Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Need new direction

frankms283

3 hours ago, frankms283 said:

I think wentz should be replaced? Rivera says he will bounce back? When , at the end of season...i think rookie should play

The book is out on how to stop the Commanders offense; simply rush and pressure. 

Wentz will start to get it once the team is out of contention, playing just good enough to stay the starter and most likely knocking the team out of a good draft position. Then lose it all next season and start the same thing all over again.

I'm beginning to wonder, seeing Rivera's arms cross folded, if he's trying to pull a "Jeannie" and blink a good play? 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

We hired Spurrier because he was a legendary college coach who was a "can't miss" prospect for the NFL...

We brought back Gibbs because...well... he's Gibbs.

Still not sure why we hired Zorn...

Hired Shanahan for the same reason we brought back Gibbs. History of success. 

Hired Jay Gruden because we couldn't get the Gruden we actually wanted.

Hired Rivera because he's a heck of a good guy who was going to transform the culture. 

So, yeah, we need to go in a new direction when hiring coaches. We need to stop with these gimmick hires that look and sound good on paper. Everything is a marketing move with Snyder.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BraveWarrior said:

Hired Rivera because he's a heck of a good guy who was going to transform the culture. 

when he was hired at the time, i thought so too.  i thought he was gonna be the disciplinarian type coach.  he was that type his first year.  now, i don't know.  seems like he got soft.  i just don't sense that fire in his approach anymore.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, ultravin said:

when he was hired at the time, i thought so too.  i thought he was gonna be the disciplinarian type coach.  he was that type his first year.  now, i don't know.  seems like he got soft.  i just don't sense that fire in his approach anymore.

Yeah.  I feel the same.

His players look confused and frustrated.  I'm not going to say that they aren't playing "hard", but there is a palpable lack of energy and "want to" with this team (that even pre-dates Ron for decades, sans Gibbs II) compared to every other team I see.  I have DirecTV Sunday Ticket, which is the greatest thing on the planet for a real football fan.  I see the majority of the games on Sundays, and watch the Monday and Thursday games.  I'm not seeing things: we DO play with less intensity and apparent clarity than most of the other teams (if not all) I see.  Yes, that includes the teams that aren't so good, too.  You can stink as a team but still play with intensity and clarity - you just may not have the talent currently to win.

If Ron hasn't started losing players yet - or at the very least have doubts creeping into this players' minds about the quality of the coach and his staff - then it's going to start happening soon if there isn't a drastic improvement from the coaches.

Ron's a fan of saying that we just have to play better.  He puts heaps and heaps of responsibility onto his players but takes precious little, genuine blame for he and his coaching staff's responsibility.  

They keep saying that things are "fixable".  Well...that may very well be, but as B Mitch astutely put it: "If things are fixable, then fix them.  And that's the problem: nothing's getting fixed."

This team under Ron is going backwards.  It has not been constructed with any real plan, nor is there a real plan on Sundays (something the media is now openly pointing out).  There's no real passion or urgency or cerebral approach by players or coaches.   (I should be flayed for even using "cerebral" in conjunction with this franchise.)  

Ron looks and sounds like he'd rather be retired.  He acts as though this is Year 1 of a Jon Gruden-style Raiders contract.   It's bad enough that Snyder clearly cares a hell of a lot less than he did when he bought the team.  Now it looks as though our HC is losing the same interest three years in.  

We, the fans - the powerless fans - are so

Animation Tighten GIF by Reuben Armstrong

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

NYG are an example of how the right coaching for the right team in the right situation can maximize talent and snag a couple of unexpected wins.  I still don't think the NYG are that good personnel-wise, but the coaches have seen enough of Daniel Jones on film to realize that until they can find a replacement, these are the things we need him to focus on to be the best possible version of himself out there.  They will likely come back to earth and end up a .500 or slightly under team, but that won't take away from what the coaches there are doing to get the most out of the roster.

We need coaches here that instead of proclaiming "This is what we do, figure it out" decide that "this is what we do.....the best" and go from there.

I do think there is some truth to Ron losing the locker room. Long time coaches need to have a certain pedigree in order to maintain the team ala Belichick, Reid or Tomlin. But I think the underlying issue is the entire culture of the team which starts with Snyder. 

Ron had a pass his first year when he unfortunately was diagnosed with cancer. Last year, we won 7 games with Heinicke at qb and that was the reasoning he used to say we couldn’t get over the top. At some point the mantra of “we need to correct some things” falls on deaf ears and it boils down to certain personnel. 

Ron hasn’t shown to draft particularly well and he has been so bias to former players. At this point, we need to really shake things up. I’m not sure what that involves but I do think Ron needs to really challenge the players and coaches as I don’t think Ron is going anywhere. He can do it in private or public but I’m tired of the “Mr Nice Guy” routine. 

8 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

the coaches have seen enough of Daniel Jones on film to realize that until they can find a replacement

Daboll essentially called out Jones in camp saying he needed to show improvement and the team did not pick up his 5th year option. After a pick by Jones a couple weeks ago, you saw Daboll ripping into Jones on the sidelines.

Im not saying Ron needs to be the same way but he needs to hold his players accountable!

3 hours ago, ultravin said:

I saw very little of that in him even in his first year. I chalked it up to the cancer treatments taking it out of him, but then I thought his willingness to be on the sidelines on gamedays during all that was so motivational in itself. 

Bill Belicheck and Tom Brady would lose here even with a better roster, just because of Dan Snyder......  It doesn't matter the coach, QB, GM, Stadium or Team name....  I believe in Karma and Dan doesn't deserve anything nice.  Until he is gone we will suffer as fans.......  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

NYG are an example of how the right coaching for the right team in the right situation can maximize talent and snag a couple of unexpected wins.  I still don't think the NYG are that good personnel-wise, but the coaches have seen enough of Daniel Jones on film to realize that until they can find a replacement, these are the things we need him to focus on to be the best possible version of himself out there.  They will likely come back to earth and end up a .500 or slightly under team, but that won't take away from what the coaches there are doing to get the most out of the roster.

We need coaches here that instead of proclaiming "This is what we do, figure it out" decide that "this is what we do.....the best" and go from there.

Exactly. Watching the Giants on Red Zone and MNF, no they aren't very talented but Daboll is maximizing that roster and you can tell there is a clear plan from the new GM Schoen. They'll probably find their new franchise QB next off season and have another ~10 year run of solid success while we continue to mire in mediocrity save for the occasional fluky 9-10 win season.

• Like 1

I don't always listen to the post-game/next day pressers, but do any of the media members ask Ron about the constant mistakes in the secondary and if they are a reflection of what he is seeing in practice or is this a case of things look good on the practice field but aren't translating to games? 

Some of the errors and miscommunications, for them to still be happening in Year 3 of running the same defense makes it hard to believe they aren't also showing up in practice.  It's like Ron always comes off either pretending or legitimately a deer in the headlights at the lack of performance in some of these players.