Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

4 hours ago, Command The 414 said:

but that approach could back fire on the Snyders imho

This is basically Dan Snyder's entire career summarized in one sentence.

It never ceases to amaze me how someone so cartoonishly inept somehow became a billionaire.

It's like Mr. Magoo managing to win an olympic archery tournament.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Haha 8

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://billypenn.com/2023/01/20/sixers-owners-commanders-harris-blitzer-holdings/

As Sixers managing partners Josh Harris and David Blitzer work to build their own arena in Center City, they’re also looking to expand their sports franchise holdings to the NFL — and rumors have surfaced of a potential new target.

Alongside Amazon mogul Jeff Bezos, Harris is reportedly a “top candidate” to buy the Washington Commanders.

Yes, the same team that dashed the Eagles’ dreams at a perfect season this year — from the same city where many say a downtown basketball arena decimated Chinatown culture.

This is not a good sign. Josh Harris is the shortest guy in the pic in that link. We have just spent 20+ miserable years finding out what inferiority complexes can do to owners who are the shortest guy in the room. 

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Confused 3

If Dan really does want to freeze Bezos out of the running and spite him, easiest thing to do is conclude a sale with Harris as quickly as possible. 

I think we’ll get news on this before or during the upcoming owners meeting next week with a view towards formal conclusion May.

5 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

I've never wished genuine ill will on someone.

That above statement used to be true.

I’ve always said I’ve never felt the actual emotion of hatred. We use that word a lot and I wonder how many people have actually ever truly felt that emotion before. It’s very strong and not to be taken lightly. 

I tell my children not to use that word and to measure it carefully. What they call hatred could be temporary dissatisfaction or just not liking something. I don’t think they’ve ever really hated anything before. 

I ****ing hate Dan Snyder.

Not jealousy. Not envy. Not covet. Pure. ****ing. Hatred.

He took something that was so special to our collective community in a very influential time in my life, something that needed TLC and not only ran it into the ground, but allegedly used it as his own piggy bank.

I hate Dan Snyder.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

If Dan really does want to freeze Bezos out of the running and spite him, easiest thing to do is conclude a sale with Harris as quickly as possible. 

I think we’ll get news on this before or during the upcoming owners meeting next week with a view towards formal conclusion May.

The sale would’ve happened if Dan got the price he wanted.  If nothing is announced in the next week; then it’s likely the bidders haven’t reached Dan’s selling price.

I don’t think anything happens in the next week. This sale is on Dan’s timeline not what everyone else wants.

We are probably close but Dan’s probably trying to squeeze more out of the bidders.

32 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The sale would’ve happened if Dan got the price he wanted.  If nothing is announced in the next week; then it’s likely the bidders haven’t reached Dan’s selling price.

I don’t think anything happens in the next week. This sale is on Dan’s timeline not what everyone else wants.

We are probably close but Dan’s probably trying to squeeze more out of the bidders.

I actually think it has a lot to do with the complexity of the process. Valuing assets and dealing with Dan's indemnity clause, other pending legal issues and any other associated "Dan" baggage. Im pretty sure that negotiating anything with Dan is a nightmare to begin with. Just trying to get hold of him, which Im sure goes through several lawyers and business managers for an answer on various issues must be a pain in the ass.

Edited by Chris 44
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

This sale is on Dan’s timeline not what everyone else wants.

I don’t fully buy that. I think he’s clearly a major influence. I also think the league has a major influence, and the combination of ongoing off matters/investigations are a factor.

I reckon you’re giving Dan too much credit in terms of being in control. He’s screwed and on his way out. Yes he’ll push in terms of price, ultimately the axe is going to fall whether he likes it or not. Various other things/factors are being lined up IMO.

Roger and his band of cronies want the least amount of noise/fallout from this that they can possibly influence. Dan is simply a part in that game too.

Breer

From Bruce Bates (@batesbruce): What are the chances of the new Commanders owner doing a rebrand of the team name

Bruce, very doubtful. Per the rules, the Commanders can’t even change their uniforms until 2027. And it’s been a year. To me, the jury’s out on the name, for now. I know I personally need some time before deciding whether I’m in on it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/22/panthers-first-no-1-draft-pick-decision-young-stroud-qb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Acworth skins fan said:

As stated a few times in this thread, Dan is 1 billion in debt. So 1B of the sale minis is gone, taxes will take another 2 1/2- 3 B. if the bids are just above the broncos money it doesn’t leave a ton of money left🤣🤣🤣, of course he wants to get the most possible 

Taxes won't be more than $1.5B at $6B sale, and will actually be closer to $1B even. It'll be long term capital gains less his cost basis (probably closer to $1B when you factor in this last buyout).  

