Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

The Eagles have given Hassan Riddick their best d-lineman permission to seek a trade with another team.  He's had more than 20 sacks in his

young career.  Eagles don't want to give him a huge contract.  Should Peter's call his agent and see if we can sign him?

• Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

The Eagles have given Hassan Riddick their best d-lineman permission to seek a trade with another team.  He's had more than 20 sacks in his

young career.  Eagles don't want to give him a huge contract.  Should Peter's call his agent and see if we can sign him?

I think it's worth a call for sure,  the worst they can say is no lol.  

• Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 2/7/2024 at 8:39 PM, Conn said:

I said it in another thread but Juaun Jennings would become a fan favorite role player here. One of Peters’ guys, likely. Perfect 4th WR who can take a bigger role if someone’s hurt. Clutch on 3rd down, most of his receptions were in tough situations to gain 1st downs. Can block his ass off. Some YAC ability, he hates to go down. 

I’d still want a stud across from McLaurin to push Dotson into the slot. But Juaun Jennings would be the perfect complement. Especially if Kliff is going to be running lots of 4-5 WR sets 

I’ll quote his again,

some talk the 49ers might struggle to keep him, unless they put a first or second round tender on him. No team will match that, but they have limited cap space. Was he an UDFA ? That limits the right of first refusal tag.

Anyway, for those that like him, his designation as a RFA might not automatically have him being retained by SF.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I’ll quote his again,

some talk the 49ers might struggle to keep him, unless they put a first or second round tender on him. No team will match that, but they have limited cap space. Was he an UDFA ? That limits the right of first refusal tag.

Anyway, for those that like him, his designation as a RFA might not automatically have him being retained by SF.

That’s very interesting info, I hadn’t seen that, thanks for passing it along. Definitely worth keeping an eye on 

22 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I’ll quote his again,

22 hours ago, Conn said:

That’s very interesting info, I hadn’t seen that, thanks for passing it along. Definitely worth keeping an eye on 

Was curious what the implications would be after this comment.  PROJECTED values of $4.6 (2nd round tender) to 6.4 million (1st round tender) and it'd be a 1 year deal, so all that would hit year one.  He was a 7th rounder it seems, but even the Right of First Refusal is $2.8 mill.  Although, it's fair to assume at least 1 team would be willing to ditch a 7th rounder for him and to a contract that would likely be tough for 49ers to match.

https://overthecap.com/franchise-transition-and-rfa-tenders

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/san-francisco-49ers  Currently, $3.7 mill over (effectively 11.7 mill over needing 8 new players to hit 53).  Cuts from this don't look super valuable to gain cap space (McCaffrey, Greenlaw and Juszczyk the only guys with 4+ million cap savings and they aren't getting cut).  Some restructures to kick down the road would help, but with draft picks needing some $$ and only 45 contracts (meaning at least 8 new signings), it would seem they have a few tough decisions to make.  They do have 12 draft picks to fill, which is late round heavy, that may be where most of the 8 new signings come from.

image.png.2f7921af2bc2b4233079051b89dc5f79.png

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Brandon Aiyuk, how much would you offer to SF in a trade for him ? 

Don't want a player we have to give up premium picks for then shell out a big contract.  Let's get a wr in the 2nd under team control for 4 years at a much better price tag.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Don't want a player we have to give up premium picks for then shell out a big contract.  Let's get a wr in the 2nd under team control for 4 years at a much better price tag.

I can’t see it being a premium pick, they really dont like his cap number. He’s making noise already that he’s potentially moving on.

6 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I can’t see it being a premium pick, they really dont like his cap number. He’s making noise already that he’s potentially moving on.

Will be interesting to see if he gets moved and what he fetches.  He would definitely be great in our new vertical offense.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Looking at stats (and general contracts over time), he'd be looking for more per than McClaurin's 3 yr / $68.3 mill extension.  Even if just $23 million per, you would have $46 million tied to you're top 2 receivers and be down draft capital.  If you skip an extension, I'd imagine the noise would continue and he'd be moving on next year.  

With extension, that's 19% of the cap, dedicated to 2 players.  Unless they traded Terry, I don't think you'd find a scenario it makes sense.  

We're not at the point where we want to trade for someone like Aiyuk. That's something a team like the Packers or Ravens should do, teams that are already on the brink of contention and just need that one extra piece to get over the jump.

McLaurin/Dotson should be a good enough WR duo. Maybe add a size guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and go from there. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Brandon Aiyuk, how much would you offer to SF in a trade for him ? 

Nothing - it doesn't make sense to pay him what he'll want.

WR is becoming a position where it is making more and more sense to keep drafting young players, and rarely offer them a second contract.

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Some of these coaching hires are making me very confident that we snag 3 or 4 excellent FAs from teams linked to some of our new coaching staff.

I feel like we are going to be a premium destination for defensive free agents. This coaching staff is really going to sell. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I feel like we are going to be a premium destination for defensive free agents. This coaching staff is really going to sell. 

90% of a players decision in FA is money.  

The only time relationships really play a part is if money is close and a player has to make a decision.

The good news is we used to have the negative tie breaker with Dan + doofuses.  

Now we don’t and that good for us .

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We're not at the point where we want to trade for someone like Aiyuk. That's something a team like the Packers or Ravens should do, teams that are already on the brink of contention and just need that one extra piece to get over the jump.

McLaurin/Dotson should be a good enough WR duo. Maybe add a size guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and go from there. 

Or Chiefs.

Though I doubt the 49ers are sending a WR to the team they can’t beat in the SB. 

2 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Possibly. I think it’s more likely it’ll attract some 1-2 year deal type players. They’ll want to prove they’re worth a bigger contract and have a good shot here. At the end of the day though it’s going to be $$ and we have quite a bit to throw around.

Don’t waste picks on vets. Draft players and you’re bound to hit on on some of them. Adam seems to find gems in the later rounds.

The bulk of the rebuild will be through the draft and those undrafted players.

I don’t expect us to sign to many top tier free agents.

• Like 1