Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Most disappointing coach of the Snyder era

hail2skins

2 hours ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

How can Gibbs be disappointing? Sure, Gibbs was not as good as his first stint but at least Gibbs took the Redskins to the playoffs twice while the other past head coaches could not do that 

disappointing seeing an all time great coach reduced to clock management blunders, no creativity, general incoherence in strategy and decision making, and a game that had clearly passed him by. Disappointing that he was brought back in the first place because it just delayed this franchise actually moving forward by 4-5 years 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

Outside of Norv, who Snyder inherited, Gibbs is the only other coach on this list to win a damn playoff game. And he won 1. 1 single playoff win from Gibbs ties Norv and beats the rest of this list COMBINED.

This team has had 1 playoff win since Marty was hired, and it was over 15 years ago.

So anyone who wants to say Gibbs is the obvious answer based on his glory days, at least that man did SOMETHING. 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win in 3 years is basically this team's equivalent of a dynasty since the year 2000.

Marty got shafted. Zorn should've had no expectations. Rivera has always been a more dignified Jeff Fisher who was shielded from similar criticism for so long based solely on the fact that Fisher already existed. Gruden was mediocre after inheriting a mess from Shanahan, especially at QB, so there's only so much I can hold against him.

The answer to me is either Spurrier or Shanahan. Spurrier was the flashy hire by a young new owner who wanted the next big thing, but he was either too lazy or to unwilling to adjust to the NFL to succeed the way he did at the college level.

Shanahan was supposed to be the adult in the room but allowed himself to get bullied by the owner and certain players. He was too cowardly in 2011 to commit to the tank job, and it cost a lot of picks in the 2012 draft to get a QB as a result. He then had 1 good season with a hot rookie QB that he then allowed to injure himself (and RG3 was never the same after that), then despite an amazing assistant coach roster (Kyle and McVay at minimum) absolutely sucked for 2 more years until he was done here.

Gut reaction? Shanahan. College coaches flamed out all the time and still do, so I think Shanahan was more disappointing than Spurrier.

This is kind of my thought process too, but I might go with Spurrier although I think there's a very real case for Shanahan.

When he was hired, it was pointed out that Shanahan didn't have much success without Elway, which was true.  We had one magical season with RG3 and Alfred Morris and that was it.  The other thing that gives me pause about saying it's Shanahan is that he was able to mask RG3's deficiencies.  

Spurrier was just a lazy sack of **** and that ices it for me, I think.  I don't think Shanahan was lazy.  

Rivera's 3rd on my list.  

14 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

A solid coach doesnt have 5 seasons in a row with non winning seasons and coming up on 8 out of 12 losing seasons. 

He's a woeful coach that road the coat tails of a revolutionary elite QB prospect

Ron has:

• battled cancer
  • a DC drawing negative attention to himself
  • streaky defense
  • league and congressional investigations 
  • COVID outbreak during their seasonal hot streak
  • average at best offense
  • potential new ownership

Ron kept team together during all that madness and STILL played meaningful games in December. That is a solid coach. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Disappointing that he was brought back in the first place because it just delayed this franchise actually moving forward by 4-5 years 

That's where I ultimately am. I was elated when he returned, but after the initial euphoria I stepped back and thought "is this guy going to be around long enough to make a long term difference?"

Longtime poster Gibbs Hog Heaven used to contend that Gibbs was brought back not to rebuild, but to win. If that's the case, two playoff appearances and one playoff win, with two bad seasons, fell short of that goal.

7 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

disappointing seeing an all time great coach reduced to clock management blunders, no creativity, general incoherence in strategy and decision making, and a game that had clearly passed him by. Disappointing that he was brought back in the first place because it just delayed this franchise actually moving forward by 4-5 years 

And despite all that, still made the playoffs twice which is a Herculean effort under the Snyder regime.  I can see the arguments for and against Gibbs here but I don't think he's a clearcut favorite for the top spot on this list in a way that a guy like Spurrier or Shanahan is.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

We had one magical season with RG3 and Alfred Morris and that was it.  The other thing that gives me pause about saying it's Shanahan is that he was able to mask RG3's deficiencies.  

Weren't those deficiencies so prevalent Mike was ready to quit after the playoff loss to Seattle? 😬

• Like 1

Just now, Leonard Washington said:

battled cancer

Irrelevant to results on the field. Awful to hear but this is a results business.

1 minute ago, Leonard Washington said:

a DC drawing negative attention to himself

Who hired him?

streaky defense

Falls on the HC and the staff he hired

COVID outbreak during their seasonal hot streak

Team was middle of the pack in 2021 in covid misses

2 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

average at best offense

Whos fault is that? The HC who picked the OC and just about every player currently on offense?

3 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

potential new ownership

Irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

Ron kept team together during all that madness and STILL played meaningful games in December. That is a solid coach. 

In the end of the day hes painfully below average HC that strings wins together against other woeful teams that keeps them stuck in the middle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

And despite all that, still made the playoffs twice which is a Herculean effort under the Snyder regime.  I can see the arguments for and against Gibbs here but I don't think he's a clearcut favorite for the top spot on this list in a way that a guy like Spurrier or Shanahan is.

