Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

45 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is why I laughed for a week at all the people who were pimping Penix after the Texas game. Not just message boards, people who are paid a lot of money for their opinion always overreact to what they have seen last.  Penix was always so far behind the other 3 he was not even worth being mentioned for the Commanders pick.  And I will stand on the position until proven wrong that JJ McCarthy is not an NFL franchise QB.  

I'll be standing with you.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

I don't know how involved Spielman will be the personnel decisions, maybe not at all. I wonder if he still thinks Maye is a poor man's Trevor Lawrence?

Unless some news dropped that I missed, Spielman won't ever be involved in draft decisions. He was only hired to be part of the hiring/search committee for the new GM.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

So, Corum is now a 1rst rounder, isn't he?

He is a top 20 player in the class. 100% yea. 

However, we all know how these things go. QBs are elevated beyond their actual rank and RBs fall. 

With Corum being a 5-8 (which I’m not sure why that matters much given he’s a 220 lb bowling ball) running back I’d guess back half of the first to mid second for him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Unless some news dropped that I missed, Spielman won't ever be involved in draft decisions. He was only hired to be part of the hiring/search committee for the new GM.

Yeah. In Josh's press conference he made that clear and also implied that while Myers might be sticking around longer, Spielman  likely wouldn't 

• Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He is a top 20 player in the class. 100% yea. 

However, we all know how these things go. QBs are elevated beyond their actual rank and RBs fall. 

With Corum being a 5-8 (which I’m not sure why that matters much given he’s a 220 lb bowling ball) running back I’d guess back half of the first to mid second for him. 

If we could grab XL and Corum with our 2nds.........sweet.

10 minutes ago, KDawg said:

How does Corum compare to Trey Benson? I have really like Benson from what I've seen of him, which admittedly is very little.

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

How does Corum compare to Trey Benson? I have really like Benson from what I've seen of him, which admittedly is very little.

Better vision, less power and burst.

More change of direction, less downhill destruction.

• Like 1

For those who want extra picks (I think there is ZERO chance we move down from #2), here are some example trade downs of early 2nd rounders from past drafts:

2023:

1). Arizona trades #33+#81 for #41+#72+future 3rd round pick (Titans moved up for QB Will Levis)

2). LV trades #35 for #38+5th rounder (#141)

3). Indy trades #38 for #44+4th rounder (#110)

2022:

1). Minnesota trades #34 for #53+#59

2). NYG trades #36 for #38+5th rounder (#146)

Depends on circumstances, but I can see the new analytically minded FO trying to trade down from one of those 2nds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

I would be good with that plus their 2nd back. But they arent gonna do it. They are gonna take Williams. And they should. I would. 

It's a longshot but crazier things have happened.  It's the Bears😂

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Sounds like Benson would be redundant with Robinson and Rodriguez

Power is never redundant.  You always want to be able to batter defenses with your runs.  If a guy can create behind the line of scrimmage and pick up tough yards, catch, and block, then he's good for any down. And ultimately the goal is to have a depth chart of backs that are capable on any down.

We're not hurting for RB talent right now.  BRob is special IMO, and Rodriguez has potential if he can fix his ball security issue.  The only reason I would feel the need to draft Corum or Benson is because they are BPA caliber picks in the 40s and you never know when you will need your RB depth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Yeah. In Josh's press conference he made that clear and also implied that while Myers might be sticking around longer, Spielman  likely wouldn't 

Was Spielman the GM during the Minnesota Love Boat situation?

18 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

These were out of a tweet SIP posted from Rick Spielman. Here is the link to the article:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/2024-nfl-draft-caleb-williams-will-be-a-franchise-changing-quarterback/

While this is nice movement, it looks he had a man open on the left the entire time for about the same gain.  There is a time and place not to give up on a play but sometimes it is best to get the ball out on time. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

While this is nice movement, it looks he had a man open on the left the entire time for about the same gain.  There is a time and place not to give up on a play but sometimes it is best to get the ball out on time. 

Yep. That is his biggest fault. He will have to play a lot more in structure in the NFL. But when he does play in structure he is elite at it. 

1 hour ago, mhd24 said:

For those who want extra picks (I think there is ZERO chance we move down from #2), here are some example trade downs of early 2nd rounders from past drafts:

2023:

1). Arizona trades #33+#81 for #41+#72+future 3rd round pick (Titans moved up for QB Will Levis)

2). LV trades #35 for #38+5th rounder (#141)

3). Indy trades #38 for #44+4th rounder (#110)

2022:

1). Minnesota trades #34 for #53+#59

2). NYG trades #36 for #38+5th rounder (#146)

Depends on circumstances, but I can see the new analytically minded FO trying to trade down from one of those 2nds.

My preference would be to use the #36 pick then if one of your top 30 guys is still around at #40, make that pick. If not, shop it around and get an extra 2025 pick or two.

42 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Power is never redundant.  You always want to be able to batter defenses with your runs.  If a guy can create behind the line of scrimmage and pick up tough yards, catch, and block, then he's good for any down. And ultimately the goal is to have a depth chart of backs that are capable on any down.

We're not hurting for RB talent right now.  BRob is special IMO, and Rodriguez has potential if he can fix his ball security issue.  The only reason I would feel the need to draft Corum or Benson is because they are BPA caliber picks in the 40s and you never know when you will need your RB depth.

This class is loaded especially in pass catching backs with speed. I do think we should add one at some point.

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

My preference would be to use the #36 pick then if one of your top 30 guys is still around at #40, make that pick. If not, shop it around and get an extra 2025 pick or two.

Hypothetically, if we traded Jon Allen to a team like the Packers for the #41 pick (Jets 2nd) ... I would prefer to trade down with one of those. Usually you can trade an early-mid 2nd for a late 2 and late 3. If we added a 3rd by dropping back to the late 2nd, that would be cool.

Would end up with, for example:

#2 (ours)

#36 (ours)

#41 (Packers via Jets) for Jon Allen

#60 (from DET)

#67 (ours)

#73 (from DET)

#95 (ours)

Trade chart is roughly equal on trading #40 for #60 and #73 from DET (as an example of a trade-down possibility). Having a 3rd early Round 2 pick would be a huge luxury, but it also gives you the luxury to create further capital.

Could also turn one of our 3's later on into a pair of 4's and so on. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

18 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

That doesn't mean much to me.  Daniels, Nix, and Penix were throwing to legitimate NFL-calibre receivers. Williams and Maye were not.  You put Daniels and Nix on UNC and USC respectively, and this list flip flops.