Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

But there remains no indication for when owner Dan Snyder could select a winning bidder. Snyder hasn’t even actually stated he’s selling the team, although FOS reported previously that the bidders were told Snyder was selling at least a controlling stake of the team, which he purchased for about $800 million in 1999.”

If Dan retains let’s say a 20% stake and the controlling partner has 30%, it’s going to be interesting.

7 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If Dan retains let’s say a 20% stake and the controlling partner has 30%, it’s going to be interesting.

I don't see how he gets indemnification if he is still partial owner.  Retaining anything seems unlikely to me.  If anything it's to add leverage to get indemnification more than desire to keep a %.

56 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I mean this sincerely: Why do you care either way?

Why do I care!  Really, did I offend you with my question?  I really don’t care who owns the team.  As long as they can afford to run it.  I personally would like everyone to call Snyder’s bluff and give him a take or leave it offer!  I really don’t think he can afford not to sell.  

what I don’t want to see happen is that they spend so much getting the team, that they will not be able to actually run it properly.  In that case we will remain in the same boat as fans, while Dan run’s laughing all the way to the bank!   

big name actors, rap stars, and basketball players I care nothing about!   To me that just seems like a lot of fluff!  

13 minutes ago, CommDownMan said:

I don't see how he gets indemnification if he is still partial owner.  Retaining anything seems unlikely to me.  If anything it's to add leverage to get indemnification more than desire to keep a %.

The two are not mutually exclusive. If he is forgoing a controlling stake it’s not unreasonable to require an indemnification clause in the partnership agreement. He doesn’t want to be thrown under the bus in future potential litigation.

There have been zero specifics reported on or leaked. We are all guessing at this point based on the reporting that is happening.  

When it does get done, the partnership will be voted on by the owners as part of the approval process. It can contain language that any named minority partner can be voted in as controlling owner by the partnership or any of the original partners can acquire each others shares.  That would not require a separate NFL approval vote if it’s built into the original package.

Meaning it can be structured where Dan or his family can regain control if they acquired an additional 10% in the scenario he keeps 20% and the lead owner has 30%. If the owners push back on that, Dan can simply say no deal I’m not selling. So it’s not out of the realm of possibility based on what has been reported thus far for it to be approved. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

Just now, Conn said:

The NFL will not approve a sale of less than 100% of the team imo. They are done with him and the liability he brings 

If the NFL votes him out he has 120 days to sell. If he brought in this type of sale where he is no longer controlling owner but retains a share even after he is voted out it can be argued it satisfies NFL bylaws. They are very vague in this area. 

The NFL would have to balance having their immediate headache disappear while he retains his “legacy” stake or they can choose to dig their heels in and strengthen Dan’s position in potential litigation.

If Harris, Rales and Magic are willing to be partners with Dan in the largest amount ever paid in sports sale in history why would the NFL object? 

I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT DAN RETAINS A PORTION OF THE TEAM

but...if I'm Dan.  IF I AM DAN.  I can't imagine giving up 100% of the team and not retaining some points in order to get some very nice passive income each year.  Silent owner, no decision making power, just give me a check for a few million each year.  

I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR THIS.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

If the NFL votes him out he has 120 days to sell. If he brought in this type of sale where he is no longer controlling owner but retains a share even after he is voted out it can be argued it satisfies NFL bylaws. They are very vague in this area. 

The NFL would have to balance having their immediate headache disappear while he retains his “legacy” stake or they can choose to dig their heels in and strengthen Dan’s position in potential litigation.

If Harris, Rales and Magic are willing to be partners with Dan in the largest amount ever paid in sports sale in history why would the NFL object? 

For about a thousand reasons that don’t need to be re-litigated in this thread. But if you think I’m gonna continue helping you satisfy the kink you obviously have for being shouted down over contrary takes 😬 

Edited by Conn

9 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I AM NOT ADVOCATING THAT DAN RETAINS A PORTION OF THE TEAM

but...if I'm Dan.  IF I AM DAN.  I can't imagine giving up 100% of the team and not retaining some points in order to get some very nice passive income each year.  Silent owner, no decision making power, just give me a check for a few million each year.  

I AM NOT ADVOCATING FOR THIS.

I should also add before everyone lumps me with SoCal that I don't think this happens and that I think he sells 100%.

• Haha 2

It's a thankfully unlikely thought, but I can't imagine why Dan would entertain holding even a small part of the team. He and Tanya clearly have egos, and I can't imagine anything more humiliating than watching the majority owner hoist a Lombardi trophy on national television while Danya are sitting on the couch at home so that they don't get shunned by their fellow owners and booed by minions/fans that abhor them.

That's not even touching on whether new owners would entertain the thought of buying the team if Snyder's name is still attached to it in any shape or form. I'd refuse to sully my reputation that way when I could spend my money on more enjoyable and socially acceptable things.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

It's a thankfully unlikely thought, but I can't imagine why Dan would entertain holding even a small part of the team. He and Tanya clearly have egos, and I can't imagine anything more humiliating than watching the majority owner hoist a Lombardi trophy on national television while Danya are sitting on the couch at home so that they don't get shunned by their fellow owners and booed by minions/fans that abhor them.

That's not even touching on whether new owners would entertain the thought of buying the team if Snyder's name is still attached to it in any shape or form. I'd refuse to sully my reputation that way when I could spend my money on more enjoyable and socially acceptable things.

It has been reported Dan wants to keep a legacy share for his family. You don’t need to imagine. It’s been reported.

