Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

Agriculture appropriations bill in jeopardy amid GOP divisions

Plans to move an appropriations bill funding agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to the House floor were brought to a halt amid internal GOP division over whether to further slash spending and a provision related to abortion.

The House Rules Committee — the last stop before a bill hits the House floor — had started consideration of the bill Wednesday. But as hard-line conservatives continue to negotiate with GOP leaders on spending cut demands, the committee is not expected to return to consider the bill Wednesday evening, according to Rules Committee aides.

The bill was also not listed on Thursday’s schedule, which was released Wednesday night by the office of Majority Leader Steve Scalise (R-La.).

One House Republican told The Hill that they do not expect the bill to come to the floor at all this week as scheduled, punting its consideration until when the House returns in mid-September.

“We’re not bringing the bill up. We’re not gonna be here Friday to vote on the [agriculture appropriations],” said the GOP lawmaker, who requested anonymity to discuss the internal deliberations.

A main point of contention on the measure is a provision that would nullify a Biden administration rule allowing the abortion pill mifepristone to be sold in retail pharmacies and by mail with prescriptions from a certified health care provider.

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb down 1

4 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Language

Who would ever be scared of Kevin McCarthy? Don't know what he think he was doing with that.

I do wonder if either one has taken a punch since elementary school. 

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Thumb up 2

8 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I do wonder if either one has taken a punch since elementary school. 

Even after all these years I haven't tired of landing a solid punch on an elementary school kid. If more people stayed with a regimen like mine as they moved into their "golden years" , todays kids wouldn't be so soft.

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

44 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

Even after all these years I haven't tired of landing a solid punch on an elementary school kid. If more people stayed with a regimen like mine as they moved into their "golden years" , todays kids wouldn't be so soft.

I'm small, so I bob & weave kinda thing. 

I'll take your knees before you can shoot.  (best strategy I can figure on a small scale)

especially at my age...

• Thumb up 1

I am very confused by the news articles on Feinstein's "Just say aye" and vote on getting the defense bill out of committee.  

Hearing Link below.

Vote is at 54 minutes... this is the first vote.  Seems like she wanted to put some comment on the record. 

More concerning is her vote "No" on another matter that she realized she should have voted  "Yes".  After she changed it she chuckled.  This is at 1 hour, 26 minutes, 15 seconds. 

She then put a statement on another bill into the record at 1 min 42 seconds.  Seems like she did this coherently, and maybe she wished to do this for the defense bill. 

https://www.appropriations.senate.gov/hearings/watch?hearingid=908978D5-DEE3-A2E5-57AD-02600CEE4596

Marco Rubio is upset with the Latino exhibit at the Smithsonian... it's a little bit too preachy, woke and Marxist... it claims the US stole 1/3rd of Mexico, Texas revolution was a defense against abolitionist Mexico... and other failures. 

Anyways... I would characterize the "just say aye" incident as a little overreaction from her colleagues... but yeah... she def didn't realize what the procedue was...

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Fergasun said:

Marco Rubio is upset with the Latino exhibit at the Smithsonian... it's a little bit too preachy, woke and Marxist... it claims the US stole 1/3rd of Mexico, Texas revolution was a defense against abolitionist Mexico... and other failures.

Yeah, let’s get the facts straight. It was closer to half of Mexico that we stole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mitch was out for about 20 seconds before anyone realized he was having a medical issue.  And he comes back with "I'm fine...?"  

Do you want to watch the tape of yourself and say you are "fine"?  

I am convinced the overreactive Feinstein headlines were generated to take attention from McConnell...

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Both Feinstein and McConnell need to step down. Being out of it does a disservice to their constituents and the country because they can't perform their duties.

Another thing, Pelosi held the Congress and the Constitution together during J6. If you haven't watched the documentary by her daughter, it's clear she was clearly in charge when TFG was chortling in the Oval, and Pence was running/hiding for his life literally. She was #3 in the government and was on the phone with everyone at times holding it together. 

After Biden was inaugurated, she stepped down from Democratic leadership while the Republicans were chasing their tail to elect a speaker. She fulfilled her Constitutional powers and still sits in Congress. She let the younger ones step forward. 

Pelosi is a great leader.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 4

4 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Both Feinstein and McConnell need to step down. Being out of it does a disservice to their constituents and the country because they can't perform their duties.

Another thing, Pelosi held the Congress and the Constitution together during J6. If you haven't watched the documentary by her daughter, it's clear she was clearly in charge when TFG was chortling in the Oval, and Pence was running/hiding for his life literally. She was #3 in the government and was on the phone with everyone at times holding it together. 

After Biden was inaugurated, she stepped down from Democratic leadership while the Republicans were chasing their tail to elect a speaker. She fulfilled her Constitutional powers and still sits in Congress. She let the younger ones step forward. 

Pelosi is a great leader.

And while most of us (especially women) wanted her to live forever, RBG kinda held us all hostage. 

I know she never thought that an idiot would get "elected", but she could have turned the tide just a bit. 

It's hitting me hard, things I can do and things I can't.  It hurts to admit it, but it's the truth.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

don’t know if it’s still true but at one point it had the highest rate of PhDs per capita in the US. 

it’s all engineers and military. 

Not that I want to actually have an argument over the matter. 

but.

it does make me wonder how much of the block of moving the agency is truly a good idea vs the Biden admin playing politics. 

it stands to reason it would be good for them to be in such an area. Clearly they picked it for a reason before all this happened. 

it’s being blocked because he’s holding up this one thing. Is that truly a good idea? Or harming an agency to play political games?

On 8/2/2023 at 11:33 AM, tshile said:

Not that I want to actually have an argument over the matter. 

but.

it does make me wonder how much of the block of moving the agency is truly a good idea vs the Biden admin playing politics. 

it stands to reason it would be good for them to be in such an area. Clearly they picked it for a reason before all this happened. 

it’s being blocked because he’s holding up this one thing. Is that truly a good idea? Or harming an agency to play political games?

. . 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1