Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Everything 118th Congress Thread

@DCGoldPants

41 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/why-some-democrats-are-calling-for-dianne-feinstein-to-resign/ar-AA19Q89Q

Sounds like she should resign. Best of luck to her in her recovery but if you're not fit for the job sadly you cannot be in congress

Resign ****. Stop holding on to a job, you physically can no longer do. Your constituents would be better served if someone else took over.

Don’t know if you can do this in CA, but what if Gavin appointed himself to the job; if Diane left? That would basically kill the 24 ca senate Dem race. 

57 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

A bunch of them oldsters need to retire. Time for the younger generations to take their place and also replace some Fascists.

Ikr?  I'm not even 60 yet and I'M too old.  :ols: 

Weren't the 60s/70s awesome?  Young folks cared about where we were heading as a society and did something about it.  (I piggyback on their efforts and applaud them.) 

I'm also extremely thankful that TN pulled their BS last week, it only made us liberals stronger.  :headbang:

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Dems aim to flip the script on GOP's crime hearing

House Democrats will try to turn Republicans' anti-crime narrative against them on Monday at a GOP-led hearing in New York City that will focus on local crime — and the prosecution of former President Trump.

Why it matters: After years of being tied to left-wing calls to "defund the police," Democrats spy an opportunity to go on offense by trying to paint Republicans as the true foes of law-and-order.

The same day as the hearing, Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) plans to introduce a resolution condemning former Trump's call to "defund" the Justice Department and the FBI because of their investigations of him.

Driving the news: The House Judiciary Committee, led by Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio), is calling the hearing "Victims of Violent Crime in Manhattan."

Jordan's team said in a statement it will examine how Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg's "pro-crime, anti-victim policies have led to an increase in violent crime and a dangerous community for New York City residents."

It's the latest iteration in a war between the GOP-led panel and Bragg over the latter's prosecution of Trump, which led Bragg to file a lawsuit against Jordan on Wednesday.

In that lawsuit, Bragg rejected the notion that New York is becoming more dangerous, and recounted hundreds of threats his office has received as Trump has attacked him and the judge in Trump's case.

What they're saying: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), a senior Judiciary Committee member, told Axios that Democrats' message on Monday will be twofold: hitting Republicans on their attempts to intervene in Bragg's prosecution of Trump, and hammering GOP inaction on gun control.

Jackson Lee said she expects Democrats to question "the rationale of the hearing [and] the authority of the committee ... to interfere in a local jurisdiction."

"Because we are surrounded by mass shootings, we have to ask whether the resources and time [of the committee] are being used effectively to save lives in America," she said.

Behind the scenes: Democrats' strategies for the hearing were discussed Tuesday in a call with gun-control advocates that was convened by House Minority Leader Hakeem Jeffries’ (D-N.Y.) office, according to members and aides.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thumb up 1

'Lowest of scum': George Santos 'owned' for attack against Dem lawmaker vying to oust him

New York State Rep. Josh Lafazan, a Democrat, is not fond of United States Rep. George Santos (R-NY), and has no problem showing it.

Santos became known for fabricating his resume, and has since become the subject of several Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Department of Justice (DOJ) probes for telling even more lies.

In February, Lafazan, who is also a University of Pennsylvania doctoral student, protested outside the GOP congressman's Washington, D.C. office, demanding his resignation as well as the revocation of his security clearance.

On Saturday, the pair engaged in an intense Twitter exchange after the Democratic lawmaker wrote, "George Santos is going to launch his re-election campaign on Monday. He is a liar, a fraud, and a failure. New York's 3rd Congressional district deserves an honest Congressman willing to put our district first. Resign now @Santos4Congress, and end this national embarrassment."

Lafazan emphasized, "Unlike @Santos4Congress, I didn't have to lie to get elected. My credentials are clean, I'm actually Jewish, & unlike yours, my diploma from Harvard is real," adding, "Donate to my campaign to get this serial liar George Santos out of the house."

