Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m really impressed by Penix. We know Williams will be off the board quick… but if Penix is there I’d think long and hard about it. If not there will be offers and I’d think about those, too. Trade back + Fuaga? 

Lots of good options as long as we don’t **** it up.

I prefer the younger player… Sam Howell.

Seriously — Howell is younger than Penix.

17 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I prefer the younger player… Sam Howell.

Seriously — Howell is younger than Penix.

Not saying anything about Howell here. 

Talking in general draft. That’s also why I mentioned draft compensation to trade back. Options. 

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’m really impressed by Penix. We know Williams will be off the board quick… but if Penix is there I’d think long and hard about it. If not there will be offers and I’d think about those, too. Trade back + Fuaga? 

If we go this route I’m definitely hitting up @Jumbo to change my name to PenixEnvy

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Stihl89 said:

There shouldn’t be a fan who prefers Howell over Caleb. I’m sorry one has the special it factor and the other just stands around waiting to get it. 

Caleb was holding the ball for quite awhile last night. He absolutely escaped… but it won’t be as easy against NFL talent.

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

If Trotter gets to our Bears pick it’s a no brainer.

Imagine if the new regime, with some maneuvering was able to pull off a Penix, Fuaga, Trotter draft. They'd have pulled off everything Ron wanted but couldn't do before they have played a down.

3 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Imagine if the new regime, with some maneuvering was able to pull off a Penix, Fuaga, Trotter draft. They'd have pulled off everything Ron wanted but couldn't do before they have played a down.

As much as I like Michael Penix, I would be equally jacked for Fashanu, Fuaga, Trotter. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

As much as I like Michael Penix, I would be equally jacked for Fashanu, Fuaga, Trotter. 

I would be happier with your list, just thought it funny QB, OT, MLB...the 3 elusive to Ron.

Then again, a guess there were elusive than just those 3 for Ron.

10 hours ago, Rolo Tomasie said:

I've been watching him for a few games - Fautanu. His feet are tremendous for a tackle. His movement skills are elite.very, very quick feet. Not sure how he holds up against bull rushes though

I’ve read he’s slated to be a G in the league. Second rounder for us?

23 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

To me he sure looks like he could play tackle. His great feet are better getting to the second level than lateral, mirroring a rusher, but still pretty good. I think discussion of him at guard just originated because he played guard for a couple games at UW. The reason I questioned how he would handle an NFL bull rush is because he is only listed as 315 lbs. But watching him in the run game he sure has power. He's great at sinking his hips and moving people. I think he is already 23 though so not a ton of projection there. So I see him as a second day guy, maybe third round.

Edited by Rolo Tomasie
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’d definitely consider him more of a road grinder guard than a tackle at this point.

But he can move… so I wouldn’t rule tackle out.

Edited by KDawg
  • Thanks 1

I got to watch more of Caleb and Penix to have a hard opinion.  I did watch last night.  They both are good off-platform.  There is something odd looking to me about Penix's arm motion where he doesn't look consistent but I was just watching casually, I'll watch more intently soon.  Both dudes can spin out of trouble in the pocket well. 

Caleb is certainly an emotional dude, the crying post game -- and then I don't know what to make of the leaks of how he has certain teams he wants to play for and he wants % of ownership, etc.  The vibe right now is he's a high maintenance guy.  But who knows.  Penix from what I've read about him thus far, granted not a lot, is he has high intangibles.  Naturally, the 2 ACL tears and him being 24 might drop him some in the draft.

I don't expect Caleb to be where we are picking so I feel its a moot point.

How often do #1 and #2 picks go for sale when the idea is they are elite QBs?   

So I am gathering if they decided to go QB (I'd say 50-50 at best they do), it will be between Penix and McCarthy who are more likely in the range of where they pick.  I have watched McCarthy, he's another dude I have to watch more.  The one thing i am sold on him is his speed, the dude can run.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MartinC said:

Watching Bama and LSU. Of interest to us Latham the Bama RT looks like a very very good player. Possibly better as a run blocker than in pass pro - but his pass pro has been very solid as well. Good feet.

Watched the Clemson game earlier - Trotter was dominant in that game at MLB. He’s probably late first early second range and someone I would keep an eye on. 

