Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2023 Draft - Hindsight Picks

“Misdirection”

If I were picking at the Commander's position and the exact same players were available as they were in actuality, and also trying to be honest about not knowing what would have happened in the rounds ahead, I would have chosen as follows:

1. Harrison

2. John Michael Schmitz

3. Dawand Jones

4. Herbig

5. Antonio Johnson

6. Vaughn

7. Willis

We would have been in much better shape on the o-line and at all lightly deeper at LB, but worse off at DB and DL

• Like 2

Using hindsight now, combined with my rankings:

1 - Forbes - As a ballhawk he was the best in class. I didn't have him ranked that high personally due to his size (mainly for injury concerns), but I did love his ballhawk ability. I'm fine here.

2 - Mauch

3 - Dawand Jones (now that we know there wasn't really anything strange going on other than him skipping our workout on purpose)

After that I haven't really looked at / researched again (and it's been awhile) but I would have 100% taken Ivan Pace somewhere. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, KDawg said:

1 - Forbes - As a ballhawk he was the best in class. I didn't have him ranked that high personally due to his size (mainly for injury concerns), but I did love his ballhawk ability. I'm fine here.

But it is the hindsight thread, you like him enough now that you'd take him over Gonzales?

The reports are he's looked pretty good in camp.

2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

But it is the hindsight thread, you like him enough now that you'd take him over Gonzales?

The reports are he's looked pretty good in camp.

I liked his ballhawk ability better than anyone else’s. So yes, I could have reasonably taken him there. Only reason I had Gonzo and others more highly rated was size. If you tell me the goal was turnovers I would take Forbes every time.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

A bunch of the players who were on my guys lists, my favorite 20 players in this draft, are having a good preseason:  Pace, Darnell, Keion White, Laporta, Mauch, Brayden Willis Clayton Tune  I like Dawand a lot too if his personality checked out. 

Also on my guys list, and they wouldn't have had to take him early, late rounder LB, Sirvocea Dennis.

This team's draft right now is feeling almost like a luxury draft.  Judging by beat guys, we got one starter for 2024 in this mix.  One front line backup.  And the rest are in the 2024-2025 plans.  I get it when a former GM on a podcast, Mueller, said Rivera acts like he has all the job security-time in the world with no sense of urgency.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 9:15 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Now that we're in camp....

1-JMS

2- Quan (Mauch if we're picking guys we didn't pick)

3- Dawaan

4- Herbig

5- Mafi

6- Vaugn

7- Willis

1. Forbes.  He wasn't my top pick at the time but I was fine with it)   

2. Mauch.  (Quan was one of my top favorites but we need an O line and Mauch was one of my favs too.

3. Dawand Jones.

4. Herbig

5. Jammie Robinson

6.  Willis

7. I Pace

• Like 4

With the incredible depth of DB's I have a hard time not thinking back to:

What if we hadn't telegraphed selecting Forbes and been good with a possible trade back to get more valuable picks. It would have allowed us to fill more roster holes and address the OL better.

Maybe we could have grabbed this guy a little later in the 1st, he seemed to be a good fit for EB:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/17/anton-harrison-quick-feet-jaguars-phil-rauscher/

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

With the incredible depth of DB's I have a hard time not thinking back to:

What if we hadn't telegraphed selecting Forbes and been good with a possible trade back to get more valuable picks. It would have allowed us to fill more roster holes and address the OL better.

Maybe we could have grabbed this guy a little later in the 1st, he seemed to be a good fit for EB:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2023/08/17/anton-harrison-quick-feet-jaguars-phil-rauscher/

I think it was the Chiefs who had the two late 1rsts. If we could have flipped our 1/2 for those picks and grabbed Anton and JMS, we'd have still been able to get Ringo and Herbig and this is a much better team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I think it was the Chiefs who had the two late 1rsts. If we could have flipped our 1/2 for those picks and grabbed Anton and JMS, we'd have still been able to get Ringo and Herbig and this is a much better team.

Well, I guess that would have been making an OL statement! 

They could have gone a lot of different ways to improve the roster still adding quality in the DB beyond the top of the first round 

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Well, I guess that would have been making an OL statement! 

