Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023 NFL Draft Watch and Post Thread - The Hangover Special

KDawg

35 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Arizona won the draft hands down.  Getting that 2024 Texans pick is a lotto pick.  It could be #1 overall.  

I believe the 1st round pick they traded was the one they got from Cleveland. So it would be Clevelands pick not the texans pick.. I believe that is correct. If I understood what I read correctly.  Just a heads up not a biggie just sharing the info..

ARI trades No. 3 to HOU for No. 12

Date: April 27, 2023

The Houston Texans sent the No. 12 pick, their second-round pick (No. 33) and first- and third-round picks in 2024 to the Arizona Cardinals for the Cardinals' first-round pick (No. 3) and fourth-round pick this year (No. 105). The 2024 first-rounder the Texans traded is the one they received from the Browns in the Deshaun Watson trade. The Texans used the pick to select Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson Jr. The Cardinals traded the No. 12 pick to the Lions to trade up to draft Ohio State offensive tackle Paris Johnson Jr.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-

9 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I believe the 1st round pick they traded was the one they got from Cleveland. So it would be Clevelands pick not the texans pick.. I believe that is correct. If I understood what I read correctly.  Just a heads up not a biggie just sharing the info..

ARI trades No. 3 to HOU for No. 12

Date: April 27, 2023

The Houston Texans sent the No. 12 pick, their second-round pick (No. 33) and first- and third-round picks in 2024 to the Arizona Cardinals for the Cardinals' first-round pick (No. 3) and fourth-round pick this year (No. 105). The 2024 first-rounder the Texans traded is the one they received from the Browns in the Deshaun Watson trade. The Texans used the pick to select Alabama edge rusher Will Anderson Jr. The Cardinals traded the No. 12 pick to the Lions to trade up to draft Ohio State offensive tackle Paris Johnson Jr.

Oh, thanks for catching that.  That makes. the trade a ton more palatable for Houston.

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Man that's a heck of a haul to move up nine spots for a non QB. I think I'd have just sat on 12 and take a shot at someone like Murphy or Van Ness. 

But Anderson is a stud and you put a premium on elite players.

I kind of HATE the fact that the majority of fans seem to think trading down is usually a dumb move... I would almost ALWAYS look to trade down in the first round unless I had a great QB or elite player at a position of need. Stockpile those picks and take your chances with 3 solid players in the late 1st-2nd round instead of putting all your eggs in one basket for a player who could bust or tear and ACL in training camp in the blink of an eye and you just lost essentially your first three picks in a draft in a second. 

I like how we have picks in every round (and two in the 6th).

I feel like we have done better at not trading away picks the past 6-7 years. I can recall some drafts in the early 2000s where we had like four picks overall or something pathetic.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We got a good player. We just took him way too early. 

Better player than Will Levis at least.

That's what I hate about how Ron approaches the draft. Seems like almost every pick we could have traded down, sometimes traded back a full round or two and still would have had a really good chance to get the players Ron reached for and didn't take the free draft capital that was there for the taking. The trade in the 1st round last year was a good move but other than that Ron is terrible at the trading aspect of the job. We normally get ripped off, use draft capital on players like Kyle Allen, or just reach way to far in the draft instead of looking to maximize value. The Eagles know exactly how to maximize their draft capital and it's frustrating. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know some would have a melt down.  But If he's the best player on their board, Keion White would be on the table for me. He's a monster IMO.  He can rush from inside or edge. 

Keion White would be an excellent pick if he lasted to #47. 

My personal choice would also cause melt downs, I’m wanting Jalin Hyatt. Hyatt would bring to the offence what they hope Forbes will to the defence. 

Get a playmaker for EB now.

21 minutes ago, NFC Beast1987 said:

what I hate about how Ron approaches the draft. Seems like almost every pick we could have traded down, sometimes traded back a full round or two and still would have had a really good chance to get the players Ron reached for and didn't take the free draft capital that was there for the taking

Mayhew confirmed they didn’t get any trade calls at all when on the clock at #16 this year.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah am thinking the same thing, I've heard off the field concerns about both players though.  Maybe Bergeron if he's there but i don't expect him to be.

