Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington at New Jersey ~ Moxie Blinders Edition

TK
Message added by TK,

973072700_ScreenShot2022-12-04at4_31_42PM.thumb.png.19a6e3e0e6511360c4c85258c2975af0.png

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

We have the Giants, 9ers, Browns, and Cowboys left. If we have any hope of getting bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs, we have to beat the Giants and Browns.

I haven't seen the highlights, but the Browns scare me a bit.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

We have the Giants, 9ers, Browns, and Cowboys left. If we have any hope of getting bounced in the 1st round of the playoffs, we have to beat the Giants and Browns.

With no elite QBs in the NFC anymore, I'm not convinced we are an automatic first round exit.

Look how many teams with seeds right now have similar formula to us.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm not sure if I can blame Turner. It was 2nd and 7 or 8 at, what, the Giant 43 ish? You don't wanna settle for a long FG, but at the same time you don't wanna get sacked either. He calls back to back running plays and we lose yards both times.

But you saw what happened when we try to pass. Thibodeaux was coming in literally unblocked. 

The high % option was running it twice and trying to kick a game winning 50 ish yarder. It didn't work out. But I'm not sure I can blame Turner.

If we get sacked we punt anyway. WIn the damn game. He nearly lost it.

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s all I’ve been thinking about since the punt. A team with balls goes for that and tries to put their division rival away early, especially the way we were running. And even if you fail…well; they ended up scoring a TD after the punt anyways. 

Yeah same. It's also what drives me nuts about how these decisions are covered by the media. No one talks about it when someone punts and then the opponent scores a TD (like we did today). But whenever someone tries to convert and fails it's all about bashing the "analytics". It's so disingenuous.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

This is what I don't understand. They are the coaches and have the power to make a switch at the QB position. If they are terrified of Heinicke making bad plays and just generally sucking ass, why does he still play? Its on the staff if they have no answer to the QB position. He was sacked 5 times and pressured on almost all of his drop backs today. How would the other two have fared? My answer to this is our Oline can't protect anyone regardless of whom is calling the plays. Howell must not be ready at all or even close to not put him in. It just sucks that this is where we are right now. What I wouldn't give for Scherff and Williams type players right now.

Wentz would be worse especially with martin at center and endless pressure coming up the middle.  And Howell, do you want to shell shock your young rookie QB for what isn't guaranteed to be an upgrade?   Right now we have 3 options, and none of them are very good.  It's like choosing your own death, you can get buried alive or lit on fire.  Then act surprised when someone says I'd rather be buried alive.  WHAT?  DON'T YOU KNOW HOW AWFUL THAT WOULD BE??  Well hey, it's not as bad as getting lit on fire.

• Like 1

Just now, CapsSkins said:

Ties are neither technically a "half-win" nor a "half-loss"... epistemically, they are their own thing! What you mean is that for the purposes of standings, they are treated like a "half-win" or "half-loss".

But Taylor did not lead the team to a win today. Ron can make the switch to Wentz if he wants. I think he should!

Yes, the standings is what I meant. 

But while he didn’t lead the team to a win, he also didn’t lead them to a loss :P 

as for switching to wentz……I don’t give a **** what they do, the starter will either win, or he won’t. Not going to stress myself about it. I have all week off, I’ll just get drunk instead. Way better :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

This is what I don't understand. They are the coaches and have the power to make a switch at the QB position. If they are terrified of Heinicke making bad plays and just generally sucking ass, why does he still play? Its on the staff if they have no answer to the QB position. He was sacked 5 times and pressured on almost all of his drop backs today. How would the other two have fared? My answer to this is our Oline can't protect anyone regardless of whom is calling the plays. Howell must not be ready at all or even close to not put him in. It just sucks that this is where we are right now. What I wouldn't give for Scherff and Williams type players right now.

I think it’s because they finally feel they’ve  had the vibe they want in the locker room during this win streak, it’s a fragile thing, and they don’t want to have Wentz suck ass after the change and hear all the I-Told-You-So’s, as the national media has constantly acted like going into the season with Heinicke as the starter was our obvious solution as they magically forget how bad he was last year. In retrospect they act like it’s crazy we tried everything in our power to replace him and landed on Wentz as the only reasonable option. So if they go away from Heinicke during this win streak, and it blows up in their faces—they look horrible. So they didn’t do that, and the locker room was rolling anyways. Winning is fun and Heinicke is a good story. 

Now, after that performance—I think they have some cover if they want to swap. But idk if they have the balls. 

4 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I haven't seen the highlights, but the Browns scare me a bit.

Watson was AWFUL today, but it was probably just him shaking off rust. They have arguably the best RB in the league, but you can score on them. It'll be a coin flip game. 

Is it possible Taylor jus isn't good at running RPOs?  Those are nearly entirely judgement calls by the QB.

It's pretty obvious he can't throw on the run, so a designed run made to look like rollout wouldn't fool anyone.

I don't believe the coaches don't want to run him, jus there's too much film on him that coaches have given up on certain run plays they had in playbook for him.  That, and they don't trust him with RPOs because they are on the fly judgment calls that when guess wrong are almost always negative plays or worse turnovers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Watson was AWFUL today, but it was probably just him shaking off rust. They have arguably the best RB in the league, but you can score on them. It'll be a coin flip game. 

We've played awful defenses recently, and our offense can't do anything.  Taylor misses wide open DTs can't happen with his limitations.

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Is it possible Taylor jus isn't good at running RPOs?  Those are nearly entirely judgement calls by the QB.

It's pretty obvious he can't throw on the run, so a designed run made to look like rollout wouldn't fool anyone.

I don't believe the coaches don't want to run him, jus there's too much film on him that coaches have given up on certain run plays they had in playbook for him.  That, and they don't trust him with RPOs because they are on the fly judgment calls that when guess wrong are almost always negative plays or worse turnovers.

He's not actually fast or explosive. He's got some quickness and elusiveness, but he often gets beat to the edge by better athletes on defense. And on top of that, he's small, so he's more likely to injure himself on an RPO. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Howell can certainly do that.  

If we can beat the Giants after the bye, I like our chances of getting in, especially with as awful as Watson looked today. 49ers are just a more talented version of us with or without Jimmy G. Dallas is better than us all around.

We can sneak in at 9-7-1.