If that is true and if he has any thoughts about creating an avenue for him or his family to regain control, selling to a group whose lead owner has a 30% stake is a great way of doing it. 

Everyone is assuming the sale is for 100% but that hasn’t been reported anywhere or by anyone. They have always hedged reports and a couple of reports specifically alluded to the fact he wants to keep a share. I believe Keim mentioned this.

We all want Dan to sell the whole thing but until it’s actually reported that’s the case, we can’t assume it is. It also makes sense if he’s refusing to sell to Bezos. He previously prevented Bezos buying out Fed Smith and Schar as minority partner. Not wanting to be partners with Bezos is different than not selling him a 100% stake.

Taking less money to be part of a partnership you may be able to control in the future may have value over selling to the highest individual bidder. 

No one covering the story has nailed this.  As Keim, Standig among others have said its really hard to pull information about it because all parties keep things quiet because of confidentiality clauses. 

I've defended Perez here some because he's gotten three stories correct.  A.  He was the one who shut down the BS story from Forbes about Dan having bids over 7 billion.  B.  He broke the story about no bid from Bezos.  3.  Keim backed him on the story that regardless of how Dan feels about Bezos, BOA wanted to engage Bezos in the process.  And he seems pretty knowledgible when on the radio when explaining things. 

I know some give him a hard time because he works for a new media outlet so how legit can that be?  But from my own experiences with the media -- its all about the reporters' network, not so much who their employer is.  If a reporter leaves a major news outlet theur connections don't just dissapear.  I know a really connected political reporter who worked for a major news outlet who know just works for himself, created his own web site and blog and is still plenty connected for stories.

Having said that Perez hasn't been perfectly on the money either.  Really no one has aside from Keim but Keim hasn't really put much info out there to get wrong.  And i don't think any of these guys can kill it because no one is talking.  Seems like the main sources these guys are people who know the parites involved and they share what they've heard.  But its not like typical NFL info where you got agents, players, FO people -- so many angles to get info.

I am bringing this up because I noticed how each one of these dudes are different as to their takes on this.  Where Perez has been different is he seems the one that most insistent that Bezos is still in play.    The NY Post guy is the most insistent that Dan might not sell.  Perez also sees Dan not selling as a possibility but still thinks he likely sells.   Keim seems to suggest full steam ahead Dan is selling.  And I trust Keim by a mile the most.

https://frontofficesports.com/magic-johnson-enters-commanders-bidding-war/

The word “imminent” has been tossed around by various reports in recent days, with many looking toward the NFL owners meetings beginning Sunday in Phoenix as the likely time and venue to announce a deal. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

My biggest concern is that the ownership group doesn't have the cash to fund a new stadium right away.  Whoever is buying the team needs to have a plan in place to build a stadium with their own $$$.

That's a tough ask, but it's necessary.  We cant go another 10 years with that trash heap of a stadium....

18 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

My biggest concern is that the ownership group doesn't have the cash to fund a new stadium right away.  Whoever is buying the team needs to have a plan in place to build a stadium with their own $$$.

That's a tough ask, but it's necessary.  We cant go another 10 years with that trash heap of a stadium....

They'll ultimately spin it has a large scale redevelopment project, get the city to pay for a big chunk of it, and finance a ton of the rest. They might only need like $500m cash for a $3b+ project. 

1 hour ago, burgngold fan said:

Why do I care!  Really, did I offend you with my question?  I really don’t care who owns the team.  As long as they can afford to run it.  I personally would like everyone to call Snyder’s bluff and give him a take or leave it offer!  I really don’t think he can afford not to sell.  

what I don’t want to see happen is that they spend so much getting the team, that they will not be able to actually run it properly.  In that case we will remain in the same boat as fans, while Dan run’s laughing all the way to the bank!   

big name actors, rap stars, and basketball players I care nothing about!   To me that just seems like a lot of fluff!  

Offend me? I literally wrote that I was asking it sincerely. I don't know how else that could've been communicated.

And so you do care but you don't? As long as they're not house poor once buying the team?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

They'll ultimately spin it has a large scale redevelopment project, get the city to pay for a big chunk of it, and finance a ton of the rest. They might only need like $500m cash for a $3b+ project. 

They could do that, but that'll take time... time that this franchise can't afford to take.

So I'd much rather see the NFL insist on the purchasing party having a stadium plan (without relying on fickle politicians to agree to play for it)

“It’s $20 a ticket, you’re near the Metro, you’re [near] Downtown D.C. It’s a smaller stadium, you’ve got a younger fan base,” Whelan said before the Week 4 game. “… I think it’s just a better environment [than Washington Commanders games], and the product that [the Commanders have], it’s not where it should be.”

The opportunity to embrace a fresh fan experience is appealing to many who claim the Commanders as their NFL team but have grown frustrated with team owner Daniel Snyder over the years. In 2020, one fan brought a “SELL THE TEAM DAN” banner to Audi Field. This year, with Snyder exploring a sale of the franchise, fans have made their feelings clear through expletive-laden chants about Snyder at the past two Defenders home games.

“On the sideline, we were like, ‘Are they really saying this?’” Sails said. “We were all kind of shocked. We were like, ‘Bro, we have to have the best fan base in the XFL. We have to.’”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/03/21/dc-defenders-beer-snake-xfl/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

The prospective owners aren't stupid and they're privy of the PR headache it would be if Snyder retained ANY stake in the team. They know they have to take 100% away from him. I wouldn't sweat it.

Nobody smart enough to have made billions of dollars for themselves would go into business with Dan in even a small way, now.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 2