Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders > Colts

KDawg

My initial thoughts are:

Our defense is really good, really coming into their own. 

The line is playing exceptional and generated pressure seemingly on every play.

Jamin Davis is NOT a bust. 

St Juste, Curl, and Forrest are all good players on rookie deals in the secondary. Need a true ball hawk to join them, but this is the best secondary we’ve fielded in a while and it’s not because of Fuller and WJ3.

Chase coming back could be an additional boost that takes us to next level.

The offense is equally as frustrating. They get creative once in a while and it works, but they really struggle to extend drives throughout the game. I don’t think this is just a QB thing, I think it’s a scheming and game planning issue as well. 

Right now the offense isn’t good enough to be a true contender, and potentially could waste this awesome D coming together. I’m hopeful though that getting Dotson back and some momentum from the 3 game win streak helps them play a little looser and open up with more scoring drives earlier in the game. 

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

We're getting to the point we're the three priorities this offseason are dumping WJ3 and Fuller, taking that money to help the oline, and replacing Scott Turner.

No way in hell would I have thought JDR would outlast Turner here coming into this season.  But he's not jus making it work with scraps.

The young players he helped bring in and had input on drafting are playing better as a whole then the folks Turner has had a hand in brining in.

This Colts game has to be the nail in the coffin for commenting that reality. Defense did everything it could to keep that a football game for Turner's hand picked yourney to heave a 50-50 ball to win it.  

Edited by Renegade7

Armani Rogers might be our Antonio Gates in a couple years. Maybe....

My only regret is that Lord Farquaad prevailed over Ned Stark.

Our OL needs work.

McLaurin is going to end up like Fitzgerald, with his career stats severely hampered by a succession of bad QBs. Fitz would have retired the all time leader in about every category if he had been drafted by NE or GB.  Terry might have HoF potential, but it'll never be realized.

• Like 2

The defense is Young and a legitimate #1 CB away from potentially being a top of the league unit.

Offense needs....a lot of work. But Heinicke magic and McLaurin's brilliance can steal some wins.

Love that we're using Gibson in space more and as a receiver. I think him and Robinson as a duo can work. Kinda makes McKissic redundant though, I'd look to try to trade him.

OL needs a complete overhaul in the off season.

38 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Is beating the Colts by 1 point on a game-winning drive really a marker of turning the corner?  The Colts didn't even play the QB they dumped Wentz for....

This is where I'm at. We had to rip off a couple of late game scores to beat a bad team, starting a 6th rounder making his first NFL start, by one point.

The defense is playing well, but the offense is pathetic. Mediocre QB play, with an even worse offensive line, almost completely nullifies the weapons we have at the other skill positions. It's frustrating to watch. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Heinke is just impossible not to root for.

If they signed my grandmother this week and started her at quarterback it'd be hard for me not to root for her but I wouldn't be excited at our prospects of winning. 

That basically sums up my feelings for heinicke.

Love the guy, think his heart and grit are admirable but he's never going to be a good quarterback, his arm strength and accuracy are too lacking.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

If they signed my grandmother this week and started her at quarterback it'd be hard for me not to root for her but I wouldn't be excited at our prospects of winning. 

Love the guy, think his heart and grit are admirable but he's never going to be a good quarterback, his arm strength and accuracy are too lacking.

Wow! Wait until your grandma hears that you wouldn’t expect the team to win the game with her at QB!! :P 

I’m sure she’d do pretty good. Heck, the defense would be scared to sack someone’s grandma, so she would likely run for 90+ yards and a couple touchdowns 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Could you grandmother go 7-3 Like TH has done over his last 10 starts?

TH will never be a elite QB or A HOF. I think he is a good QB that somehow wins games. 

And i'll take that for this year!  

Just now, TMK9973 said:

Could you grandmother go 7-3 Like TH has done over his last 10 starts?

TH will never be a elite QB or A HOF. I think he is a good QB that somehow wins games. 

And i'll take that for this year!  

Maybe, she's got a stronger arm than heinicke. 

But no seriously, I'm just taking a step back and looking at the big picture.

Tired of this cycle of grinding out 7 or 8 nail-biting ugly wins against below average teams.

That's all your ever going to get from heinicke. 

