Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

25 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Chicago’s first would be great for Young. 

It’s not going to happen…. But it would be great.

It would be awesome.  Listening to Standig-Keim among others a 2nd is best case sceanrio, more likely a 3rd rounder and change.  Based on what I've heard so far, I'd be thrilled with a 2nd because that cerainly feels like best case scenario.  Haven't heard any local or national insider mention a first.  Most saying a third with some saying maybe a 2nd.

22 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

If Young goes to Pittsburg for a 3rd, we will forever look like the biggest dip****s in the league

Schefter is reporting that we only have received offers for Sweat so far. If we can get a 2nd (especially if it’s from a team like the Bears) then that’s ideal imo. Then we can make the decision on Young later, with better people in the building 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am a big Chase guy and think he's better than Montez.  But if one of the stories is true -- which is basically by this team extending this to FA where they have to play the tag multiple years and then letting him hit FA and he doesn't have an interest in a long term contract than he is on the table for me to trade.   I wouldn't move him for less than a 2nd though.  I've not heard anyone said we have a fighting chance for a 1st for either player.  A thrid rounder is waht I mostly hear but some say they have a shot at a 2nd.

Some like to see that move, tag-tag then FA as a Kirk move.  But Scherff and some others have played that same game.  One national reporter mentioned that's the game they heard that Chase wants to play.  So that means we got Chase for 2 more seasons at the tag price and then that's it.

That's the problem when this FO decides to play out their hand to that extent.  Once you let it to go to a FA year, agents at premium money positions will recommend some of their players to just play it out like Kirk did.  If so let the Bears or whomever have that headache.

For those who say let the next regime figure this out.  I suspect their new anayltics guy is already telling Harris this is the way to play it.  Montez and Chase probably end up somewhere near 25 million a year.    Are you going to spend 100 million for the D line when their defense is ranked 29th?

I've vacillated on whether to pay 4 guys or not, I've mostly been against the idea.  Now i am hardcore against the idea.  Not the I need to hear it from Cooley but he said it well for me recently, you'd think with the pedigree of these D lineman that they'd be scary for example on third and long -- but they are not.  It's not a scary-dominating unit.  They are good players and they can have big games from time to time especially against bad teams.  But I think its nuts to have your cap be dedicated in an over the top way to a unit that is good to very good but isn't great.  

The team has dug themselves into another debacle of player assets. They have done a poor job of handling most of the pending star FA's other than Allen, Payne and Terry. 

They should have extended Sweat before the start of the season, leaving Chase as a wait and see what he does. They could have done this as the new ownership did take over before the season began if not working on it sooner.

I say that because his trade value at the time was squat. He has now proven that he is healthy so he should be their only decision...resign, tag or trade. To only get a 3rd for him is weak sauce. If that occurs, while I'd wish Chase well, I would hate to see him healthy and a defensive animal for the next decade. That feeling goes hand in hand with seeing Trent still kicking arse in San Fran

11 minutes ago, Conn said:

Schefter is reporting that we only have received offers for Sweat so far. If we can get a 2nd (especially if it’s from a team like the Bears) then that’s ideal imo. Then we can make the decision on Young later, with better people in the building 

I don't think Sweat commands the kind of money Chase will, but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

The Bears 2nd would be great. That's an awesome draft position and provides us a ton of ammo to move around the draft if need be.

I would not trade Chase for a 2nd. I think he has the potential to be the next Courtney Brown. He's only 24 and needs to grow up, sure, but it's there.

If we trade both, might as well let everyone walk for anything we can get.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't think Sweat commands the kind of money Chase will, but that's neither here nor there I suppose.

The Bears 2nd would be great. That's an awesome draft position and provides us a ton of ammo to move around the draft if need be.

I would not trade Chase for a 2nd. I think he has the potential to be the next Courtney Brown. He's only 24 and needs to grow up, sure, but it's there.

If we trade both, might as well let everyone walk for anything we can get.

I think part of the soup isn’t just the quality of the player but the culture change. Now, that can read like I think Young is a locker room issue… but I don’t.

