Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

I think our greatest strength is our punter.  I think we should build around that.   I think if we trade up to number 1 we can get one hell of a good long snapper at that pick.  The we have to protect our all pro punter so we should draft offensive line with our remaining picks.  Most pundits, that I hear, express the opinion that they will leave these decisions up to the general manager, a huge  deviation from traditional drafting policy of organizations where they leave these decisions up to the pundits and the fans.  But me, being narcissistic,  am not going to be so generous.  I have decided to investigate and pick the best long snapper at pick number 1.  With my plan, our punting game should be historic.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mac8887 said:

If I could get a couple million dollars in nil money to forgo the draft a year or 2 it would be hard to turn that down. Thats life changing money. The season is shorter and I'm sure it takes nowhere near the toll on your body compared to playing in the nfl.

I imagine the nil price tag on these players will only go up for all positions, but it'll be the same positions getting the big bucks as it is in the NFL. I could see running backs making big money in the nil though, which would be good for them because they don't make that much in the nfl.

With all this booster money being donated to these big time college football programs, plus all the tv contract money, in time, some of the best players could make more money staying and playing their senior year, than they would their entire rookie contract in the nfl.

It could be beneficial for the nfl teams though. The players will have more experience, and the best ones will probably be at the best schools playing the best competition. They will have more tape and a bigger sample size to gage the players.

I can see it eventually leading to less draft busts because the players will be more seasoned, and fully grown. It may reduce the number of players being drafted on perceived potential rather than fulfilled potential.

Personally I hate what NIL has done to college football.  It was always dominated by the same dozen programs but now the gap will be so much larger as those are the schools with the most NIL money.  Unlike the NFL a Wake Forrest fan has zero belief that his team will ever compete in the college playoffs.  But the one thing it does do is as you say it keeps good players in school, which is also good for the NFL.  

36 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Personally I hate what NIL has done to college football.  It was always dominated by the same dozen programs but now the gap will be so much larger as those are the schools with the most NIL money.  Unlike the NFL a Wake Forrest fan has zero belief that his team will ever compete in the college playoffs.  But the one thing it does do is as you say it keeps good players in school, which is also good for the NFL.  

I think they’re going to wind up splitting FBS. Having teams from the MAC, for instance, versus ACC teams let alone the SEC teams, is a very wide talent gap. 

these teams all need something to play for. And should be able to compete.

The same occurs in HS athletics, just without NIL (to this point). Some states allow charters/private to compete with public schools for section/state championships. 

Most of those teams are pulled up to the biggest class in the state, but some aren’t. 

There are teams who don’t have a real shot against the charters/privates pretty much ever because they have to play with what’s within their school lines where the private can take kids out of anyone’s school lines. 

There will always be a disparity between teams in every sport. 

As an aside, this is partially why I think when teams look for new head coaches they do themselves a disservice by not scouring the lower tiers for them sometimes. Why? Well, if they can be competitive at all in a conference where there is a major talent disparity, they know what they’re doing.

• Like 1

Top 17 NT’s *This does not look like a great NT group but IMO there are a few that could be considered sleeper types

1. T'Vondre Sweat Texas *Clearly the best NT in this class to my eyes by a very, very wide margin
  2. Fabien Lovett Florida State
  3. McKinnley Jackson Texas A&M
  4. Justin Rogers Auburn
  5. Jordan Jefferson LSU
  6. Taki Taimani Oregon
  7. Nazir Stackhouse Georgia
  8. Erick Gregory Arkansas
  9. Jalen Sami Michigan State
  10. Nash Hutmacher Nebraska
  11. Isaiah Coe Oklahoma *Could play any DL position effectively
  12. Khristian Boyd Northern Iowa
  13. Josaih Hayes Kentucky
  14. Logan Richter Minnesota
  15. Joe Evans UTSA
  16. Evan Anderson Florida Atlantic
  17. Tim Keening Alabama
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Dream draft through our first 3 picks right now …

Caleb Williams - QB

Xavier Leggette - WR

JT Tuimoloua - DE

There is a lack of OL here that is disturbing.

But you won me over with Legette. Though I don’t think he’s there in the second 

Does anyone else look at Drake Maye and think his likely ceiling is Jared Goff? Their college stats are comparable. Comparable size and arm strength. Maybe Maye is a tad faster. Watching Goff play today just made me think of Maye stylistically. 

37 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There is a lack of OL here that is disturbing.

But you won me over with Legette. Though I don’t think he’s there in the second 

I want oline as well, I think id be using the 3rds and cap space to address that 

16 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Does anyone else look at Drake Maye and think his likely ceiling is Jared Goff? Their college stats are comparable. Comparable size and arm strength. Maybe Maye is a tad faster. Watching Goff play today just made me think of Maye stylistically. 

Nah.  Maye is about a hundred times more athletic.  I see his ceiling as Josh Allen.

49 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

Dream draft through our first 3 picks right now …

Caleb Williams - QB

Xavier Leggette - WR

JT Tuimoloua - DE

For me it's Williams at QB and then trade back up into the first for Taliese Fuaga.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I think maye is much better as a runner with a bigger arm. Both can be inaccurate. I think maye reminds me of a big, tall, baker Mayfield. His ceiling being made higher by his size and strength

A very late round or udfa qb to look at would be Brennan Armstrong out of NC state. He's got a pretty good arm and can run a little. Plus he's been a starting qb a long time in college. Could be a good qb3 option or someone to stash on a practice squad to try to develop 

39 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

For me it's Williams at QB and then trade back up into the first for Taliese Fuaga.

I’d love Fuaga or Leggette. I’d bet both are first rounders though. 

If we draft Williams I think if we draft Williams we should 100% focus on building an offense. Interior OL should be easy to shore up, but we need solutions at tackle and playmakers at WR, TE and RB. 

Let the defense suck. Field a top 10 offense and finish with a top 10 pick again because the defense is 31st. Fine. Gets us higher draft picks to finish the team later anyway. I think we are probably looking at 2 years of high draft picks. 

7 hours ago, Commander202 said:

Honestly would not mind drafting a RB that’s a home run hitter . We lack speed when it comes to running the ball. 

I'm so old that almost every year I see some rb I want to draft too high for most everyone else's taste, inc. taking guys like bijan or gibbs or hall in the first rnd 🙃

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

From the QBs and their highlight videos, my eyes keep telling me Caleb is the one that looks most natural. Has an ability to stay calm, only run when needing to and can make multiple angle throws. Hopeful he can be Mahomes or even Dak.

Maye is bigger, doesn’t excite me whatsoever but maybe that’s a good thing and is a safe play. Hopefully can be Justin Hebert or Daniel Jones.

Daniels in theory is exciting but purely running QB almost never work out. Hope can be Lamar but he could be RG3 too in terms of not protecting himself.

Or all three could bust.