Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ted Cruz' daughter apparently attempted suicide :(

The weird thing about Ted Cruz - or one of myriad weird things about Ted Cruz - is that he is a person who is almost universally loathed by his colleagues on both sides of the aisle - and by his family too, apparently - yet he still is able to get reelected to statewide office.  

Maybe "likeabilty" is no longer a factor in Republican politics.

~~

I sincerely hope his young daughter comes out of this okay.

• Like 1

Maybe Ted will realize why mental health should be covered like other medical conditions.  Not every thing can be overcome with stoicism.  As for her, I feel for nothing but sympathy.  Having MS, I know suicide is a very common cause of death. 

I hope she gets help for the pain she is suffering, and I hope the rest of the world gives her the space and attention she needs to find her way.   

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

So are we going to ignore her coming out as bi-sexual last January? 

I don't think the lives of politicians are like regular people... and I think his wife shares his views.  

Incidentally, I hate this fact about the people that run for and gain office.  A "regular person" cannot. 

Shares his views that it's ok for her to be attacked without him defending her? I'm still betting on she feels stuck with no options or totally broken. Doubt she's feeling good about her life most days. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10360897/Ted-Cruzs-daughter-heads-TikTok-talk-senators-kid.html

'I really disagree with most of his views': Ted Cruz's daughter, 13, takes to TikTok and claims she is constantly judged by people for her father's conservative opinions

• Caroline Cruz, 13, publicly revealed that she disagrees with the politics of her father, conservative Texas Sen. Ted Cruz

It's unfathomable to me that people are unwilling to change their views in a situation like this when they're unable to accept or understand their own kid.  I think people confuse strength with digging in your heels...no, strength is being able to willing to learn and adapt and say "Maybe I was wrong about that." 

No chance that Ted Cruz doesn't come out of this and keep being the raging dickhead he's always been in spite of his daughter's obvious cry for help.  And that's incredibly sad.  

• Like 3

Ted Cruz the worst sort of politician that there is.  A craven coward that stands for nothing and happily goes along with the worst movements so long as they benefit him.  Ted Cruz is also an entirely separate human being from his daughter and I don’t believe in “sins of the father” nonsense.

I don’t know anything about his daughter other than she’s in a bad place and has harmed herself.  She’s one of a growing number of young people experiencing worsening mental health outcomes.  I wish that the adults of this world would do their damn jobs and place the needs of our children first.  We won’t though, because we’re a rotten selfish generation of adults preoccupied with our own needs while more and more of our kids attempt or succeed and ending their own lives.  So best I can hope for is that she finds the help she needs.  

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

@Destino

Couldn't agree more with "sins of the father" nonsense.  This is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.  

Having to wonder if this is the day that I find my child's body in their bedroom when I open the door is a (sobering-  but there's barely words) thought.  He shared with us recently it was self-esteem during the tween years (he is still a teenager, just older), but our family went code red, pulled him out of school (independent study) and re-structred around him immediately. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10360897/Ted-Cruzs-daughter-heads-TikTok-talk-senators-kid.html

It's unfathomable to me that people are unwilling to change their views in a situation like this when they're unable to accept or understand their own kid.  I think people confuse strength with digging in your heels...no, strength is being able to willing to learn and adapt and say "Maybe I was wrong about that." 

No chance that Ted Cruz doesn't come out of this and keep being the raging dickhead he's always been in spite of his daughter's obvious cry for help.  And that's incredibly sad.  

If you mean it's unfathomable to you that people are unwilling to CONSIDER changing their views in situations like this, then I completely agree with you. But if your point is that having kids of middle school and high school age right now and just blanketly aligning with everything they're chirping about, I think that's one of our largest issues as a society. I think our country is becoming TOO buddy-buddy with our children and looking too much to them for acceptance, rather than setting the example for them. 

Should we be open? Absolutely! Should we accept our son if he comes to us and says he's gay? Of course! But just swallowing everything and anything that a 13-year old disagrees with us about isn't the right answer either. 

• Like 1

The fact she attempted and wasn't successful screams more to a cry for help then truly giving up things ever getting better in her life.

It could be a combination of things, being Bi in Texas, having a public figure like Ted Cruz as her father, I lean towards her not being supported as the likely larger factor because Cruz has let it be known he'll let people say anything about his family and then lick their fn shoe (see what Trump said about his Wife and Father).

This reminds me a lot of Kellyann Conway's daughter and where I was afraid she'd eventually end up.  There isn't much help to give kids like that because what they want their parents will never give them.  

I look forward to them both being adults and being able to choose where they want to live and build their own support system.  It's hard to cut your parents off when you live with them.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

If you mean it's unfathomable to you that people are unwilling to CONSIDER changing their views in situations like this, then I completely agree with you. But if your point is that having kids of middle school and high school age right now and just blanketly aligning with everything they're chirping about, I think that's one of our largest issues as a society. I think our country is becoming TOO buddy-buddy with our children and looking too much to them for acceptance, rather than setting the example for them. 

Should we be open? Absolutely! Should we accept our son if he comes to us and says he's gay? Of course! But just swallowing everything and anything that a 13-year old disagrees with us about isn't the right answer either. 

This is so crazy, because there is a very different relationship between and friend and a parent, and it seems a lot of parents don't understand that their kids don't want their parents to be their peer like friends when they are kids. 

