Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

Somewhat off-topic, but interesting in respect of how sports are run (and AFAIK the EPL is about half the size in revenue of the NFL)

Football regulator: UK government confirms new independent body - BBC Sport

"The main purposes of the proposed new regulator will be:

• Stopping English clubs from joining closed-shop competitions, which are judged to harm the domestic game
  • Preventing a repeat of financial failings seen at numerous clubs, notably the collapses of Bury and Macclesfield
  • Introducing a more stringent owners' and directors' test to protect clubs and fans
  • Giving fans power to stop owners changing a club's name, badge and traditional kit colours
  • Ensuring a fair distribution of money filters down the English football pyramid from the Premier League"

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Harris is breaking away from the Philly sports complex where the Phillies and Eagles, Flyers, Sixers play now and building a new arena right in the heart of center city Philadelphia so I wonder where you get the info that Harris will build out in "the boonies" cause that's not what he's doing in Philly with the Sixers?

The norm for an NFL stadium now is to build it with a surrounding entertainment complex. That’s not possible at the RFK site. There isn’t sufficient space. NBA arenas tend to be more downtown located in most cities. There are enough basketball, hockey and concerts to keep most busy and profitable.  The exception is NBA arenas next to mega football complexes like what the Clippers are doing next to Sofi. Harris would be buying this as a business like his other sports businesses. For Bezos it’s a hobby and access to political power brokers in DC.

Harris is going to maximize his return on investment which means a mega complex like Dan and Jason were looking at. Best case he builds it next ro Fedex. Otherwise it will be further in the boonies. RFK is not going to provide a return on investment. Not in cash at least. For Bezos the cachet and political access might be worth not maximizing the dollars.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Redwards said:

The only thing I somewhat worry about with Harris is I've been told he's loyal to a fault.  That's a great way to lose valuable time, and in that time the parade can go by. I don't want to get stuck with an average coach like Ron in a Marvin Lewis type of tenure.  Or even a Norv Turner type tenure, which lasted at least three years too long.   I certainly don't want a knee-jerk type owner, but there's a solid middle ground that is important for an owner to reside in.  Everything else looks great about him though.

I understand that, but I'd rather have a guy who is a little too loyal than have a guy like Snyder who fired people left and right at the drop of a bag of stale airline peanuts...which is why this team has been in such a state for 20+ years.

• Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

I understand that, but I'd rather have a guy who is a little too loyal than have a guy like Snyder who fired people left and right at the drop of a bag of stale airline peanuts...which is why this team has been in such a state for 20+ years.

So, that’s a false narrative if you ask me.  I think the opposite of Snyder really with one exception: Marty.  

Otherwise, he’s hired the wrong people and kept them around for a decade.  

Vinny for 10 years of ineptitude, then Bruce for 10 years of ineptitude.  Both of them, while here, were the closest employees to Snyder’s inner circle.

Even on the coaching side, Spurrier quit, Gibbs retired.

Zorn was a horrendous hire which happened mostly because Vinny was here. Did anybody want more than 2 years of that?

since 2010, we had 4 years of Shanahan, 6 years of Jay and now going into 4 years of Ron. All with mediocre or worse results.   But 3 coaches in 14 years isn’t “firing at the drop of a bag of stake airline peanuts. “ 

I’ve always said the narrative Dan fires people at will was a media invented theme which they talked into existence.  Why, I’m not sure.  There were plenty of other actual narratives which were far worse to cling to but this one has hung around, just like “spends big on FA’s” which hasn’t happened since 2009.

The mistake was firing Marty.  Norv should have been fired by John Cooke before Dan ever bought the team.  He needed firing.  Maybe not in season but he was a terrible head coach.  

It’s much less about who or when Dan has fired people.  It’s much more about the absolute ass hat incompetent yes men wretches he’s hired and surrounded himself with. And then kept around.  Primarily Vinny and Bruce for 10 years each.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not at all interested in Bezos. Let‘a have someone who put in a bid buy the team. Bezos is another a-hole with 0 sports experience who is absolutely all about the revenue. As folks said he has a reputation for being cheap. He has billions of dollars and has been doing layoffs at the Post (like getting rid of the whole Sunday mag and all its staff, including Pulitzer Prize winners) after a non-profitable year. He bought it 10 years ago for $250m and excellent staff have also been leaving the now click-bait first culture the whole time. If that’s how he handles “saving the Post,” no thanks saving our team. I know people who worked for Amazon during his reign and they hated it. He does not treat his employees well - it’s all about putting money in his pocket. This same guy spends millions himself a seat on a rocket to launch himself into space. I’d rather not trade Snyder for this dude. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 5

21 minutes ago, filmjoy said:

I am not at all interested in Bezos. Let‘a have someone who put in a bid buy the team. Bezos is another a-hole with 0 sports experience who is absolutely all about the revenue.

