Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

When the new OC comes on-board, I wonder if they will want to bring some of their own selections for assistants etc.  I imagine that is a point of discussion in the interview process.

Presently, Washington has 11 positions "under" the OC.

Offensive coaches
Offensive coordinator – Vacant
Quarterbacks – Ken Zampese
Assistant quarterbacks/offensive quality control – Luke Del Rio
Running backs – Randy Jordan
Assistant running backs – Jennifer King
Wide receivers – Drew Terrell
Tight ends – Juan Castillo
Assistant tight ends – Todd Storm
Offensive line – John Matsko
Assistant offensive line – Travelle Wharton
Senior offensive assistant – Jim Hostler
Offensive assistant – Tyrae Reid Jr.

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

I'd be fine with a bigger shake-up down the ranks of O coaches regardless of who is the OC. What we got aint exactly working like a well oiled machine.

Only ones I have any real attachment to are Jordan and Matsko. I'd actually be happy to see a specific coupe of those other guys let go.

Gotta be able to fill those spots back up tho, and we are getting late in the cycle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I can’t see EB coming in unless he gets the full keys to the O, which would include ability to hire his own staff. He wants to show he’s HC material, and having full control of the offense is a stepping stone to that. 

Agree. 

To add to that Dan was really cheap in FA last year.  Ron already referred to a "budget" this year.  If I were Bieniemy, i'd insist that they participate versus sit out FA this year. 

I say this because the beat reporters have the vibe that they will do very little in FA for the 2nd year in a row -- if i am Bieniemy no way would I go for a ride where FA isn't a weapon to upgrade this roster. 

For example, I suspect the plan is to use just the draft to address the O line.  If so, I am guessing Bienemy is thinking hell no just the draft especially with multiple Chief O lineman FAs who might be available among other things.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree. 

To add to that Dan was really cheap in FA last year.  Ron already referred to a "budget" this year.  If I were Bieniemy, i'd insist that they participate versus sit out FA this year. 

I say this because the beat reporters have the vibe that they will do very little in FA for the 2nd year in a row -- if i am Bieniemy no way would I go for a ride where FA isn't a weapon to upgrade this roster. 

For example, I suspect the plan is to use just the draft to address the O line.  If so, I am guessing Bienemy is thinking hell no just the draft especially with multiple Chief O lineman FAs who might be available among other things.

I think he's going to have to take this job or sit a year out. I have a feeling KC is going to let some of it's younger assistants get the Bienemy treatment. But that is conjecture. 

23 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I would be shocked if we didn’t address the O’line in free agency. And not the third wave cheap end of free agency.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think he's going to have to take this job or sit a year out. I have a feeling KC is going to let some of it's younger assistants get the Bienemy treatment. But that is conjecture. 

The Chiefs are winners.  Better with Mahomes for sure but they were winners pre Mahomes. 

In his shoes, I'd insist on certain things and I'd be willing to be even pedantic about it.  I love Rivera as a dude but this isn't exactly a winning organization.     It's on point for him to say dude if we want to make this unit work, this is how we have to do it.  

In short, what team that is determined to overhaul a unit like this team seems to be bent (granted I am judging this by beat guy impressions) on doing -- puts it all in the draft.  In his shoes, no way I'd embrance a low key FA season.  If they are serious about overhauling the unit they need to move a major piece in FA.  In Bienemy's shoes I'd press the point even if its a bluff and he plans to take the job no matter what.

I am spitballing here some.  But if there is anything like this going on in discussions, I'd love this hire even more.  Bieiniemy has a reputation of being blunt to a fault but that is needed here IMO.  

7 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I would be shocked if we didn’t address the O’line in free agency. And not the third wave cheap end of free agency.

I hope so.  They basically sat out FA last year.  Rivera already referenced their "budget" this year.  Some of the beat guys talking about the topic seem to expect another low key Fa season.

If all this is true, if i am Bieniemy I'd address the topic now.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Chiefs are winners.  Better with Mahomes for sure but they were winners pre Mahomes. 

In his shoes, I'd insist on certain things and I'd be willing to be even pedantic about it.  I love Rivera as a dude but this isn't exactly a winning organization.     It's on point for him to say dude if we want to make this unit work, this is how we have to do it.  