Or hey maybe we Eagles style try to blow up opponent's O lines.   i know some think 4 good D lineman is all you need -- any more than that is a luxury.  But as some of us argued in the draft thread -- D line is a rotational spot - keep guys fresh, guys get hurt.  And you can be creative with 5 man fronts. 

I know some would have a melt down.  But If he's the best player on their board, Keion White would be on the table for me. He's a monster IMO.  He can rush from inside or edge. 

My preference for our next pick would be Oline but if the value is not there, I think Keion White would be a great pick. We got to plan ahead for the departure of at least one out of Sweat/Young, so we need to address this position sooner or later anyways. If he is also gone we might go TE. I think we aren't in the worst position for day 2 regarding our needs and who is available.

• Like 1

Rivera is very insistent that we don’t have any roster ‘holes’ and he’s used the phrase after day one that we are now adding depth pieces. Not sure I agree with that, however if he thinks we’re in a decent roster position, would you not consider a move up here ?

Players like Mayer, Washington, Torrence would be major pick ups. I would be surprised they last to 47.

You could guess Porter to PITT perhaps, Indy on a QB, maybe both Levis and Hooker go very early day 2. 

Would you jump to say #36 ?

I will assume we sit at #47 for OL like Mauch. But we should consider a move IMO.

Who will stop the Dawand Jones slide........

• Like 1

• KDawg changed the title to 2023 NFL Draft Watch Thread - There is Less of a Party and more of a Gathering in this Post
3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Get a playmaker for EB now.

I have to imagine that’s the thought with pick 47. I wonder what EB is thinking given that there were numerous offensive weapons still on the board at 16 like Kincaid and we went with a smaller version of Fred Smoot?

• Like 1

Now that I’ve slept on it I feel the same as I did last night.

Strategically I am pretty underwhelmed. I don’t have CB as a big need, middle of the road. So it doesn’t look like we drafted for need (to me). Now, I think the Commanders do have it as a need so I think the strategy is “need” officially, which I don’t like.

It’s also, again to me, not the BPA. So it’s hard for me to be amped for this pick.

But he’s a very good player. That if he holds up will make all of us happy.

Meanwhile the Eagles are drafting BPA. And they came away with two excellent players. I like Carter better as a player than Forbes, but… I think his character concerns made him undraftable (to me). So I’d take Forbes over him. 

But it’s hard not to imagine it working out for them. Adding Carter and Smith to Reddick, Cox, Davis is scary.

Now we have to counter with an OL pick at 47. So I think we’re going to force it. Hopefully someone solid is there.

But if Hooker falls to 47 I’m a bit nervous we’re going to make a blunder. 

Who would I have taken at 16?

Jack Campbell

Brian Branch

Myles Murphy

The only OL to consider there would have been Harrison, Mauch or Torrence. 

IF I believed in drafting for need I may have drafted one of them versus Forbes, though. 

• Like 1

This is what I found about him : "Later that day, Tomlin was then heard telling one of the Steelers stars, Minkah Fitzpatrick, that he didn't think Gonzalez had the "competitive edge" and that they wouldn't be seeing him again. 

The Athletic also surveyed two unnamed NFL defensive backs coaches. The first gave strong reviews for Gonzalez while the second wasn’t so sure.

DB coach 1: “I think he’s unbelievable. He’s so talented. The most ready-made guy out here. His technique is really sound.”

DB coach 2: “I’m a little fearful of his demeanor. He’s not really wired like a corner. Against his best competition, he struggled. Against Georgia, he struggled. Drake London the year before really got after him. I think he’s really good in press. The other thing about him is (that) the wide receiver appears covered all the time because he’s so big and long, and he does have great recovery speed. His judgment and winning at the top of the route isn’t as great, and you’ll see him misjudging balls a little when he’s in position. Not gonna be a physical tackler at all.”

