Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2023 Draft - Hindsight Picks

“Misdirection”

Got some support for this idea in the draft thread but didn’t want to muddy up the conversation. 

This thread is to stake your claims as armchair GM and see how we’d have faired if you were at the helm. Should be fun to look back on as we get to next years draft and onwards. 

There’s two ways to approach this:

1) Real-time (who I would’ve picked while watching live)

2) Hindsight (who I would pick knowing how everything ended up)

Real-Time

1st Christian Gonzales CB

2nd Darnell Washington TE

3rd Dawand Jones OT

4th Braeden Daniels OT/OG

5th Israel Abanikanda RB

6th Ivan Pace LB

7th Max Duggan QB

Hindsight

1st Jack Campbell LB

2nd Cody Mauch OT

3rd Ricky Stromberg C

4th Nick Herbig DE

5th Darius Rush CB

6th Zach Kuntz TE

7th Cory Trice CB

My approach was to use the trade up we made. But feel free to use our original picks, or base a hypothetical trade up another team made on the actual compensation used. 

@JamesMadisonSkins I’m expecting absolute hypothetical trade chaos for your take and will accept nothing less

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Campbell would have certainly been in play for me at 16. And I had him higher rated than Forbes. But I’m not a fan of the what if game. We got who we got.

Doing this exercise actually I realized I’m happier with what we got than expected.

All that time you spent researching these prospects, I’m surprised you don’t want to even attempt at least the real time version. 

You certainly had thoughts throughout the draft thread, you’d have made exactly the same picks in real time off of your board? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, “Misdirection” said:

Doing this exercise actually I realized I’m happier with what we got than expected.

All that time you spent researching these prospects, I’m surprised you don’t want to even attempt at least the real time version. 

You certainly had thoughts throughout the draft thread, you’d have made exactly the same picks in real time off of your board? 

Nope. But the exercise doesn’t really work for me because if I take, say, Campbell at 16 then the board falls much different. 

In real time the only guy I would have taken where we did was Stromberg.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Nope. But the exercise doesn’t really work for me because if I take, say, Campbell at 16 then the board falls much different. 

In real time the only guy I would have taken where we did was Stromberg.

Fair point as to the exercise, certainly not a perfect projection for that reason.

Take it a different way then. Presume everything is the same with our picks except for the one round you’re evaluating a selection.

Ex) We take Forbes R1, where do you go R2?

Ex) We take Forbes, Martin, Stromberg, where do you go Round 4? 

You seem good with Forbes and Stromberg.  Most interested in your Round 2 thoughts tbh

Playing roughly along… given the formula you gave:

1. Jack Campbell

2. Cody Mauch

3. Kelee Ringo

4. Charlie Jones

5. Will Mallory

6. DeWayne McBride (but Rod is the same idea)

7. Jason Taylor II

This is hard to do without staring at a list of guys, though.

And it looks like I would have taken Ringo over Stromberg, but in real time that would have been tough 

• Like 2

I don't think hindsight works until 1-2 years down the line.

I'm one of those people who fully admits I don't do tons of research and am unfamiliar with 85% of the players so I don't really know until I see them play. I mostly judge initially by need and whatever analysis I read by the experts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I'm one of those people who fully admits I don't do tons of research and am unfamiliar with 85% of the players so I don't really know until I see them play. I mostly judge initially by need and whatever analysis I read by the experts.

I agree. Doesn’t particularly work and not a fan of the exercise. But I played along.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Gonna be honest, I’m not convinced Forbes wouldn’t have made it to 47, either. I don’t THINK he would have. But who knows. I think teams had Banks, Gonzo and maybe even Brents over him. But we’ll never know. If Forbes was at 47, I take him perhaps. 

Lots of “if…”

i am surprised i have so much overlap with @KDawg.  I usually don't have much disagreement with him but typically i have a little more than I did this draft season. :ols:

I like Campbell over Forbes too but not at 16 for me.  With the benefit of seeing how it played out

1.  Myles Murphy. (backup pick Nolan Smith)

2.  Cody Mauch (backup pick DJ Turner) but I love Quan Martin too.  I said on the draft thread days ago, I'd consider at 47. 

3.  Kelle Ringo (backup pick Stromberg) 

4.  Yasir Abdullah (backup pick Herbig)

5.  Will Mallory (backup pick Darius Rush)

6.  Carrington Valentine (back up pick Zach Evans) but with hindsight liked their Rodriguez pick, if I watched him closely he might have been my pick too at the time.

7. Brayden Willis (backup pick Kenny McIntosh)

Agree though its cheating some because you can see how the draft unfolded and pick accordingly.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

i am surprised i have so much overlap with @KDawg.  I usually don't have much disagreement with him but typically i have a little more than I did this draft season. :ols:

I like Campbell over Forbes too but not at 16 for me.  With the benefit of seeing how it played out

1.  Myles Murphy. (backup pick Nolan Smith)

2.  Cody Mauch (backup pick DJ Turner) but I love Quan Martin too.  I said on the draft thread days ago, I'd consider at 47. 

3.  Kelle Ringo (backup pick Stromberg) 

4.  Yasir Abdullah (backup pick Herbig)

5.  Will Mallory (backup pick Darius Rush)

6.  Carrington Valentine (back up pick Zach Miller) but with hindsight liked their Rodriguez pick, if I watched him closely he might have been my pick too at the time.

7. Brayden Willis (backup pick Kenny McIntosh)

Agree though its cheating some because you can see how the draft unfolded and pick accordingly.