I understand what you're saying and have my concerns too. I really don't know if he would be a good owner or not. If he stayed out of the way and let his people do their jobs I am good with it. If he thinks he knows it all and interferes I would have a problem with that. I am leaning more to Josh Harris who has a track record as a good owner. Even if he needs minority ownership there is nothing wrong with that. Just hire good people, not a racquetball buddy and let them do their job

• Like 4

2 hours ago, filmjoy said:

I am not at all interested in Bezos. Let‘a have someone who put in a bid buy the team. Bezos is another a-hole with 0 sports experience who is absolutely all about the revenue. As folks said he has a reputation for being cheap. He has billions of dollars and has been doing layoffs at the Post (like getting rid of the whole Sunday mag and all its staff, including Pulitzer Prize winners) after a non-profitable year. He bought it 10 years ago for $250m and excellent staff have also been leaving the now click-bait first culture the whole time. If that’s how he handles “saving the Post,” no thanks saving our team. I know people who worked for Amazon during his reign and they hated it. He does not treat his employees well - it’s all about putting money in his pocket. This same guy spends millions himself a seat on a rocket to launch himself into space. I’d rather not trade Snyder for this dude. 

I was thinking maybe you had a couple of decent points there, but then I got to the end and OMG. You would seriously rather keep Snyder over Bezos?? WTF 🤮🤮🤮

• Haha 5

Front Office Sports article from this past November. A reminder, of the expected time-line and that the investigations should not hinder a speedy sale of the franchise. 

https://frontofficesports.com/investigations-wont-likely-hinder-a-speedy-commanders-sale/

While the Denver Broncos’ $4.65 billion sale earlier this year dragged on due to lawsuits and an auction, the previous NFL franchise to change hands — the Carolina Panthers — took only five months. 

That 156-day span covered the time founding Panthers owner Jerry Richardson put the team up for sale in December 2017 to the owners approving the $2.275 billion purchase by hedge fund manager David Tepper in May 2018. 

NFL Network and Fox Sports reported Sunday that the sale could be ready for a vote for the NFL’s annual meeting in Phoenix on March 26 — or 144 days since Snyder first signaled a potential sale on Wednesday.

But there’s no rush since the NFL can schedule a special meeting for the owners to gather to vote after the finance committee approves the sale, which is how Rob Walton’s purchase of the Broncos was approved in August. 

Richardson was motivated to sell after Sports Illustrated reported allegations of workplace misconduct. Like Snyder, Richardson was the focus of an independent investigation initiated by the NFL as the sale progressed. 

Snyder, however, beyond the NFL’s current probe led by former SEC chief Mary Jo White also faces investigations by the Justice Department and the House Oversight Committee, as well as probes led by the attorneys general in Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. Sources told FOS those inquiries are unlikely to derail the sale of the Commanders and, in fact, could keep a quicker sale on track.

Snyder will likely have to put a fairly significant amount into an escrow account. The escrow money would cover any monetary penalties or damages that arise from those investigations. 

Beyond escrow, sports law attorney Dan Lust told FOS that he’d recommend other legal carveouts to properly indemnify the incoming owners of the team to account for the pending investigations at the federal and state level.

“You would have to demand that of Snyder given what could be lurking around the corner,” said Lust, co-host of the Conduct Detrimental podcast and an attorney at the firm Moritt Hock & Hamroff. 

In July 2021, the Commanders were fined $10 million after the NFL’s first investigation headed by former assistant U.S. Attorney Beth Wilkinson. It’s not clear when White will conclude her investigation, which is focused both on a claim of harassment made against Snyder and financial improprieties.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, actorguy1 said:

But there’s no rush since the NFL can schedule a special meeting for the owners to gather to vote after the finance committee approves the sale, which is how Rob Walton’s purchase of the Broncos was approved in August. 

Sooner the better and all that jazz, but that is a great nugget of info right there. I didn't know that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Unless Bezos swoops in with a bid in the next week or two, doubtful this happens in time to be approved for Spring meetings that start on 3/26

Why are you so stuck on spring meetings? They can approve the sale at anytime.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bh32 said:

Why are you so stuck on spring meetings? They can approve the sale at anytime.

Yes, they can approve anytime but you would like to have a new owner during this offseason- free agency/draft. So, the new owner can make his imprint in the 23 season.   

That’s why everyone is checking this thread daily.

A later sale, which seems likely; means the 23 offseason will be solely under Ron and his gms.

Lamar Jackson to the Commanders?

https://sports.yahoo.com/lamar-jackson-commanders-105723884.html

Here comes the interesting part.

“Second, if you go non-exclusive franchise tag, that’s when a team like the Commanders could say, “hey, we’re drafting fairly low this year, we almost made the playoffs last year, yeah, we’ll give up two first-round picks to get Lamar Jackson. We’ll do it; we’ll do it.'”

In addition to Florio explaining Rivera’s words about Howell, he has a theory regarding owner Dan Snyder.

