Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

It seems a terrible shame to pick for need at the very top of the second. There are typically 2 or 3 picks that were viewed as first rounders and dropped, and I’d so much rather grab them than take OT just because we need two. 

I really hope we shore up the roster enough in FA to grab BPA at #36 and #40. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Oh, I think we'll take an OL with one of those early second rounders, just that it'll likely be an IOL vs tackle.  Frankly, the LG & C positions killed us last year.  

The top tier tackles are going to be long gone.  I don't see anyone slipping to 36.  At that stage, we're looking at Patrick Paul and the Yale T.  We've already had bad experiences with Chris Paul, so I don't think Patrick Paul is going to intrigue us.  Better to see if any of the top centers or IOL make it to 36.

Heck, Carolina (33), Arizona (34, and NE (35) all need OL help too.  

I do agree this is both a loaded OL class AND there are many teams with OL needs. However, historically speaking here are your results for OTs drafted by the time Pick #36 rolls around...

2023: 4 

2022:5 

2021: 3

2020: 6

2019: 5

2018: 2

So over the last 6 years an average of 4.2 OTs have been drafted before pick #36. Let's go ahead and round up. It's a loaded class and there's some perceived need. Let's just say 5 go before our pick. So we have a shot at the 6th OT at #36

PFF groups Fautanu and Barton as OTs although I think many here expect them to be OGs. But here's who that would leave on the table at #36:

Troy Fautanu (#35), Graham Barton #36), Kiran Amegadjie (#43), Tyler Guyton (#49), Patrick Paul (#54)

If you go to CBSSports here's who we'd be looking at at #36:

Jordan Morgan (#44), Tyler Guyton (#45), Patrick Paul (#49), Kingsley Suamataia (#50)

There are a couple years where a lineman goes between #36. Similar number for #40. What about Pick #66?

2023: 7

2022: 5

2021: 9

2020: 7

2019: 7

2018: 5

Over the last 6 years, 6.67 OTs have been drafted by the time pick #66 rolls around. So we'll go ahead and roll up to be conservative ... 7 OTs gone. So we can get the #8 OT. Here's who PFF would have there:

Tyler Guyton (#49), Patrick Paul (#54), Kingsley Suamataia (#69)

For CBS rankings ...

Patrick Paul (#49), Kingsley Suamataia (#50), Zion Nelson (#71), Christian Jones (#72)

So all of that is to say, we WILL have options to draft there. And if things were to fall into place like they did in 2022 or 2023, we'd be looking at Mims or Fuaga falling to us. Of course, that is very unlikely to happen. It's simply a loaded OT class so teams are likely to go OT early and often as it is more BPA than maybe in years past. But just wanted to point out that we'll still be accessing some real good OL talent at both #36/40 and #66

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I do agree this is both a loaded OL class AND there are many teams with OL needs. However, historically speaking here are your results for OTs drafted by the time Pick #36 rolls around...

2023: 4 

2022:5 

2021: 3

2020: 6

2019: 5

2018: 2

So over the last 6 years an average of 4.2 OTs have been drafted before pick #36. Let's go ahead and round up. It's a loaded class and there's some perceived need. Let's just say 5 go before our pick. So we have a shot at the 6th OT at #36

PFF groups Fautanu and Barton as OTs although I think many here expect them to be OGs. But here's who that would leave on the table at #36:

Troy Fautanu (#35), Graham Barton #36), Kiran Amegadjie (#43), Tyler Guyton (#49), Patrick Paul (#54)

If you go to CBSSports here's who we'd be looking at at #36:

Jordan Morgan (#44), Tyler Guyton (#45), Patrick Paul (#49), Kingsley Suamataia (#50)

There are a couple years where a lineman goes between #36. Similar number for #40. What about Pick #66?

2023: 7

2022: 5

2021: 9

2020: 7

2019: 7

2018: 5

Over the last 6 years, 6.67 OTs have been drafted by the time pick #66 rolls around. So we'll go ahead and roll up to be conservative ... 7 OTs gone. So we can get the #8 OT. Here's who PFF would have there:

Tyler Guyton (#49), Patrick Paul (#54), Kingsley Suamataia (#69)

For CBS rankings ...