I'll make you a promise though, if we beat the Vikings and eagles to get to 6-4 I'll be here and you can force feed me crow all you want.

I don't see it happening though, and even if we miraculously beat the Vikings with some last second heroics the eagles will kill us and we'll be that .500 team I'm talking about.

• Like 4

Good news, even after franchise tagging Daron Payne, we can get to 40-45 million cap room pretty easily. Our offseason is whatever we want to do, and the guys we cut aren't currently helping our team all that much anyways.

I think Turner needs to look at our o-line, realize some of their limitations in space, and decide not to call certain plays. Norwell is going to whiff on guys in space all day long because he's 32 and can't move like he used to. How many screens are getting blown up from LB's or S's evading Norwell in space and still closing on the ballcarrier? Too many.

The coaches need to realize that Logan Thomas isn't (right now) who he was before the injury, he should not be getting the majority of TE snaps until he shows he's healthier.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Maybe, she's got a stronger arm than heinicke. 

But no seriously, I'm just taking a step back and looking at the big picture.

Tired of this cycle of grinding out 7 or 8 nail-biting ugly wins against below average teams.

That's all your ever going to get from heinicke. 

I'll make you a promise though, if we beat the Vikings and eagles to get to 6-4 I'll be here and you can force feed me crow all you want.

I don't see it happening though, and even if we miraculously beat the Vikings with some last second heroics the eagles will kill us and we'll be that .500 team I'm talking about.

Yeah. I mean I am hoping for 1 win next two weeks and not get blown out. Eagles and viks are a combined 14-1 so its not like losing to one of them (or even both) means we are no good team. It means we lost to 2 really good teams.

Behind Wentz we lost to the lions.

In my mind, this idea that somehow we really are better of stinking for years, get top draft picks then somehow winning 14 games is not realistic.

We have had the 2nd most top 5 draft pics in the NFL the last 12 years.

We have to crawl (beat the bad teams) then walk (beat the bad and avg teams) before we can run (beat everyone).

With Wentz we were still rolling over and getting stuck on our back

• Thumb down 1

Some miscellaneous thoughts on the game....

1)  I thought Trai Turner played well.

2) Lucas, Larsen and Norwell weren't great

3) Dax Milne is a Jag.  

4) I thought the defense struggled.  Didn't like JDR's plan.  Ehlinger was way too comfy back there.   Did we blitz at all?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Some miscellaneous thoughts on the game....

1)  I thought Trai Turner played well.

2) Lucas, Larsen and Norwell weren't great

3) Dax Milne is a Jag.  

4) I thought the defense struggled.  Didn't like JDR's plan.  Ehlinger was way too comfy back there.   Did we blitz at all?  

I think they were more worried about the run than Ehlinger. I thought their kid looked pretty good not being dialed up though that fumble was pretty bad

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 1

The D was great as they have been for the past several weeks. Its again w/ the caveat of pretty pathetic opposition, but you can only play who is across from you.

That is also juxtaposed with the fact that they have to do this while carrying the Offense, so there is a bit of argument either way.

The Offense was very bad. Again.

As teams realize that we are reverting back to what we ran last year, they will pretty much load the box more and more and with TH at QB all we can do is run our rush heavy offense right into it. We are not far off from seeing the same kind of pathetic showings we saw out of last years Giants game.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

Yeah. I mean I am hoping for 1 win next two weeks and not get blown out. Eagles and viks are a combined 14-1 so its not like losing to one of them (or even both) means we are no good team. It means we lost to 2 really good teams.

Behind Wentz we lost to the lions.

In my mind, this idea that somehow we really are better of stinking for years, get top draft picks then somehow winning 14 games is not realistic.

We have had the 2nd most top 5 draft pics in the NFL the last 12 years.

We have to crawl (beat the bad teams) then walk (beat the bad and avg teams) before we can run (beat everyone).

With Wentz we were still rolling over and getting stuck on our back

This crawl walk run thing isn’t true. It’s almost always bad teams then exploding out to great teams usually coinciding with great QB play. 

48 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

You keep going back this for some reason and I’m not sure why. I’ve pointed out that it’s from trading up for Rob. It’s all based on some woeful talent building.