That's not what being supportive or emotionally available means.  My relationship with my mom and dad are different to this day because one tried to be my friend and the other made clear they were my parent. 

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The fact she attempted and wasn't successful screams more to a cry for help then truly giving up things ever getting better in her life.

I think this is a misnomer. 

in the same category of “If she was actually raped she would have reported it when it happened”

there are many reasons an attempted suicide fails. 

certainly being 13 can be one of them

also stabbing your self to death seems like a not very great way to assure it’s a done deal. 

the could have walked in on her. 

my wife walked in on someone one time. She saved them. She had to perform cpr (she has a high cpr success rate which is weird, it’s <20% on average I think.  Total luck if circumstance - not like she’s a cpr magician or anything) and she was seriously injured trying to pull someone down while hanging themselves that weighs almost twice what she does and is a solid 6” taller.  The person didn’t even recall any of it. 

suicide is weird. Categorically weird. From who tries and why, to the ways they try, to when they do it, to whether it succeeds, whether they try again, and apparently whether they even remember it. 

i think it’s best to not cast judgements based on public information. There’s probably only a handful of people who even know what is going on with that girl. And none of them are us. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, tshile said:

I think this is a misnomer. 

in the same category of “If she was actually raped she would have reported it when it happened”

Being formally suicidal, I wouldn't put these two things anywhere near each other.

there are many reasons an attempted suicide fails. 

certainly being 13 can be one of them

also stabbing your self to death seems like a not very great way to assure it’s a done deal. 

This, while also extremely personal, it comes across as a snapping point.  Stabbing anyone is not for the faint of heart, stabbing yourself?

the could have walked in on her. 

my wife walked in on someone one time. She saved them. She had to perform cpr (she has a high cpr success rate which is weird, it’s <20%. Total luck if circumstance - not like she’s a cpr magician or anything) and she was seriously injured trying to pull someone down while hanging themselves that weighs almost twice what she does and is a solid 6” taller.  The person didn’t even recall any of it. 

suicide is weird. Categorically weird. From who tries and why, to the ways they try, to when they do it, to whether it succeeds, whether they try again, and apparently whether they even remember it. 

It typically makes more sense to the person attempting it then any outside observer.  Take it from someone who used to have a plan "a typically dangerous sign", caught a family member cutting herself, and spent time in support groups hearing their perspective on the subject.

i think it’s best to not cast judgements based on public information. There’s probably only a handful of people who even know what is going on with that girl. And none of them are us. 

Totally agree with this.  What I don't want to see is this turn into a mental illness discussion unless she's diagnosed, hating your parents isn't a mental illness.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

@Renegade7

my point is saying she must have not meant it, because she wasn’t successful, seems like a not very intelligent view point to have. 

may it was just a cry for help

maybe she meant it

i don’t know how you can begin to feel comfortable trying to pick which one when there’s no access to real information, let alone based on the fact it didn’t “work”. 

1 minute ago, tshile said:

@Renegade7

my point is saying she must have not meant it, because she wasn’t successful, seems like a not very intelligent view point to have. 

may it was just a cry for help

maybe she meant it

i don’t know how you can begin to feel comfortable trying to pick which one when there’s no access to real information, let alone based on the fact it didn’t “work”. 

You right that no way to know for sure until she clarifies herself.

This attempted versus means that are clearly successful is openly talked about in support groups about this.

So yea, that is my initial reaction.  There is a difference between people that just want the pain to stop and those absolutely sure they don't want to be here anymore and make sure of it.  I'm not saying I know which one, but it's a discussion board, so if you think it's wrong to say this, I understand why.

But comparing it to reporting rape seems completely different and borderline inappropriate, imo.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

But comparing it to reporting rape seems completely different and borderline inappropriate, imo.

I’m only comparing it in the sense that you’re casting a judgment on her that she must have not meant it because it didn’t work

sort of like how some people say a rape must have not actually happened because she waited 5 years to report it (and therefore it’s obviously about something else)

so, no, don’t see how it’s inappropriate. But I do absolutely think saying she must have not meant it because she wasn’t successful, is inappropriate. So, whatever. 

I’m only comparing it in the sense that you’re casting a judgment on her that she must have not meant it because it didn’t work

sort of like how some people say a rape must have not actually happened because she waited 5 years to report it (and therefore it’s obviously about something else)

so, no, don’t see how it’s inappropriate. But I do absolutely think saying she must have not meant it because she wasn’t successful, is inappropriate. So, whatever. 

Never said specifically that she didn't mean it.

There is a difference between folks and reasoning that leads to attempts via methods like wrist cutting or pill overdosing versus gunshot wounds to the head.

Noticing those differences is part of the conversation to help determine what kinda help she needs.  It's nothing like not reporting rape, at least from my perspective of talking to people that have actually attempted suicide and or been raped. 

A lot of people are afraid to report rape because of consequences or retribution, what kinda consequences do you think goes through peoples heads when they are actively trying to kill themselves?  I don't get tying the two at all.

7 minutes ago, skinsmarydu said:

My husband's step-father attempted suicide by shooting himself in the head...all he was successful with was putting his eye out, he survived.  (I guess that is why my husband shot himself straight in the heart, 3 years ago yesterday.) 

Suicide is awful for everyone. 

Oh my God...I am so sorry! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1