Patrick Paul (#49), Kingsley Suamataia (#50), Zion Nelson (#71), Christian Jones (#72)

So all of that is to say, we WILL have options to draft there. And if things were to fall into place like they did in 2022 or 2023, we'd be looking at Mims or Fuaga falling to us. Of course, that is very unlikely to happen. It's simply a loaded OT class so teams are likely to go OT early and often as it is more BPA than maybe in years past. But just wanted to point out that we'll still be accessing some real good OL talent at both #36/40 and #66

I don't see only 5 OTs going frankly.  This is a bad edge class, so maybe only 3 go R1 (Turner, Verse, Robinson).  The CB class isn't great either (more relatively depth pieces will go).  Ditto the Safety class.  Ditto the DT class.  Ditto the TE (sans Bowers) and RB (no one).  The tackles are going to go simply by the dearth of other quality.  I can easily see (in no particular order) Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, Latham, Guyton, Fashanu, Barton, and Mimms going R1.  Some (like Barton & Fashanu) will be looked at as IOL players.  

I haven’t watched DTs at all… or corners really…

But this is who I think goes in the first:

Williams

Maye

Daniels

McCarthy

Penix

Alt

Fashanu

Fuaga

Latham

Mims

Verse

Robinson

Turner

Harrison

Nabers

Legette

Odunze

Coleman

Beebe (ugh.)

Kool-Aid

Dejean

Kinchens

Bowers

Latu

Wiggins

Murphy

Arnold

Trice

Then you can get guys like Nix, Guyton, Fautanu, Worthy and Sanders in the mix.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I haven’t watched DTs at all… or corners really…

But this is who I think goes in the first:

Williams

Maye

Daniels

McCarthy

Penix

Alt

Fashanu

Fuaga

Latham

Mims

Verse

Robinson

Turner

Harrison

Nabers

Legette

Odunze

Coleman

Beebe (ugh.)

Kool-Aid

Dejean

Kinchens

Bowers

Latu

Wiggins

Murphy

Arnold

Trice

Then you can get guys like Nix, Guyton, Fautanu, Worthy and Sanders in the mix.

Looks like a good list. Probably 5 other players that can be added.

6 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I don't think any good tackles are going to land at #36 frankly.  Too many teams needs them and this draft has got them in spades.  We'll have to trade up huge to get someone like Fuaga and it will cost many of our day 2 capital.  The top tier (however you rank them) of Fuaga, Guyton, Alt, Fashanu, Latham, etc will be long gone.   I think I'm with you on targeting defense with those early 2nd rounders.  Now, I could see us taking a young guard with one of those two 2nd rounders since I think they will be around there.  I could also see us taking a top tier center at 36 and signing a vet guard in FA to pair help that center along with Cosmi and Caleb/Drake assuming the new staff doesn't warm to Stromberg. Stromberg was also thought by the previous staff to be playing well at guard.  I wonder if he gets shot at LG?   

We are going to have to spend in FA for a credible RT.  Do we spend big bucks on Tyron Smith and ask him to be the RT (somewhere he has never played) as a stopgap?  He's injury prone, but he's basically like Whitworth at his stage of his career when the Rams got him.  Dallas is going to have to let him go as they are in a cap crunch with looming extensions f or Lamb and Parsons.   

Probably not any OTs that can start from day one and be really good, but there will likely be developmental tackles with high end potential in the second round.  Someone like Dion Dawkins, who is a beast, was picked at the end of the second round in his draft year.  Kiran Amegadjie and Patrick Paul seem like a really good candidate to me.  Amegadjie is ultra-toolsy with almost 37" arms.  I want to actually see some film from him before I'm sold, but the point being that interesting project players like him or Spencer Brown or Dawand Jones, etc. are usually there in second.  Patrick Paul reminds me of Spencer Brown, and I could see him creeping into the first round if he runs as well at the combine as Chris Paul did.  He is massive and has elite length and he's got three years of good starting LT reps under his belt.  I think Paul is better than Anton Harrison was, and he was pretty good as a rookie.  He also has left tackle potential for when Leno gets old, or walks.  This is a strong OT class and there isn't enough room in the first round for all of them, we'll be able to get someone good at 36.

At this point Cosmi is a vet, and I think he can be expected to help elevate young players next to him.

I would not pursue Tyron Smith.  He can obviously still play, but he misses every other year and even his healthy years are only 700-800 snaps now.  I don't want to have to pay what he'll cost for an aging vet who needs a month off every season, best case scenario.

I'm looking at PFF's draft board, and Patrick Paul is their 54th prospect and Byron Murphy is their 44th prospect.  Based off that ranking, what I would try and do is pick Jonah Elliss at 36 (37th on their board), then trade down in the second and up from the third to get two mid seconds and target those guys.  I feel like that would give us a ton of reinforcement for our lines, which have seriously degraded under Rivera's watch.  Then we can use our FA dollars to go after a vet IOL and a stud DB.