So he's skating off into the sunset with $3-4B net after taxes if and when the deal goes down. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer

From Bruce Bates (@batesbruce): What are the chances of the new Commanders owner doing a rebrand of the team name

Bruce, very doubtful. Per the rules, the Commanders can’t even change their uniforms until 2027. And it’s been a year. To me, the jury’s out on the name, for now. I know I personally need some time before deciding whether I’m in on it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/22/panthers-first-no-1-draft-pick-decision-young-stroud-qb

For ****s sake. We gotta play in Tanya's dollar store uniforms for 5 more years?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer

I mean it is an NFL rule and not from some supranational organization. If there are good reasons, and I would argue the reason to kickstart a new post-Snyder era in Washington is a good one, I don't see why the NFL would not be willing to make an exception. 

I do think that the new owner has his hands full with other things though. So a re-brand might not be a top priority, especially in the beginning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CobraCommander said:

For ****s sake. We gotta play in Tanya's dollar store uniforms for 5 more years?

I just have a hard time seeing the league NOT granting an exception here. Our situation is unprecedented and certainly warrants it.  

One final rebrand. Done correctly.  Then let's go WIN some damn games. 

Edit: @Panninho beat me to it. Great minds. 

Edited by LetThePointsSoar
  • Like 6

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Breer

3 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I don't see people magically coming around on the name by 2027.  

Winning counts a lot for merch sales, so if the team is winning by then, there might be an uptick in sales of Commanders gear.  But I can't ever imagine it being in the top half of jerseys, tshirts, hats, etc sold unless we have a transcendent talent like a Mahomes.

If the gear sales are in the bottom third of all teams by 2027 and the team is performing well and the new ownership is well embraced, I think there's a reasonable claim to get rid of the Commanders ****.

Speaking strictly for myself, I've vowed never to purchase any official Commanders apparel while Dan is the owner but I think it looks so ****ing terrible and stupid that I don't know if I ever will.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

I just have a hard time seeing the league NOT granting an exception here. Our situation is unprecedented and certainly warrants it.  

One final rebrand. Done correctly.  Then let's go WIN some damn games. 

Edit: @Panninho beat me to it. Great minds. 

Count me as a fan that does not look forward to going through that whole process again. In this day and age you will never appease people to the point of a consensus on a name. Far from what would have been my first choice but Im fine with Commanders.....just give me a well run, respected, competent organization.

• Like 2

There are NFL rules that prevent the rapid changing of uniforms and constant rebrands over short intervals of time. Your usually not allowed to change your uniform except every several years. Without these rules teams would re-fresh their uniforms every year to get people to buy more product. That being said.

A.) Our own situation already demonstrates that these rules have exceptions as we went from Redskins>WFT>Commanders in 2 years.

and more importantly

B.) The rules regarding change have written in exception for when a team undergoes an ownership change. If a new owner wants to rebrand, those rules that prevent a normal owner form continuously changing their gear can be avoided.

Long story short, if a new owner wants to rebrand, they can rebrand.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

Not that I really care about the uniforms, but change of ownership is an example of extenuating circumstance in the rule allowing for the commissioner's exemption.  If the new owner really wants the change, I'm sure Goodell will approve.  Personally, I don't think it's that big a deal.  If the on field product improves, it cures all ills.  If on field product stinks, nothing else matters.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The whispers from those whose voices are probably hoarse by now is that Josh Harris and his group are nearing the finish line on a deal with Skipper Dan the Sailing Man to purchase the Washington Commanders.

Many have been reporting Harris has the inside track, and an offer expected to be in the neighborhood of $6 billion could be announced any day now, though it may take a few months to get approval by NFL owners. That’s what my sources have told me as well.

Of course, this is a race controlled by Skipper Dan, which means any number of things could go wrong before the finish line — lame horses, fixed jockeys or some other calamity.

Remember, Skipper Dan has a championship pedigree of pettiness. The truth is Skipper Dan would just as soon continue sailing the world as the owner of the Washington Commanders.

Also, Amazon boss Jeff Bezos may come out of the homestretch and blow by Harris. He has the money to do so. What we don’t know is if he has the true desire.

I know the reports have been that Skipper Dan has frozen Bezos out of the bidding because of the negative coverage of the owner from Bezos’ paper, the Washington Post. But it’s hard to believe that the NFL will let Snyder keep Bezos out of the mix if he really wants in. Bezos is an important business partner of the league, paying $1 billion a year to broadcast NFL games Thursday nights on his Amazon Prime network.

For now, though, all indications are that Harris, his partner, local business leader and philanthropist Mitchell Rales — along with NBA legend Magic Johnson, who recently joined the effort — and any other celebrity investors Harris has roped in — are on the verge of becoming the owners of the Commanders. That will certainly set off a celebration among Washington’s remaining few fans and among the many estranged ones who have been waiting for Skipper Dan’s banishment.

Part of that celebration will be about the rekindling of hope that the team can finally get back to negotiating on a new stadium with Maryland or Virginia — or even the District. 

District at the old RFK Stadium site.

Maryland wants to tear down Ghost Town Field and build a new facility right next door. Virginia has floated a couple of proposals. But the sentimental move — and the one that makes the most business sense — is the District. Now that the objectionable name that city leaders hated has been changed, and without the political baggage of Skipper Dan, the prospects of bringing the team in from the suburbs — perhaps even returning to the old RFK Stadium site —would be considerably improved.

