Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

😀😀 Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.😀😄

88Comrade2000

I'm pretty sure that Harris & Co. will handle this as respectfully as possible. Some of it may depend on how Ron handles things. It doesn't have to be complicated. A simple statement praising Ron for how he handled tough circumstances with grace, but that the results on the field didn't measure up, the amazing fans deserve the best, wishing the best for Ron and his family, extensive search underway, etc., etc.

If Harris quietly offered consideration to Ron in return for a "retirement", that might be something to consider. However, if Ron wants to coach again, it could complicate things because the Commanders would retain a year's exclusive rights to him as a retiree. Plus, the contractual issue would be thorny in terms of whether his contract could be modified in that way (the league might not allow it, for example).

I suspect a clean break with a firing would actually be in the best interests of both sides. It's not like a fake "retirement" would be fooling anyone.

Edited by profusion
  • Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, profusion said:

However, if Ron wants to coach again, it could complicate things because the Commanders would retain a year's exclusive rights to him as a retiree.

Well there's two parts to that equation--Ron has to want to coach, and someone has to want him to coach. The latter part is the bigger hurdle.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well there's two parts to that equation--Ron has to want to coach, and someone has to want him to coach. The latter part is the bigger hurdle.

I don't know. Josh McDaniels and other Belichick guys keep getting opportunities despite repeated catastrophic failures. Never underestimate the continued ability of NFL barnacles to keep attaching themselves to teams.

I'd say it's more likely that Ron decides to call it day.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, profusion said:

I don't know. Josh McDaniels and other Belichick guys keep getting opportunities despite repeated catastrophic failures. Never underestimate the continued ability of NFL barnacles to keep attaching themselves to teams.

This is my thinking as well. Ron retires

4 minutes ago, method man said:

That's the only thing I can think of. Ron has shown himself to be too stubborn of late to accept when he has made any mistakes. It could be a "retirement," as I don't believe Harris wants to look like the bad guy here... even if the fanbase couldn't care less.

59 minutes ago, method man said:

I think some other dumpster fire team looking for an experienced head coach will give Ron a job next year...Raiders, Cardinals, maybe a return to the Bears...or maybe Tepper hires him back for the Panthers, like a Gibbs 2.0. 😆

I think Ron is too stubborn to retire.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Based on what he has done the last few weeks with this D? :rofl89:

Two of his top D lineman were traded away halfway through the season

Based on previous stints with Chicago and Carolina, its under the right conditions at least, someone will give him a chance at DC

Washington is also viewed as somewhat of a dysfunctional franchise at least until Harris can build the proper organization.  Look at what happened with McVay and Shanahan

I think there is a reasonable chance a conversation has already taken place and I wouldn’t be shocked if we hear something at the podium after the game.  Ron knows the score, and he could just say “we reached an agreement” to avoid the questions about his future. 

He could also say he’s retiring from coaching.

I can’t imagine this could be true, but if there are 10 jobs available, maybe Ron thinks he can get one.  If that’s the case he might be more coy. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, profusion said:

I’m predicting one barnacle attaches itself to Bieniemy. 

2 minutes ago, Ghost of said:

That Joe Barry got another opportunity in this league tells you all you need to know. 

The fact Bozo Jay hired him over Wade Phillips still boggles the mind.  I know there was some reporting that Wade wanted some type of input/control on personnel, but Wad = good, Joe = was the worst statistical DC in the history of the NFL.

Then he got a life-boat with McVay as a LB coach with the Rams. I'm sure he's a perfectly fine position coach.

Then he gets the GB job and doesn't do a good job but Aaron Rodgers bails him out for a few years. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Redskins 2021 said:

I got the impression that Harris and Ron made a deal at the beginning of year. I will retire at end of the year if you don't fire me in season.

Why would Ron retire? If he gets fired he gets paid the rest of his salary. He'd be leaving money on the table.

• Thumb up 1

I’m really confused by the talk of EB getting a head coach or even OC gig when he leaves here.  Like I’ve said numerous times in the Howell thread, if the offense itself was creating opportunities and Howell was the problem, there would be an abundance of evidence to support that.  

I’ve watched EB refuse to attack opposing defenses weaknesses and call plays that are dead pre-snap in critical situations most of the season.  

