Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump on Trial (Trump indicted for a fourth time in Georgia. Expands his record of most indictments by a former president)

Cooked Crack

Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will Trump be convicted in any of his cases?

• Yes. He's going 4 for 4. (including Georgia)
    • He's going to lose 3
    • Two for sure
    • He's only going to get convicted in one
    • No. He's going to skate

This poll is closed to new votes

On 3/26/2024 at 12:52 PM, Bang said:

He got arrested.
Like the rest of us regular citizens, he was able to make an appointment to be arrested and get his picture taken.

Then, like the rest of us, nothing happened, and he went out to play ****ing golf.

And then he had to go to court, and the judge kept telling him to stop doing things like threaten him and his staff and he didn't, and just like the rest of us, the judge didn't do anything.
And then he did it again. And again. And like the rest of us, nothing happened as a result.

And then he lost a judgement.
And like the rest of us, nothing happened, and he didn't have to do anything except stop saying bad things, and he didn't so they added to his fine, and like the rest of us theyĀ 'made him pay' after he had raised enough money from his network of donors and suckers, just like the rest of us.
Then he had another judgment go against him, and just like the rest of us he had to fork over nothing, and then when the deadline came for his assets to be seized, they weren't, just like would happen with anyone else.

Ā 

I don't see the problem here. Justice, y'know? Just like for any of us.

Ā 

~Bang

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

An important lesson from a dramatic new whirlwind of Trump legal news

Ā 

For both former President Donald Trump and the American people, Monday was a roller coaster of legal developments. One New York court ruled that Trumpā€™s first criminal trial will commence April 15, while another New York court, summarily and without explanation, reduced from $464 million to $175 million the bond amount he must post to stave off New York Attorney General Letitia James from seizing his assets.

Ā 

Notwithstanding the prospect of one of Trumpā€™s four criminal prosecutions potentially starting in the weeks to come, there is an unmistakable pattern that has emerged since he left office. Many of our institutions of government seem to have decided that the rules, the laws and the Constitution apply differently to Trump than they apply to the rest of us.

Ā 

Having spent decades at the Justice Department, I have some thoughts about this phenomenon, namely on what I see as the special treatment afforded Trump.

Ā 

First, Iā€™ve often sensed a hesitation ā€” a reluctance, even ā€” to take on the wealthy, the influential, the powerful, the well-connected, and in the case of Trump I see the same. Second, when those powerful people are in the political sphere, there is what I view as a hypersensitivity to the possibility of being accused of being partisan or of having some agenda beyond or separate from simply enforcing the laws of the land. Third, feds love their precedent, an appellate- court-approved legal blueprint to follow. Given that a former president has never been criminally prosecuted, this creates discomfort in even the most experienced prosecutors.

Ā 

Fourth, federal prosecutors have an alarmingly high conviction rate. Why? Well, the feds, for the most part, have the ability to pick and choose the cases they pursue. When someone violates a federal law, the person almost always also violates a state law. Therefore, the feds have the luxury of declining to pursue a given crime, opting instead to ā€œkick it to the states.ā€

Ā 

And federal prosecutors hate to lose, which often means they will take only the sure winners (though, in reality, there is no such thing). This quixotic mix of factors and features often results in the DOJ finding ways to talk itself out of applying the laws equally against the rich and powerful. And Trump is the poster boy for special treatment.

Ā 

Click on the link for the rest

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I hope that when Trump loses, Putin realizes he's useless and let's loose with whatever he's been holding over his head. It must be really juicy.Ā Ā 

I'm not convinced Putin has anything over Trump.Ā  Trump would eat Putin's ass pro bono as he worships what Putin has.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The 12th Commandment said:

I hope that when Trump loses, Putin realizes he's useless and let's loose with whatever he's been holding over his head. It must be really juicy.Ā Ā 

Ā 

He'll always be useful to him as long as he's causing chaos, imo.

Ā 

I wouldn't expect that kinda dump until Trump dies. And jus as a giant FU to all his sheep (aka more chaos).

Meh, I can dream.Ā  That ****sucker isn't really going to have to pay for anything most likely.Ā  Unless it turns out there is a God after all.Ā Ā 

Ā 

I don't believe Trump is running again because he wants to, I think Putin's making him, because he really wants carte blanche in Ukraine and NATO stifled, and watching that the effort to win is sincere.Ā  No proof or anything just the way their interactions seem to happen and what would make sense for Putin.Ā Ā 

Judge Merchan latest order:Ā Ā Extended gag order on Trump. He can't mention any of the judge's and DA's families. Possible penalties: a) no access to jurors names, addresses, etc; b) fines; or c) incarceration up to 30 days. Yay!