I got to watch him, i noticed some mocks have him as the #3 tackle

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Caleb is certainly an emotional dude, the crying post game -- and then I don't know what to make of the leaks of how he has certain teams he wants to play for and he wants % of ownership, etc.  The vibe right now is he's a high maintenance guy.  But who knows.

From these reports, and who know if they're accurate, but getting serious Zach Wilson vibes from Williams. I'd rather have Maye at this point...or Howell.

Looked like Penix didn't see the TE on that crazy TD throw where he rolled left and threw it on his way out of bounds.  Looked like he was actually just throwing it up for the underneath guy and putting it high to make it a jump ball, and just overthrew it.  If so, his best play of the game was a lucky accident.

Those were not even close to NFL throwing windows that he threw into last night, nor were those NFL running lanes that their RB galloped through. That was easy mode production for their offense, and it wouldn't translate to the next level.  I'm skeptical of Penix.  He's played six years of college ball and has only finished a full season once.  As a third round pick like Hendon Hooker was, he'd be interesting.  No way I would take him in the top 50 picks or so.

• Like 1

Both of those quarterbacks look great, but I think they will both be top five picks, and we shouldn’t pay the price to move up. Have to agree with the people saying we are pretty much forced to go OL at this point. I will be pretty happy either way, just knowing that an actual GM is doing the picking finally! Sam is not looking like the next Brady, but I think he’s shown enough to give it another year. I was skeptical, so he has certainly exceeded my expectations.

Edited by woodpecker

2 hours ago, Stihl89 said:

There shouldn’t be a fan who prefers Howell over Caleb. I’m sorry one has the special it factor and the other just stands around waiting to get it. 

Kelce bros. were talking up Howell the other night. They know up close, one having played against him twice. Right now I am in Howell's corner all he has to do is keep improving and my pick right now. Caleb,a local that does not want to be here or were he wants to be picked? If true? Why would he have a list? why take the chance? Let things playout for a while way to early to blame the QB.

36 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Looked like Penix didn't see the TE on that crazy TD throw where he rolled left and threw it on his way out of bounds.  Looked like he was actually just throwing it up for the underneath guy and putting it high to make it a jump ball, and just overthrew it.  If so, his best play of the game was a lucky accident.

Those were not even close to NFL throwing windows that he threw into last night, nor were those NFL running lanes that their RB galloped through. That was easy mode production for their offense, and it wouldn't translate to the next level.  I'm skeptical of Penix.  He's played six years of college ball and has only finished a full season once.  As a third round pick like Hendon Hooker was, he'd be interesting.  No way I would take him in the top 50 picks or so.

Age is for sure one of the negatives to Penix. And it should lower his draft stock some. 

Penix is older than Howell and already has two ACL tears under his belt. Pass.

Caleb — now all these college players have crazy pain tolerances and are very tough, no doubt about it. That being said… crying in the stands and then talking about wanting to go home, cuddle his dog and watch TV after the game? Relatable, sure. But idk how that translates to an NFL locker room. Getting diva vibes. Pass.

I like Howell. Don’t trade up for one of those guys.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MartinC said:

That seems the consensus - he’s a RT not a LT as well so that maybe hurts him.

Right now if we can draft any RT who can be a mainstay on the line for years to come ah-la Lane Johnson that’s a win.

I saw some chatter in the thread about Troy Fautanu at Washington, btw, who I’ve consistently noted as kicking inside in the pros. Anyone got a good read on him? Only he looks to be the same size as Rashawn Slater (who from recollection was also touted as a guard but has successfully stayed at tackle) albeit apparently his arms measure longer at 34 inches. His feet and hands are said to be impressive. Thoughts on him as a potential LT in the 2nd having drafted say Taliese Fuaga in the 1st (preferably after a trade down 😁)? 

looking at sweat's contract, I think we should look edge in the draft and offensive line in free agency.  It looks like there are some decent offensive tackles in the 20 to 30 range right now.  I think we can get a good trade up and pick one.  Linebacker I am confused with.  Does anyone know a site that gives good rankings?

On 11/4/2023 at 3:57 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Sadly, our defense is worse than our offense right now and with a ****load of holes that need filled.

I wouldn’t mind LB addressed first then two OL then speed RB then TE then OL again (in no order). Then measure fingers for rings