What about that is enticing to perspective employers?

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, Llevron said:

This. Not a man alive is leaving a few mil just sitting on the table like that. 

It can be part of the retirement/separation agreement.  Make it amicable rather than forced.  Ron agrees to retire/resign, Josh pays him the majority of the money he is owed for next year in exchange for a smooth transition.  Helps everybody from a perception perspective.  

My guess is this was worked out over the bye week or even during the mini-bye after Thanksgiving.  Probably between Harris and Ron's agent.  Conversation with Ron was probably something along the lines of, "look, truly respect everything you've done.  We're going to move in a different direction next year.  Let's just finish out the year as best as possible, at the end, we'll call it a mutual separation, and we'll handle it with the class and dignity you have earned. In exchange for you continuing to coach the team for the remainder of the year, I'll pay out the last year of your contract."

It's win-win for everybody.  Sure, it's a firing, but handled with dignity.  There is no reason to embarrass the guy more than he has done to himself.  The way Dan/Bruce fired Jay was bush league.  The way Dan fired Norv was bush league.  Neither were good coaches, both needed to be fired.  But do it with some professionalism and dignity.  

And it's why I think the news is going to be leaked before the Dallas game, and I think Ron addresses it in some vague manner after the game at his last Commander's presser.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m really confused by the talk of EB getting a head coach or even OC gig when he leaves here.  Like I’ve said numerous times in the Howell thread, if the offense itself was creating opportunities and Howell was the problem, there would be an abundance of evidence to support that.  

I’ve watched EB refuse to attack opposing defenses weaknesses and call plays that are dead pre-snap in critical situations most of the season.  

What about that is enticing to perspective employers?

I actually think if there are really 10 HC openings, EB is going to get one.  Whether or not he should, or whether or not he will be successful, no comment on that.  My guess is some GM is going to think with the right investments in pieces, the offense could work, and he could be a good leader. 

If I was coaching him for his interviews, here's what I would coach him to say: (And yes, this is total spin-zone, and I get it. And I don't believe it.  But it is a story he could sell. And somebody might buy it.  

1. Ron, and Jay before him, set a culture of lackadaisical practice, non-accountability and the players chaffed when they were asked to actually work.  That's on them. Not me.  I believe firmly what I was doing to instill discipline, and if I am the HC, that's what I'm going to do from day 1.  Ron's culture was impossible to change, and players chaffed at the discipline I was instilling. That's on them, and evident by their lack of attention to detail in the play.

2. I wasn't able to hire my own staff.  The OL coach is a kid Ron knew and we couldn't hire a different one due to the ownership change. Nepotism hires, non-hard work culture, coaches who didn't know the system.  Even though I had the Assistant Head Coach title, there were things I couldn't change because of Ron and the ownership change.  

3. The personnel decisions weren't made by me, especially on the OL.  We brought in Wylie because Ron was not going to bring in anybody. 

4. We went into the draft with a plan to draft 1 if not 2 offensive linemen early in the draft, and instead ended up with 2 bad defensive backs.  And I had to try and make Charles and Paul work at LG, and that was never the plan.  The only OL we signed were only to be depth pieces, and that was also never the plan.  They didn't react aggressively to what was going on in the draft and it killed the season.  

4. I was trying to develop a young QB, while implementing a new system where no coaches or players had ever played in the system.  If I'm the HC, I will surround myself with coaches off of Reid's tree, and we'll teach it better.

5. Look at the Chiefs.  Most of the players are the same, Patrick even talked about the team lacking the discipline I instilled once I was gone.  

Now, does that get him a job?  I don't know.  But it's a story that could hang together.  He'll also get supremely good references from Reid, Mahomes and Kelce, and that matters too.  

I personally don't know or don't care if he gets a job.  I am pretty sure it won't be here one way or the other.  So my level of caring of what happens to him is virtually zero.  

But I wouldn't be shocked if he did get a job.  My guess is he is MUCH more respected in NFL circles than on this board. The one place which might make the most sense would be the Chargers.  They have a QB and he knows the division well.  

If Joe Barry and Mike Nolan can keep getting coordinator jobs, anything is possible.  

• Like 1