Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree with Russell even if they somehow upset the Eagles this team is on the hamster wheel of mediocrity 

Unfortunately, as many on this site have pointed out, the folks currently in charge of making the decision to trade/keep players are disincentivized to cut bait on the season early. I fear they will drag this out as long as possible in an attempt to keep their jobs even though there is a very slim chance of that happening. That will take us past the trade deadline and will mean a lot of players walk rather than us getting draft picks to rebuild with under a new GM.

• Like 2

To telegraph to the league that trading Sweat/Young is dependent on the results the next game sure doesn't help the strength of your position in any trade negotiations. Some team is going to get a deal.

mel gibson poker GIF

:229:The Rook

Edited by The Rook
  • Haha 3

I feel like we're not talking a win necessarily.  More like if it's like the last game vs the Eagles or if it's like the Bills and Bears game

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Flawed you bet. Ron is running the same script as Bruce Allen where 9-8 is our new version of the SB. Yawn and yuck. 

leaking?  What, that from the official Commander's news report? If you want the Commanders to not give you news don't ask the questions

and you have to compare the asset leaving to the one being gained

7 minutes ago, The Rook said:

To telegraph to the league that trading Sweat/Young is dependent on the results the next game sure doesn't help the strength of your position in any trade negotiations. Some team is going to get a deal.

really?  Willing to cut a deal doesn't mean desperate to cut a deal

2 minutes ago, MrJL said:

really?  Willing to cut a deal doesn't mean desperate to cut a deal

I didn't say they were desperate to deal.  I said they are using bad practices IF they are dealing.

I am just going by on this FO's past history of doing trades when they let it known that they are "willing" to trade someone (Trent Williams) or need someone (QB Weintz), for example.  Do you think they are NOT going to get taken in any trade scenario?

• Like 1

Bears have been interested in Chase since off season. Would love to get a 2nd or third and 1st rd pick swap with them highest of there's and texans pick. 

I suspect the sweat trade is done if we lose tommrow. They should probably keep one of them.

Edited by Redskins 2021

It sort of feels like to me the current coaching regime knows how they finish this season is likely going to determine whether they are here or not next season and are not keen on trading away players that hurt their chances to squeeze out any hope of a successful season right now because the future the organization be making those trades for will not likely include the current coaching staff.  So to me, even though Ron is "GM" at this point I wouldn't hesitate that any trades could be possibly going over his head.

Edited by NoCalMike

27 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

It sort of feels like to me the current coaching regime knows how they finish this season is likely going to determine whether they are here or not next season and are not keen on trading away players that hurt their chances to squeeze out any hope of a successful season right now because the future the organization be making those trades for will not likely include the current coaching staff.  So to me, even though Ron is "GM" at this point I wouldn't hesitate that any trades could be possibly going over his head.

on the other hand if the team isn't playing well, why hang onto players not playing well?

11 minutes ago, MrJL said:

on the other hand if the team isn't playing well, why hang onto players not playing well?

My Guess is that 3-5 is not a bad enough record for Ron to think a turn around is out of the question.  Ron team's have tended to be streaky and I think his belief (not mine, mind you) is that he feels he has a better argument to stay employed at the end of the season with the best record possible the team could achieve now where as the front office might be more wanting to start formulating a plan for the next 2-3 seasons as soon as possible.

Edited by NoCalMike

No team in the league will give up anything higher than a 3rd and maybe toss in a JAG player or late pick for Chase right now. We have zero leverage and he’s a super high risk/reward guy for anyone that signs him long term. 

Tez could potentially fetch a 2nd from a contender (that will look more like an early 3rd) looking for that extra ‘push’ into the playoffs but that also seems kinda far-fetched. 

I personally think all this leaked stuff in the last few hours feels alllll too familiar. No one in our front office has a relationship with anyone else in any other building, so they pathetically dribble out “rumors” last minute as a way of communicating with the rest of the league (and fans) like “heyyy I’m still here- please notice me!”

