Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broken #1QB. Now who should start?

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

If Taylor somehow dominates behind the porous offensive line that shattered Carsons confidence and he gets us back to 500 do you auto give the keys back to Carson in a month?

Jumping the gun here but Taylor won 4 games in a row last year. We can come up with every excuse to not give him credit and its fine but every year when we are on full tilt we win a few games no one saw coming before getting our hearts pulled out proper. We all know we never go 2-14 we have to be mediocrish to continue to screw ourselves in our never ending quest to draft the wrong top tier first round QB.

"Someone has to put their plant foot down and that foot is me" - Dean Vernon Heinicke

If the team wins 4 straight at any point, I doubt it will be due to Taylor dominating.  Most likely, defense and running game comes alive should something like that happen.  I’m not sure there is a realistic 4 game stretch where that can happen, but I’m sure this team isn’t going 2-15.  They are going to win some games that deter the path to a top draft pick, but nowhere near enough to make the playoffs, in typical fashion. 

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

If the team wins 4 straight at any point, Indoubt it will be due to Taylor dominating.  Most likely, defense and running game comes alive should something like that happen.  I’m not sure there is a realistic 4 game stretch where that can happen, but I’m sure this team isn’t going 2-15.  They are going to win some games that deter the path to a top draft pick, but nowhere near enough to make the playoffs, in typical fashion. 

I'm not so sure about that.  But I don't think Taylor is capable of winning any more than a game, maybe 2.  

Ironically, the game he might be most capable of winning is this week because GB is bad, and it's actually a good matchup for the Commanders.  Their OL is suspect, our DL is playing well.  And Joe Barry is a complete and total fool that is being exposed for the fool that he is when he doesn't have a top 3 offense to bail his ass out.  

Barry might actually be dumb enough to let the Commanders run the ball 40 times and have success.

However, if GB stacks the line, and basically stuffs the run, Hienicke will have no answers. 

The plan to beating a Taylor Hienicke QBed offense is clear:  Put 9 in the box, bring pressure, stop the run, and dare him to try and throw more than 15 yards and beat 1:1 coverage.  He might make a play or two, but he will also take sacks and throw a few INTs.  Assuming all the DCs we play other than Barry are not imbeciles, we will struggle to score more than 6 points in any game, and probably get shut out in several games, absent a lucky run or two.  

So, if I'm right, and we'll see, they will go 0-6 in the games Carson misses.  at 2-10, the season would be mathematically over.  At that point, even if they put Carson back in, I don't think they're going to win out.  So they end up with 4-ish wins?  That's good enough for a top 5 pick, most likely. 

I agree they probably don't go 2-15.  But I think they absolutely could and will go no better than 4-13. 

Then the question is, if Dan still owns the team, does he fire Ron and start over, or does he stick with Ron because the argument could be made this season was also derailed by a QB injury.

Or does Ron just retire and say to hell with it. 

If I had to place a bet, I think they go 4-13, Dan still owns the team (for now), Ron retires.  I have no idea who Dan could get to coach this disaster, or be a President/GM.  It would be absolutely the worst job in sports, having to deal with Dan, the Dan drama, a fan base in revolt, and a crappy team to boot.   

In that scenario, I give Sean Payton the Jon Gruden deal: 10 years, $10m/year guaranteed.  Make him turn down $100m.  Which he honestly might.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

In that scenario, I give Sean Payton the Jon Gruden deal: 10 years, $10m/year guaranteed.  Make him turn down $100m.  Which he honestly might.  

Might isn't even the word.

He would.

He'd be dumb to take this job when he will be the hottest name in the coaching market, including for teams that have coaches. Which means there is obviously a shot that he DOES make a dumb decision. But I doubt it. 

Edited by KDawg

@Koolblue13 I hadn’t revisited that game until just now, and yeah - he had 45 minutes back there most of the day.  

The other thing that jumps off the screen is just how long nearly every ball takes to get to the receiver.  Not just the long stuff either.

@Voice_of_Reason

I don’t think Payton would take 10/$200M.  Every piece I’ve seen with him, he makes it abundantly clear that he’s interviewing the interviewer, not the other way around.  The synergy with ownership and GM is mandatory for him.  He won’t even take a call from Dan Snyder.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He would.

He'd be dumb to take this job when he will be the hottest name in the coaching market, including for teams that have coaches. Which means there is obviously a shot that he DOES make a dumb decision. But I doubt it. 

Wonder how many more coaches we have to go through, before you get the job Coach.

• Thumb up 1

28 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He would.

27 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

@Koolblue13

@Voice_of_Reason

I don’t think Payton would take 10/$200M.  Every piece I’ve seen with him, he makes it abundantly clear that he’s interviewing the interviewer, not the other way around.  The synergy with ownership and GM is mandatory for him.  He won’t even take a call from Dan Snyder.

Ok, he would.  But I'd still make him turn it down.  

I think it's irrelevant though, with the Wentz injury and the impending offensive implosion due to a QB who shouldn't actually be a backup, Rivera is going to get next year as an "All In" year.  

