Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

He was better then good. Not on the Aaron Donald/Chris Jones level but a notch below for sure. He was one of the few top 100 players we had.

I only saw it for one season to be honest with you.. I believe it was the year after he signed the big deal which is a credit to him..  Before and after that year I always  considered him overrated. I'm sticking with "good" as that is what he was IMO.  Now he isn't even that.  

But I think it's premature to jettison the few good players we have on this team. I really believe they deserve a shot with better coaches before we can really make an evaluation.  Posters are talking about trading both DTs. Well that would surely be a quick total dismantling of a DL that many thought was good. I'm not ready to do a complete start over with the DL, that could take years.  

• Like 1

From reading these posts I wonder how many people actually listen to what John Allen said on the Junkies show. He didn't openly advocate for anything. EB asked him a question and John answered it honestly. I didn't hear anything wrong with what he said and I appreciated him answering honestly but he wasn't advocating to leave the team. 

The reality is he's got no guaranteed money left and he's getting up there in age so he's probably low-hanging fruit for the incoming GM to unload for some draft picks.

• Like 1

I’m not married to anyone on the defense.  Tbh, I’m only married to Sam rn and his cheap contract the next two years.  Far as I’m concerned, no one else is untouchable.  I feel like when everything is finally settled and in place, the toxicity of the franchise will be a distant memory.  To do that, everything must go 

• Like 1

So I'm not playing with numbers right now, I'm just looking at a few things and trying to add a veteran presence to this team. 

Here's some stuff I would like to do. 

- Sign

Chris Jones 19.5 AAV

Devin Whilte 7.5 AAV

Connor Williams - 7.5 AAV

Josh Allen - 6.5 AAV

Patrick Queen - 3.0 AAV

Tee Higgins - 2.1 AAV

-Resign 

Curtis Samuel 11.5 AAV

Kendall Fuller 10.0 AAV

I'm going to stop because this is fun but I doubt these AAV numbers are in any means accurate (I'm using spotrac). Josh Allen has 13.5 sacks this year. He will definitely demand more than 6.5 mil a year. If we can get him for less than we signed Brissett for, then sign me up. But the names are some I would like. I don't know about double dipping on Jones and Allen because it would again put too much money into our DL but bringing one of those names would be nice. I would put Jones way above Allen because I think he is a locker room changer. But Allen I think is no slouch. I wouls also Rank Queen above White. And Tee Higgins above Curtis Samuel. 

Lots of good targets on that list (agreed that the contracts will be bugger).

One I don’t want is Queen. He was a disappointment and pretty much sucked until they brought in a much better LB to play next to him and take things off his plate, which made things click more for him. If we don’t have that guy here you aren’t going to be able to replicate his moderate success.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Conn said:

Lots of good targets on that list (agreed that the contracts will be bugger).

One I don’t want is Queen. He was a disappointment and pretty much sucked until they brought in a much better LB to play next to him and take things off his plate, which made things click more for him. If we don’t have that guy here you aren’t going to be able to replicate his moderate success.

Yep. Queen = Jamin Davis. Luvu, Hicks and Al Shaair are better options.

22 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm not playing with numbers right now, I'm just looking at a few things and trying to add a veteran presence to this team. 

- Sign

Chris Jones 19.5 AAV

Devin Whilte 7.5 AAV

Josh Allen - 6.5 AAV

Patrick Queen - 3.0 AAV

Tee Higgins - 2.1 AAV

-Resign 

Curtis Samuel 11.5 AAV

Kendall Fuller 10.0 AAV

I'm going to stop because this is fun but I doubt these AAV numbers are in any means accurate (I'm using spotrac). Josh Allen has 13.5 sacks this year. He will definitely demand more than 6.5 mil a year. If we can get him for less than we signed Brissett for, then sign me up. But the names are some I would like. I don't know about double dipping on Jones and Allen because it would again put too much money into our DL but bringing one of those names would be nice. I would put Jones way above Allen because I think he is a locker room changer. But Allen I think is no slouch. I wouls also Rank Queen above White. And Tee Higgins above Curtis Samuel. 

There is no way the Chiefs and Jags let Jones and Allen go. And I'm guessing White gets franchised(and LBs typically aren't worth big money unless its a MLB stud type like Roquan Smith). Williams is my #1 FA target. I like Higgins but unless its drafting Harrison jr I'm fine just rolling with our WRs again. 

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is no way the Chiefs and Jags let Jones and Allen go. And I'm guessing White gets franchised(and LBs typically aren't worth big money unless its a MLB stud type like Roquan Smith). Williams is my #1 FA target. I like Higgins but unless its drafting Harrison jr I'm fine just rolling with our WRs again. 

We got money to spend but FA this year is not all that hot. There will be a few players out there for big money but only a few.  Most will be overpaid due to the lack of talent in FA.  

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know about Jones because they were at a standstill all off-season. So I think he's the most gettable. 

I don't know about getting a center because I want to see what we've got in the guy we drafted. He was supposed to be the top center in the draft and didn't even get a look there in the season. He could be a hidden gem. 

25 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I don't know about Jones because they were at a standstill all off-season. So I think he's the most gettable. 

I don't know about getting a center because I want to see what we've got in the guy we drafted. He was supposed to be the top center in the draft and didn't even get a look there in the season. He could be a hidden gem. 