When you are trying to change the culture there is a need to remove some of the more prominent people. Not because they’re not good players, or bad people, or even that the team doesn’t want them…

But because getting fresh blood in key roles is extremely important.

However, it’s ALSO important to keep some semblance of continuity on the roster. There has to be a few prominent figures that know what it was like when it was bad and are going to do their absolute best to not go back in that direction.

The question is who is who and why.

My thought is this: Young or Sweat are both expiring. That plays into this. 

Allen, Payne and Terry can be the continuity guys. 

What does that mean for Chase or Sweat? I don’t know. I’d have to be there to make a call either way. But I can see a world where they are important for continuity and/or moving for fresh blood. 

Chase is twice the player Bradley Chubb is.  Anything less than the compensation Denver got for Chubb is abject failure and we will be roasting the value of that trade for years the same way we do with that awful Trent trade.

If Chase Claypool can get a high second at the deadline last year, then Montez needs to bring back a second.  You guys need to stop buying into these bull**** low-ball reports about the value of our players.  I would rather these dudes play out their deals and walk then take ten cents on the dollar for them just to make sure the league knows they can't take advantage of us any more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Schefter’s info is dated

29 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Chase is twice the player Bradley Chubb is.  Anything less than the compensation Denver got for Chubb is abject failure and we will be roasting the value of that trade for years the same way we do with that awful Trent trade.

If Chase Claypool can get a high second at the deadline last year, then Montez needs to bring back a second.  You guys need to stop buying into these bull**** low-ball reports about the value of our players.  I would rather these dudes play out their deals and walk then take ten cents on the dollar for them just to make sure the league knows they can't take advantage of us any more.

Teams know they have us by the balls due to Young and Sweat expiring at the same time. The Broncos didn’t have that issue. A 2nd and a 4th from the Bears for Young would be a solid haul

Regardless of the reports out there - the fact remains that we have checkers players running our FO while most of the rest of the league is playing 4-D chess. I have very little confidence this FO that couldn't figure out how to maneuver in the draft can either execute trades before the deadline or, if they do, get value commensurate to the worth of our DEs should they try and deal them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, method man said:

Teams know they have us by the balls due to Young and Sweat expiring at the same time. The Broncos didn’t have that issue. A 2nd and a 4th from the Bears for Young would be a solid haul

cause no team signs two major FA the same year

I think we could get at least a 2nd for one of them. I was reading last night they think the team that may have offered for Sweat is Baltimore. 

We had team practice with them this summer would make sense. I think if they wait till the deadline the will get a couple of offers. I would trade one keep one.

57 minutes ago, method man said:

Yep, the timing and context of trades, matter a LOT.  We always wait until the leverage is shot.  The best time to trade Sweat was last year not now. 

As for Chase, if its true he has no interest in signing a LTC with whomever would trade for him -- makes it apples to oranges to Chubb if so

I don't think teams secretly desperately want either player but won't give the best offer and will lose that player accordingly.  Trade value often happens organically.  But context is everything.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Going Commando said:

I would rather these dudes play out their deals and walk then take ten cents on the dollar for them just to make sure the league knows they can't take advantage of us any more.

Yeah because that’ll show the league how astute we are won’t it.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep, the timing and context of trades, matter a LOT.  We always wait until the leverage is shot.  The best time to trade Sweat was last year not now. 

As for Chase, if its true he has no interest in signing a LTC with whomever would trade for him -- makes it apples to oranges to Chubb if so

I don't think teams secretly desperately want either player but won't give the best offer and will lose that player accordingly.  Trade value often happens organically.  But context is everything.

Yeah this is way closer to day trading than buying a CD. 

And we absolutely always have waited until we have nothing. Kirk rings so hard there. Same with Trent.  

What I wouldn't give.

14 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Why would we trade Sweat for a third?

Wouldn't we get a third round compensation pick anyway for letting him walk? 

Possibly, a year later, and if we sign nobody else’s FA’s with like $90M in cap space upcoming. 

So it feels highly unlikely. 

• Thumb up 1