Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders > Colts

KDawg

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I just don't buy the "we can't afford to keep our entire DL" argument. The contracts are gonna be well staggered out. If Payne were to sign a long term deal, it'd be two years after Allen. Sweat we wouldn't have to resign until 2024, which by then Allen's deal I believe expires anyway. Young we could wait until 2025. We're not talking about signing four guys all in the same off season.

And also, its not like we're flooded with a bunch of star players we need to resign. Who exactly are we saving the money for? We already resigned McLaurin. The only other guy that's coming up is probably Curl and even then he's not a FA until 2024. And we don't have a QB that's gonna be making a lot of money, especially after we most likely cut Wentz and draft a QB(Heinicke won't cost much even if he's the placeholder starter).

I mean we've seen the Bucs win a Super Bowl and bring the whole team back. The rams won a Super Bowl and ADDED expensive pieces like Allen Robinson and Bobby Wagner. There are no excuses.

We can afford but we shouldnt. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

The DL has been good all year.

I don't think Del Rio did anything but benching Jackson and moving St. Juste to the outside has been a huge improvement. Not only is Juste better physically, he doesn't get confused nearly as much.

Having Curl return after missing the first two games has been huge too. He is PFF's highest rated Safety and adds a legitimate force on the back end that can clean up near the LoS.

Davis is playing better. I think the game is simply slowing down for him. Holcomb has always been in that range of decent to pretty good when he isn't asked to also be the captain and Curl coming back has helped alleviate some of that pressure.

One pushback. I think the DL got very pressure up until 3 weeks ago - and what comes along with that - no turnovers.

I think since we are getting pressure up front the past 3 weeks so using a lot of man has worked. With our investments in the front 4 we should be able to stop the run and we have.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/sack-pct

NFL Team Sack Percentage

Season:                                                                          2003                                                                         2004                                                                         2005                                                                         2006                                                                         2007                                                                         2008                                                                         2009                                                                         2010                                                                         2011                                                                         2012                                                                         2013                                                                         2014                                                                         2015                                                                         2016                                                                         2017                                                                         2018                                                                         2019                                                                         2020                                                                         2021                                                                         2022                                                         
Date: 
Rank Team 2022 Last 3 Last 1 Home Away 2021
1 Dallas 11.22% 14.77% 14.29% 10.92% 11.67% 6.05%
2 San Francisco 9.29% 5.68% 5.71% 8.00% 10.32% 8.30%
3 Tampa Bay 8.50% 6.25% 7.32% 8.16% 8.84% 6.28%
4 Buffalo 8.17% 6.15% 6.25% 6.19% 9.72% 7.13%
5 Philadelphia 7.88% 5.51% 13.04% 7.55% 8.27% 5.01%
6 Washington 7.81% 7.61% 8.00% 6.80% 9.02% 5.98%
7 New England 7.80% 8.55% 4.65% 10.53% 6.50% 6.01%
8 Denver 7.79% 5.79% 6.06% 10.67% 5.06% 6.02%
9 Minnesota 7.72% 9.68% 8.33% 6.45% 9.40% 7.53%
10 Seattle 7.53% 10.53% 13.89% 10.96% 4.11% 4.91%

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The happy news is nice, but I'm still going to hold back on any strong feelings about anyone on the team until we've taken on the Vikings and Eagles. The Bears were shoddy, the Packers have been a shell of themselves all season, the Colts benched their QB and went straight to the third string rookie because of how awful their offense looked. How's our defense going to look again when it meets an offense that puts the pedal to the metal?

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

The happy news is nice, but I'm still going to hold back on any strong feelings about anyone on the team until we've taken on the Vikings and Eagles. The Bears were shoddy, the Packers have been a shell of themselves all season, the Colts benched their QB and went straight to the third string rookie because of how awful their offense looked. How's our defense going to look again when it meets an offense that puts the pedal to the metal?

Yeah, I think we should learn from the false confidence we had from 2020’s defensive performance.

They are about to face two teams with some elite offensive weapons in Jefferson and AJ Brown, which will be the real test.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I think we should learn from the false confidence we had from 2020’s defensive performance.