36 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Don't see how the Bears can pass on Williams if this is how the majority of NFL scouts/GM's see him. Not to keep Justin Fields. So how close to Williams are the others? I'd assume not all that close based on this write-up. 

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

I don't see only 5 OTs going frankly.  This is a bad edge class, so maybe only 3 go R1 (Turner, Verse, Robinson).  The CB class isn't great either (more relatively depth pieces will go).  Ditto the Safety class.  Ditto the DT class.  Ditto the TE (sans Bowers) and RB (no one).  The tackles are going to go simply by the dearth of other quality.  I can easily see (in no particular order) Fashanu, Alt, Fuaga, Latham, Guyton, Fashanu, Barton, and Mimms going R1.  Some (like Barton & Fashanu) will be looked at as IOL players.  

Seven OTs might go in the first, but that would still leave a couple in our range in the second.  But I think you might be underrating DL this year, and the DB class in particular.  I think Verse, Latu, Robinson, Turner, Newton, and Trice are pretty safe bets to be first round picks as DLs.  I also think Elliss and Leonard Taylor have a shot at going first round too, and I have a hard time rationalizing why T'Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy wouldn't go first round when Calijah Kancey and Vita Vea were early first round picks.  Kris Jenkins could be in play in the first too if he runs really well considering how good a year he had in that dominant Michigan front, his elite length, and his elite NFL pedigree.  Not all of those 11 guys will go in the first of course, but a lot of them will.  That group of names + Tuimaloau and Braswell are gonna provide most of our BPA options in the 30s.

I think DB sees a run starting in the mid teens into the 30s.  The two Alabama kids are going first round, and Dejean will probably run incredibly well and go in the teens too.  Wiggins will go in the first round.  After them, Rakestraw, Lassiter, and Nubin are all strong bets to go late first.  If not, they'll be in the BPA mix too.  Seven DBs, maybe eight DLs, four QBs, five receivers, one tight end, and seven OLs is 32 first rounders.  There will be some linemen worth picking as BPAs in the 30s.

• Like 1

I agree that this is a weak class for the defense and is loaded at QB, WR and OT. But someone ALWAYS falls. I have a hard, hard time believing that we'll go from a historical average of 4-6 OL drafted by #36 to something astronomical.

Dane Brugler is pretty good - his two round mock is INSANE for OL. 

7. TEN - Alt

10. NYJ - Fashanu

13. LV - Latham

18. CIN - Mims

21. MIA - Powers-Johnson (Center)

23. HOU - Fuaga

24. DAL - Guyton

25. GB - Fautanu (Guard)

27. ARZ - Suamataia

31. SF - Barton (Guard)

32. BAL - Morgan

36. WAS - Paul

I am not sure I actually see 11 OL being drafted in the 1st round, leaving us with the 12th OL at #36. That just seems so against historical averages, even if the class is super strong and the rest of the major positions are weak. 

I could see Morgan or Guyton falling to our pick. Maybe Suamataia because of his inexperience/youth. But I don't think Paul will be the best option for us there at #36, and frankly, if he is, I could see us using the opportunity to trade back and address OL later rather than "reach" there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Don't see how the Bears can pass on Williams if this is how the majority of NFL scouts/GM's see him. Not to keep Justin Fields. So how close to Williams are the others? I'd assume not all that close based on this write-up. 

Yeah, Williams is probably #1 for at least 75% of GMs in the league.  Going to be a lot of drama leading up to it, but the Bears are ultimately going to draft him.

Fuaga was my man crush T prospect too. Dude is Tristian Wirfs 2.0. We need more Samoans, those guys are always ballers in the NFL.

if he somehow falls to like 20 ish I'd package some combo of 2nd/3rds to move up and get him. Franchise QB and potentially either franchise LT or stud RT in one draft? Jackpot.

27 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I agree that this is a weak class for the defense and is loaded at QB, WR and OT. But someone ALWAYS falls. I have a hard, hard time believing that we'll go from a historical average of 4-6 OL drafted by #36 to something astronomical.

Dane Brugler is pretty good - his two round mock is INSANE for OL. 

7. TEN - Alt

10. NYJ - Fashanu

13. LV - Latham

18. CIN - Mims

21. MIA - Powers-Johnson (Center)

23. HOU - Fuaga

24. DAL - Guyton

25. GB - Fautanu (Guard)

27. ARZ - Suamataia

31. SF - Barton (Guard)

32. BAL - Morgan

36. WAS - Paul

I am not sure I actually see 11 OL being drafted in the 1st round, leaving us with the 12th OL at #36. That just seems so against historical averages, even if the class is super strong and the rest of the major positions are weak. 

