Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

My philosophy now is that unless your QB is a legit star, you're better off trading them and stacking a team around a talented young guy on a rookie contract to give yourself a legit 3-5 year window.

So Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Hurts, and Lawrence(not eligible yet for mega extension). If you don't have one of those guys, and your QB isn't on a rookie contract or otherwise super cheap, you're effed. 

The NFL player and players association will do everything they can to get the league to operate financially like the NBA. No way saying it’s right or wrong, but personally I will begin to checkout as a fan if NFL players gain similar power as NBA guys. 

Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen made huge concessions on their contracts assisting to maintain the status quo a bit— team building and QB working with the organization. 

Fascinated to see what the next young crop of obvious max level guys do: Burrow, Herbert, and Hurts. Will they go the Mahomes and Allen route or Lamar Jackson. Fun stuff! Put me on the side of the elite QB signing long term looking to get consistent at bats with having a strong roster. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, wit33 said:

The NFL player and players association will do everything they can to get the league to operate financially like the NBA. No way saying it’s right or wrong, but personally I will begin to checkout as a fan if NFL players gain similar power as NBA guys. 

Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen made huge concessions on their contracts assisting to maintain the status quo a bit— team building and QB working with the organization. 

Fascinated to see what the next young crop of obvious max level guys do: Burrow, Herbert, and Hurts. Will they go the Mahomes and Allen route or Lamar Jackson. Fun stuff! Put me on the side of the elite QB signing long term looking to get consistent at bats with having a strong roster. 

Burrow will probably do something similar to Mahomes and Allen in signing a big long term contract that pays a lot of money but is actually pretty team friendly. Could see Hurts doing something similar. Unsure about Herbert. The Chargers might just eff that up.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 3/23/2023 at 7:52 PM, kingdaddy said:

3 pts for home field advantage?

that was funny.  I laughed.  

On 3/24/2023 at 2:47 AM, Est.1974 said:

We are already on the hook for 4.8mil in 2024 dead cap on his contract because it includes 2 voidable years, 2024 and 2025. Don’t think I’d be converting any more salary and pushing money out on top of that. There may be less expensive options to Samuel in the future, especially as a #3 WR.

I would definitely convert some Jon Allen money. Slight raise in contract value. Free that 9mil do so up. He’s nailed on to be around for several years.

I could see them extending him for 2 years and pushing the whole mess out a couple of years, including pushing out the voidable years.  

On 3/24/2023 at 1:21 PM, FrFan said:

The 3 that earned their money on that list are Brady (Wins SB), Stafford (wins SB) and Rodgers (NFL MVP in 2022).

Wilson had (if memory serves) a pretty good 2020, a bad 2021 and horrendous 2022. But that’s stealing money.  

Kirk has been overpaid since 2018. 

Dak is good.  He’s not that good.

The biggest offenders on the list are Wentz, Kirk, Watson and Goff.

23 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

My philosophy now is that unless your QB is a legit star, you're better off trading them and stacking a team around a talented young guy on a rookie contract to give yourself a legit 3-5 year window.

So Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Hurts, and Lawrence(not eligible yet for mega extension). If you don't have one of those guys, and your QB isn't on a rookie contract or otherwise super cheap, you're 

I think you’re going to have to put Hurts  on that list.  And the Eagles are going to be forced to pay him this off season.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Thumb up 1

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

could see them extending him for 2 years and pushing the whole mess out a couple of years, including pushing out the voidable years.  

Samuel is borderline for me. Will be interesting to see if EB can get the best out of him. I could actually see them drafting a player of similar skill set. 

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Samuel is borderline for me. Will be interesting to see if EB can get the best out of him. I could actually see them drafting a player of similar skill set. 

He was good last year. He was healthy.  And he had bad QB play. And bad play calling.

If both of those things get better he could be the monster breakout skill guy.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, primetime441 said:

I was holding out hope he'd come here... Oh, well. 

He would never come here.  He was always looking for a contender to sign with AND stay on the West Coast.  LB’s with a lengthy resume probably wouldn’t consider DC, unless we were offering so much more than the next team.  We have an awful reputation, and a shaky salary cap at the moment, so no top tier players would touch this team with a 10 foot pole.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, samy316 said:

He would never come here.  He was always looking for a contender to sign with AND stay on the West Coast.  LB’s with a lengthy resume probably wouldn’t consider DC, unless we were offering so much more than the next team.  We have an awful reputation, and a shaky salary cap at the moment, so no top tier players would touch this team with a 10 foot pole.

