Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2024 & Presidential Cage Match: Dark Brandon 46 vs Felonious Farty 45

88Comrade2000

35 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The economy is doing way better than most Americans believe. 

Critics have stopped talking about gas prices for now but I still hear a lot of whining about retirement accounts being decimated. 

A central pillar of most people’s retirement accounts should be a diversified stock portfolio. Since Biden entered office the broad stock market is up about 30%, I.e.  which is above historical averages. Even if they are sitting on cash they are getting much higher rates than in the past decade.

And the news on other fixed income isn’t bad either, unless they did something misguided.

Edited by Corcaigh

52 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

A central pillar of most people’s retirement accounts should be a diversified stock portfolio. Since Biden entered office the broad stock market is up about 30%, I.e.  which is above historical averages. Even if they are sitting on cash they are getting much higher rates than in the past decade.

Because they haven't looked at their balance since the end of 2022.

My understanding is that the traditional retirement portfolio is 60 percent stocks and 40 percent bonds. I can see that perhaps the bond portion probably declined last year, due to rising interest rates, thus somewhat muting the gains that happened from the strong stock market last year.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Because they haven't looked at their balance since the end of 2022.

My understanding is that the traditional retirement portfolio is 60 percent stocks and 40 percent bonds. I can see that perhaps the bond portion probably declined last year, due to rising interest rates, thus somewhat muting the gains that happened from the strong stock market last year.

Well, they are in for a nice surprise when they check their 2023 statement.  Thanks Biden!

The thing with the decline in bond fund NAV is that they will have seen an increase in dividends, and if they do plan to sell a portion of their bonds in the near term they should at least have that portion in shorter durations. If their financial advisor put them in this situation they need a new FA or just do it themselves and save the AUM fees.

Edited by Corcaigh

1 hour ago, Corcaigh said:

Critics have stopped talking about gas prices for now but I still hear a lot of whining about retirement accounts being decimated. 

And the news on other fixed income isn’t bad either, unless they did something misguided.

People who say their retirement balances have been decimated either don’t pay attention to their accounts, can’t determine if a number is greater than or lesser than another number, or did something monumentally stupid like try to time the market converting to cash or bought crypto.

I have a large portion of my 401k balance from a previous employer. I record the balance each month so I can understand how things are going. This account has no further contributions made to it. It’s gone up 31% since the 2020 election. I have done nothing fancy to it. I’m not crediting or blaming any administration, I’m tired of people being so confidently wrong about basic facts.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

People who say their retirement balances have been decimated either don’t pay attention to their accounts, can’t determine if a number is greater than or lesser than another number, or did something monumentally stupid like try to time the market converting to cash or bought crypto.

I have a large portion of my 401k balance from a previous employer. I record the balance each month so I can understand how things are going. This account has no further contributions made to it. It’s gone up 31% since the 2020 election. I have done nothing fancy to it. I’m not crediting or blaming any administration, I’m tired of people being so confidently wrong about basic facts.

Right on. I got more conservative with my IRA when I retired 6 years ago and have tweaked stock vs bond %s along the way. Always on my FAs advice. Up double digit % last year. 

4 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I'm tired of people being so confidently wrong about basic facts.

You're describing an overwhelmingly widespread cognitive characteristic (one that greatly influences behaviors) of humans and it often takes on a particularly assertive and aggressive nature in our "American Culture" (and some other cultures, too).

More evidence that the media narrative about the economy is changing. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/02/biden-jobs-economy-00139282

Biden’s ‘holy grail’ economy

The blowout job growth in January adds fuel to President Joe Biden’s pitch to voters that the economy is solidly recovering under his watch.

But it also probably shuts the door on an interest rate cut by the Federal Reserve next month, which many Wall Street investors and Democrats have been pressing for as inflation eases.

The Labor Department said Friday that the economy added a net 353,000 jobs in January, far surpassing economists’ forecasts, and unemployment remained near a half-century low at 3.7 percent. What’s more, growth in the labor market was also revised up for November and Decemb

“We are currently seeing what I’ve called the holy grail of non-inflationary growth,” EY-Parthenon chief economist Gregory Daco said before the report. “We have an environment where the economy’s still moving forward at a relatively decent clip, and we have inflation that’s falling back toward the Fed’s target. It’s the best of both worlds when it comes to policymakers.”

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Just went your were about to laugh at all the maga nuts for getting triggered over some pop star at a football game, CNN decides to write an article to legitimize their insecurities 🙄

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2024/02/03/smr-whats-swifts-endorsement-worth.cnn

Just when I was hoping that I'd heard the last about Taylor Swift conspiracy theories,some troll decides to post a link saying that Taylor Swift might influence some people, and claim that this "legitimizes" claims that she's a Pentagon psy ops asset. 

6 minutes ago, Larry said:

Just when I was hoping that I'd heard the last about Taylor Swift conspiracy theories,some troll decides to post a link saying that Taylor Swift might influence some people, and claim that this "legitimizes" claims that she's a Pentagon psy ops asset. 

Haha! Good! I hope she comes home every night and finds some MAGA chud sifting thru her underwear drawer screaming about "pizzagate" and throwing cans of Bud Light. I hope they poke the bear until she HAS to speak out, I want them to hang themselves on their own petard.

On a side note, I told my friend (who doesn't follow politics at all) about this and what the GOP were doing. The only thing she said was "Thats stupid, why would they do that?". We're almost at the end, folks.

• Thumb up 3

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Lighten up sugar daddy.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

A few different thoughts on this. 

- if that's the smartest path, then put the most resources there. 

- it's still worth going for Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada. Won those before. 

- if you have raised this insane about of money mostly unspent yet. Then you go for both the states where their local GOPs are broke and also some misdirection to make the opponent and his ego demand they spend more there and hold a rally or 5.

• Thumb up 1

Scary thing happened the other day. Buzzette and I spent 2 hours at the bar trying to convince a few 20-somethings that they needed to vote for Biden instead of protest voting. I had overheard their conversation and was just going to stay out of it. Then one started complaining about how corrupt the DNC is and they worked it behind the scenes to not let Bernie win the nomination. I had to interrupt to point out that

BERNIE ISNT A REGISTERED ****ING DEMOCRAT YOU IGNORANT ****!

They were unaware of this info.

Oh and the point of that was because she is a MI voter.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

A few different thoughts on this. 

- if that's the smartest path, then put the most resources there. 

- it's still worth going for Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada. Won those before. 

- if you have raised this insane about of money mostly unspent yet. Then you go for both the states where their local GOPs are broke and also some misdirection to make the opponent and his ego demand they spend more there and hold a rally or 5.

DNC resources should go, in order:

PA

WI

MI

NV

NC

AZ

GA

VA

• Like 1