In summary, there seems to be a consensus that Gonzalez has the athletic traits required to be a successful NFL CB, but there may be issues with the mental side of his game. The defensive coordinator said that he “doesn’t have that cornerback attitude.” This could mean there are concerns about his ability to focus on detailed aspects of a one-on-one matchup. It could also mean that he is unsure of Gonzalez’s ability to brush off mistakes — something that is vital for CBs to be able to do. Link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know enough about the players say "this guy is bad or this guy is good", but I'm disappointed. I've heard amazing things about him and I'll be glad to have him on the team...but I really wanted to shore up the OLine. I'm not worried about his weight, but I think we failed to fix what we needed to fix.

Also, you guys put way too much stake into where someone is drafted. Other than contract costs, I don't really care who gets picked where. Some big picks become legends, some disappear. You don't know until you know.

• Like 1

I remember Steve mentioned Forbes a long time ago and I was blown away by him. I wrote him off because of his weight, but I think that's wrong of me.

Playmaking CB with great ball skills, 4.3 guy. It's a great pick up for us and I don't think it'll be considered a reach.

He's light, but he played a lot of ball in the SEC for 3 years without missing a game. 

Solid pick up. I'm hoping for Sanders or Branch day two. Be great to see Mayer make it to us.

Wonder if today starts the CB run to open or if IOL goes first. Hopefully CB, so it pushes guys to us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mhd24 said:

I could see us trying to take Musgrave after word got out from Keim who mentioned him.  I figure Mayer & LaPorta are gone.

Keim usually is revealing at some point during the day so will see.    Yes he's mentioned Musgrave.  But...

Forbes, I like the player, don't love the pick, felt like a very need driven pick. So if they are going need round 2, it screams O line -- even if Musgrave ends up the more highly rated player on their board.

I think Ron has been a good, not a great drafter.  Partly because of the draft to need approach early in the draft.  He needed a LB, go get the best one left.  Last year, we need a Wr, so we are getting the best one early -- though I like Dotson.  This year its been telegraphed O line-CB.

Even before this I said I want Harris to replace Rivera in the FO -- but last night was the kicker for me -- can't wait until Rivera is gone from the FO.  I like him as a coach.  I am ok with him, actually more than most in the FO -- but got my doubts we will ever be a contender with him running the FO.

Looking forward to the Harris take over and I get the impression that he'd land a FO with a similar approach to Philly, judging by Philly reporters. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Branch still available. Killer pick, I guess going to the Eagles?    Michael Mayer.  Both players I don't think this team takes for different reasons.   Laporta and Darnell still out there.

Feels though like they are going for need.  So i'd guess 

Bergeron

Tippman

Dawand

Mauch

Torrence

Avila

I think Bergeron would be their guy if they can choose from all of them.  Dawand if his character is OK enough.  Tippman is a big dude who brings position flex.  Torrence is steady and a big dude.  Mauch is nasty and would help the run game.  Avila position flex.

Yeah I figure this is the group they are looking at OL/TE with a slight chance at RB.

All those picks ahead of us. We will all be anxious leading up to 47 as we watch names drop off the list.

Don't be surprised if they trade back which will hurt more than the long road to 47. 

I expect no way Mayer, Berg, Torrence make it, the rest will be a crap shoot. I would be least happiest with Avila and for some reason, I don't think they go Darnell if he is there

I was admittedly bummed they did not trade back last night but much of the round didn't go as I expected

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

No one else have flashbacks to the year we picked INT machine David Amerson :ols: followed that pick up with another INT machine in Phillip Thomas.

Forbes looks like an excellent coverage corner to be fair. 

NGL, first name that came to mind. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I remember Steve mentioned Forbes a long time ago and I was blown away by him. I wrote him off because of his weight, but I think that's wrong of me.

Playmaking CB with great ball skills, 4.3 guy. It's a great pick up for us and I don't think it'll be considered a reach.

He's light, but he played a lot of ball in the SEC for 3 years without missing a game. 

Solid pick up. I'm hoping for Sanders or Branch day two. Be great to see Mayer make it to us.

Wonder if today starts the CB run to open or if IOL goes first. Hopefully CB, so it pushes guys to us.

