Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New OC Thread (Welcome Aboard Eric Bieniemy!)

samy316

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

Kansas City, the team that just got done winning its second Super Bowl with him as their offensive coordinator, didn't think to try and extend him at some point preceding this season?  The Ravens, one of the best ran clubs in the league, didn't even bother to interview this guy.  It's a lateral move for a guy who is being hired by a staff that is most likely (hopefully) gone between now and the start of next year's season.  Sorry, can't get excited for this.  We've seen this story before.

Wait... we had an OC come here after winning the SB and didn't work out?

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Kansas City, the team that just got done winning its second Super Bowl with him as their offensive coordinator, didn't think to try and extend him at some point preceding this season?  The Ravens, one of the best ran clubs in the league, didn't even bother to interview this guy.  It's a lateral move for a guy who is being hired by a staff that is most likely (hopefully) gone between now and the start of next year's season.  Sorry, can't get excited for this.  We've seen this story before.

So, who'd you want then?

Nobody, because whoever it would be, it wouldn't work right?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Wait... we had an OC come here after winning the SB and didn't work out?

We've seen the 'splashy' moves under Snyder.  Until he's gone it's not going to change.  

4 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

So, who'd you want then?

Nobody, because whoever it would be, it wouldn't work right?

If he is really selling the team before the start of this season, whoever the new owner's GM hired.  If he's selling the team after this season, they could have stuck with Zampese.  He reportedly has a good relationship with Howell.

I would guess that EB comes in with the intention to build up and around Sam Howell. The pieces on offense are in place except the OL. I see our off-season needs being:

1. LG

2. RG or RT (depending on Cosmi)

3. C

4. LT

I think we could address any of these positions in the off-season and I would suspect we add 2 via draft and 1 via FA and depending on who that is, potentially part ways with Roullier and Leno if not in 2023, definitely in 2024. 

EB is going to want a top notch OL in place to ensure Howell has every opportunity to succeed. He can probably mask the OL issues a bit early on with rushing abilities, especially if you have a rookie OT at pick 16 and a rookie C in the 2nd or 3rd. Those guys could be eased into the lineup and generally enhance our overall depth on the OL while Leno and Roullier start out. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

48 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

they could have stuck with Zampese.  He reportedly has a good relationship with Howell.

That's great and all, but Zampese was a dreadful OC when he had the chance.  Perhaps Zampese stays to mentor Howell while Bienemie installs the offense.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We've seen the 'splashy' moves under Snyder.  Until he's gone it's not going to change.  

If he is really selling the team before the start of this season, whoever the new owner's GM hired.  If he's selling the team after this season, they could have stuck with Zampese.  He reportedly has a good relationship with Howell.

So you’re firmly in the “tank this year” group. Your posts make more sense now.

For the record, Zampese could still stay on as QB coach.

6 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't want them to tank, nor do I think they actively will.  

Well, that’s what will happen if we settle for Zampese.  That couldn’t be a more underwhelming, non-interesting hire.  Zampese was a terrible OC in Cincinnati, and we’ve interviewed about 6 other people besides Zampese during this process.  Why would we do all this interviewing, if Zampese was going to be the guy?

If we settle for Zampese next year, we’re going to be last in the division again, and Ron & Co. will be out before the season ends.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Pining for Zampese

No one is "pining" for Zampese.  He's already here as the QB coach.  Rivera & company are most likely gone after this year.  Zampese would not have excited me at all.  Neither does Bieniemy. 

4 minutes ago, samy316 said:

If we settle for Zampese next year, we’re going to be last in the division again, and Ron & Co. will be out before the season ends.

Rivera & company are gone regardless, barring a miraculous Super Bowl run.  They could have settled for any number of OCs.  I'm not going to get hyped up over the guy who no one in the league bothered to interview for OC though.  

Edited by DJHJR86

25 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

We do not know this yet.

We do know for a fact that Turner wouldn't have been able to get the most out of Howell with his no sense for situational play calling. 

24 minutes ago, ashlynskins said:

Exactly, that 1 game against Dallas no doubt was a breath of fresh air and definitely raised eyebrow’s but we can’t get overly excited… after all there have been a lot of 1 hit wonders and I’m not talking just music & VH1 stuff

It is more than just one game you have to look at to see what Howell brings to the table. I am not hanging on to that one game but he showed more potential than any other QB on roster of 22. That is a hope I am willing to wait for.