In short, what team that is determined to overhaul a unit like this team seems to be bent (granted I am judging this by beat guy impressions) on doing -- puts it all in the draft.  In his shoes, no way I'd embrance a low key FA season.  If they are serious about overhauling the unit they need to move a major piece in FA.  In Bienemy's shoes I'd press the point even if its a bluff and he plans to take the job no matter what.

I am spitballing here some.  But if there is anything like this going on in discussions, I'd love this hire even more.  Bieiniemy has a reputation of being blunt to a fault but that is needed here IMO.  

I hope so.  They basically sat out FA last year.  Rivera already referenced their "budget" this year.  Some of the beat guys talking about the topic seem to expect another low key Fa season.

If all this is true, if i am Bieniemey I'd address the topic now.  

Agree. Even if he doesn’t have options and is going to take this job regardless I am pushing the narrative that I need assurances we will be active in FA AND the draft to fill in the holes. 

• Like 4

The esteemed Scott Turner coaching tree sprouting another branch.

For real though, this guy is on our staff and seems to have done well so far with Dotson at least (I’m not giving any current coach credit for McLaurin who popped off the screen immediately as a rookie under someone else). So at least one team wants to pick his brain, and it’s a coach who gameplanned against his receivers within the division which is interesting. 

He’s in the building, did WE even interview him for the OC role this offseason? 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I doubt OC candidates are going to be given say over a team's free agency plans.  That is not an OC's job, and a functional organization isn't letting their coordinators dictate their player personnel decisions.

If you’re the OC you still push it when coming to this situation. But yes, they won’t get what they want. But they may make an impact on thought processes which is a long term win.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Agree. Even if he doesn’t have options and is going to take this job regardless I am pushing the narrative that I need assurances we will be active in FA AND the draft to fill in the holes. 

That's my guess, too.

I am extrapolating a bit on this.   Bieiniemy has the reputation for being super blunt.  This team spent the 2nd least in the NFL in FA last year.  I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that this O line needs fixing.  I also don't think it takes a rocket scientest to see that it would be very hard to fix it without participating in FA.  

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I doubt OC candidates are going to be given say over a team's free agency plans.  That is not an OC's job, and a functional organization isn't letting their coordinators dictate their player personnel decisions.

From what's been said over the years, the actual OC and DC do express what they'd like in FA.  it doesn't mean they will get it. 

Been that way from regime after regime from what I can tell.   Exception being some of Bruce Allen's era (post Shanny) where he fosited players that apparently the HC and coordinators didn't want. 

I recall Gibbs used to say, he'd ask the coordinators for the players they wanted -- it doesn't mean they got everything they want but a coordinator knows their units at least in theory as for strengths and weaknesses and missing ingredients.

My point though isn't that Bieniemy will give Rivera a shopping list of players he'd have to sign.  My point would be in his shoes I'd press the point dude are you going to sit out FA again -- and if Rivera hemed and hawed and said Dan has him on a budget, I'd push the envelope some on that conversation.  

In short, its tough to overhaul a unit and provide other upgrades wtih the draft alone -- let alone it boxes you in to draft for need.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

True. But if I’m interviewing for the job (and have options!) I want to understand what I am walking into and that I have an opportunity to be successful - so I’m absolutely asking what we intend to do about the O’Line during free agency. I’d be asking about the teams plans for the QB room as well - and be prepared with my views on both those subjects if the team turn those questions around and ask me what I think.

• Like 6

On 2/14/2023 at 9:26 AM, Ball Security said:

They scored 531 points under him.  This franchise hasn’t done that in 40 years.  They also scored 468 points under him.  This team hasn’t done that in 30+ years.

Are u just regurgitating a tweet or have u watched the ravens play? They do nothing to make it move. Yes the put up a ton of points during Lamar’s big years and how have they done in the two years since… oh, we’ve scored more offensive TDs than them the past two years… 

The ravens offense has been average the past two years.

And now compare that to biennemy… I mean come on, the difference in ceilings isn’t even comparable.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Thats Charles Leno’s wife.

It's pointing more and more to a EB hiring.  Seems we just have to wait a bit longer (tomorrow).  It will be interesting to see who EB replaces on the offensive staff.  

• Like 3

Cardinals are apparently locked in on CLE QB coach for their OC job to the point it’s basically done. So if they are interviewing our WR coach, I doubt it’s going anywhere. Don’t know who else they’ve interviewed so I’m not gonna assume it’s “just” a Rooney Rule interview, but good for him for getting on radars and getting a chance to impress someone either way 

• Like 3