We all know the trade window will close, nothing will happen- Chase will walk and have 22 sacks next season for the Lions, Curtis Samuel will have 1900 yards for Dolphins, and Barton well… Barton will be a a fairly decent special teams gunner somewhere

• Haha 2

I am a big Chase guy and think he's better than Montez.  But if one of the stories is true -- which is basically by this team extending this to FA where they have to play the tag multiple years and then letting him hit FA and he doesn't have an interest in a long term contract than he is on the table for me to trade.   I wouldn't move him for less than a 2nd though.  I've not heard anyone said we have a fighting chance for a 1st for either player.  A thrid rounder is waht I mostly hear but some say they have a shot at a 2nd.

Some like to see that move, tag-tag then FA as a Kirk move.  But Scherff and some others have played that same game.  One national reporter mentioned that's the game they heard that Chase wants to play.  So that means we got Chase for 2 more seasons at the tag price and then that's it.

That's the problem when this FO decides to play out their hand to that extent.  Once you let it to go to a FA year, agents at premium money positions will recommend some of their players to just play it out like Kirk did.  If so let the Bears or whomever have that headache.

For those who say let the next regime figure this out.  I suspect their new anayltics guy is already telling Harris this is the way to play it.  Montez and Chase probably end up somewhere near 25 million a year.    Are you going to spend 100 million for the D line when their defense is ranked 29th?

I've vacillated on whether to pay 4 guys or not, I've mostly been against the idea.  Now i am hardcore against the idea.  Not the I need to hear it from Cooley but he said it well for me recently, you'd think with the pedigree of these D lineman that they'd be scary for example on third and long -- but they are not.  It's not a scary-dominating unit.  They are good players and they can have big games from time to time especially against bad teams.  But I think its nuts to have your cap be dedicated in an over the top way to a unit that is good to very good but isn't great.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

A 2024 third rounder plus some extra later round picks would be the starting point for Sweat. When he walks via free agency, we likely get a 2025 3rd round comp pick. Not the same thing but someone will give it up.

Hopefully we hang on to Young.  He is finally on the field and playing as advertised when he was drafted, Getting him inked on a long-term deal should be the first priority of our new administration.

Just imagine coming in as the new DC in 2024 and both of these guys are killing it elsewhere. 

Not unlike the fan experience where we see everyone from the Shanahan experience having success league wide.

In years past it would be a given that they would F this up royally, and get pantsed by the 9ers or Iggles. Today maybe not so much 

9 minutes ago, TheBlueIndian said:

A 2024 third rounder plus some extra later round picks would be the starting point for Sweat. When he walks via free agency, we likely get a 2025 3rd round comp pick. Not the same thing but someone will give it up.

Hopefully we hang on to Young.  He is finally on the field and playing as advertised when he was drafted, Getting him inked on a long-term deal should be the first priority of our new administration.

Just imagine coming in as the new DC in 2024 and both of these guys are killing it elsewhere. 

Not unlike the fan experience where we see everyone from the Shanahan experience having success league wide.

In years past it would be a given that they would F this up royally, and get pantsed by the 9ers or Iggles. Today maybe not so much 

My gut and ditto those who cover the team think its 50-50 at best that they get the 2025 late 3rd comp pick.    Too much money to spend in FA.  Only way they don't lose the pick is they don't sign a signle marquee player which is doubtful.  The value of a 2025 late 3rd is basically an early 5th rounder -- its not enough to stop a new GM in all likelihood to sign a big player.

It should be interesting to see what happens in 2024 but I don't think this roster is that hard to fix, espeically if they got extra picks to do it.  What frustrated me about Ron this off season is he did nothing to plug in their remanining holes.  I doubt the next GM will make that same mistake.  

Don't know if its true. Forbes' takes are hit and miss at best.  But being motivated by money isn't necessarily bad if its channeled the right way.  Chase's comments 2 off seasons ago when he was skipping minicamp that he was making money in California, doesn't help.  Ditto if he's unwilling to do a LTC right now if true.  But haviing said that even if money is his prime motivation maybe 2 years where he's playing for that bag is a good thing?  Motivated player.

Edited by Skinsinparadise