Oh. Yup. I would have taken Murphy over Campbell. Campbell would have been next on my list.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Oh. Yup. I would have taken Murphy over Campbell. Campbell would have been next on my list.

We should now try it their way. :D    Box us into only two positions which can be had every round, the rest of the draft is off limits, until round 7 where anything goes.  Much harder and IMO less productive, too.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

this is me with the exception of perusing the comprehensive draft thread here for some insights lol

don’t really consume any other draft content outside of the RAS guy on Twitter

In real time I just knew we had a corner need and Gonzales was highest rated and made sense. Didn’t know anything about Forbes. 

In hindsight of learning more about each; I actually like what we did. 

1 hour ago, “Misdirection” said:

Hindsight

1st Jack Campbell LB

2nd Cody Mauch OT

3rd Ricky Stromberg C

4th Nick Herbig DE

5th Darius Rush CB

6th Zach Kuntz TE

7th Cory Trice CB

I would have gone Harrison in the 1rst and Sanders in the 2nd and the rest would have been the same.

With our lost pick, I'd grab Broeker or Duncan.

I also would have tried to grab Hunter Luepke some how.

Harrison

Sanders

Stromberg

Herbig

Rush

Kuntz

Duncan

Trice

3 new Olinemen as depth

2 new CBs for depth

2 new LBers that can attack the QB with room to lean off ball.

• Like 2

I was pleasantly surprised to see some unpicked players after the 4th round.

2nd Cody Mauch OT

3rd Dawand Jones OT

4th Ventrell Miller, LB, Florida

5th Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

6th Jartavius Martin S/CB

7th Ricky Stromberg C Arkansas

21 minutes ago, gooseneck said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see some unpicked players after the 4th round.

2nd Cody Mauch OT

3rd Dawand Jones OT

4th Ventrell Miller, LB, Florida

5th Emmanuel Forbes CB Mississippi State

6th Jartavius Martin S/CB

7th Ricky Stromberg C Arkansas

You wanted to bust three times and get it out of the way before picking I guess. Bold stratagy.  :ols:

• Haha 1

Here is the original post I put in the draft thread

"I would like to see a thread where posters would use final list of the picks and the original team draft order and list who they would've preferred selected.  No trading, just the original 16, 47, 97, 118, 150, 193, 215, 233 slots."

I used NFL Draft Tracker and I couldn't double back on a Washington pick (no taking Forbes in the second, for example.)

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/picks/

Pick 17 OT  - I considered Harrison, but selected Matthew Bergeron

Pick 47 CB - DJ Turner II 

Pick 97 OG -  Chandler Zavala

Pick 118 Edge -  KJ Henry - surprised I ended up with him but that was the way it fell for the position

Pick 150 LB - Henry To'o To'o - Damn it, I was going to pick an LB, plus they had to have an Alabama pick

Pick 193 WR - Elijah Higgins - a tall WR instead of a any TE available at this pick

Pick 215 RB - Dewayne McBride, although I did consider Mohamed Ibrahim

Pick 233 Saf - Anthony Johnson Jr, - converted CB with safety skills - I was surprised he went so late

I came away with a better respect of the Commanders' selections.  

BTW - Not having pick #79 (Wentz), meant the loss of an excitement pick - RB Spears or Achane, TE Washington or LB Henley 

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

When you look at our defense I can see why we went Forbes. We need corners to cover the likes of CD Lamb, the Eagles WR's and the Giants WR's and Forbes is a game changer who plays with great confidence. If our line can get pressure like it should then Forbes is gonna eat. Linebackers are seemingly not as high a priority as they used to be because it's such a pass first league now. Whoever said we're likely gonna go with 5 dbacks more often than not I agree with. 

Our secondary should now be a strength with Curl, Forrest, Forbes and the others back there. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I know it's too early to know but looking back at the draft, was this years class not real impressive or was it just our draft.

I would encourage you to go watch film of the guys we got if you haven't already. And that includes some of the undrafted guys we signed. For example, the RB from Kentucky we drafted looks like a great pick...strong as hell and can run. Bieniemy supposedly really likes him. 

Forbes has great film and is a speed demon. Stromberg is solid and so is Daniels. Others drafted may be raw but have good potential to be better. Watch the tape on our picks and maybe you'll be more impressed. 

• Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

When you look at our defense I can see why we went Forbes. We need corners to cover the likes of CD Lamb, the Eagles WR's and the Giants WR's and Forbes is a game changer who plays with great confidence. If our line can get pressure like it should then Forbes is gonna eat. Linebackers are seemingly not as high a priority as they used to be because it's such a pass first league now. Whoever said we're likely gonna go with 5 dbacks more often than not I agree with. 

Our secondary should now be a strength with Curl, Forrest, Forbes and the others back there. 

Good points.  For the same reason, I considered CB in round 1 for my hindsight draft although I decided OT was my target.  If I had picked CB in round one, I would have gone Gonzalez, but I think they both are quality.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Good points.  For the same reason, I considered CB in round 1 for my hindsight draft although I decided OT was my target.  If I had picked CB in round one, I would have gone Gonzalez, but I think they both are quality.

We NEED Chase Young to be great and guys like Forbes, Curl are gonna thrive on the forced mistakes created by Chase and the others on that d-line. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

We NEED Chase Young to be great and guys like Forbes, Curl are gonna thrive on the forced mistakes created by Chase and the others on that d-line. 

Agree, but remember this is a "hindsight" re-draft thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

Gonz was the run away CB in the first until the bad work habits and no love of the game stuff started.

• Like 1