Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

9 hours ago, wit33 said:

The overwhelming evidence in my 25 years doesn’t support that Washington isn’t able lure high profile coaches or players. 

No way do I feel it’s a top destination spot year over year, situationally Washington has been attractive to high profile coaches and players. I don’t think

any pace is a top destination spot year to year… it’s situational to the individual. 

Who are the top destination spots in your view this upcoming season for free agents?

For sure, I like you am bullish on the roster, infrastructure is there for to foster and support a young QB. Just need competency, enter the 70%  QB class. 

Agree with all this. This represents how easy it can be to become a place a player may want join. 

The reason why I get heated about the discussion points we had on this thread and the Qb thread have nothing to do with you.  But the point at hand.  It's not a real debate for me.  I don't waffle on this.  I wish I did.  It's something that I feel 100% in my bones.  Not because i want to believe it.  I definitely don't want to believe it. But it is what it is.  And that is Dan and to a lesser extent Bruce made this the Siberia of the NFL.  It's not only not a destination spot but its argubaly the worst place to play in the NFL according to plenty.  The subject gets me pissed more than any sports topic in my lifetime.:ols:

I have personal reasons for rooting for this team.  i didn't grow up in DC, though did live there for a spell.  And i am trying to pass that on to my kids but its not been easy and I've seen people around me bail on it.  I've gone to games at home and on the road for over 20 years and have seen how things have changed for the worse.  

Washington from even 3 years ago isn't the same circumstance as today.  It's been attrition after attrition to now being at a low point on most fronts.  If you have something that's decaying it gets worse over time, it doesn't stay static or improve.  4 years ago we weren't a national story that centers on sleaze.  The stadium wasn't as decaying.  The stadium was more full.  On and on and on.  It's the attrition.

The darkness so to speak hit a cresendo in recent years.  We finally ended up dead last in attendance versus just flirting with it.  Declining local TV ratings. The stadium is literally falling apart.  We can't get a dollar from 3 different governments for a stadium when other teams like the Titans and Bills are getting a ton of public help.  Maryland is spending a ton to upgrade the Ravens stadium and yet won't give the Commanders a dime or even a tract of land.  We are a national joke -- Congress coming after the team, being sued by different state attorneys.   As Dan Graziano said recently this team majors in the "ick" factor.

Now I am repeating the point to bring some optimism.  I was saying this to my brother in law who sort bailed on this team recently and was a hardcore fan previously but now roots for the Dolphins -- he's picking the wrong time to bail.  I think we are poised knock on wood to finally escape the dungeon.   Getting rid of Dan is everything.  The idea of the darkest before the dawn seems to be in play here. 

A.  IMO this is the best roster we've had under Dan.  Young talent everywhere especially on defense

B.  Maybe we got lucky for a change with Sam Howell.  The FO-Ron seems to think so judging by reports.  We will find out soon.

C.  We got Bieniemy because of a surge of luck as I explained in another thread.

D.  Dan selling (assuming he does) changes the narrative completely

How often does this team get lucky?   I know some say never so don't count on it here.  But for me I am optimistic about all of it.  Will see.

As far as why can Bieinemy attract talent possibly?

A.  He's a big name coordinator -- deserved or undeserved he brings the KC pedigree.  Scott Turner wasn't a big name.

B.  The context of his history of failing to get head coaching jobs puts him in a spot where many would want to see him succeed -- and maybe that inciudes players

C.  He has a history of players who love playing for him.  If so, you'd figure some would want to follow him here.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

We have had big name and no name OCs and they have all failed here. Time for a new beginning.   I'm thankful that Rivera decided to keep his hands off the Offense despite his earlier comments on a run-first offense.  Let EB pick his assistants and let him run his Offense as he sees fit.  A high quality OC would not want to be held under the yoke of another (especially a defensive minded coach who doesn't understand Offense as well as he does).  

@Skinsinparadise I think it's hard for non-parents, especially those who live in the DC area, to understand this literal existential crisis of fanhood.

I live in the Philly area, my kids are 7 and 5, and they both almost saw exactly what I saw when I was that age: One Super Bowl (XXII) I could barely remember, and one Super Bowl (XXVI) I enjoyed every minute of.  Except for the enemy.

I *NEED* us to turn around. It's attrition, as you said, for some.  Almost like a slow creep.  But as a parent outside of DC?  It's the precipice of the last fingernail hold.  It's THAT bad.  We need to turn it around or this massive part of my relationship that I've been dreaming of for decades is done.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

@Skinsinparadise I think it's hard for non-parents, especially those who live in the DC area, to understand this literal existential crisis of fanhood.

