Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

If we're just looking at need picks for our first rounder, Edge is the biggest one.  Jared Verse and Chop Robinson are the early front runners for being Edge 1 and Edge 2.  Dallas Turner and Chris Braswell are in play in the first round too.  Laiatu Latu is interesting but I'm not sure if he's fast enough to still be a high end edge rusher in the NFL.

We need to be going BPA though.  I like Cooper Dejean a lot, and he fits the super athlete profile we look for in our DBs.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

If we're just looking at need picks for our first rounder, Edge is the biggest one.  Jared Verse and Chop Robinson are the early front runners for being Edge 1 and Edge 2.  Dallas Turner and Chris Braswell are in play in the first round too.  Laiatu Latu is interesting but I'm not sure if he's fast enough to still be a high end edge rusher in the NFL.

We need to be going BPA though.  I like Cooper Dejean a lot, and he fits the super athlete profile we look for in our DBs.

I love the name Chop Robinson. I'd draft him for that alone.

• Haha 1

I am very hesitant to use another first round pick on defensive line. There are pass rushers throughout the league taken in the 3rd and 4th rounds. Maxx Crosby, Justin Madubike, Trey Hendrickson, and Danelle Hunter. Build offensive line to get quarterback comfortable. Jalen Hurts has a brick wall in front of him and 2 number one receivers. We need to aspire for that. Pass Rush like running back is a hunger position. It’s a lot easier to find hungry players later in the draft.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Wylie leads the league in pressures allowed and sacks… or close, isn’t he? 

I agree with SIP’s assessment that Wylie will be pretty consistently solid, then suddenly have a massive failure (I guess that goes against the definition of “consistent”, lol).  Not sure what that’s all about.  In terms of giving up sacks/pressures, I do wonder how much impact other factors have had on his performance/numbers… 1) our scheme - the amount we throw, the lack of running, and style of protections - 2) questionable protection calls from Gates (and possibly Howell, but he’s young), 3) our backs/TEs still learning the system, 4) Howell holding the ball at times (especially early on), 5) as well as playing next to an inexperienced G in Cosmi.  With that said, Wylie’s been in this system, and it’s apparent that he gets absolutely abused 1 on 1 at times.  Hard to imagine his numbers would be significantly better accounting for those other factors.  Have to upgrade there for sure.

For me, it’s OT in round 1 (assuming we can swing it), sign a high end LB and still look to the draft for another, draft a high end TE, try to find a complementary receiver and (as you put it) dynamic back, land a well regarded G to compete with Paul, and then anything else we can add - corner, a DL, another TE/receiver/back, etc.

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

Quenton Nelson used to do stuff like that.

And I think, I haven't looked into the metrics or the analytics of football, but I think I would like Nelson on our team.

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd address Edge via FA and try to get either a skill position player or OL in the draft. Build a young dynamic offense around Howell and maximize our prime assets on that side of the field.

there are a couple of good edge rushers in FA, including Brian Burns

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Burns is a beast but I think this FO will prefer to for more 2nd tier-ish type guys in hopes that they can produce 1st tier numbers next to Allen and Payne while playing within the scheme.

Who cares what this FO thinks? I want a young aggressive FO that is using $ to either bring blue chip talent in the door or getting value deals, no to overpaying average or above average players like we did with Wylie, Gates, WJ3, etc based on potential

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Lets see how the young guys at edge do for the rest of the year. I actually like Toohill and JSW both. We are going to get a good look at them over the next few weeks as well. 

They're nice players but none of them are starting caliber in the NFL.

Bruce Feldman's write up about Chop Robinson on his Freak's List: https://theathletic.com/4768413/2023/08/15/bruce-feldman-college-football-freaks-list/

9. Chop Robinson, Penn State, defensive end

So the Nittany Lions have an incredibly explosive 250-pound guy with blazing speed, great strength and Freakish agility. Yeah, we remember a guy like that who came out of Happy Valley.

We’re not saying Chop can be another Micah Parsons, but he is still very special. He had 10 TFLs and 5.5 sacks last season, and will be even better this year. The 6-3, 254-pound junior is a little bigger than Parsons, and almost as fast. He clocked a 4.47 40 this offseason and ran a quicker shuttle, 4.22. He also broad-jumped 10-7 and bench-pressed 400 pounds.

Those numbers are ridiculous.  His lateral speed is pretty amazing, saw a highlight where he lined up wide 9 and then juked inside to split a double team block with barely any alteration to his path through the contact.  Super explosive and fluid movement skills.

He's a better athlete than Jared Verse and Dallas Turner are, and they are two of the best athletes in the country.  This first round edge class looks promising.  Wouldn't surprise me if we get several 4.5 40s and 38"+ verts from the group.  The #4 athlete on this year's list is a 300 pound edge that seems an awful lot like another Arik Armstead, and he's been clocked at 20+ MPH on GPS.