I could see Morgan or Guyton falling to our pick. Maybe Suamataia because of his inexperience/youth. But I don't think Paul will be the best option for us there at #36, and frankly, if he is, I could see us using the opportunity to trade back and address OL later rather than "reach" there.

If this list holds true there will be several defensive players falling into the 2nd round...WR's too I would think. I saw a mock where 6 QB's go in the top 12 picks....add that with your list and that's half of the 1st round with QB's and OL.

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Interesting Hoffman saying he knows some of the scouts in the building preferred Gonzalez 

That is so immensely depressing. How many 1st round blunders have been because of that stupidity? Supposedly Shuler over Dilfer, Westbrook over Galloway, Haskins in round 1, now Forbes. who knows what other ones. Depressing :(. 

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

That is so immensely depressing. How many 1st round blunders have been because of that stupidity? Supposedly Shuler over Dilfer, Westbrook over Galloway, Haskins in round 1, now Forbes. who knows what other ones. Depressing :(. 

I know back further -- Desean Jackson over the receivers they took in that draft.   Scouts also wanted Jammal Charles and Jordy Nelson.

Dan insisted on Derrius Guice in spite of the baggage.    Came out recently some in that FO didn't want Wentz but Ron wanted him.

For those who said it doesn't matter that Ron has final say because he had a staff, this indicates otherwise.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

Just think—butterfly effect style, all of those things may have NEEDED to happen for us to end up where we are now. Free of Snyder, highly regarded and likable new owner, hottest GM prospect in the bag and a new coaching staff en route. 2nd overall pick to get our franchise QB prospect, tons of cap space, etc. New stadium incoming, probably back at the RFK site.

All of this is damn near miraculous. Anything that may have edged Snyder towards feeling the pinch in his pockets and overall  fatigue with the constant failure and fanbase’s hatred towards he and his wife…anything that led to the utter crashing and burning of Rivera and his regime…it was all worth it. 

We ended up with an improbably bright outlook for the future due to a lot of unlikely events transpiring—which I know you’re well aware of, given your posts on everything that had to go exactly right for us to luck into the #2 overall pick. So just zoom out a little further and apply that logic to the entire situation, and I think you’ll feel a lot better. Because any single thing that may have provided Snyder with a spark of belief in his future ownership outlook, or lessened fan anger and apathy, or given Rivera another W here or there…it would have potentially prevented this beautiful reality we’re now living in from existing.

Like, Thanos had to win all those battles and all those people had to die in order to end up in the timeline where ultimately, the good guys actually win the war.

IMG_3767.gif

Edited by Conn
  • Like 9

The Guice thing is weird. He was a legit stud, ridiculously talented and a steal where we got him. That being said, a guy with like jason argonauts level skeletons in the closet? We had to know that, right? Had to. The guy was clearly, if the reports were true, basically a menace to society. That stuff should have been figured out in mental makeup due diligence (like Justin Blackmon's drinking issues). 

But yeah, pretty depressing, needless to say. You want people with good sense and a modern analytical mind, to be making these final decisions at the top, I don't want dinosaurs running that, which is part of the reason I love having the owner we have, he definitely seems like an every edge matters type guy. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Conn said:

Just think—butterfly effect style, all of those things may have NEEDED to happen for us to end up where we are now. Free of Snyder, highly regarded and likable new owner, hottest GM prospect in the bag and a new coaching staff en route. 2nd overall pick to get our franchise QB prospect, tons of cap space, etc. New stadium incoming, probably back at the RFK site.

All of this is damn near miraculous. Anything that may have edged Snyder towards feeling the pinch in his pockets and overall  fatigue with the constant failure and fanbase’s hatred towards he and his wife…anything that led to the utter crashing and burning of Rivera and his regime…it was all worth it. 

We ended up with an improbably bright outlook for the future due to a lot of unlikely events transpiring—which I know you’re well aware of, given your posts on everything that had to go exactly right for us to luck into the #2 overall pick. So just zoom out a little further and apply that logic to the entire situation, and I think you’ll feel a lot better. Because any single thing that may have provided Snyder with a spark of belief in his future ownership outlook, or lessened fan anger and apathy, or given Rivera another W here or there…it would have potentially prevented this beautiful reality we’re now living in from existing.

Like, Thanos had to win all those battles and all those people had to die in order to end up in the timeline where ultimately, the good guys actually win the war.