7 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Judge Merchan latest order:Ā Ā Extended gag order on Trump. He can't mention any of the judge's and DA's families. Possible penalties: a) no access to jurors names, addresses, etc; b) fines; or c) incarceration up to 30 days. Yay!

Sorry, girl.Ā 

I agree with Bang, ain't nothin' gonna happen.Ā Ā 

I'll believe it when I actually see it reported by 3 reputable sources.Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 10:28 PM, skinsmarydu said:

Sorry, girl.Ā 

I agree with Bang, ain't nothin' gonna happen.Ā Ā 

I'll believe it when I actually see it reported by 3 reputable sources.Ā 

Ā 

You and Bang are right, heā€™s already violated the expanded gag order and the judge is doing nothing about it:

Ā 

Trump is tempting fate on gag orders ā€” for himself and for the country

Ā 

Itā€™s difficult to think of a more combustible mixture thanĀ Donald Trumpand a gag order. Even with the former presidentā€™s freedom on the line, that combination is smoldering again.

Ā 

After violating gag orders onĀ at least two and arguably three previous occasionsĀ ā€” and after a judge this week employed a novel tactic to get him to stop ā€” Trump is flouting his latest one. Heā€™s doing so in a way that reinforces just how much latitude heā€™s been given, and just how untenable that latitude might be as his various cases proceed.

Ā 

The judge in Trumpā€™s Manhattan criminal trial late MondayĀ expanded Trumpā€™s gag orderĀ in that case to include the judgeā€™s and the district attorneyā€™s families. New York State Supreme Court Justice Juan Merchan did so after Trump repeatedly attacked Merchanā€™s daughter.

Ā 

Within hours Tuesday morning, Trump responded by not-subtly gesturing at the same attacks.

Ā 

In a Truth Social post, Trump derided the expanded gag order while suggestively citing ā€œconflicts taking place in his courtroom.ā€ Trump has claimed Merchan is ā€œcompromisedā€ because his daughter works for a Democratic-aligned digital marketing company.

Ā 

The next hour, Trump posted a Fox News video that more directly echoed the attack. While Trump in the text of his post cited related comments from a legal-analyst ally, the video itself included Fox host Brian Kilmeade pointing to the same supposed conflict of interest involving the judgeā€™s daughter that Trump has played up.

Ā 

ā€œAlso, the fact is, the judgeā€™s daughter is a[n] activist who works for Kamala Harris,ā€ Kilmeade said inĀ the video Trump posted, adding: ā€œThat to me is something that, if Iā€™m Donald Trump, Iā€™m clearly concerned about ā€” that the judge has a daughter who feels this way.ā€

Ā 

Click on the link for the full articleĀ 

• Thumb down 2

Delays delays delays and more nothing.

Clock keeps ticking, and it's going to run out.

I know it seems impossible that he could win in November, but it seemed impossible last time, too.Ā 

Ā 

~Biting my nails

Edited by Bang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Bang said:

Delays delays delays and more nothing.

Clock keeps ticking, and it's going to run out.

I know it seems impossible that he could win in November, but it seemed impossible last time, too.Ā 

Ā 

~Biting my nails

I said a long time ago that Trump would run out the clock. Our government look like idiots right now. This was always going to be his play and the fact that heā€™s been able to do it, despite everyone knowing it, is inexcusable. Our AG took too damn long to assign a special prosecutor and start this process. Then they got Trumpā€™s personal stooge for a judge and just went with it.
Ā 

And the other idiot DA in Georgia just had to hire her boyfriendā€¦

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 2

I thought that Smith didn't include anything about the Presidential Records Act in the charging documents, instead basing the charging documents on the Espionage Act. So Trump bringing up the PRA in the first place should have been thrown out by Cannon. I still say that a Trumper minion is advising her in these matters because she doesn't strike me as that bright.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Destino said:

I said a long time ago that Trump would run out the clock. Our government look like idiots right now. This was always going to be his play and the fact that heā€™s been able to do it, despite everyone knowing it, is inexcusable. Our AG took too damn long to assign a special prosecutor and start this process. Then they got Trumpā€™s personal stooge for a judge and just went with it.
Ā 

And the other idiot DA in Georgia just had to hire her boyfriendā€¦

My heart is sick.

Ā 

~bang

• Like 3

The trump era has highlighted the sad-assiest representations of American politics in general, American conservatism in particular, fundie xtianity, our judicial system, all politicalĀ  media coverage, the and the hilarious variability of genetics/environment, even in the Kennedy pool. šŸ‘

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

24 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

The trump era has highlighted the sad-assiest representations of American politics in general, American conservatism in particular, fundie xtianity, our judicial system, all politicalĀ  media coverage, the and the hilarious variability of genetics/environment, even in the Kennedy pool. šŸ‘

Ā 

****s really depressing. Why don't I fight it?