Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can You See Your Fandom Ending at Some Point???

Renegade7

Do you see yourself at some point ending being a Commanders fan???  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Do you see yourself at some pointing ending being a Commanders fan???

• Yes, and I'll pick another team to be fan of (and never come back, not even for replacement DC franchise)
    • Yes, and I'll pick another team to be fan of (Open to coming back)
    • Yes, but won't pick another team to be fan of (Open to Coming Back)
    • Yes, but won't pick another team to be fan of (Never Coming Back)
    • No, fan for life, even if they move to another TV market, like London or St. Louis
    • No, but if they leave DC market I'll be fan of another team (and become fan of new DC football team if DC gets one)
    • No, but if they leave DC market I won't pick a new team (will be fan of new DC football team if DC get's one)
    • No, but if they leave DC market I'll pick new team and not be fan of a replacement DC franchise
    • No, if they leave I'm not picking new team nor being fan of new DC team if DC gets one
    • I don't know
    • It's too late, I'm already gone...
    • Yes, and let's be clear, if I'm only coming back for a new DC franchise, that means I'll NEVER be Commanders fan again once I'm gone (I'm never coming back)

7 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I am actually trying to think of another franchise that has ever lost fans after a WIN. We are a two decade beatdown bunch. 

It’s really sad. It was a frustrating game and the offense was a train wreck again, but the defense made some great plays when they needed to and got a win on the road that had a better record than us. Last year we were 2-6 and then won 4 straight. Had a chance at playoffs before the Covid and injury massacre had them plugging guys off the street. Who knows, Chase comes back and Robinson gets hot, im glad we just got the win and it’s not completely over pre Halloween. 

I can’t stand pissing and moaning to this extent after winning a game. Even good teams will win games like that throughout the year. Damn I get not getting excited because it was rough, but you’d think we lost 48-3. 

I've been a fan since 1983 (wow, that seems like a really long time ago when I see it typed out), and a "hardcore" fan since about 1985.

I still get excited for each game although my expectations are pretty low at the moment. As a consequence of this, the wins don't make me as happy as they once did and the loses don't hurt as much. I have almost zero expectations of making a Super Bowl any time soon.

The option of the team relocating to London would obviously affect me differently than most of you, and even though I chose that option, I hope that the team never relocates.

I'm sure that Snyder selling the team would re-ignite my fandom to previous levels, with a re-rebrand thrown in for good measure, even if it turned out to be The Washington Amazons.

I could never be a fan of another team, although I do like watching the Bills play at the moment, mainly because they are my best mates' team and I'm happy for him (and a little jealous), but they are also playing really good football (OK, I admit it, I'm very, very jealous).

TLDR: I'm a fan for life and not going anywhere.

Edited by London Kev
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, London Kev said:

TLDR: I'm a fan for life and not going anywhere.

Welcome!  We drink.

13 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I have almost zero expectations of making a Super Bowl any time soon.

This is such a weird point for me.  I want so very badly to see the burgundy and gold in a super bowl (and please not in the all black uni's, they look like pajamas).  But there are few sights I would consider more disgusting than watching that midget piece of **** get handed the Lombardi.

• Like 1

I’m apathetic to the wins and losses. I watch because it’s what I did / do with my dad and brother. 

I’m 40 and I remember the good times, barely.

But, one thing I know is that I’m going to outlast Snyder. This guy destroyed my favorite team, and I’ll be damned if he outlasts me. 

• Like 2

I thought about it after the new name reveal, "Commanders" is the ****ing dumbest name and hard to get behind.  I wish they would have just stuck with "Washington Football Team".  Everything about this rebranding is stupid as well.  A hog or dog mascot?  GTFO here with that garbage. 

Should have named the team the wild hogs or something that would fit the mascot options.  And a new fight song, dumb.  All of that should have been gone with the Redskins name.  Then our owner is a scumbag and it makes it harder to get behind anything that he's a part of.  I remind myself that I'm pulling for the team (players/coaches) to win/succeed, but it's still a tough pill to swallow.

The only other team I could pull for would be the Packers (my feelings right now, that could change).  Came close to pulling the trigger and buying a GB hat and Favre jersey (dodged a bullet on that lol) in the off-season.  I did love watching Favre play back in the day and Rodgers has been fun to watch throughout his career as well.  Plus, the team is publicly owned, no owner/partnership/corporate entity, and I wouldn't have to put up with any more owner/owners bull****.

I still wear my gear, watch the games in their entirety and root for the team.  I'm still holding on in hope that Dan gets voted out and has to sell the team, which is why I haven't stopped pulling for them or switched teams.  I 100% will not root for a new expansion DC team (should the franchise move), I don't live in the DMV, never have and have zero ties to the area with exception to the Redskins.  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, GoCommiesGo said:

I’m apathetic to the wins and losses. I watch because it’s what I did / do with my dad and brother. 

I’m 40 and I remember the good times, barely.

But, one thing I know is that I’m going to outlast Snyder. This guy destroyed my favorite team, and I’ll be damned if he outlasts me. 