With Snyder potentially selling the franchise, pursuing a big-name quarterback doesn’t make sense. Florio thinks it could, and it all comes down to Snyder’s vindictiveness. Snyder understands the other NFL owners were upset with the fully guaranteed contract Jimmy Haslam and the Cleveland Browns gave Deshaun Watson last year. So, this would be the ultimate middle finger to the rest of the league to provide Jackson with a fully-guaranteed deal, sell the team and leave the next owner to deal with Jackson’s contract. 

While this all appears unlikely, the part about Snyders vindictiveness isn’t far-fetched.

15 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So, that’s a false narrative if you ask me.  I think the opposite of Snyder really with one exception: Marty.  

Otherwise, he’s hired the wrong people and kept them around for a decade.  

Vinny for 10 years of ineptitude, then Bruce for 10 years of ineptitude.  Both of them, while here, were the closest employees to Snyder’s inner circle.

Even on the coaching side, Spurrier quit, Gibbs retired.

Zorn was a horrendous hire which happened mostly because Vinny was here. Did anybody want more than 2 years of that?

since 2010, we had 4 years of Shanahan, 6 years of Jay and now going into 4 years of Ron. All with mediocre or worse results.   But 3 coaches in 14 years isn’t “firing at the drop of a bag of stake airline peanuts. “ 

I’ve always said the narrative Dan fires people at will was a media invented theme which they talked into existence.  Why, I’m not sure.  There were plenty of other actual narratives which were far worse to cling to but this one has hung around, just like “spends big on FA’s” which hasn’t happened since 2009.

The mistake was firing Marty.  Norv should have been fired by John Cooke before Dan ever bought the team.  He needed firing.  Maybe not in season but he was a terrible head coach.  

It’s much less about who or when Dan has fired people.  It’s much more about the absolute ass hat incompetent yes men wretches he’s hired and surrounded himself with. And then kept around.  Primarily Vinny and Bruce for 10 years each.  

I probably should have specified that I wasn't just talking about head coaches or even assistants. The turnover rate at Tuddy Park has been extremely high compared to those of other NFL teams, which means the team can't keep good talent in the front office. True, that doesn't determine what happens on the field, but it says a lot about how toxic the organization is due to Snyder's pettiness. Snyder is a jock-sniffer who pays the players well but then hands out bags of apples in lieu of bonuses at Xmas to front office staffers...a real class move.

11 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Yes, they can approve anytime but you would like to have a new owner during this offseason- free agency/draft. So, the new owner can make his imprint in the 23 season.   

A later sale, which seems likely; means the 23 offseason will be solely under Ron and his gms.

And the bolded is your real answer @bh32  @88Comrade2000 is certain that Ron will be fired by the new owner almost immediately. This only due to thier own true hate of Ron R despite the mny good things he has done for the team overall. Yes, he has hosed up QB - which may not be true of Sam H works out. But building a very good roster overall and being almsot .500 with said ****ty QBs is not enough. 

Ron R is not going anywhere in 2023 even if the team is sold by the Owners meeting. 

8 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

Lamar Jackson to the Commanders?

https://sports.yahoo.com/lamar-jackson-commanders-105723884.html

Here comes the interesting part.

“Second, if you go non-exclusive franchise tag, that’s when a team like the Commanders could say, “hey, we’re drafting fairly low this year, we almost made the playoffs last year, yeah, we’ll give up two first-round picks to get Lamar Jackson. We’ll do it; we’ll do it.'”

In addition to Florio explaining Rivera’s words about Howell, he has a theory regarding owner Dan Snyder.

With Snyder potentially selling the franchise, pursuing a big-name quarterback doesn’t make sense. Florio thinks it could, and it all comes down to Snyder’s vindictiveness. Snyder understands the other NFL owners were upset with the fully guaranteed contract Jimmy Haslam and the Cleveland Browns gave Deshaun Watson last year. So, this would be the ultimate middle finger to the rest of the league to provide Jackson with a fully-guaranteed deal, sell the team and leave the next owner to deal with Jackson’s contract. 

While this all appears unlikely, the part about Snyders vindictiveness isn’t far-fetched.

League has to approve all trades. With the team changing hands it would be clear it's just a **** you move. League would reject. Not that Dan wouldn;t try but league has the ability to stop it. 

Edited by goskins10

8 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

It was always gonna be Ron and his Gms for 2023..Anyone thinking other wise is just setting their selfs up for disappointment. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, filmjoy said:

While I don't know if Bezos would be a good owner or not, the co-relation between how he choses to spend his personal wealth and laying off people at the Post is misguided. Businesses/companies have to be profitable to be able to stay in existence and sometimes hard decisions like layoffs have to be made. He can't take money from one well performing business (Amazon) and pour that into keeping another one like WAPO afloat. You think he scaled Amazon to what it is today by not treating his employees well?  When you employ as many people as Amazon does, there will always be a few loud minority that will complain. You can find similar complaints about Microsoft, Walmart and others.