  Bad draft Ron.    

My only knock on RR is that we seemed to have prioritized need over best/better available. I have no problem with the 1st round pick but after that we could've drafted higher rated prospects than what we took. I hate judging a draft before the kids get to show what they can do so I won't say this was a good, bad or mediocre draft. Maybe the needs were so glaring that we HAD to fill them when we picked? 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's what I would have done @"Misdirection"

Trade 1.16 and 4.118 to New England for 1.14

Trade 2.47 to Tampa Bay for 2.50 and 6.179

1.14: Broderick Jones, LT Georgia

2.50: O'Cyrus Torrence, G Florida

3.97: Jakorian Bennet, CB Maryland

5.150: Antonio Johnson, S Texas A&M

5.179: Luke Wypler, C Ohio State

6.193: Deuce Vaughn, RB Kansas State

6.215: Ivan Pace, Jr, LB Cincinnati

7.233: Andre Carter, DE Army

Someone else mentioned this too, I’d have definitely made the Broderick Jones trade if a 4th is all it took. 

like that you stuck with the same stacking of OL and DB as we did in actuality, just flipped the order on its head. 

1. Dalton Kincaid TE Utah - helps whoever starts at QB and I believe this position is our biggest weakness. 
2. Hendon Hooker QB Tennesee - I like Howell but when a top rated QB is still on the board and you don't know if the guy you got is the franchise you take him.
3. Dawand Jones OT Ohio State - offensive line can always use a new body and this guy is huge and with raw potential.
4. Zach Kuntz TE ODU
5. Zach Kuntz TE ODU
6. Zach Kuntz TE ODU - At this point rd 4-6 Kuntz was a high upside pick to fill a need.
7.  Max Duggan QB TCU - Since we didn't grab Hooker I would have taken a roll of the dice on a winner like Duggan who shows grit to be QB3.

These are the players I wanted each time we were on the clock.

• Like 1

Real-Time

1st Christian Gonzales CB

2nd Dawand Jones OT

3rd Adetomiwa Adebawore DE

4th Luke Wypler C

5th Ivan Pace LB

6th Zach Kuntz TE

7th Rakim Jarret WR

That is who I would have wanted us to draft in real time.    

I do think they probably made a good decision taking Forbes over Gonzales as Forbes is a better scheme fit for the Commanders.  I looked at O-Line as the most pressing need, even over corner, so after taking Gonzales in the first round I would have taken the player I thought was the best O-Lineman left.  If the coach feedback and the player interviews turned me off on Dawand Jones (things I don't have access to) I probably would have gone Cyrus Torrence there.  As Darnell Washington fell into the mid 80s I probably would have tried to trade up from 97 to grab him.  Maybe tried to trade my fifth round pick or something like that to move up from say 97 to 85.   But assuming I stuck at 97, I would have gone Adebawore.  Given that Luke Wypler went in the sixth round and Ivan Pace wasn't drafted at all, I would have taken them way too early in the 4th and 5th rounds, but at the time, I liked them.   Having the hindsight of the draft, I may instead take those two in rounds 6 and 7.  Kuntz is intriguing cause of his athleticism like Adebawore and as a Maryland fan, I was disappointed in Rakim Jarrett but still feel he could be something in the NFL.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, CovingtonCommander said:

1. Dalton Kincaid TE Utah - helps whoever starts at QB and I believe this position is our biggest weakness. 
2. Hendon Hooker QB Tennesee - I like Howell but when a top rated QB is still on the board and you don't know if the guy you got is the franchise you take him.
3. Dawand Jones OT Ohio State - offensive line can always use a new body and this guy is huge and with raw potential.
4. Zach Kuntz TE ODU
5. Zach Kuntz TE ODU
6. Zach Kuntz TE ODU - At this point rd 4-6 Kuntz was a high upside pick to fill a need.
7.  Max Duggan QB TCU - Since we didn't grab Hooker I would have taken a roll of the dice on a winner like Duggan who shows grit to be QB3.

These are the players I wanted each time we were on the clock.

We really screwed up not taking Kincaid.  He will be the next Kelce and our picks probably won't even sign past their rookie contracts.  I will never understand Ron's thought process this draft.  

• Thumb up 1

On 5/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, philibusters said:

Real-Time

1st Christian Gonzales CB

2nd Dawand Jones OT

3rd Adetomiwa Adebawore DE

4th Luke Wypler C

5th Ivan Pace LB

6th Zach Kuntz TE

7th Rakim Jarret WR

So I quoted what I would have done in real time... with hindsight I have come up with two possible drafts.

Draft A

1.  Emmanuel Forbes

2.  John Michael Schmitz

3.  Dawand Jones

4.  Jake Haener

5.  KJ Henry

6.  Deuce Vaughn

7.  Ivan Pace Jr. or Anthony Johnson Jr.

Draft B

1.  Emmanuel Forbes

2.  O'Cyrus Torrence

3.  Adetomiwa Adebawore

4.  Carter Warren

5.  Luke Wypler or SirVocea Dennis

6.  Deuce Vaughn

7.   Anthony Johnson Jr.

I would have to know more about Dawand Jones to have a good feel for which of those two options I prefer.  Dawand Jones has top 10 talent, but is a prime bust candidate.  If I am completely out on Jones then I take Draft B.   But if I am not completely out on Jones I probably take draft A.   

