Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Conn said:

I said it in another thread but Juaun Jennings would become a fan favorite role player here. One of Peters’ guys, likely. Perfect 4th WR who can take a bigger role if someone’s hurt. Clutch on 3rd down, most of his receptions were in tough situations to gain 1st downs. Can block his ass off. Some YAC ability, he hates to go down. 

I’d still want a stud across from McLaurin to push Dotson into the slot. But Juaun Jennings would be the perfect complement. Especially if Kliff is going to be running lots of 4-5 WR sets 

Jennings reminds me some of Anquon Bolden....I'd take him here as a starter with Terry and Dotson.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 6:39 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

Is it crazy to think about us signing Bryce Huff AND Danielle Hunter? We have the dollars to do it. That and a MIKE, and we suddenly can go all in on offense in the draft. Enormously improved defense, OL, and QB situation in one offseason. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Is it crazy to think about us signing Bryce Huff AND Danielle Hunter? We have the dollars to do it. That and a MIKE, and we suddenly can go all in on offense in the draft. Enormously improved defense, OL, and QB situation in one offseason. 

This turn around for us won't take as long as some people think it will. We'll be competitive next season.

• Like 5

I mentioned Calvin Ridley as a guy linked back to Quinn.

I’ll now go for Hollywood Brown, a player Kingsbury wanted at AZ. Granted that experience had some highs and lows, Brown in particular showing Ill discipline on more than one occasions. But he’s a FA I believe…

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I mentioned Calvin Ridley as a guy linked back to Quinn.

I’ll now go for Hollywood Brown, a player Kingsbury wanted at AZ. Granted that experience had some highs and lows, Brown in particular showing Ill discipline on more than one occasions. But he’s a FA I believe…

We have Terry and Dotson. Terry is a stud Dotson had a poor second year, but I’m hoping that was at least in part due to the **** show around him. Let’s assume Samuels is not back.

Terry and Dotson are around or just under 6 ft. We need a bigger X type receiver to start alongside them - Ridley and Brown don’t offer that. It’s a good draft for someone looking for that bigger outside receiver. 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, MartinC said:

We have Terry and Dotson. Terry is a stud Dotson had a poor second year, but I’m hoping that was at least in part due to the **** show around him. Let’s assume Samuels is not back.

Terry and Dotson are around or just under 6 ft. We need a bigger X type receiver to start alongside them - Ridley and Brown don’t offer that. It’s a good draft for someone looking for that bigger outside receiver. 

Agree. I’d draft a WR too. 

• Like 2

More’s the point, I think we have the unenviable task of findings a couple of OL veterans via free agency. If the plan is rookie QB, I personally think day 2 of the draft, in particular the 2nd round, will have other positions way higher as BPA.

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Agree. I’d draft a WR too. 

Here is a sleeper for you. Johnny Wilson  - Florida. He's like 6' 6" 235 and runs a 4.4.  He was probably a 5th or 6th round before the start of this season  but now he's maybe as high as 3rd rounder although if blows up the combine he might not last that long. He wasted two years at ASU and hardly played then he switched to Florida for his Jr year and was their primary target. 43 catches at 20 yards a catch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Bring em all in, they'll all start. 

I've never liked the idea of bringing in guys who were extremely well coached and broke out from out of nowhere, that always seems to backfire when they go elsewhere.

That said some of those guys on that list didn't just come from nowhere and they'll still have the coaches that helped them break out but I'd rather try to find our own hidden gems to groom, that's what we brought peters in for.

Use the money to get guys who have always been blue chip and aren't as scheme dependent if they're out there in free agency of course.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I've never liked the idea of bringing in guys who were extremely well coached and broke out from out of nowhere, that always seems to backfire when they go elsewhere.

That said some of those guys on that list didn't just come from nowhere and they'll still have the coaches that helped them break out but I'd rather try to find our own hidden gems to groom, that's what we brought peters in for.

Use the money to get guys who have always been blue chip and aren't as scheme dependent if they're out there in free agency of course.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic but if we bring in half of those guys that are younger, know the system and are upgrades that would be a win in year one of Quinn's tenure. Adding other free agents is absolutely necessary too for sure. I have high hopes for KJ Henry as a nice piece, especially if we add a stud on the other side.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Here is a sleeper for you. Johnny Wilson  - Florida. He's like 6' 6" 235 and runs a 4.4.  He was probably a 5th or 6th round before the start of this season  but now he's maybe as high as 3rd rounder although if blows up the combine he might not last that long. He wasted two years at ASU and hardly played then he switched to Florida for his Jr year and was their primary target. 43 catches at 20 yards a catch.

You could not miss him at the senior bowl with his size. We need more size at WR and Some better TE's. Players that can do multiple things for both pass and run. We have 5 wr's about the same size, it needs to change. Wilson could do many things for the team? We need more speed, quicker type in the backfield who can do more. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Wouldn't be shocked to see 3 of these guys ... Armstrong, Fowler and Kearse. All three would be had for "cheap" compared to other options on the market.

Dorance Armstrong is coming off a 2 year $12m deal with Dallas

Dante Fowler is coming off a 1 year $3m deal with Dallas

Jayron Kearse if coming off a 2 year $10m deal with Dallas

Maybe we do go hard after a Huff or Josh Allen or Danielle Hunter. But if we are being judicious on defense those three could probably be had all together for the same cap hit as Allen or Huff, and we know that we need bodies on defense. Would not be shocked to see us go aggressively after those 3 out of the gate.

Kearse (29), Armstrong (27), Fowler (29) will all be under 30 when the season starts, so they aren't "old" and could fit a 2-3 year defensive rebuild nicely.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I am not ready to overpay for Cowboys again, it sucked last time with Norv.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Since Adam’s preference is building through the draft; wonder how active we will be in free agency?

Given the holes on this team and the number of our players without contracts, I'm not sure we have much of a choice.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Since Adam’s preference is building through the draft; wonder how active we will be in free agency?

They want to be competitive right away and have a boatload of cap space to enhance the roster to go with the draft picks. I see him going after a couple bigger name players at key positions along with a bunch of lesser tier players that fit needs and the system. He and the coaching staff have long tentacles through the NFL as far as familiarity goes with many of these players. 

Mike Onwenu would be a target at RT. I can't see the PFF contract projections, but they comp. him to Daryl Williams in 2021, who landed a 3 year $24m deal. That seems pretty low, but based on contract inflation it would probably fall closer to 3 years $33 or $36m, if I had to guess.

They have Jonah Williams ranked lower but comp. him to Ju'Wuan James 2019 contract, which was 4 years $51 million. 

So I think we should expect a top RT contract to be in the neighborhood of $12-15m APY. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tress Is The Way said:

I am very open to them speaking to Jeff Okudah.. dude is only 25 years old and has received the short end of the stick in his time with the Lions and Falcons. With D. Quinn I think he could get the best out of him - what are everyone thoughts?

He stinks. He's probably not any better than Forbes or St. Juste.

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

We have to do something in FA. There is a minimum you have to spend and we have like 30+ roster spots open.

I don't see us spending big on a few guys but probably spreading the money around for cheaper, shorter term deals to fill out the roster and maybe we get lucky and find a vet that ends up outperforming his deal(think Ronald Darby in 2020 or Deandre Carter in 2021/JD McKissic).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Good point to be fair. Quinn did specifically mention our cap position in the introductory presser, in a round about way, saying about preserving space for later years being an option he has considered.