But this isn't the thread for that.

I predict Terry, Samuel and Dotson will all have concussions in the next 3 weeks.  

At least after we see (again) TH can't play at an NFL level, maybe there won't be angst when he's out of the league next year.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 hours ago, MIB__KEVIN said:

This is so sad. We wait all off-season to watch this team make a run and by week 7 we are already talking about tanking season for picks and backup QB’s and new head coach. Who’s sick and tired of this routine?? 

Sadly, as long as Dan is the owner we'll continue to be stuck in this loop year, after year.

25 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Dotson is back at practice today. Still early in the week but I think he’s going to play Sunday 

Good because I used waiver priority to add him back to my year long fantasy roster.

If he is healthy I think he and Heinicke are gonna click but suspect conservative RR will ease Dotson back with the luxury of Dyami providing viable reps.

1 hour ago, RandyHolt said:

If he is healthy I think he and Heinicke are gonna click but suspect conservative RR will ease Dotson back with the luxury of Dyami providing viable reps.

Dyami has only provided valuable reps when he gets to run in a straight line, make no stem move and catch a deep ball.

I'm not sure how viable that is for TH.

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Terry McClaurin member of the Hive confirmed.

What would you expect him to say when asked?

"Yeah he has no arm and almost got me killed several times last season, which is why I was happy to have a QB who could get me the ball. I think he's not a very good QB, but he tries hard, which is nice"?

• Haha 5

I absolutely love it when people say others "leave it all out on the field". What does it even mean? Does it mean they leave their gym socks out there? That $50 that he borrowed from Carson when he went to buy ice cream from the vending truck?

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

You think if the Steelers are going to Mason Rudolph due to injury his receivers are saying the same thing about him?

Yes. "He leaves it all out on the field" is what someone says when the only thing they have to say about a player is that he plays on the same field as them.

"He leaves it all out on the field" is what the coach says when he's asked for comments about the training camp tryout cleaning out his locker after the first week.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Yes. "He leaves it all out on the field" is what someone says when the only thing they have to say about a player is that he plays on the same field as them.

Listen to his full answer.  You usually get the "next man up" canned answer when they guy coming in is total trash.  You can tell the players like him.  Which is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Listen to his full answer.  You usually get the "next man up" canned answer when they guy coming in is total trash.  You can tell the players like him.  Which is good.

I don’t think anyone has ever suggested that the guys don’t like Heineke.  I’m sure they both like and respect him.  Why wouldn’t they?

I’m pretty sure we’ve all worked with people that aren’t the best at their job, but they try hard and we like them anyways.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t think anyone has ever suggested that the guys don’t like Heineke.  I’m sure they both like and respect him.  Why wouldn’t they?

I’m pretty sure we’ve all worked with people that aren’t the best at their job, but they try hard and we like them anyways.

There's a difference between liking a nice guy who just isn't very good at their job and then liking a guy and thinking they can win with him.  I think it's the latter when you listen to Terry's comments.  

Just now, DJHJR86 said:

There's a difference between liking a nice guy who just isn't very good at their job and then liking a guy and thinking they can win with him.  I think it's the latter when you listen to Terry's comments.  

Yeah man, I’m sure they think the losses are all on Wentz and that Heineke’s should have been playing the whole time.

🤥

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah man, I’m sure they think the losses are all on Wentz and that Heineke’s should have been playing the whole time.

Yeah man, that's exactly what I said and that's exactly what Terry was trying to convey. 

"That makes things a smooth transition.  I think his ability just to extend plays is big for us.  The heart with which he plays with I feel a lot of our guys galvanize behind that.  I know he's going to give us a good chance to be successful this weekend.  I think he's just a guy who always, you can't just measure him by his size or his arm or some of the intangibles that maybe that position is always categorized as or identified as.  A lot of the things he brings to the table you can't quite quantify in just his ability to not quit.  He comes into every game with confidence that he can help us win and he's going to try to make any play possible to help us do that.  So whether it's making plays down the field, extending the plays with his legs, diving for pylons, like he's always a guy that's just going to leave it out on the field.  I think anybody who's on this team's going to respect that.  Just his ability to leave every ounce of what he's got on the field, we all respect that and we want to do whatever we can to support him."

🤡

Edited by DJHJR86
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Yeah man, that's exactly what I said and that's exactly what Terry was trying to convey. 

🤡

Forgive me, as you are all over the place, for not knowing what you are trying to get at.  I fully expect nice things to be said about the guy who is starting on Sunday.  You are the one who wants it to be news.

The lot of us are absorbed in solely F Dan related stuff, and you’re posting Heineke compliments searching for deeper meanings.  🤣

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Forgive me, as you are all over the place, for not knowing what you are trying to get at.  I fully expect nice things to be said about the guy who is starting on Sunday.  You are the one who wants it to be news.

Who said it was newsworthy?  This is...at least I thought it was...a discussion board and I am currently in the thread about the current starting quarterback.  

• Like 4