Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

I think they're thinking on that, is that the value Brisset provides for Howell, as a veteran support, is of more long term value than a late sixth or seventh rounder would be. That could be true. I'd still trade Brissett and bring in some other good vet QB, but they're keeping him, and it's not a stupid reason to me (much better justification than whatever reasoning they'd use to keep Allen or Payne if either of those guys carry day 1 or day 2 trade comp value). 

I think Flacco still wants to play, and he seems like he's become a mentor type lately. Again, not to trade Brissett for nothing, but if there is a decent offer for him I'd take it and look to replace him with someone like Flacco. 

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

There's no one on this roster that's worth more than the draft pick they'd get in return, outside of maybe Howell and Terry.

And I feel bad saddling Howell with this mess but it is what it is.  

I think Payne is still worth a 1st round pick. He plays every game and is still productive. 

Just hypothetical...

https://clutchpoints.com/commanders-trade-2023-nfl-deadline

>>1 last-minute trade Commanders must complete before 2023 NFL deadline

Commanders trade Chase Young to New Orleans Saints

Saints receive: Young, fifth-round pick

Commanders receive: second-round pick

Why the Commanders do it

There are two reasons why the Commanders could and should look to deal Chase Young. One of which would be that Washington already has a lot invested in their defensive line.

Jonathan Allen, a star defensive tackle, is currently in the second year of the four-year $72 million extension he signed a year ago. Da'Ron Payne, another staunch defensive tackle, is under contract for three more years and the Commanders are on the hook for at least the next two seasons at $21.6 million and $26.1 million respectively.

Complicating matters is the fact that both Young and Montez Sweat are impending free agents. Which leads to the other reason the Commanders should look to move Young: he simply hasn't produced the way Washington would've hoped when they selected him second overall in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Though Young is enjoying a bounce back season this year (he ranks 11th among edge rushers in ESPN's pass rush win rate metric), Sweat has been the more productive and available player in their careers. Sweat has 34.5 sacks in 66 career games, while Young has 14 sacks in only 33 games. His rookie season saw him produce 7.5 sacks came in his rookie year. Since then, he has 6.5 sacks in 18 games played.

Health has really hampered Young's career, but it has put his standing with the Commanders in a precarious spot. As a result, his name has swirled in trade rumors. Washington probably can't keep both Young and Sweat. Young could be the one who could be sent packing.

Why the Saints do it

The Saints badly need support rushing the passer. They currently rank 30th in ESPN's pass rush win rate. They also simply don't have that many sacks. New Orleans has 13 sacks on the season, tied for fifth-lowest in the NFL. Only the Los Angeles Rams, New York Giants, Chicago Bears, and Houston Texans have fewer sacks on the season. And of the 13 sacks they do have, 4.5 of them have come from Carl Granderson.

They need more pass rushers and have a history of making win now moves. They could be the ones to pay up for either Young or Sweat. Young being 24 years old could fetch more draft picks. If the Commanders get an offer like this, this would be a trade that would benefit both sides.<<

• Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1

3 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Trade Chase, Fuller, Samuel, Gibson, Brissett

Lol no. People are saying trade all these players!! And have no idea what the cap ramifications are on them. Yes we have 93 million in cap next year, but if we trade a bunch of players that cap numbers is going to be a lot lower than 93 million.  C'mon people, use your heads.

Chase, Fuller, Samuel, and Brissett if traded would create 20 million in dead cap.. again no thanks.

Edited by Tress Is The Way
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Tress Is The Way said:

Lol no. People are saying trade all these players!! And have no idea what the cap ramifications are on them. Yes we have 93 million in cap next year, but if we trade a bunch of players that cap numbers is going to be a lot lower than 93 million.  C'mon people, use your heads.

I don’t follow. None of those guys are under contract for next season.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

2 minutes ago, Tress Is The Way said:

That and you still need to field a roster for this season.

The big thing is, the league simply doesn't value our players very much. At least not to the extent that they'd be willing to give up draft picks for many of them.

I mean, why should they? We're 3-5 with losses to the Bears and Giants.

Chase, Fuller, Samuel, Gibson and Brissett are all FAs and are not on the books in 2024.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Trade Chase, Fuller, Samuel, Gibson, Brissett

Chase, Fuller, Samuel, and Brissett if traded would create 20 million in dead cap.. again no thanks.

I don't think any one of those players mentioned has much if any cap number after this year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

I don’t follow. None of those guys are under contract for next season.

They would be traded in season, meaning their dead cap money would hit next years cap. This isn't the offseason. This is a hypothetical trade pre-june 1st scenario. 

Some of you don't understand how dead money works and it shows. We are still paying on WJ3 and Landon Collins THIS YEAR in dead cap money.

Edited by Tress Is The Way
  • Sad 1

Um, no. Each of those players would bring a net cap savings to Washington for this year, and none of them have any cap ramifications for next year.  (Samuel has void years in his contract, so he'd have a dead cap hit in 2024, but it's the same whether he's dealt or not)

• Like 1