IMG_3767.gif

You're 100% correct but here's the problem, the last 31 years basically wreaked total havoc on my fandom. I'm born and raised in the bay area, live in the Lake Tahoe area, thousands of miles from you guys, and moved away from fellow redskins fans in the bay back in '04. Basically my fandom has slowly been evaporating over the past 25 years (probably started in '99 when we decided to trade for a QB rather than draft one). It wasn't really noticeable until the post RGIII years though. But that's the sad truth here. If this miracle plays out properly, and we suddenly become a competent franchise after decades of grand mal stupidity (best analogies I can think of are probably the Bucs, Patriots, (Browns who became the Ravens), Mahomes era Chiefs, Brees era Saints etc, basically teams that went from absurd jokes when I was a kid in the late seventies, eighties and early nineties, will it be too late anyway? My fandom has practically evaporated over the last decade. I went from a guy who would drive with my brother and friends on the weekends while a student at Cal, and afterwards to San Jose Live, or the Englander, or Ricky's to catch Redskins games that weren't televised 10+ times a season, sometimes 13-15 times. Since my son was born in '16 I've averaged about 2 games, to 3 games watched per year. I'm way busier with family obligations, and the far more concerning development has been that my fandom that was once probably 75% Redskins, and 25% Caps, Boulez, Expos/Indians, is now more like:

50% USMNT 

15% Redskins

15% Indians/Nats

10% USMNT Yanks Abroad Clubs

10% Caps and Boulez and College teams

I don't know really how badly it went, but like another poster here, 1993-2023 did a number on it. I'm not 1/10th the fan I was as a high school senior that '92 season. The internet makes it way easier to be a passive observer, but even my message board attention completely collapsed. I posted on the regular, a gazillion times circa 1996-2016, since then? Barely at all, and usually only about draft prospects.

My fear (and probably to my wife's delight, lol, who finds my DC sports fandom ridiculous since it's entirely related to my older brothers instructions when I was a 3 and 4 year old rather than regional loyalties) is that it will never come back anywhere close to what it once was. We'll see. Maybe it does. I've been more interested since October than I've ever been since probably 2010-2011. So at least there's that. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

In hindsight I wish we had taken Gonzalez, but I understand why they took Forbes over Gonzalez.  Gonzalez was a really athletic players with A+ physical tools who was a three year starter in college who was just okay for his first two years, then had a really good third last year.   Forbes had some good physical tools (good length and 4.35 speed but lacked others like play strength), who had won a starting job as a true freshman in the SEC and was a good player all three years he was in college.   Do you want the guy with the better physical traits or do you take the guy who was good over a larger sample size.    They went with the guy who was good over a larger sample size.

I think Forbes ultimately ends up a decent starter, but will be a bit of a boom/bust guy like Trevon Diggs, William Jackson III (who only got bust years from him), Bryce Callahan, or James Bradbury.  Guys who have outstanding seasons, which they follow with meh seasons, only to rebound with a another great season, only to have another bad season.   Part of the Eagles problem this year is that Bradbury was great last year and is below average this year at corner, but that up and down quality has been with him his entire career.  Usually the guys who go for more interceptions and pass breakups and trust their ball skills rather than always playing technique are the guys who end up being more boom and bust season to season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, philibusters said:

In hindsight I wish we had taken Gonzalez, but I understand why they took Forbes over Gonzalez.  Gonzalez was a really athletic players with A+ physical tools who was a three year starter in college who was just okay for his first two years, then had a really good third last year.   Forbes had some good physical tools (good length and 4.35 speed but lacked others like play strength), who had won a starting job as a true freshman in the SEC and was a good player all three years he was in college.   Do you want the guy with the better physical traits or do you take the guy who was good over a larger sample size.    They went with the guy who was good over a larger sample size.

Also, there were some football toughness questions out there about Gonzalez. The more annoying thing is that Rivera always locked on to a position and then took their favorite guy at that position instead of a higher rated player.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, philibusters said:

I think Forbes ultimately ends up a decent starter, but will be a bit of a boom/bust guy like Trevon Diggs, William Jackson III (who only got bust years from him), Bryce Callahan, or James Bradbury.  Guys who have outstanding seasons, which they follow with meh seasons, only to rebound with a another great season, only to have another bad season.   Part of the Eagles problem this year is that Bradbury was great last year and is below average this year at corner, but that up and down quality has been with him his entire career.  Usually the guys who go for more interceptions and pass breakups and trust their ball skills rather than always playing technique are the guys who end up being more boom and bust season to season.

Gonzalez was the better player but medicals were bad. He did get hurt this year. I think medical could be long time problem for him.