I live in the Philly area, my kids are 7 and 5, and they both almost saw exactly what I saw when I was that age: One Super Bowl (XXII) I could barely remember, and one Super Bowl (XXVI) I enjoyed every minute of.  Except for the enemy.

I *NEED* us to turn around. It's attrition, as you said, for some.  Almost like a slow creep.  But as a parent outside of DC?  It's the precipice of the last fingernail hold.  It's THAT bad.  We need to turn it around or this massive part of my relationship that I've been dreaming of for decades is done.

My son is already a Bills fan. No getting him back. 

That's where we are.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I love knives. I was good enough that I'd make the joke "you're the kind of guy who brings a gun to what's going to be a knife fight." 

I could do what James Coburn does to dumbass cowpoke in the OG Magnificent Seven.

But I digress.....

• Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I think it's hard for non-parents, especially those who live in the DC area, to understand this literal existential crisis of fanhood.

From what I can tell it is exceedingly difficult to rope in the youth market with-in the DC area. I can't even imagine the difficulties beyond.

• Like 1

My 13 year old son has next to zero interest in this team.  He thinks that the Commanders rebrand is a joke, as are their uniforms.

Unlike a lot of older fans though, he realizes that getting rid of Dan is for sure everything, as SIP astutely put it, but...it isn't the only thing holding this franchise back.

He knows that even the best owners need to hire great GMs who then hire great coaches as a key ingredient to being successful.  He sees Ron like I do: a good man, limited head coach who's ceiling is maybe a wildcard round win.   My son is damn tired of watching this team start its preseason while the rest of the league begins the regular season.  He tuned in towards the final month of last season only to witness Ron unable to get his team to win when it counted most against mediocre competition.  

The only thing that is going to possibly get my son back into the fold is winning, and winning year after year.  And I'll define what I mean by "winning": winning NFC championships and Super Bowls, and when you're not securing those things, you are damn close.  Ron ain't gonna get this team into that stratosphere.  As it stands, I'm the only one in my family that cares even a little bit about this team.  I'm personally hanging by a thread.  I grew up in Northern VA, where the Redskins were religion in my house.  My church was in RFK stadium and in my living room on Sundays.  I'm just praying I can get a modicum of that back.

We gotta get rid of Dan first and foremost.  But the next owner needs to get a truly talented, creative and visionary GM who then hires the same in his Head Coach.   We don't have any of those things at the moment.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

My girlfriend was having trouble sleeping last night.

Ever the supporting boyfriend, I printed off the exchange between @Skinsinparadise and @wit33 to give her some light reading. Not 2 minutes after starting Chapter 7, she was dead asleep.

The more you know!

I agree, @Skinsinparadise is boring. Though, he could run a 4.4 in the 40 yard dash back in the day. 

2 minutes ago, zCommander said:

On First Take this morning. Stephen A Smith questions the move and the motive of course. And, like how do you walk away from these numbers? 

PXL_20230220_162823699_MP.thumb.jpg.54bbff62f679b71bcbc4644941129334.jpg

It’s like telling Stephen A, you should’ve went with Skip Bayless to Fox years ago and not taken chance to build something on your own at ESPN. 

• Haha 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

I agree, @Skinsinparadise is boring. Though, he could run a 4.4 in the 40 yard dash back in the day. 

I kept asking her whether 15% was too high a share of cap to pay a QB and she just shrugged and said it was higher than the chance we were gonna have sex.

Fortunately I got lucky and we did the deed. But afterwards when I asked her if I performed well in bed, she said I "did the things I tried to do" and that she was "still going through a full evaluation process".

That's normal, right?

Edited by CapsSkins
  • Haha 7

Impression I have of Bieniemy is that is detail oriented.  His style when coaching players is straightforward, a bit abrupt.  If he sees a player doing something he doesn't like he call them out on it.   He sometimes clashes with older players who find him abrupt but does pretty well with younger players with his hands on coaching.   

2 hours ago, Redwards said:

My 13 year old son has next to zero interest in this team.  He thinks that the Commanders rebrand is a joke, as are their uniforms.

Unlike a lot of older fans though, he realizes that getting rid of Dan is for sure everything, as SIP astutely put it, but...it isn't the only thing holding this franchise back.

I think people really underestimate how powerful a name is----think "Rome." How many centuries of Rome were there: Germanic barbarians who believed in preserving the empire, Greek-speaking peoples calling themselves Romans, Sultanates of Rum, Holy Roman Empires, 18th Century Englishmen in America LARPing as Cincinnatus, people playing and quoting from Fallout New Vegas' Legion faction...

This is not a post to relitigate the change, only to explain, in a partially intellectual way, that you can rebrand when the league/sport is new but if you have an already moribund franchise, such a sudden change and to something that is mostly despised or mocked is a sure way to deliver a coup de grace.  There is great power in a name, and it's easy to think this is like a car company rebranding (which they don't do very much, if you've noticed.)