They could have gone a lot of different ways to improve the roster still adding quality in the DB beyond the top of the first round 

DB was so deep this year and it seems like the one spot we're good at drafting, so it was a head scratcher.

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

DB was so deep this year and it seems like the one spot we're good at drafting, so it was a head scratcher.

They just seemed so enamored with Forbes and based on the way the draft fell Quan that there was little consideration for the quality of DB depth. 

Since the last few years we go into the drafts with wayyyy too many needs, I have been a fan of moves like our trade back for Dotson and wanted a trade back instead of taking Chase and Forbes for other resent first rounders

• Like 1

Damn it I hate our draft. Not that we don't have any good players from it, buy it could have been so good. 

I would have missed on Pace for sure, but come away with SoVacca Dennis and Herbig, Eli Ricks is having a strong camp. So is Kelee Ringo. JMS too.

• Like 1

Damn, underrated Roschon Johnson and Bigsy too much. Good players. Duece Vaughn as well. Tip of hat to those who liked them more than I did. The sleeper team for me this year is the Saints. I flat out did not want Carr, but I think he is a great fit and could be phenomenal for them. Tip of the hat to SIP for that one. 

• Like 2

This thread is starting to hurt more with all your posts and many of the guys we all liked as good fits for this team.

Here's another a few of us liked in the 7th and then went undrafted (and lol to the "shockingly"):

Undrafted rookie Tyson Bagent could earn the Bears’ No. 2 quarterback job.

Shockingly, P.J. Walker and Nathan Peterman have not been impressive behind Justin Fields. Bagent completed 9-of-10 passes and rushed for a touchdown against the Colts on Saturday evening. “I think everything’s open right now. I really do,” coach Matt Eberflus said. “You never put a ceiling on any player. You’ll see guys, they get into a game and they start rising up.” A record-setting Division II quarterback, Bagent posted absurd numbers for Shepherd. At the very least, it appears he will force the Bears to carry him on their practice squad to begin the year.

2h ago

Source: Pro Football Talk

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news

Would have been better than Fromm!

Edited by DWinzit
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

This thread is starting to hurt more with all your posts and many of the guys we all liked as good fits for this team.

Here's another a few of us liked in the 7th and then went undrafted (and lol to the "shockingly"):

Undrafted rookie Tyson Bagent could earn the Bears’ No. 2 quarterback job.

Shockingly, P.J. Walker and Nathan Peterman have not been impressive behind Justin Fields. Bagent completed 9-of-10 passes and rushed for a touchdown against the Colts on Saturday evening. “I think everything’s open right now. I really do,” coach Matt Eberflus said. “You never put a ceiling on any player. You’ll see guys, they get into a game and they start rising up.” A record-setting Division II quarterback, Bagent posted absurd numbers for Shepherd. At the very least, it appears he will force the Bears to carry him on their practice squad to begin the year.

2h ago

Source: Pro Football Talk

https://www.nbcsports.com/fantasy/football/player-news

Would have been better than Fromm!

He's a friend of mine's neighbors kid and I was hearing about him for a while. Really wanted to draft him.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's a friend of mine's neighbors kid and I was hearing about him for a while. Really wanted to draft him.

It's a shame they couldn't have pulled out a couple more 7th round picks. There were an unusual number of talented guys I liked that went undrafted. 

I usually have one or two 7th round QB's on my "My Guys" list, he was the only one this year.

• Like 1

Darnell Wright

OT | Tennessee

Cody Mauch

IOL | North Dakota State

Nick Herbig

LB | Wisconsin

Ricky Stromberg

IOL | Arkansas

Eli Ricks

CB | Alabama

Chris Rodriguez Jr.

RB | Kentucky

Nick Hampton

EDGE | Appalachian State

Brayden Willis

TE | Oklahoma

Round 1

9 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm convinced that you do this daily to get a dopamine rush from the pain you cause the rest of us.

Also, we should get hired into a NFL FO. 

Every day. He just wakes up and attacks his friends. I think the in depth arguments about the Oline and Ron are getting to him and he's lashing out.  :ols:

• Haha 2