Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

Lauren Boebert Didn’t Tell All About Her Tell-All

When Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-CO) filed her 2022 financial disclosure in May, it was nearly indistinguishable from her 2021 report—and that could be a problem.

That’s because Boebert reported no royalties from the memoir she released last July, My American Life. Congressional guidelines and legal experts said her lack of reported income would violate House ethics rules.

A Boebert spokesperson told The Daily Beast that the Colorado conservative and 2020 election denier did not receive any money from her book deal until January 2023.

“The book royalties will appear in her 2023 disclosure,” the spokesperson told The Daily Beast. “This is consistent with guidance from the House Ethics Committee.”

But that does not actually appear consistent with ethics guidance.

The ethics instruction guide for 2022 congressional financial disclosures makes clear that members must disclose not only royalties they received, but anticipated royalties as well—“any royalties currently due from the publisher for completed sales.”

Click on the link for the full article

‘Aren’t we a little more grown up than that?’: Ex-lawmaker rips Congress for ‘dog ate my homework’ excuses

Members of Congress keep messing up — overandoverandoveragain — in failing to abide by an 11-year-old financial disclosure and conflicts-of-interest law.

And the habitual lack of compliance with the Stop Trading on Congressional Knowledge (STOCK) Act — dozens of lawmakers have violated its disclosure provisions during the past three years, often offering tortured excuses — is eroding the public’s trust, one of the law’s original authors tells Raw Story.

“I mean, come on. ‘The dog ate my homework,’ aren’t we a little more grown up than that?” said former Rep. Brian Baird (D-WA). “If we're capable of voting on whether or not to raise or lower taxes or send people to war, I think we can report when we make an investment.”

This year alone, Raw Story has identified at least 15 members of Congress who have violated the STOCK Act. At least 78 members of Congress violated the STOCK Act's disclosure provisions from 2021 to 2022, according to a tally maintained by Insider.

Click on the link for the full article 

• Thumb down 1