I do love the value of KJ Henry in the fifth round.  I feel like he is a beter value in the 5th than Adebawore in the 3rd.  Adebawore has the much higher ceiling, but Henry is better now and has the higher floor and probably their median point is pretty close.  How much does a high ceiling really matter?  I also love getting Anthony Johnson Jr. in the 7th.  A safety who can play the the slot.  He felt like a good fit for the team.   

The seventh round selection is hard.  I like Ivan Pace Jr., but I think I like the safety, Anthony Johnson Jr. from Iowa St even more.  I feel like Anthony Johnson Jr. can play the slot and play a similar role to Bobby McCain last year.  Don't know if he could play the Buffalo nickel.   Ivan Pace Jr. by contrast is a heck of a blitzer and can cover some and has good run instincts, but he if a blocker gets on him in the run game, he is a liability

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Two more hindsight draft scenarios just for fun

Class C focuses on position value

Round 1:  Will Levis QB

Round 2:  Dawand Jones T

Round 3.  Adetomiwa Adebawore DE

Round 4:  Charlie Jones WR

Round 5:  Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson CB

Round 6:  Chris Rodriguez RB

Round 7:  Anthony Johnson Jr. S

The idea behind this draft is in the first five rounds you take premium positions.  If any of them hit you will get a huge surplus value.  In rounds 6 and 7 there is more of an effort to fill needs.

Class D focuses on a combo of position value and trying to anticipate future needs

1.  Myles Murphy DE

2.  Hendon Hooker QB

3.  Dawand Jones T

4.  Clark Phillips III CB

5.  SirVocea Dennis LB

6.  Chris Rodriguez RB

7.  Anthony Johnson Jr.

Its a fun exercise.

• Like 3

On 5/1/2023 at 10:40 AM, Daniel.redskins said:

On 5/4/2023 at 8:56 PM, Daniel.redskins said:

We really screwed up not taking Kincaid.  He will be the next Kelce and our picks probably won't even sign past their rookie contracts.  I will never understand Ron's thought process this draft.  

Lol I'm curious how you can predict something like this 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2023 at 9:45 PM, duffy said:

Lol I'm curious how you can predict something like this 

If a team has to choose where to put money, it's typically not DBs.  After we pay Young, Sweat, and Davis we will be broke on defense.  The first round pick should have been a tight end.  But that's just how I feel and hopefully I'm wrong.  

9 hours ago, Daniel.redskins said:

If a team has to choose where to put money, it's typically not DBs.  After we pay Young, Sweat, and Davis we will be broke on defense.  The first round pick should have been a tight end.  But that's just how I feel and hopefully I'm wrong.  

I'm surprised you think we're signing all three of them. I would've liked a TE, too. But I think we're all going to like the guy we got. Even you. 

On 5/13/2023 at 1:50 AM, duffy said:

I'm surprised you think we're signing all three of them. I would've liked a TE, too. But I think we're all going to like the guy we got. Even you. 

I wouldn't be surprised if the next administration passes on Jamin's 5th year option. I believe it's going to be above his market value. He gets paid between Holcomb and Okereke money if he were a free agent today if I were to guess

On 5/18/2023 at 7:32 PM, method man said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the next administration passes on Jamin's 5th year option. I believe it's going to be above his market value. He gets paid between Holcomb and Okereke money if he were a free agent today if I were to guess

Yeah I don't think he gets picked up either. Lots of teams passed on their linebacker draft picks' options this off-season, too. 

On 5/4/2023 at 5:56 PM, Daniel.redskins said:

I was quietly wanting Kincaid too but I'm not mad at all with Forbes. I do think Kincaid could have been the last puzzle piece on offense we needed except maybe one more Tackle. 

On 5/18/2023 at 7:32 PM, method man said:

LBers just don't make bank, unless they're league best players. No reason to pick up the 5th. That's a huge raise for one year.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

LBers just don't make bank, unless they're league best players. No reason to pick up the 5th. That's a huge raise for one year.

Unless of course they decide to ignore drafting a LB or wait until late day 3...then he will get that 5th year picked up.

Hoping those days will be behind us with Danny

• Like 1

Hindsight

Now, I was at a point where I was very tempted to go Levis first, but I do like Sam a lot, and will go:

1st: TE Dalton Kincaid

2nd: OT Tyler Steen

3rd: OG Anthony Bradford

4th: S Jammie Robinson

5th: CB Terrell Smith

6th:  WR A.T. Perry

7th: RB Kenny McIntosh

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 10:40 AM, Daniel.redskins said:

Agree with this post. Our drafting  team sat on their hands and watched Pitt move up to take the last best OT when anyone with any sense knew the top 5 OT would be gone by 16 so a move up was called for but we did nothing. Then we draft an undersized corner and dollars to donuts Gonzo ends up a better player than Forbes, my opinion. Then we wonder why Pitt has won for the last 20 years while we stunk. They know how to draft and we don’t, period.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...