They are about to face two teams with some elite offensive weapons in Jefferson and AJ Brown, which will be the real test.

AND tj hockenson as well, on Sunday 

22 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is where I’m at as well.  I mean, I do think they’re pretty decent at minimum, but I think we have several guys that are… ok.  St Juste (though I like his trajectory), Wildgoose, Fuller, McCain and whoever’s manning DE (Obada, Toohill, JSW) opposite Sweat at any given time.

I also don’t have high hopes for the offense helping the defense out.  Maybe they can move the ball against the Vikes, but I’d be surprised if we can do much against PHI.

I’m interested to see how this next game goes from a sample size perspective (on both sides of the ball).

Advanced stats say he was a bum in man too. He wasn't an anything corner.

He got his money and stopped caring. When people put on film and say he's not even bothering to line up correctly with leverage then he's checked out.

Can't play man, can't play zone, can't line up in press, can't line up in off, can't back pedal, can't shuffle, can't play.

Rivera shouldn't have tossed in the evaluation wrong bit.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ridgeway was a pleasant surprise as NT on Sunday.  He really handled the Center and then shed him to assist in tackles.

I remain bewildered by the low number of DT's on the roster (as opposed to DE).  Allen and Payne getting 80%+ in defensive snaps is not a good, sustainable model.  Defensive strategy for DT health should not be 🤞 🤞

:229:The Rook

17 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Ridgeway was a pleasant surprise as NT on Sunday.  He really handled the Center and then shed him to assist in tackles.

I remain bewildered by the low number of DT's on the roster (as opposed to DE).  Allen and Payne getting 80%+ in defensive snaps is not a good, sustainable model.  Defensive strategy for DT health should not be 🤞 🤞

Yeah for as bad as it looks their moves on the O line, D line looks good.  Ridgeway, Obada, and doubling down with Wise is looking good.  While they miscalculated on the O line, they did a nice job on the D line.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

FYI Dax Milne barely played while Sims played most of the game. If your frustrations were towards the 3rd WR not producing, then it should be directed at Sims.

We need Dotson back. Badly.

nope, my frustrations are his punt returning skills and decisions in the past and that non-effort when blocking for the screen to terry. the only positive i can say is he didn't muff any punts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

we have one more DE than DT, and I think Jame Smith Williams takes some snaps at DT

3 hours ago, MrJL said:

we have one more DE than DT, and I think Jame Smith Williams takes some snaps at DT

If you track the defensive snaps, there have been 8 players who have taken snaps at DE, one player at NT and only 4 listed as DT.  That is the disconnect I am referencing.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2022-snap-counts.htm

On 10/31/2022 at 6:40 PM, zCommander said:

so. It is the same OL Taylor has to play with.

Actually it’s not.

Martin was starting at center and rolling balls back to the QB when he wasn’t getting demolished.  

Also, Turner was starting earlier and playing so badly he was benched.  Coaches don’t bench OL because the QB is bad.  Also, Cosmi was playing instead of Lucas.  

The OL Wentz played behind was appreciably worse by the eye test, PFF scores (for whoever cares about those things) and what the coaches did.  Also, they played 3 of the better DLs (Dallas, Philly, Tenn) and got whollopped.

I get that you’re on cloud 9 because your buddy got lucky and you are blind to it.  But the OL struggles were real.  If TH played behind the early season Wentz line he would have had the same issues. If Tom Brady played behind that line, he would have had the same issues.  I will grant TH could probably have escaped a couple sacks with his mobility.  And Brady maybe gets the ball out quicker.  But neither would lead to anything better than disaster.

The Jackson is a man guy and not a zone guy IMO is overplayed.  They did adjust their defense and did play more man when they acquired him.  I just think Jackson isn't.a good player -- simple as that.  It opened my eyes watching Jackson play man against Terry through much of camp -- it was actually a joke watching it -- to say Terry owned Jackson would be an understatement.

Culliver, Jackson, Norman -- heck even Fuller -- this team isn't hot at signing FA corners for big momey.

• Like 1