Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

So, John Allen took the money, hasn’t lived up to it, but now is complaining about not winning? Ugh. I get being frustrated, but I thought he was above trashing his teammates/coaches like that. I guess even the players are infected by the stench of Snyder. Maybe we do need to completely blow it up.

4 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Dalton Shultz I think would be the top tight end available if he hits free agency. Noah Fant’s contract is also up. Not much else.

Given the number of staff changes that are going to happen this offseason, I would expect some solid vets to be released. For example, in NE, a new staff may not want to keep someone like Hunter Henry around. 

55 minutes ago, woodpecker said:

So, John Allen took the money, hasn’t lived up to it, but now is complaining about not winning? Ugh. I get being frustrated, but I thought he was above trashing his teammates/coaches like that. I guess even the players are infected by the stench of Snyder. Maybe we do need to completely blow it up.

How does being frustrated turn into him trashing teammates and coaches? Say what you want about his play this year but the dude always takes responsibility and I've never heard him trash anyone. He signed his deal before the 2021 season and he's made 2 pro bowls since. So yeah he took the money but acting as if he hasn't performed after the contract is inaccurate.

• Like 2

On 12/4/2023 at 4:57 PM, JamesMadisonSkins said:

He's really been a turnstile. I am hoping kicking into LG as depth/competition will help. 

We HAVE to get a RT. And a LT. Hard to see us doing that in one draft but we'll see. It is a deep class, I just don't know if you can expect two rookie OTs to come in and start at LT and RT in Year 1. Oftentimes premier LTs start at RT and RTs start at RG before kicking to permanent positions. Maybe I'm off-base there, but just seems to be my interpretation. 

Agreed. I actually saw where some guy on Twitter said that we didn't need to acquire two offensive tackles. He said he could see us getting one more but even that would be a " luxury. " My jaw hit the ground. I guess Stevie Wonder is a Washington fan.

6 hours ago, woodpecker said:

And didn't he, not too long ago, chastise the fans for not showing up? 

7 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

How does being frustrated turn into him trashing teammates and coaches? Say what you want about his play this year but the dude always takes responsibility and I've never heard him trash anyone. He signed his deal before the 2021 season and he's made 2 pro bowls since. So yeah he took the money but acting as if he hasn't performed after the contract is inaccurate.

Yeah the Allen hate is absurd. Sure he's had a down year but he's one of the few players on this team who's earned the right to voice his opinion and still has a real good reputation around the league(there was a lot of interest in him at the deadline). 

• Like 2

Throw me in the group of people not comfortable with the Curl and Allen hate.   Allen is finishing his 7th season here.    He has been very productive.   He has been a team leader.  He is frustrated.  Commanders fans are frustrated too.  Because we are looking at a  bit of rebuild, it would make sense to trade Allen if you could pick up a significant asset like a second round pick because our timeline and his teammate may no longer matchup, but he has been great for us.  By PFF standards this is a down season for Allen.  He has a 64 PFF grade this year after having a 80, 85, and 80 grade the previous 3 years.  But there are rumors he played through plantar fasciitis this year.  Fans turn on players so quickly. 

Curl is a very solid player for us and by NFL standards he has given us really good play for peanuts because he was a 7th round draft pick.   The surplus value on him we have gotten for him for the past 4 years is very high because of the way rookie contracts work.  Now he wants to get paid.   And I am hoping we will be the team to pay him, but I don't want to overpay, so it just comes down to what the market for Curl is.  Like a lot of good safeties in the NFL he is not a splash player but he is very good as a run defender and can serve as a LB and is fairly tight in his coverages.  Not a speedster so does have some limitations but very good player who has played very well for us and been at the bottom of our payroll for four years.   

Edited by philibusters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All that talk about culture in recent years and you’ve got a team captain/‘leader’ openly advocating for leaving the franchise. The guy has talked a good game for sometime but when the push comes to shove he’s just as mid as the rest.

Happily trade Payne and Allen, and move on from Kam Curl. The only one that will sting a bit is Terry but I’m happy to fully rebuild it all.

2 hours ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

All that talk about culture in recent years and you’ve got a team captain/‘leader’ openly advocating for leaving the franchise. The guy has talked a good game for sometime but when the push comes to shove he’s just as mid as the rest.

Happily trade Payne and Allen, and move on from Kam Curl. The only one that will sting a bit is Terry but I’m happy to fully rebuild it all.

I think he's earned the right to speak as freely as he does about the state of this organization.  This is a tire-fire, dumpster juice of an organization, and it's gotta be tough for players like Allen & McLaurin to deal with on a daily basis.  Both those guys came from winning college programs, so it's gotta be tough to deal with a toxic dump of an organization, from the previous ownership, to the front office and the below average coaching staffs they've had in their years here in DC.  I have no problem with Allen or McLaurin expressing their frustrations with what's going on.  I would worry about them if they didn't feel that frustration to be honest with you.

I remember fans getting on Trent Williams' case when he expressed those same frustrations as his cancer diagnosis fiasco was unfolding.  Because of arrogance and stupidity from ownership and the coaching staff, we ran off the best LT of a generation.  We're still feeling the affects of this today.  I'd hate to run off other talented players (the few that we have), because fans can't handle the truth.  We owe it to Allen & McLaurin to treat them the best way that we can, after all they've suffered with dealing with this basura franchise in their careers.

13 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah the Allen hate is absurd. Sure he's had a down year but he's one of the few players on this team who's earned the right to voice his opinion and still has a real good reputation around the league(there was a lot of interest in him at the deadline). 

Up until this season he was a good player, nothing more. For this season at least he isn't even that;  And he is paid like an elite player.  Now in a year where he has done nothing but help the team lose he is popping off. I can sure understand why there is pushback against that.  

• Like 1

Allen suspiciously started his chirping before the trade deadline and nothing happened for him but it's also worth noting he has no more guarantees left on his contract.

Don't remember where it came from on The Junkies this morning but said the defense back to training camp had no energy to it.   Maybe this had to do with the coaching staff and EOY departure thing but whatever.

They just need to purge this roster of all the losing stink if guys don't wanna play here. 

Edited by HigSkin

25 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Up until this season he was a good player, nothing more. For this season at least he isn't even that;  And he is paid like an elite player.  Now in a year where he has done nothing but help the team lose he is popping off. I can sure understand why there is pushback against that.  

He was better then good. Not on the Aaron Donald/Chris Jones level but a notch below for sure. He was one of the few top 100 players we had.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I don't think he is even paid like a truly elite DT.  His deal was 4 years 72 million (18 million per year).   Even our own team, Daron Payne dwarfs that at 4 years 90 million (18 million vs. 22.5 million) and at teh very top of the DT market you have Aaron Donald 3 years 95 million and Chris Jones who is essentially on a one year deal worht 25 million.