I completely agree. shanahan would be my pick 

• Like 1

im gonna have to say rivera...he has has talent ! this is the most weaons we have had in a longtime on offense.. and on defense we have pieces there too ! No excuse . We will be mediocre till we get a Quarterback ! It has haunted us for years ! 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, method man said:

Definitely Shanahan. That 2013 season exposed who he truly was. Doubt Ron has an exit like that after next year

Add that Shanny had 3 double digit loss seasons out of the 4 he was here. Hall of Fame coaches don’t put up those type of performances

Shanny's a Hall of Fame coach because he had John Elway.

I will give Shanny some credit though, his running attack was legit.  Alfred Morris had 1,600 rushing yards in his rookie year, that was incredible.  He made 1,000 yard rushers out of guys like Olandis Gary, Reuben Droughns, Mike Anderson and Tatum Bell.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, woodpecker said:

None of these coaches ever had a chance. Every one of them was faced with completely incompetent player acquisition and roster management by Snyder and his puppets Vinny and Bruce. Not to mention all the other organizational toxicity. But if I have to pick one I’ll go with Zorn, despite him also having the lowest expectations. The rest of these guys were at least decent coaches and could have succeeded with a good GM in place. Zorn on the other hand could not coach at all.

Valid point but I disagree about Spurrier.  His coaching was geared strictly for college ball. 

Edited by Csup

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Shanny's a Hall of Fame coach because he had Terrell Davis.

😉

Mother****er was the Broncos coach for 9 of the 10 years I lived in Colorado. They had decent quarterbacks but since they weren't Elway Mike was never satisfied. Griese, Plummer, and even Cutler were all perfectly cromulent QBs.

The defense was always the problem because he doesn't know jack about it. Ray Rhodes probably put together the best defenses there post Elway. He resigned cuz Mike's an asshole. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

😉

Mother****er was the Broncos coach for 9 of the 10 years I lived in Colorado. They had decent quarterbacks but since they weren't Elway Mike was never satisfied. Griese, Plummer, and even Cutler were all perfectly cromulent QBs.

The defense was always the problem because he doesn't know jack about it. Ray Rhodes probably put together the best defenses there post Elway. He resigned cuz Mike's an asshole. 🤣

This is true, Terrell Davis was a monster in those years.  

We'll have to agree to disagree about Plummer, I always thought that guy was super talented but 161 career tuddys (YES I AM USING IT) vs 161 career picks isn't good.  

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Shanny's post-Elway Broncos weren't bad at all. It was only the last three seasons there that things went sideways.

But here?  The 2010-11 seasons might be the most forgettable ones in the 50 seasons I've been a fan.

2011, all those clowns needed to do was not win a couple meaningless games and they'd get Luck. He probably wouldn't have retired himself either because the Colts had a pathetic OL.

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

2011, all those clowns needed to do was not win a couple meaningless games and they'd get Luck. He probably wouldn't have retired himself either because the Colts had a pathetic OL.

You know Dan would've insisted on the flashy RG3 anyway and Shanny would've complied.

Worst coach ,Zorn by far

Most disappointing to me was Shanny. Figured he would have learned his lesson on sticking with terrible D coordinators when his buddy Bolen let him go but he did the same thing here. Of course having Dan as an owner automatically lessens any criticism a Washington coach should endure lol.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

We'll have to agree to disagree about Plummer, I always thought that guy was super talented but 161 career tuddys (YES I AM USING IT) vs 161 career picks isn't good.  

His first three years in Denver were really good. Maybe not statistically but they were a damn good team in 2004/05.

Tuddy. 🤭

Don't get me started on the fact our Piggly Wiggly mascots name is Major Tuddy. 🤦‍♂️

I mean dude just when ya think it couldn't possibly get anymore embarrassing. Boom.

danny-devito-mm.gif

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

For me it's Shanahan.  Outside of Joe, he had the most success and pedigree, and I remember being excited about that hire.  But -- Dan is the living embodiment of a lump of coal in your stocking,...or, just a pile of ****.

Just think -- Joe Gibbs and Mike Shanahan could not over come, or should I say, scale the mountain of **** that is Dan Snyder as an NFL owner.  It's pretty incredible.  

I was never excited about the Rivera hire -- he always struck me as an average to above average coach that got lucky with his guy Cam.  Didn't surprise me that Dan would give him full control because that's what Dan does.  Make bad decisions.  

6 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Shanny's a Hall of Fame coach because he had John Elway.

This is why I can't pick Shanny, there were question marks about him being overrated before he came in, but were mostly ignored because of the need for someone of his pedigree at the time.

He flamed out pretty bad once Elway left Denver. Hell, double checking, he missed playoffs three of four seasons following Elways retirement, it was almost immediate, had three playoff seasons in a row after that, then missed playoffs three years in a row before getting canned.

There's nothing HOF about that, his stint with us closed that book despite what he brought to the game with zone blocking.  

• Like 1