Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 hours ago, lovemaskins said:

most likely we have just next year. His price increases the longer we wait and he continues to improve and we can’t take advantage of the 5th year option. We should be resigning him after next year going into the final year of his rookie contract vice potentially playing the franchise tag game sans Kirk Cousins…

it’s what the best teams did, San Diego, Philly, Kansas City, Cincy, all signed their QBs early… letting the contract expire isn’t smart.

Extending him after next year will still limit the cap hit in 2025 bc the base salary will remain low

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Might have missed this, when we traded Sweat and Young did their remaining contract money for this season go with them ? Or did we eat some of that ?

I may be totally wrong, but I think the standard for trades are any bonuses get accelerated to the trading team's cap but the team getting the player has to pay their regular salary, unless some sort of deal is worked out. So I think we have basically nine games of rookie contract signing bonus hitting us, but Chicago and San Fran are taking their base salary

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Anyone else been playing with draft games with the extra 2 picks? Do it and realize why getting rid of dead weight for 2nd and 3rds makes sense. And even if those picks dont hit. Neither did the players we traded. Gutting the 31st ranked defense in the NFL was the right move. The rebuild has started. EMBRACE IT.

giphy.gif?cid=5a38a5a2nmcwted5ek3vx5qblj3hatlui0iyzmyzklzvvgp5&ep=v1_gifs_search&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g

Josh Harris and/or Shiny New Eugene.

• Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I wish we would have traded Manny Forbes to Pitt for Joey Porter. You see him lock down Hopkins? In his grill calling incompletions before the ball gets there.

We probably could traded Forbes for Porters jock carrier today. He needs to prove he is worthy before we could ever get anything for him. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, philibusters said:

In the total hypothetical realm, assuming the market for Chase Young is not there due to the injury and he could be signed here for say 4 years 60 million dollars this offseason, would you guys do it?

After the coaches said they would have dealt him for any pick they could get, because they wanted him off the team that badly?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

After the coaches said they would have dealt him for any pick they could get, because they wanted him off the team that badly?

The coaches never said that.  For what its worth the beat writers never insinuated that is how the coaches felt (except for maybe Chris Russell who is more prone to give hot takes on social media than any of the other beat reporters).  What the beat writers did say was that the team didn't plan on resigning Chase Young this offseason regardless of what happened with Montez Sweat.  The fans kind of intrepreted that as teh coaches wanted him off the team.  I think the reality is Young aggravated the coaches some because of his free lancing and him skipping OTA's and not always taking to coaching, but just as big of a factor was his injury history.  With those two things in mind, they didn't want to heavily invest in him.  But, if he was available for a reasonable price, say 4 years 56 million, I do think that would change the equation, not just with the fans, but with the organization.  Now I think this is all highly unlikely, but I just thought it was an interesting hypothetical.

Edited by philibusters

Chase's ideal role a few years from now may be sideline hype guy at DT in obvious passing downs. Situational player.  I cant shake the feeling that if we kept him he'd have likely sat out disgruntled from our insulting offer for a 2nd OA or from being tagged.

Edited by RandyHolt

5 minutes ago, philibusters said:

The coaches never said that.  For what its worth the beat writers never insinuated that is how the coaches felt (except for maybe Chris Russell who is more prone to give hot takes on social media than any of the other beat reporters).  What the beat writers did say was that the team didn't plan on resigning Chase Young this offseason regardless of what happened with Montez Sweat.  The fans kind of intrepreted that as teh coaches wanted him off the team.  I think the reality is Young aggravated the coaches some because of his free lancing and him skipping OTA's and not always taking to coaching, but just as big of a factor was his injury history.  With those two things in mind, they didn't want to heavily invest in him.  But, if he was available for a reasonable price, say 4 years 56 million, I do think that would change the equation, not just with the fans, but with the organization.  Now I think this is all highly unlikely, but I just thought it was an interesting hypothetical.

There was a tweet during a game a few weeks ago when Ron and the coaches stayed out of the locker room. Said Chase stood up and said it's on the players doing their jobs and not the coaches and everyone laughed at him. They've been leaking that Chase might be smoking weed when away from the team and is bad in the locker room. 

Ron said "we'd have taken a lower pick". Suggesting they might bring him back, is ridiculous. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Chase's ideal role a few years from now may be sideline hype guy at DT in obvious passing downs. Situational player.  I cant shake the feeling that if we kept him he'd have likely sat out disgruntled from our insulting offer for a 2nd OA or from being tagged.