Thats my brothers argument as well. I understand it, ---- that scumbag, and to read about how bound and determined he is to hold onto the team, "cold dead hands" style to the bitter end is infuriating. Can't he see what he's done. If he was a true fan, as he claims, he'd sell, but his ego trumps his fandom, so he can't handle the thought of the team succeeding once he leaves....But yeah, my brother wont quit out of spite.

I can't quit, but I can ignore. I don't have the capacity to "become a fan of another team". I don't know how. I grew the roots as a single digit year old child circa the late seventies and early eighties, the roots are there. I can't drop a seed in say, the Cincy bucket, and water that till it grows, roots simply wouldn't grow, I'm not that child anymore.

I'm jealous. The last times I really was able to transfer were USMNT in 1990, DC United in 1996, Washington Nats almost 20 years ago but that was easy because I was already an expos fan, so they were just moving to the city where the bulk of my fav teams are from.

As a 47 year old I can't suddenly follow the Jags because I really like Lawrence long term and like their build and coach? I'm stuck, it's this loser organization or none. I may be able to do what my dad did, watch my kid pick up a team (Raiders or Niners) and follow them passively and w/o enthusiasm except for his joy? That's the best I could do. I am absolutely not inflicting the redskins on him particularly since his only local tie is that an uncle was born and raised there until he was 4 50+ years ago. That wouldn't make sense and of course, my wife would kill me lol. 

• Like 1

I can't get past the name.  I would have stuck around if we continued with Football Team (essentially no name while we still can say Skins).  The only way I would be back is if there is a new owner who goes back to Redskins/Football team (very unlikely).  Or if the franchise is relocated and an expansion team is started.  It is weird but I would be OK with a new name at that point.  I guess that would be the Houston Oilers to Houston Texans scenario.  Also can't fathom picking another team to root for.  

• Like 1

Not only is it a moronic name, the stupidest of the available options (kind of amazing that when the Boulez and the Redskins both did rebranding, they both chose just about the stupidest options imaginable), but it also hints at Snyder's megalomaniacal "Little Napolean" <expletive> personality, which is just so self-defeating and tone deaf, you think he'd have enough of a clue to know to steer away from anything connected to like "martial authority" connotations, but no, he's a little Napolean and is drawn to that sorta nonsense. It's unbelievably embarrassing and I hope when he dies, or is forced to sell, the new owners come it, trebuchet that moronic name into the Atlantic, and run a new contest w/at least halfway thoughtful ideas and connotations. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 3

On 10/9/2022 at 9:35 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

I am not a fan of this team anymore. If you knew what my identity basically was for most of my life, you’d find that astonishing. But I can’t root for success for the garbage human who owns the team. I just can’t.

I follow the team and check this board. But I want them to do poorly. I’ll root for them to beat Chicago this week because I don’t want them to luck into a top 3 pick or anything.

I don’t have a favorite team anymore. And I’d come back if he sold. Until then, to hell with them.

this is where I’ve been. I quite enjoy passionately rooting against the team. I want them to lose badly, **** up, and just be a general embarrassment every single play of every game. I recommend others do so, it’s actually pretty cathartic 

If Snyder goes, I’m back in. I can stomach the stupid name, the ass ugly uniforms, and the constant losing. That was never the issue. It’s just impossible for me to root for the success of such an awful and disgusting person. 

I’ll never like the team like a once did even if Snyder is gone. He’s kind of killed my passion in that regard for good. I’m more of a general NFL fan and I find that to be quite satisfying, watching and enjoying great players and teams with no emotional investments like I once had. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

No, not anymore. I remember that after 1998, I was about to give up but then they did just well enough to rope me back in.  In 2001, one play before the Lavar pick six, I gave up and started watching a movie.  At that time I had the final scores to Redskins games come to my phone, was I in for a surprise. Got roped back in. In 2003, I stopped watching the Redskins after the week 12 loss to Miami. It wasn't until Joe Gibbs was announced that I figured I'd give them one more chance. I was about to give up again when we put a whipping on the Giants and got roped back in.  Because we did OK in 2005, I wasn't devastated by 2006. Was about to give up again in 2009 but the big FO change got me to give them some time and deal with 2 more terrible years. New coach in 2014 got me to try again in 2015, since we got to the playoffs, I got roped in again. I was about to give up again in 2020 but we somehow got to the playoffs. I figured I'd give them another couple of years. Last year after we'd successfully lost to the Broncos, I did not watch much of the Bucs game except for the last drive (watched the whole game on my DVR later). I am convinced that if not for mounting injuries and covid, that team would have won 2-3 more games. I strongly believe that either Rivera will go better than 7-4 now or we have a new coaching staff next year and I'll need to give that staff a year or two. Worse occurrence to me is that we go 6-5 to 7-4 in this back 11 (maybe good enough that while change is needed, no change is made). Hell, if we go 5-6, depending on how we do it, that may be just as bad.

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Darth Tater I’m curious what about this years team makes you think they can pull off a 7-4 record these final 11 games…..