I will also say White is not a guy we want. Overrated player due to his 2020 season but he makes a ton of mistakes and David is the green dot in TB

On 12/8/2023 at 11:11 AM, Thinking Skins said:

- Sign

Chris Jones 19.5 AAV

Devin Whilte 7.5 AAV

Josh Allen - 6.5 AAV

Patrick Queen - 3.0 AAV

Tee Higgins - 2.1 AAV

-Resign 

Curtis Samuel 11.5 AAV

Kendall Fuller 10.0 AAV

Williams would be an incredible stabilizing force for the IOL. He can either start at C with Strom as backup or at LG with Wylie, Daniels and/r anyone else battling out for backup. 

Then draft two OL - OT's early.  My belief is his price will be jacked due to the OL need for so many teams. 

Jones or Allen would be a giant get but I very much doubt at lest one if not both will be avaible. If they are, similar to Williams, there will be battles for these players. 

On 12/11/2023 at 10:48 PM, method man said:

Connor Williams down with a major knee injury. Sad. Going to certainly impact the type of deal he gets

Yup, damnit. ACL - I doubt he is ready for preseason too

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins center Connor Williams will miss the remainder of the season with a torn ACL, coach Mike McDaniel said Tuesday, a critical blow to a team still in contention for the conference's top seed.

Williams suffered the knee injury on the Dolphins' first offensive series in their 28-27 loss Monday night to the Tennessee Titans and did not return, leaving the Dolphins without four of their five starters on the offensive line.

Click link for more:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39099004/dolphins-lose-starting-center-connor-williams-torn-acl

On 12/13/2023 at 6:52 AM, DWinzit said:

Yup, damnit. ACL - I doubt he is ready for preseason too

MIAMI GARDENS, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins center Connor Williams will miss the remainder of the season with a torn ACL, coach Mike McDaniel said Tuesday, a critical blow to a team still in contention for the conference's top seed.

Williams suffered the knee injury on the Dolphins' first offensive series in their 28-27 loss Monday night to the Tennessee Titans and did not return, leaving the Dolphins without four of their five starters on the offensive line.

Click link for more:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39099004/dolphins-lose-starting-center-connor-williams-torn-acl

He probably plays next year but starts on PUP. You could sign Williams to a big 1 year deal. Stromberg gets to start first few games of the season. Williams takes over rest of the way. You see what you have in both and assess what to do. Could be best of both worlds

• Like 1

5 hours ago, method man said:

He probably plays next year but starts on PUP. You could sign Williams to a big 1 year deal. Stromberg gets to start first few games of the season. Williams takes over rest of the way. You see what you have in both and assess what to do. Could be best of both worlds

I can see this if the HC or OC is already familiar with Williams. If that is the situation I would go with a longer deal with the intent to be the multi-year starter.

I say that because I find it hard to see they would want to put their trust in Strom to start the year as they would have nothing invested in him and aren't overly familiar with him other than through tape. The other thing is they'd need another C until Williams is available and comfortable that his knee is stable. 

I don't see the next regime focusing on position flex. Instead get good players to play the position they are best at. You know, like Wylie playing G 😑 That way the players get the best feel for the position they are playing and get comfortable with what the guy on either side of them is doing and thinking so they can gel as a unit. Boy do we need that!

On 12/11/2023 at 8:35 PM, Ball Security said:

Austin Jackson, been mentioned in either this thread or another. Sounds like he got extended by Miami if I heard the broadcast correctly.

I think what the last three years or so have show us is that the widezone Shanahan style offense is O-Line friendly.  I am hesitant to sign O-Lineman who were meh, then started playing in a Shanahan offense, and suddenly were good.  And Jackson meets that criteria.   I am think he is probably a decent player, but I think playing in a O-Line friendly offense will make you look better and you end up paying a mid level starter like he is an above average starter. 

• Like 1

Kam Curl is a good player, but he doesn't make splash plays in coverage.  He ran a 4.60 at the NFL combine.  He plays smart in coverage and part of playing smart if you lack speed is to understand you don't have the speed to get out of position.  Thus he tends to be a fairly dependable but not great coverage player.  As a run defender, he is very good for a safety, possibly a top 10 or so run defender amongst safeties in the NFL.  That said splash plays are made by safeties in coverage--not in run defense.  A fair deal for Curl would be something in the 3 year 40 million dollar deal.

12 hours ago, philibusters said:

I think what the last three years or so have show us is that the widezone Shanahan style offense is O-Line friendly.  I am hesitant to sign O-Lineman who were meh, then started playing in a Shanahan offense, and suddenly were good.  And Jackson meets that criteria.   I am think he is probably a decent player, but I think playing in a O-Line friendly offense will make you look better and you end up paying a mid level starter like he is an above average starter. 

Agreed. The fact Tua gets rid of the ball so quickly makes many of these OLs look a lot better than they actually are

1 hour ago, philibusters said:

Kam Curl is a good player, but he doesn't make splash plays in coverage.  He ran a 4.60 at the NFL combine.  He plays smart in coverage and part of playing smart if you lack speed is to understand you don't have the speed to get out of position.  Thus he tends to be a fairly dependable but not great coverage player.  As a run defender, he is very good for a safety, possibly a top 10 or so run defender amongst safeties in the NFL.  That said splash plays are made by safeties in coverage--not in run defense.  A fair deal for Curl would be something in the 3 year 40 million dollar deal.

I don’t want him back. Why not spend $5m a year extra and go get the best safety in the NFL in Winfield Jr?

• Like 2