Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

Russini just now on the Junkies.

Owners pushing a future oriented approach behind the scenes but she goes that push was done in a healthy way, they weren’t micromanaging this Dan’s style. But they are pushing a build for the future go get draft picks direction 

They planned to trade one edge but two were on the table but the compensation was too good for them to pass up on, I assumed she was implying about Sweat 

She gets the vibe they will be aggressive in FA next year 

Her talking to other personnel people in the league they seem high on Howell based on what they’ve seen so far and they think Washington will ride with him 

She gets the same vibe about Howell from Washington.  Positive on Howell 

One GM from another team thinks SF overpaid for Chase because of his knee and he’s a rental 

SF though thinks they did well even for a rental because they have a ton of picks 

She doesn’t think they fire Ron mid season 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think oddly losing the edge rushers might bring more innovation out of Del Rio.  Will see.  I doubt they go as vanilla without Sweat and Chase.

I'd say the story of Ron's era has been colored heavily by building a dominant D line and let them dominate games.  A D coordinator's wet dream is to not blitz that often and keep 7 in coverage.  In theory this defense seems built on that yet it doesn't deliver on that front.

Now they got no choice but to do it.  I think Del Rio is vanilla but also I don't think he's stupid.  if you recall we had a period when Chase and Sweat were both out and the defense seemed to play better -- and if I recall they blitzed more in that context.

When its leaked from this coaching staff that it might be an addition by subtraction as to Chase -- I don't get the sense listening to Keim last night that its just sarcasm.  I think they believe it.  Will see.

I don't absolve Ron from the D failure.  He's the one who drafted Chase #2 not Del Rio.    Now they are leaking about how Chase was the problem, etc. It was arguably their most important pick in this regime.  How many times do we pick that high?    Rivera is a defensive minded head coach.  If the scheme sucks its more on Ron IMO than Del Rio.  He hired Del Rio and if the scheme is lacking its on Ron to fix it.  

I made the comment yesterday that with both DE's gone, we may see the replacements much better in playing contain. If so, it may open JDR (and Ron if yesterday woke him at all) to more of a blitz scheme. It seemed their mindset has been, we had 4 1st rounders on the DL so why blitz. Also will in general, allow or require more scheming which could turn into a big positive

With Russini saying she gets the vibe they wanted to be aggressive in FA and Keim saying a few days ago about then being aggressive in the off season implying to give some hope for fans in the off season.

I like hearing all of that. I know for some aggressive means dumb. Vinny Cerraro. But aggressive clearly can mean smart. Howie Roseman.

Dumb is dumb and smart is smart. It has nothing to do with being conservative trumping aggressiveness.   We’ve done it conservative and boring since Bruce took over from Shanny.    There is nothing worse IMO than boring and stupid and building on some theoritical 10 year plan. 

I love the idea of having BOTH an aggressive draft and FA season. 

The off season should be fun and productive for a change 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know this is sarcasm from you.  But we've made the 2nd round of the playoffs as the high water mark once I belive in the last 30 years or so let alone 5 out of the last 6 years for the 76ers.

I know its easier in basketball.  But that type of run would feel like nirvana as Galdi among others likes to joke about.  

He doesn't just run the 76ers but also runs the Devils.

Regardless, I don't put much of winning or losing on an owner.  I put on them these three things.

A.  Are they willing to spend?  Not just on players but everything -- equipment, facilities anything to give an edge.  Harris famous for all of that.  Dan was the worst.

B.  Are they willing to build a big time FO.  Spend on scouting.  Hire top guys and get out of their way.  Harris is famous for that, too.  You might not always like the hires but the intention is there.  Dan could give a rats ass about GM pedigree.  He wanted that dude to be his bud or Dan would make the moves himself.

C.  Are they willing to tear down and lose battles to win the war.  I know you don't like this part.  but I do.    Dan hated doing this and would never do it.  I recall that statisitican who studied this in the NFL about the power of adding draft capital and taking a step down to take bigger steps later.  He said Dan seemed taken in the moment by the data then proceeded to do the opposite because he was about winning "now".  I posted that article previously here.

If they do all this, the rest is up to the football Gods.  With Dan we had no shot.  With Harris we have a shot.  