There will remain significant roadblocks.

The D.C. Council has been opposed to the notion of another football stadium at that location no matter who the owner of the team is (though the land is federally owned). Plus the neighborhood is opposed as well, and that neighborhood is filled with lobbyists and lawyers and Capitol Hill workers who know how to fight City Hall.     

Even if those hurdles are overcome, it is important to note that there is no public money to actually build the stadium. There is the land, and there may be a willingness to pay for infrastructure. But the billions it will take for construction will have to come from ownership.

That may be a challenge for Harris and company. He is already involved in an effort to build a new $1.3 billion arena project in Philadelphia for his Philadelphia 76ers. Planning, building and financing two new sports facilities is a massive undertaking.

The 76ers are tired of being tenants at the Wells Fargo Center and Harris and his partner, David Blitzer, are looking to build a new arena in Center City Philadelphia — specifically the city’s Chinatown neighborhood. They have a partner in the deal in Philadelphia billionaire David Adelman.

They are running into strong opposition from local businesses and residents who believe the arena would wipe out their neighborhood.

The Philadelphia Chinatown Development Corporation has come out in opposition, saying the plan “deeply imperils the future of Chinatown.” Ironically, they are citing Capital One Arena — which by most measures here has been considered a success in transforming downtown Washington — as their example of development causing the destruction of a neighborhood.

“Stadiums have had a gentrifying impact on low-income communities of color across the country — Los Angeles, Seattle, New York City, Atlanta, and the list goes on,” the corporation said in a statement. “The Capital One Arena in Washington DC contributed to the demise of the city’s Chinatown. We will not allow Philadelphia Chinatown to be another one of these tragic stories.”

If Harris is the new Commanders owner and attempts to move forward quickly with the effort to build a new stadium in the District, he will be fighting for new sports facilities on two fronts. That’s more than a full plate financially and politically.

Bezos wouldn’t have that same challenge and, as many have acknowledged, appears to easily have the financial resources to handle the costs of a new stadium. But it is worth noting that Amazon announced earlier this month that it is stopping construction of some buildings at its second headquarters in Arlington.

Amazon also laid off a small city recently — 27,000 employees in the last six months.

The big dream remains a new owner for the Commanders, no matter who it is. The smaller dream is a return to the site of their glory at the RFK Stadium site. The first dream coming true does not guarantee the second one will follow.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I don't see people magically coming around on the name by 2027.  

Winning counts a lot for merch sales, so if the team is winning by then, there might be an uptick in sales of Commanders gear.  But I can't ever imagine it being in the top half of jerseys, tshirts, hats, etc sold unless we have a transcendent talent like a Mahomes.

If the gear sales are in the bottom third of all teams by 2027 and the team is performing well and the new ownership is well embraced, I think there's a reasonable claim to get rid of the Commanders ****.

Speaking strictly for myself, I've vowed never to purchase any official Commanders apparel while Dan is the owner but I think it looks so ****ing terrible and stupid that I don't know if I ever will.  

I'd say there's a strong chance the vast majority of people won't care about the name if the team starts to win. The name's suckiness has only been exacerbated because the team isn't great. 

Thom Loverro should work on dropping a few pounds so he doesn't drop from a massive heart attack while trying to climb the stairs in the press box instead of pretending to know what it takes to lobby for a new stadium where RFK stands.

While some of his ideas are correct (specifically the roadblocks in getting the Commies back in the city) to pretend that Harris & Co will have a tough time juggling two arenas being built for two teams is silly.  It's not as if Harris and Harris alone is the only one doing the work there. 

Just win, baby, to borrow a phrase.  Quite frankly, if the Commies go on a Patriots like run over the next 20 years, I don't give a Frenchman's **** where they play.  Yeah, Fed Ex will always be a piece of **** but at least we'll have some shiny new hardware.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

The whispers from those whose voices are probably hoarse by now is that Josh Harris and his group are nearing the finish line on a deal with Skipper Dan the Sailing Man to purchase the Washington Commanders.

Many have been reporting Harris has the inside track, and an offer expected to be in the neighborhood of $6 billion could be announced any day now, though it may take a few months to get approval by NFL owners. That’s what my sources have told me as well.

the hurdle with DC from what I understand is two fold.

A.  the biggest hurdle is for Congress to relinquish the land.  It's weird to me that Loverro doesn't even mention it in the mix here but unless something changed, that's challenge #1.

B.  To get DC as the landing spot - politicians-constituents approve it. 

From what some have said, and i mentioned here, Mitchell Rales, not so much Josh Harris would be the key to this via his network.  

Keim has said regardless of the new owner the three areas here's heard for the stadium -- DC, Loudon County, current Fedex property.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Professor_Nutter_Butter said:

I'd say there's a strong chance the vast majority of people won't care about the name if the team starts to win. The name's suckiness has only been exacerbated because the team isn't great. 

Yeah, but it would still be a Dan Snyder skidmark on a fresh pair of BVDs.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1