Edited by Ghost of
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

My girlfriend was having trouble sleeping last night.

Ever the supporting boyfriend, I printed off the exchange between @Skinsinparadise and @wit33 to give her some light reading. Not 2 minutes after starting Chapter 7, she was dead asleep.

The more you know!

No problem for doing my part.  Now imagine going back and reading the original thread where it all started. :D

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Though, he could run a 4.4 in the 40 yard dash back in the day. 

I guess your expertise in baskeball has stuck with me.   And that 4.4 on my end has really stuck with you.  The talents we all have outside of this forum, might bore some more people to sleep. :ols:

26 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I kept asking her whether 15% was too high a share of cap to pay a QB and she just shrugged and said it was higher than the chance we were gonna have sex.

15%, wow Some do listen to @wit33 

• Haha 3

Shocked we haven’t gotten any leaks on staffing possibilities. Makes me wonder if we’re mainly stay put. I theorized it might be tough for him to pull assistants from other staffs just because the teams would have to let those coaches out of their contracts to go anywhere. Many franchises will do that, especially places already seeing major staff turnover. But not always.

Edited by Conn

6 minutes ago, Conn said:

Shocked we haven’t gotten any leaks on staffing possibilities. Makes me wonder if we’re mainly stay put. I theorized it might be tough for him to pull assistants from other staffs just because the teams would have to let those coaches out of their contracts to go anywhere. Many franchises will do that, especially places already seeing major staff turnover. But not always.

I wonder if Ron/Bieniemy will start grooming Drew Terrell to take over as OC if/when EB gets a Head Coaching gig somewhere else in a year or two.

20 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Not to open Pandora's Box, but 15% for QBs who have made the Super Bowl has been mostly anomalous for the past decade or so.

Here's the data I put together some time ago:

image.thumb.png.7468a17300275b2e6bf78426c92f03e0.png 

I am ok with the 15% or below argument but have some exceptions to that, especially if its just a hair above, that's my version of Pandora's Box. 

But if you are going to push Bruce Allen's FO work or say this is a prime destination spot for players-coaches we got trouble. :D

If Daniel Jones gets a big number and Hurts gets 50 million plus and Dak is already at 40 -- if Howell ends up the guy we got a window here.  Hopefully the FO would be aggressive to exploit it.  To the Eagles credit they understood that they had a window with Hurts and got aggressive to exploit that.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am ok with the 15% or below argument but have some exceptions to that, especially if its just a hair above, that's my version of Pandora's Box. 

But if you are going to push Bruce Allen's FO work or say this is a prime destination spot for players-coaches we got trouble. :D

If Daniel Jones gets a big number and Hurts gets 50 million plus and Dak is already at 40 -- if Howell ends up the guy we got a window here.  Hopefully the FO would be aggressive to exploit it.  To the Eagles credit they understood that they had a window with Hurts and got aggressive to exploit that.  

Here's where I come out on the topic:

Matt Ryan and the Falcons showed you can win a SB (I know they lost, but they should've won) paying a high-end-but-not-elite QB 15% of cap. Can you win north of 15%? Well, Mahomes just did. But Mahomes is Baby GOAT. I think it gets tough.

However, as you've noted, the cap also tends to rise. So re-signing a top-15 QB to a deal that starts off north of 15% of cap but that you expect will decay to, let's say, 12% over the life of the deal is not a bad decision IMO. It's certainly better than wandering around the wasteland of QB Limbo.

As for Bruce and the FO, it's clear this franchise has needed to overpay to get FAs and it's vastly harder to manage the cap with good value deals when you have to overpay for talent across the board.

Agreed re: our window. Every other team in the NFCE will likely be paying their QBs big numbers and we have a high-upside guy on a rookie contract. That gives us a 3 year window to maximize our chances of making a run before we have to extend Sam (or go a different direction).

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Simmsy said:

Agree to disagree...or knife fight behind the Waffle House.

20 hours ago, Jumbo said:

I love knives. I was good enough that I'd make the joke "you're the kind of guy who brings a gun to what's going to be a knife fight." 

I could do what James Coburn does to dumbass cowpoke in the OG Magnificent Seven.

But I digress.....

I was gonna choose the knife fight but now not so sure….

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KWilliamsAWinfield said:

Your post is already dumb because the Chiefs would never trade Mahomes to Washington unless Mahomes is already past his prime and not good anymore and Eric would be gone by then

shocked in awe GIF by bartek ujma

The prophet has descended from on high to relay another revelation! What pearls will he lay before the swine next? 

• Haha 2