Harris isn't calling the plays.  He's not going to get every hire right.  But I like him because his philisophy jives with mine.  Part of the reason why I don't care how much he panders or not to Ron is not just because he didn't hire Ron.  But also because Ron is like the opposite of Harris' takes in so many ways that I can gather he'd cringe at the notion of pandering to Ron.  But still in spite of that, yesterday the more I absorb various narratives the Chase Young trade was a nod to Ron. 

^^exactly this. Putting the entire W/L results on the owner is silly. All the owner can do is spend money and hire the best possible people and let them do their jobs. Beyond that, its out of their control and comes down to the guys actually out there performing in the games.

I trust that Harris will do things the right way. Does that guarantee anything? Of course not. But it gives us a better chance than we've had in the last 30 years for sustained success.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

So here's the question for you: would you rather have a 29 year old Terry McLaurin or a 25/26 year old Tee Higgins next year in year 1 of the new regime as WR1 with a 24 year old Sam Howell & 24 year old Jahan Dotson? 

Give me 29 year old Terry any day of the week. They are not on the same level first. Maybe do the deal for Dotson.? Maybe not? Terry is a leader by action, produces and earns his money every week, he does not need the spot light. Does not complain about having a new QB ever year, he is a player you hope they turn it around for. McLarin is a piece of the puzzle and it would be a Bonehead trade.  That's my opinion.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With Russini saying she gets the vibe they wanted to be aggressive in FA and Keim saying a few days ago about then being aggressive in the off season implying to give some hope for fans in the off season.

I like hearing all of that. I know for some aggressive means dumb. Vinny Cerraro. But aggressive clearly can mean smart. Howie Roseman.

Dumb is dumb and smart is smart. It has nothing to do with being conservative trumping aggressiveness.   We’ve done it conservative and boring since Bruce took over from Shanny.    There is nothing worse IMO than boring and stupid and building on some theoritical 10 year plan. 

I love the idea of having BOTH an aggressive draft and FA season. 

The off season should be fun and productive for a change 

FA is a tricky thing. I have no problem paying big money for legitimately elite players, but the thing is those type of players typically don't hit FA. In FA you're often overpaying for guys who might be pretty good, but then again you have no idea. For every London Fletcher there is a Jeremiah Trotter. For every Shawn Springs there is a William Jackson. And so on. Its often just as much a crapshoot as the draft except way more expensive.

I do expect us to spend some money, because there are major holes you have to fill and there are rules about spending up to a cap floor. I just hope whoever the new GM is does it smart. More Brandon Beane and Howie Roseman and less Vinny Cerrato.

Just now, skinsfan66 said:

Give me 29 year old Terry any day of the week. They are not on the same level first. Maybe do the deal for Dotson.? Maybe not? Terry is a leader by action, produces and earns his money every week, he does not need the spot light. Does not complain about having a new QB ever year, he is a player you hope they turn it around for. McLarin is a piece of the puzzle and it would be a Bonehead trade.  That's my opinion.

I have no idea why we suddenly wanna just dump Terry. Yeah he had a couple bad drops(on what were bad passes)but the dude is a very good WR. On a scale of 1-5 with 5 being guys like Hill and Jefferson, Terry is definitely at least a 4. You don't just give guys like that away. If you trade Terry who the heck is Howell supposed to rely on consistently?

And Terry doesn't turn 29 until the start of next season. 29 isn't some super old age, and the way Terry plays his game will probably age very gracefully. Instead of trying to get rid of him I'd keep looking for more weapons to supplement him. Dotson was a start, but if we suck enough to draft a Marvin Harrison jr. or Keon Coleman I'd definitely consider it.