Steve put Forbes highlights on the draft thread, I recall that but don't recall him pounding the table for him much afterwards.  I recall some of us liking the player (me included) as the draft approached but were concerned about his weight, and i don't think he weighed in (pun intended) on that front but maybe i forgot.   

Somehow in the back of my head, I don't think he saw him higher as a 2nd rounder.  So be interesting to see what he thinks now -- i'd be mildy surprised if he liked the pick.  I recall his wants in the first round, his lists, and Forbes was never included -- that much I can remember.

It's a very non Eagles like pick for me.  That is, IMO its a non chess playing move.  Mainly because of the depth of the spot in the draft.  If they are drafting to need which seems like how Ron likes to roll.  They are now boxed in to what's left at O line at 47, maybe they will get lucky and one will drop.  But its a bit of a wild card to me.

I doubt they draft Sanders.  I don't like him as much as you do, don't hate him either -- but wonder if they'd add a raw LB after what they went though in year 1 with Jamin in a win now season.   I don't think they draft Branch either because that would be another secondary player.  The Eagles will double down on a spot -- that's not how Rivera seems to roll.  Personally, I'd love Branch but I think Ron will see it as we got a player in rthe secondary.  Now its O line day even if Branch ends up higher on the board.

As for Forbes, I like the player.  i don't like the pick.    Feels to me a lot like the Jamin pick.  I defended the Jamin pick because even though I saw him as a 2nd rounder, overall I liked him.  And I feel the same way about Forbes so I'll push him, the player.  But I am not going to get excited about the pick.  To me its two different things.

For Rivera to redeem himself with me, I'd like to see a BPA approach versus forcing O line in round 2.  If O line ends up BPA, cool.   If they took Branch, all will be forgiven for example -- but I seriously doubt he would. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Steve put Forbes highlights on the draft thread, I recall that but don't recall him pounding the table for him much afterwards.  I recall some of us liking the player (me included) as the draft approached but were concerned about his weight, and i don't think he weighed in (pun intended) but maybe i forgot.   

Somehow in the back of my head, I don't think he saw him higher as a 2nd rounder.  So be interesting to see what he thinks now -- i'd be mildy surprised if he liked the pick.  I recall his wants in the first round, his lists, and Forbes was never included -- that much I can remember.

It's a very non Eagles like pick for me.  That is, IMO its a non chess playing move.  Mainly because of the depth of the spot in the draft.  If they are drafting to need which seems like how Ron likes to roll.  They are now boxed in to what's left at O line at 47, maybe they will get lucky and one will drop.  But its a bit of a wild card to me.

I doubt they draft Sanders.  I don't like him as much as you do, don't hate him either -- but wonder if they'd add a raw LB after what they went though in year 1 with Jamin in a win now season.   I don't think they draft Branch either because that would be another secondary player.  The Eagles will double down on a spot -- that's not how Rivera seem to roll.  Personally, I'd love Branch but I think Ron will see it as we got a player in rthe seciondary.  Now its O line day even if Branch ends up higher on the board.

As for Forbes, I like the player.  i don't like the pick.    Feels to me a lot like the Jamin pick.  I defended the Jamin pick because even though I saw him as a 2nd rounder, overall I liked him.  And I feel the same way about Forbes so I'll push him, the player.  But I am not going to get excited about the pick.  To me its too different things.

For Rivera to redeem himself with me, I'd like to see a BPA approach versus forcing O line in round 2.  If O line ends up BPA, cool.  

He definitely didn't pound the table for him. Just brought him to the thread.

It was definitely a reach pick for sure. We knew it would happen. If he comes in, stays healthy and gets turnovers, I'll be happy with it. Forbes has a chance to be a home run of a pick.

Branch would have been a better pick IMO.

I'll bet good money we draft Oline and TE today. I'd like LBer personally.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rex Tomb said:

I have to imagine that’s the thought with pick 47. I wonder what EB is thinking given that there were numerous offensive weapons still on the board at 16 like Kincaid and we went with a smaller version of Fred Smoot?

On balance Kincaid would have been my choice at 16. 

But I think we needed a stating corner so I can live with the move for Forbes.

• Like 1