What does that have to do with what I said?  I only said that 8-3 or better is the MINIMUM for me to think we don't need to move on from Rivera. 6 or 7 would be bad because it would just be good enough for us to not move on but not good enough to convince me that Rivera is the guy going forward.

Just now, Darth Tater said:

What does that have to do with what I said?  I only said that 8-3 or better is the MINIMUM for me to think we don't need to move on from Rivera. 6 or 7 would be bad because it would just be good enough for us to not move on but not good enough to convince me that Rivera is the guy going forward.

What you said is “I strongly believe that either Rivera will go 7-4 now or we have a new coaching staff next year and I’ll need to give that staff a year or two”

thus my question, what about this years team leads you to “strongly believe” that going 7-4 is one of those two things you think happens? 

Just now, Darth Tater said:

Yep, and I still have no idea why you asked your question.

Because you said you strongly believe them going 7-4 is one possibility. So since you think it’s one possibility, I’m wondering what makes you think it’s a possibility. You didn’t say anything in your post about 8-3 being the bear minimum for you to think they don’t need to move on from Rivera. lol this can’t possibly be this difficult of a question to comprehend🤦🏻‍♂️ 

• Thumb down 1

18 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Because you said you strongly believe them going 7-4 is one possibility. So since you think it’s one possibility, I’m wondering what makes you think it’s a possibility. 

We did go 5-4 in our last 9 last season and DT said he thought we could've win 2-3 more than the stretch if it wasn't for injuries or covid. Hence his feeling that we can do the same this year.

At 2-4, I personally think we go around .500 to finish either 7-10 or 8-9, which would still suck, but wouldn't be enough to get Ron fired. This is an unpredictable league.

Loved this team since 1972.  I knew Snyder was bad news right after he fire Marty Schottenheimer.  I continued to root for the team over the years but have gradually become more and more disinterested.  But Snyder's wretchedness as a human being has now made me an anti fan.

Until that man is gone I simply cannot cheer for this team to succeed.

On 10/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, Inigo Montoya said:

I watch every minute of every weeks game. It’s just what I do, what I’ve always done. And I really really don’t know how to change it. But I know it makes me miserable. 
I recently quit drinking, feel the best I’ve felt in years… maybe turning 40 has me thinking about how I invest my time 17 Sunday’s a year. It’s completely joyless, it ruins my day, my interactions with people for the rest of the day. I need someone to men in black zap my memory and make me a chiefs fan (live 

I know who you need.

office-space-dr-swanson.gif

Edited by CommDownMan
  • Haha 3

For people struggling with the situation you find yourself in, may I suggest:

stop watching them. Stop consuming it at the level you do. Look I used to be a regular here too but that faded long ago. Not anymore. It’s not because I don’t want to be that fan - it’s that I won’t be that fan again until he’s gone

I’m still here because I have good relationships with several members and enjoy my time in the tailgate. 

just watch the red zone. Go do stuff with friends or family that you would otherwise push off during that time. 

don’t care who they drafted or where they’ll draft or what Ron Rivera meant exactly when he said “quarterback”

don’t pick a new team just watch red zone. Or if you have another team on local tv worth watching then watch that. Don’t pick a new team just cheer for good football. Enjoy good plays. 

and know that as soon as that dudes gone you’ll be back at it again just like the rest of us. 

Anyone talking about your fan card - they’re an idiot. Anyone still around and willing to even entertain the idea of using any brain capacity on this team at any point in a season, is was and will always be a fan of what this was and what it should be. Your fan card is fine. This isn’t about losing or being bad it’s about your favorite thing being run by a toxic, nasty, and gross person. 

In fact I’d argue you’re a great fan for doing what I suggested. Cause it’s clearly the only way to get him out. Break his money printing machine. Cause it’s not just his, he shares it with others. 

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

@CommanderInTheRye

They are, but unfortunately Snyder has made this organization a Black Hole, sucking every single drop of pride, fandom and glory out of everyone, not only the fans.

There are some very good players on this team, and they will either want a high dollar contract or a championship or probably demand a trade, and who could blame them? The time is now, with the heat about to come down, they can use social media or even big media and express their displeasure and tell everyone they asked to be traded. Leverage and timing.

I finally gave up this year, having been a fan since the 1950's. Didn't watch the draft, didn't follow pre-season stories, don't follow team any more or less than teams in other markets, didn't even tune in Thursday night. As a result, I'm having a much more relaxing Fall this year. Sorry a franchise with such a great history has fallen this far.

On 10/14/2022 at 5:38 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Because you said you strongly believe them going 7-4 is one possibility. So since you think it’s one possibility, I’m wondering what makes you think it’s a possibility. You didn’t say anything in your post about 8-3 being the bear minimum for you to think they don’t need to move on from Rivera. lol this can’t possibly be this difficult of a question to comprehend🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I did not say that I said “I strongly believe that either Rivera will go 7-4 now or we have a new coaching staff next year and I’ll need to give that staff a year or two”. LOL about my reading comprehension? I in no way intimated that I believe we will. However, given the fact that we do have 11 games remaining, it is of course still possible.

OK, I did assume on the context of this thread and my previous posts so I didn't think I'd need to re-write everything.