Keim’s podcast

A. He said the same Sheehan said yesterday which is they weren’t going to sign Chase back in FA

B. They were going to move Chase no matter what they’d have taken less yesterday if the offer was lower 

C.  Keim thought the compensation for both players were good based on what he heard the market was 

D. He seemed to imply there were offers for other players that Ron didn’t like so Harris listened to that and didn’t do it 

E. Major implications about Chase’s knee and longevity 

F. Suggested from an analytics standpoint over investing in the D line doesn’t make sense and it gives them the flexibility to build the rest of the roster especially the O line 

G. To justify overspending on the D line they’d have needed to play to a really high level this season abs it didn’t happen 

H. Referenced the defense played better for a spell two seasons ago with both edge rushers out the defense was more creative and relied less on the front 4 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, philibusters said:

Erza Cleveland was traded from Minnesota to Jacksonville for a sixth round pick.    Don't know if Jacksonville intends to extend him, but if not he seems like a slightly better version of Shaddiq Charles.  Athletic guard, who lacks physicality.   Pff has consistently graded him decent, averaging out in the high 60's (Charles has a 59 grade this season).    Could be a low key signing to watch in free agency.

Low key signing? We need to rebuild the line through the draft or a high-level player at FA or both. No more position flex crap. We need a big upgrade, LT/RT, C, LG. TE/Big WR, All purpose Back. We need a way better version of Charles is my opinion.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's hard to miss that Ron really really really behind the scenes had issues with Chase and they don't regret yesterdays trade.  Feels like the Sweat trade, they do but not Chase.

Sheehan saying yesterday (Sheehan is actually a big Chase guy) that he gets the vibe that if its this regime even if they don't trade Chase, they'd let him go in FA.  They were clearly done with him.

And look for me personally, I am in that Chase camp, too.  I am more positive on him still.  I think he will ball in SF.   I am no Chase hater.  I like him. Yet, I still am cool with the trade for the reasons you mentioned.

Heck a plugged in national reporter said that Chase planned to play the tag game and then hit FA ala Scherff, Kirk.  I am sick of that.  Got something for players especially those who want to leave.

The pick we got from the Bears is the highest we got in a trade in 27 years.  That's insane.  the third rounder ties for the best in that era.,  It's the first time ever for this organization in th modern draft era to have that many high picks.

How did the Lions and Eagles who were worst than us during the Ron "rebuild" era build so fast?  They accumulated picks.   And were aggressive.  How did Miami seemingly get off the mediocre treadmill?  Same thing.

How about us go for that ride for a change?

How do we have five picks in the top  60, Grant Paulsen?

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

H. Referenced the defense played better for a spell two seasons ago with both edge rushers out the defense was more creative and relied less on the front 4 

Which says more about coaching than the personnel.

Done more from Keim 

They were offered a 6th for Brissett and they turned it down 

He believes Harris would hire the GM first and have the GM hire the coach 

he thinks the franchise is in good hands. Josh very methodical not emotional like Dan. He’s impressed based on what he’s heard so far. Keim has said that multiple times 

Coaches are frustrated that the D line aren’t assignment sound and freelance too much, Chase is the biggest culprit of that but it’s not just him 

They’d unlikely get a comp pick because they likely spend in FA

The offer for Chase from SF was by far their best offer we’d be surprised if we heard how low the other offers were 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, redskinss said:

How does this 5 picks in the top 60 typo keep popping up?

I've seen it 3 times now, you'd think someone would eventually catch it.

11 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I don't post here much at all any longer.

But the fact that half of this thread is people failing to understand the difference between 5 and 3 reminds me why I will always love this place.

You dum dums remain the absolute best.

I assume this is about the one tweet that had the mistake and wasn't repeated by anyone? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Coaches are frustrated that the D line aren’t assignment sound and freelance too much, Chase is the biggest culprit of that but it’s not just him 

If only as, you know, coaches, there was something they could do about that. Clearly though holding players accountable for playing assignments is way out of their control. So hard to blame them for this …🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

If only as, you know, coaches, there was something they could do about that. Clearly though holding players accountable for playing assignments is way out of their control. So hard to blame them for this …🤦‍♂️

They’ve only had 3.5 years to do it though. We are on the 10 year Ron rebuild. We are just getting started 

• Haha 5

52 minutes ago, redskinss said:

How does this 5 picks in the top 60 typo keep popping up?

I've seen it 3 times now, you'd think someone would eventually catch it.

It’s about the sentiment. I think people get it 5 picks in the top 3 rounds. So they got wrong the specific computation for how that adds up. If that bothers people sorry but it was about the point that was being made 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I assume this is about the one tweet that had the mistake and wasn't repeated by anyone? 

I may have seen the same reference 3 times and not realized it was all from the same tweet.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 1