Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most disappointing coach of the Snyder era

hail2skins

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Rivera because he's the only one that has coached a third season and didn't have a winning record.

Shanahan got a winning record in year 3. Gruden had back to back his second and third. Gibbs had two winning seasons out of four total. Nobody else lasted more than two.

While true, no HC had to go through more than Rivera. Multiple investigations from all sides, name change, cancer, COVID etc.

And he inherited a 2-14 team with first round QB Haskins whom the owner drafted and whom the owner wanted to succeed (at least that is my take).

I think he was dealt a brutal hand and I am not sure any coach could have succeeded under those circumstances. I do think the league has passed him by and that we need a younger and more innovative coach to succeed but I still give him credit for keeping the team somewhat together throughout all of those issues.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

While true, no HC had to go through more than Rivera. Multiple investigations from all sides, name change, cancer, COVID etc.

And he inherited a 2-14 team with first round QB Haskins whom the owner drafted and whom the owner wanted to succeed (at least that is my take).

I think he was dealt a brutal hand and I am not sure any coach could have succeeded under those circumstances. I do think the league has passed him by and that we need a younger and more innovative coach to succeed but I still give him credit for keeping the team somewhat together throughout all of those issues.

All fair points. But I still think by year 3 we should have at least one winning record. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Ron said Wentz was his, he owned it whether Dan had anything to do with it or not. Sometimes you have to pay for your mistakes. This team was ready to make the playoffs. If he would have stayed the course. Wentz gets coaches fired, period, fools gold.

Well he has to say that, whether it’s true or not. Otherwise he will look weak. Potential signings will continue to stay away if they think Snyder is still meddling. And we know he meddled on this one, we just don’t know to what extent. Maybe we’ll find out one day when Rivera is gone?

• Thumb up 1

Ron is a class act, but I think Jay did a better job with far less. And had no personnel power at all.  And for all his faults, he definitely would have known the playoff implications of yesterday's game!

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2

I don’t believe the Marty hype. Dan did him a favor firing him after one year. Marty became a martyr because of it. If he had stayed, Dan would have ****ed him over like he does everyone and the legend of Marty would be dead. No one could be really successful here.

Zorn, Spurrier are the run away worst.

Gibbs, Shanny probably middle

Norv and Jay were probably best. 

Some other stranglers. 

I'd put Ron in tie although if you go by win percentage, he's the second best.

Gibbs was 1-2 in the playoffs which is impressive. 

Gibbs, Norv and Ron might be the best three and they're all connected. Weird creativity by ownership.

We've had two horrible coaches and a bunch of non winning try hards. We've got the Reed Daughty of coaching.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Hooper said:

Ron is a class act, but I think Jay did a better job with far less. And had no personnel power at all.  And for all his faults, he definitely would have known the playoff implications of yesterday's game!

Gruden was a better offensive Xs and Os guy but a terrible leader of men. 

Ultimately they're both mediocre. I think if Rivera had a Cousins-caliber QB he makes the playoffs this year and last.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

All fair points. But I still think by year 3 we should have at least one winning record. 

Yes. But I feel like we have a solid core for once. We have a pretty young team overall (7th youngest) and we are in a good cap situation (8th most after the Wentz cut). We also didn't really have any locker room drama during Ron's tenure despite an absurd leadership void on an organizational level.

He was hired to be successful, but also to change the culture. And I think he has managed to be somewhat successful on the latter. It's not there yet obviously but I think this was a step in the right direction. He is not the coach to get the most out of our talent but at least we have accumulated some talent.

Now Snyder is finally selling and once Ron will be gone, I think he will leave this team in a better situation than when he took over.

9 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

I HATED the Shamahan and the Schotferbrains hires. Gibbs in his 4 years back won as many playoff games as Shamahan and Schotferbrains COMBINED after 1998. And in both cases, Snyder gave them absolute power over personnel, which they both sucked at.  

What do you have against Schotty? He was here a year.  One year.  And he had Schneider with him, that guy who drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd (2nd?) and then traded him for the Broncos' soul, where he sucked.

That was the worst part of Snyder's ownership, I couldn't imagine where we'd be if he would've stayed.

5 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

What do you have against Schotty? He was here a year.  One year.  And he had Schneider with him, that guy who drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd (2nd?) and then traded him for the Broncos' soul, where he sucked.

That was the worst part of Snyder's ownership, I couldn't imagine where we'd be if he would've stayed.

In his only draft here, ALL his picks besides Smoot were busts. He picked Rod Gardner ahead of Santana Moss, Reggie Wayne, Chad Johnson and Steve Smith. He cut Larry Centers (who subsequently made the pro bowl for the Bills) and gave big contracts to yes men who were marginal players like Donnell Bennett and Kevin Lockett. If you think Scott Turner is a weak OC, nobody was worse than Jimmy Raye... nobody.  

Do you think Norvo the Clown is a good coach?  Because he took the Chargers a lot further into the postseason than Schothead.  And Pete Carroll is ultimately running the show in Seattle, so we don't know how much Schneider or Scott McGloughan (who claims he was the one advocating Russell Wilson) influenced draft picks.

Ron feels like the worst right now because of recency bias, but I think once I sit back and try to be objective about it...

I'd have to say Zorn or Spurrier.  Hard to get much worse than those donks. Jay Gruden was actually one of the better coaches to come through here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, illone said:

I'd have to say Zorn or Spurrier.  Hard to get much worse than those donks. Jay Gruden was actually one of the better coaches to come through here.

The question I'm asking isn't who was the worst, but who was the most disappointed based on expectations. There were really no expectations with Zorn. Spurrier I could see based on his time at Florida and his rep as a good offensive mind, and it was fair to say that the offense was expected to improve over Marty with Tony Banks. As it turned out, not a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

It's Shanahan for me. I really thought he was going to build up the team and then pass it along to Kyle. We were going to have the best of both worlds with an experienced GM and the "young future of the NFL HC."

All roads lead back to Dan for all these coaches, though. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

For me disappointing implies that the expectations were high and were not met. By using this standard, Zorn and Gruden would be eliminated...although it was HOPED that these were the right guys, no one could predict how they would turn out with any reasonable measure.

I would even include Spurrier in that group, since college coaches have rarely succeeded at the NFL level. Yes, there were exceptions like Jimmy Johnson, but that had more to do with getting 11 players through the Herschel Walker trade.

Scottenheimer gets a pass because he wasn't given a chance by Snyder.

Shanahan definitely qualifies since he won 2 Superb Owls in the late 90s, and there was no reason for anyone to think he had lost his mojo. Guess what...he lost his mojo.

Rivera somewhat qualifies just because he got a team to the Superb Owl. But most of the rest of his career is somewhat mediocre.

For me the biggest disappointment would have to be Gibbs 2.0 over Shanahan. People were dancing in the streets when he was re-hired. Everyone thought the glory days were coming back, since he won 3 of 4 titles and had one of the best teams in the league from 82-92. Yes, they even won a playoff game while he was here, but the team was decisively average and needed late runs just to make the playoffs twice. I don't think Gibbs adjusted well to the free agency era anyway, and never acquired a decent QB.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Shanahan definitely qualifies since he won 2 Superb Owls in the late 90s, and there was no reason for anyone to think he had lost his mojo. Guess what...he lost his mojo.

Rivera somewhat qualifies just because he got a team to the Superb Owl. But most of the rest of his career is somewhat mediocre.

If anyone ever refers to the game that wins you a Lombardi as anything other than a Superb Owl, then they need a permaban.

This is the best thing ever.

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1