Young has the 5th highest pass rush win rate in the NFL this season.  I do agree that he is undisciplined (both as a pass rusher and run defender), but I feel like fans perspective has veered way off course since he was traded.  He was playing reasonably well this year.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

There was a tweet during a game a few weeks ago when Ron and the coaches stayed out of the locker room. Said Chase stood up and said it's on the players doing their jobs and not the coaches and everyone laughed at him. They've been leaking that Chase might be smoking weed when away from the team and is bad in the locker room. 

Ron said "we'd have taken a lower pick". Suggesting they might bring him back, is ridiculous. 

Did Ron actually say that?  That is a bit weird for a coach to say.  John Keim said they likely would have traded him for a 4th rounder, but the premise is that you might as well get what you can because there is no intention to bring him back.  Back again a lot of that has to do with money and his injury.  And yes I definitely think he aggravated the coaches at times.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrJL said:

I may be totally wrong, but I think the standard for trades are any bonuses get accelerated to the trading team's cap but the team getting the player has to pay their regular salary, unless some sort of deal is worked out. So I think we have basically nine games of rookie contract signing bonus hitting us, but Chicago and San Fran are taking their base salary

We went from $3m in cap space to $10m, per OvertheCap.

12 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Anyone else been playing with draft games with the extra 2 picks? Do it and realize why getting rid of dead weight for 2nd and 3rds makes sense. And even if those picks dont hit. Neither did the players we traded. Gutting the 31st ranked defense in the NFL was the right move. The rebuild has started. EMBRACE IT.

Uh ... yeah ... me. 

I have a problem lol.

I usually wait until at least February to start running the mock drafts. SO much can change with the draft process that it doesn't even make sense to do them until a few weeks out. At this point guys we are drafting in the 3rd and 4th round could easily be 1st rounders (see the OT from Oregon State) but it's a fun exercise nonetheless

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Might have missed this, when we traded Sweat and Young did their remaining contract money for this season go with them ? Or did we eat some of that ?

I was curious too so I looked it up and Spotrac shows Chase cap hit on SF ~$3 mil and Sweat on Bears ~$6.4 mil so you'd think ours would go up $9.4 mil this year.  It aligns with our post trade cap, according to Spotrac that's $16.5 mil.  Prior to the trade it was somewhere in the $7 mil range.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HigSkin said:

I was curious too so I looked it up and Spotrac shows Chase cap hit on SF ~$3 mil and Sweat on Bears ~$6.4 mil so you'd think ours would go up $9.4 mil this year.  It aligns with our post trade cap, according to Spotrac that's $16.5 mil.  Prior to the trade it was somewhere in the $7 mil range.

You would not expect to go up 9.4 million because we signed two new guys to the roster.  Granted they are going to be cheap players, but you expect to go up like 8 million.

This is what Spotrac shows

image.thumb.png.fc569a33ebfd717877f9264b834bf537.png

2 minutes ago, philibusters said:

You would not expect to go up 9.4 million because we signed two new guys to the roster.  Granted they are going to be cheap players, but you expect to go up like 8 million.

Who'd we sign?  I must have missed that unless it was elevating from PS?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

We probably could traded Forbes for Porters jock carrier today. He needs to prove he is worthy before we could ever get anything for him. 

That's why not extending Young made sense and the right move. 

32 minutes ago, philibusters said:

In the total hypothetical realm, assuming the market for Chase Young is not there due to the injury and he could be signed here for say 4 years 60 million dollars this offseason, would you guys do it?

No still too big for me.  Maybe 1 year 12mil with bonuses to prove it.  To risky for me at 15 mil/year. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Haha. 

Hey Pittsburgh, we would like to trade for Porter. 

Ok, what's the offer? 

Danny Johnson's back up.

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, philibusters said:

Young has the 5th highest pass rush win rate in the NFL this season.  I do agree that he is undisciplined (both as a pass rusher and run defender), but I feel like fans perspective has veered way off course since he was traded.  He was playing reasonably well this year.

Sure we are laying it on thick. Some of us maybe veered off course years ago when he started grossly under performing to fans high expectations after being taken 2nd overall. I was kind of surprised he got rookie of the year to be honest, which further inflated fans expectations. I question the validity of win rate since as a full time player is not even top 20 in sacks. That reeks of him being inefficient. Rushing from the blind side he takes the lead in creating turnovers which is something the coaches stressed... and that didn't happen.  Fact is he was a key cog on what is on pace to be the worst defense in team history (points and yards).

https://deadspin.com/2023-nfl-sacks-leaders-1850875599

• Like 1