Extra $500k would’ve done the trick if Washington wanted him. An extra investment property for him. Or pay some HOA fees with it. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, wit33 said:

Have been beating that drum since I have posted more and for that reason.  Stop paying the castoff QB's from other teams and draft your own. Stop blowing the cap and rebuilding. Baltimore gets it, Cleveland ,New Orleans others do not. Amazing the front office got it this year.  

4 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Have been beating that drum since I have posted more and for that reason.  Stop paying the castoff QB's from other teams and draft your own. Stop blowing the cap and rebuilding. Baltimore gets it, Cleveland ,New Orleans others do not. Amazing the front office got it this year.  

I would like to point out the SB was won 2 of the last 3 years by QBs brought in from other teams:

Stafford with the Rams

Brady with the Bucs

The other is Mahomes with the Chiefs.  

I really hate absolutes.  The Rams needed a better QB than Goff and had a REALLY talented team.  They got Stafford, and they won the SB.  

Brady is somewhat of a unique situation, but he came in, got a pretty big contract, and they won the SB in his first year. But Brady was let go by NE because he didn't look quite as GOAT-ish as he had in the past.  And then he looked GOAT-ish again for the Bucs.  

For the right team and the right guy, it makes a ton of sense.  The key is, you've got to know the team and the guy are right.  And THAT is a tough needle to thread.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I would like to point out the SB was won 2 of the last 3 years by QBs brought in from other teams:

Stafford with the Rams

Brady with the Bucs

I really hate absolutes.  The Rams needed a better QB than Goff and had a REALLY talented team.  They got Stafford, and they won the SB.  

Brady is somewhat of a unique situation, but he came in, got a pretty big contract, and they won the SB in his first year. But Brady was let go by NE because he didn't look quite as GOAT-ish as he had in the past.  And then he looked GOAT-ish again for the Bucs.  

For the right team and the right guy, it makes a ton of sense.  The key is, you've got to know the team and the guy are right.  And THAT is a tough needle to thread.  

I would pay a real good QB like Stafford, Brady, Rogers. If I was a QB away Like LA ,Tampa, they would have got busted up here though, no OL. I am not paying Carr, Wentz, Kirk, if its going to bust the Cap, and only after the rebuild.  Build the Oline first , get the LB, CB, TE Keep Payne and the players who produce. Just a different approach from the past, maybe you get lucky in the draft, Howell? 

So are there any more free agent LB'ers left worth looking at or discussing? 

Or at this point does the  position have to be addressed in the draft? 

Then again, there's always the waiver-wire, but that's not usually the most effective way to bring in talent, especially if that vet may be needed to step into certain special LB sets (third down groupings, short yardage groupings, etc.)

I still think the current LB group needed a veteran in the mix, and ideally one who'd had a time to get familiar with the scheme and its demands,as well as working with Barton and Davis

Or maybe RR & Co. are planning for Eifler to be the solution?  🙄

Edited by Wyvern

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Stafford with the Rams

Brady with the Bucs

Stafford and Brady played on extreme cap friendly deals for those teams. I believe their cap hits were right around 5-7% when winning the SB. Yes, you do this all day if you can. 

Edited by wit33

25 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Stafford and Brady played on extreme cap friendly deals for those teams. I believe their cap hits were right around 5-7% when winning the SB. Yes, you do this all day if you can. 

I don’t remember that.  Brady is a top 10 salary over the last 3 years. His first deal was a 2 year deal but it was for $20m+ per year if I’m not mistaken.    Stafford was a trade, but he was very well paid even after the trade.  They also gave up a haul to get him as well

2 hours ago, Wyvern said:

So are there any more free agent LB'ers left worth looking at or discussing? 

Or at this point does the  position have to be addressed in the draft? 

Then again, there's always the waiver-wire, but that's not usually the most effective way to bring in talent, especially if that vet may be needed to step into certain special LB sets (third down groupings, short yardage groupings, etc.)

I still think the current LB group needed a veteran in the mix, and ideally one who'd had a time to get familiar with the scheme and its demands,as well as working with Barton and Davis

Or maybe RR & Co. are planning for Eifler to be the solution?  🙄

Guys remaining are as follows. The guys I'd consider are in bold. Kwon is the best of the bunch and put up a league average year with the Jets

Myles Jack

Deion Jones

Rashaan Evans

Kwon Alexander

Damien Wilson

Ben Niemann

Blake Cashman

AJ Klein

Neville Hewitt

Edited by method man
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1