Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Commanders > Colts

KDawg

49 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

*exhales...tempting...I jus can't do it yet.  He has to prove he's not even the short term answer to jus let him go versus restructure. 

At this rate we may have a mid-first round pick and not enough ammo to move up even if Wentz doesnt meet the 70% threahold.  We don't have a better option yet for 2023 at least, I'll listen when we do.

I rather treat Wentz like a developmental second round pick and see what we got.  If he's serviceable, we can re-structure and get some linemen.  Regardless, RR needs to look at letting Turner go. 

Taylor is a keeper as long as he will have us or Howell/draft pick beats him out.

I like how this defense is coming together. I think this defense showed flashes in the Dallas and Eagles games too.  The problem is its tough to be a top defense with a garbage offense.

A.  If the defense is on the field all the time the oppostion has more opportunities to score and or put up yards so its going to skew your ranking in a bad way.

B.  Eventually the dam breaks and the defense gets exhausted.    For example i thought they fared very well against the Eagles in the first quarter but after 3 and out after 3 and out from the offense -- defense eventually caved

C.  A good pass rushing team feeds off of leads -- not from playing from behind.

The Colts for example loaded up on pass rushers, Mathis, Freeney, etc when Peyton was there because they knew they can feast off of leads because teams were forced to pass to catch up.

People give this defense a hard time because of the opposition.  Fine.  But the negativity on that front IMO is over the top considering this defense has a harder job than the typical defense because they get almost no help from the offense. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 8
  • Thumb up 4

As far as Turner and Heinicke go, I’d like to see them take advantage of their skill guys in exotic ways.  I loved the play design when they faked an inside handoff to Robinson and pitched it back to Samuel.  They did something similar against GB.  I’d like to see more of that.  Want to see sets with all three RBs in the backfield.  Some wildcat with Rogers.  Create some hesitation with the defense, then hit Terry on some drag routes.  They have the  gadget guys.  Use them.

• Like 1

The one major thing I want to touch on before the OP update (sorry folks, realllly busy time over here) IS Jamin Davis. A lot of folks have a lot of egg on their faces for calling him a bust. For the record I don’t mean people who preferred a different prospect where he was drafted. I mean the people that just said “bust” on repeat. Excited to see his continued development.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Lucas Oil is such a great stadium.  So many skins fans there.  Road games are so fun

I know right. just seeing some BnG peppered in away stands youre like "holy ****!" (eventually we are going to die out like neanderthals)

7 hours ago, Dark Acre said:

Is beating the Colts by 1 point on a game-winning drive really a marker of turning the corner?  The Colts didn't even play the QB they dumped Wentz for....

Our fans never really look that deep into it. Its why people got so excited 2 years ago while the other half was yelling “we didn’t play any good QBs”. 

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I havn't been around much, so I don't know if it was discussed a lot.

But ever since we signed Ridgeway, and moreso now, I been wondering if they view him as next year's replacement for Payne, if he departs FA

I havn't watched him up close, so I could be wrong

Always thought Mathis was the emergency plan, but multiple options never hurt. If we do have to move on from Payne, the more in house potential replacement you have, the better.

We have a 2nd rounder invested in Mathis so you gotta think he is gonna get PT when healthy tho.

21 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yes, is that how you'd describe the Packers as well?

You mean a a QB with a broken thumb and easily the worst Receiving group in the league and without a doubt the worst defensive coordinator in modern football in Joe Barry?

I didn't even realize before the game that Nick Foles was on the Colts.  To me that tells me the coaches are either tanking outright or they turned the page on Matt Ryan already and want to see what they have in Ehlinger so they know how to proceed going into the offseason.  Unless Foles is also hurt and/or was brought in late and isn't ready to play?  Makes no sense to me that if you are trying to win games right now that you would put in Ehlinger to debut against a good defense over Foles.  Now I am not saying the Colts win with Foles because for all we know the defense is going to perform well regardless.  The bigger issue was the offense scoring under 20 points again.   

The common trait of this offense under Heinicke seems to be lack of points, and I think a lot of it has to do with what happens once they get inside the opponents 30 and there is less open field to work with.  A lot of those zones in the flat that are cleared out by WR's are now all of a sudden occupied because there is less field to cover and you really have to be able to make some tight throws into guys that aren't wide open.  Now I have seen a few passes from Heinicke that were thrown and caught in stride, and that is somewhat of an improvement over last season, but overall I just don't get what it is people are seeing about his game right now that stands out as being much better than what we saw in 2021.

My argument for Heinicke was never that they can't win games with him, it was that there is a ceiling on how many games they can win and that getting to another 7-8 win season doesn't do a whole lot.  I am pretty sure Wentz is coming back in once he is healthy unless his injury is determined to be more serious and takes a lot longer to repair.

2 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

You mean a a QB with a broken thumb and easily the worst Receiving group in the league and without a doubt the worst defensive coordinator in modern football in Joe Barry?

Are you going to do this for every game we win?  I can't help you with that, go take some Prozac.

If you mad we losing draft position and chance to draft a real QB, tag me in the draft thread, it's Victory Monday here, dude

• Thumb up 1

27 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Always thought Mathis was the emergency plan, but multiple options never hurt. If we do have to move on from Payne, the more in house potential replacement you have, the better.

We have a 2nd rounder invested in Mathis so you gotta think he is gonna get PT when healthy tho.

Payne is at his best as a penetrating 3 tech and using him as a NT is underselling his ability. Mathis and Ridgway are both NTs who can eat up blockers to allow this team to play a lot of 5 man front

• Like 2