21 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I agree with SIP’s assessment that Wylie will be pretty consistently solid, then suddenly have a massive failure (I guess that goes against the definition of “consistent”, lol).  Not sure what that’s all about.  In terms of giving up sacks/pressures, I do wonder how much impact other factors have had on his performance/numbers… 1) our scheme - the amount we throw, the lack of running, and style of protections - 2) questionable protection calls from Gates (and possibly Howell, but he’s young), 3) our backs/TEs still learning the system, 4) Howell holding the ball at times (especially early on), 5) as well as playing next to an inexperienced G in Cosmi.  With that said, Wylie’s been in this system, and it’s apparent that he gets absolutely abused 1 on 1 at times.  Hard to imagine his numbers would be significantly better accounting for those other factors.  Have to upgrade there for sure.

For me, it’s OT in round 1 (assuming we can swing it), sign a high end LB and still look to the draft for another, draft a high end TE, try to find a complementary receiver and (as you put it) dynamic back, land a well regarded G to compete with Paul, and then anything else we can add - corner, a DL, another TE/receiver/back, etc.

I watched 2 Wylie's games with the Chiefs, the whole game, just him on coaches tape.  I believe he led the league in giving up pressures that season or top 5, same this season if i recall.  He looked like that with them.  It's not just a new fangled thing here as for giving up sacks-pressures.

He's an odd duck at least in those two games, his blocks are really sound when he's successful, he's square in front of the defender, punches well, uses hands well.  And then bam he gets fooled and completely loses contain and gives up a pressure or sack.   Feast or famine type of blocker.  We can do MUCH better than him at RT. 

What has he had like 2 good games out 9, didn't have a hot preseason either.

I think the Chiefs tweet I put here sums him well.  PFF is OK with him, they don't love him but don't hate him.  And I get why by their metrics. They don't care about sacks-pressures in a vacuum.  Though they say they care about pressures.  They just care about win % and how clean those wins are.  He has clean wins I'll give him that.  So that helps him on the PFF metrics even though his overall stats suck.  But the bottom line is he gets beat multiple times in almost every game -- and usually in game changing moments.

To me its not even a debatable point.  He's a below average RT IMO at BEST.  I think he hovers closer to sucking than below average.  But if someone wants to argue he's below average, i wouldn't hate the argument.  But lets shoot higher for a change at O line versus Rivera's pathetic low bar at that spot.

Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 6.57.15 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 7.01.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 7.02.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-11-11 at 7.03.22 AM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise

22 hours ago, bird_1972 said:

I love the name Chop Robinson. I'd draft him for that alone.

Local kid from Maryland.  Started at out at the University of Maryland where he was the gem of their recruiting class (top 100 prospect nationally(.  Was part of Maryland's rotation his true freshman year, got two sacks.  Then Caleb Williams father convinced him to tour USC and possibly transfer there and get some nice NIL money.  The NIL money did not come through for Chop Robinson at USC, then he came back to the University of Maryland and asked for some NIL money.  Coach Michael Locksley considered it, but ran it by his team captains and decided against it.  He had left the team in the middle of spring practice to tour USC and making him one of the highest paid players on the team when he left the team in the middle of spring practice and giving him money over veterans starters would have upset the balance of the team to much.  So Maryland declined to meet his NIL requests and he ended up transferring to Penn St. where he quickly became one of the best edge players in the country.  

As a Maryland fan I have a bit of a grudge against him because he has done some negative recruiting against Maryland from Penn St.   I think there were some hard feelings on both sides.  On Maryland's side there was a feel he quit on the team when he left in the middle of spring practice and that him asking for NIL money before he had earned was a show of entitlement.  On his side, I think he felt hurt when the player leaders advised Locksley not to give him the NIL money because his demands were not outrageous (part of the problem is Maryland has a much lower NIL budget than say USC or Penn St. so what is reasonable to give a developmental guy there who has not proven it, is not reasonable to give a developmental player at Maryland).

• Like 1

I had been interested in Blake Corum as a mid rounder before todays game against a VERY good PSU defense. And his speed is evident today. Would love that guy as a change of pace back. 

And I dont see franchise QB in JJ McCarthy. I know some do though. To me he is undersized with an average arm. He is fast though. 

Edited by clskinsfan

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Tightrope surgery?  Sounds risky.  

From Google:

The tightrope is a device made by Arthrex, an orthopedic implant company, that is used to stabilize the syndesmosis after an injury. This device allows FLEXIBLE fixation, an improvement over the previously RIGID forms of fixation.

On 11/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, Riggo#44 said:

Michael Pittman is a free agent this year. He is high on my want list--which is ironic, since he is the player the Colts took with one of the picks we traded them for Montez Sweat. I think he'd work in well with McLaurin and Dotson.

Not a fan. He impressed as a rookie but has regressed since. He is the exact type of player some team is going to overpay a lot in FA

• Thumb up 1