The lying lawmaker then mocked his potential future opponent, sharing a picture representative of the physical impact of Lafazan's corrective jaw surgery, writing, "Real like your chin?"

The Democratic state representative immediately clapped bac, saying, "Corrective jaw surgery helped me breathe normally & saved my life. My insurance covered it, & it's why I'm fighting so hard for universal health care You are beneath the office you hold. And I can't wait to replace you in Congress, in 2024 or sooner. Send postcards from jail."

After Lafazan's response, Santos turned his replies off.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

Democrat Rips Republicans On House Judiciary Committee For 'Blatant Antisemitism'

Rep. Dan Goldman (D-N.Y.) on Monday accused Republicans of “blatant antisemitism” for repeatedly invoking George Soros’ name amid their attacks on the Manhattan district attorney leading a criminal probe into former President Donald Trump.

Goldman, one of two Jewish members of Congress from New York, leveled his charge at Republicans after an hours-long House Judiciary Committee hearing in Manhattan.

“With antisemitic violence at record highs, today’s hearing confirmed that invoking George Soros’s name is nothing short of blatant antisemitism,” he tweeted after the hearing. “I call on all Republicans to stop using this antisemitic trope immediately.”

• Thumb up 3

GOP enraged over Marjorie Taylor Greene's committee outburst — and are threatening to boot her: report

Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-GA) blew up a hearing of the House Homeland Security Committee on Wednesday when she called Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas a "liar" and blamed him for fentanyl deaths around the country — an outburst that violates House rules about impugning the character of a witness. The tirade forced Chairman Mark Green, a Republican of Tennessee, to shut down her questioning and bar her from speaking for the rest of the hearing.

According to CNN reporter Melanie Zanona, Republicans behind the scenes are furious with her, and are considering punishments — even including a threat of booting her off the committee for future disruptions.

"GOP tensions flaring over MTG's committee hearing outburst today," tweeted Zanona. "Source close to Chairman Mark Green said he was furious w/ MTG's behavior and planned to privately reprimand her, and also said he'd encourage McCarthy to remove her from the committee if she did that again. But MTG doubled down on her rhetoric, accusing her GOP colleagues of 'doing the bidding' of Dems. She told me she went to [House Speaker Kevin] McCarthy’s office to talk about it & said to him: 'I don’t know how we’re ever going to accomplish anything when we can’t call people a liar when they’re lying.'"

• Haha 1

Hunter Biden demands ethics probe into Marjorie Taylor Greene

A lawyer for Hunter Biden, the son of President Biden, on Monday called for the Office of Congressional Ethics to review Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) for “unhinged rhetoric,” possible violations of House ethics rules and official conduct standards following a number of statements and accusations made by the Georgia lawmaker.

“Representative Greene’s unethical conduct arises from her continuous verbal attacks, defamatory statements, publication of personal photos and data, and promotion of conspiracy theories about and against Robert Hunter Biden,” attorney Abbe David Lowell wrote in a letter to Ethics chairmen, obtained by Politico.

“None of these could possibly be deemed to be part of any legitimate legislative activity, as is clear from both the content of her statements and actions, and the forums she uses to spew her often unhinged rhetoric,” Lowell said. 

The letter argues that Greene’s online statements and public talk of Biden and his family are “a spray of shotgun pellets of personal vitriol” from her official position as a congresswoman.

Lowell identifies several of Greene’s social media posts, including one in which she accused Biden of being “linked to an eastern European prostitution or human trafficking ring.” 

Biden has been under federal investigation in recent years over his taxes and foreign business work — and former President Trump and allies like Greene have seized on Biden’s legal woes. 

“The House has a duty to make loud and clear that it does not endorse, condone, or agree with her outrageous, undignified rhetoric and brazen violations of the standards of official conduct that do not reflect creditably on the House of Representatives,” the letter from Biden’s lawyers concludes.