Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€ Ron fired days ago. Mission Accomplished.๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜„

88Comrade2000

1 hour ago, Ghedrick said:

I am not willing to concede anything to the cowgirls.We seems to play to level of our competition. We've seen our team give the eagles issues.The eagles are clearly better than the cowgirls. I believe Sam Howell shreds the cowgirls and gives us a chance to win on Thanksgiving day. The emerging Jahan Dotson really has taken the passing game to a new level.ย 

Agreed! Even if I believed there was no chance of beating Dallas, I would never say it ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ๐Ÿคฎ but the fact is they lost to Arizona, so hell yeah we can win on Thanksgiving.ย 

• Thumb up 1

53 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I respect Ron for the way he handled himself under the ownership of Daniel Snyder.

ย I actually respect Ron, as well. I just have never thought he was qualified for the duties of Head of Football Ops + Head coach.ย 

ย 

Looking very forward to them cleaning house

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, dckey said:

It's amazing to me how EB doesn't get any credit....ย  Our offense is completely 1000% better than previous years.ย  We're giving all of the credit of this turnaround to Howell but none to EB.ย  I also looked at the Kansas City Offense and since EB left they are not this juggernaut offense they once were.ย  Howell has 2471 yds 14 TD 9 INT 66.6% Comp compared to Mahomes who hasย  2442 yds 17 TD 8 INT 68.6% Comp.ย  Kansas City offense is 12th in scoring and 7th in YPG and we are 18th in scoring and 17th in YPG.ย  Their defense is way better than ours by a large margin.ย  In no ways am I saying Howell is Mahomes but to see the drop-off in Mahomes and the rise of Howell and the only difference in both organizations is EB.ย  Not saying it is all him but he deserves at least 50% of the credit.ย ย 

ย 

100% agree.

I think I have seen enough with play design and inability to adjust in game quickly like in New York where I don't think EB should be the HC. I think we can do better. If we finish strong, I do think there are poverty franchises out there who would give Bienemy the shot to be HC.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

ย 

From where he sits โ€” with a 4-5 team, a developing quarterback and a 9-3 record in November with Washington โ€” itโ€™s a reasonable way to think. But it says here thereโ€™s no realistic, reasonably attainable route for Rivera to keep his job. Certainly not as the czar of personnel and roster-building. But not as on-field head coach, either.

ย 

ย 

Thatโ€™s not a bet against the Commanders this Sunday against the (equally middling) Seahawks. Nor is it to say that Washington couldnโ€™t string a few wins together, because Riveraโ€™s teamsย have done that around this time of yearย more than once.

ย 

Rather, itโ€™s a sober assessment of the results Rivera has achieved across his career, an acknowledgment that the club is under new management, and an educated guess that said new management isnโ€™t going to look at the on-field product and say, โ€œWeโ€™re clearly headed in the right direction.โ€

Think about it. Josh Harrisโ€™s charge as the (still) new owner of his hometown NFL franchise: Fix the fan experience, sure. But fix the football, too.

ย 
ย 

Rivera began his first training camp under Harris three-and-a-half months agoย by saying, โ€œIโ€™ve got a lot to prove.โ€ย Halfway through the season, that remains the case. The problem: The clock has ticked and the calendar has flipped, and he really hasnโ€™t proven anything about why he deserves to stay in 2024 and beyond.

ย 

I donโ€™t want to link Harris toย โ€œThe Processโ€ undertaken by his Philadelphia 76ersย and say that means heโ€™ll employ a dramatic lose-to-win plan here. But it canโ€™t be completely ignored, and it suggests that deciding on leadership in both roster-building and coaching will be a logical, analytical endeavor.

Rivera has roamed the sidelines in Washington for 59 games. He is 26-32-1. His first draft choice here was the second overall pick in 2020, whomย he just traded to San Franciscoย for a third-round pick.

ย 

Where to hang your hat? If this season represents Riveraโ€™s audition for Harris, what evidence could Rivera bring to his new boss that shows, clearly, he has built a solid foundation, and better days are in both the near and distant future?

โ€œI just think as you look at what weโ€™re doing, and we continue to be competitive, thatโ€™s probably the biggest thing right now,โ€ Rivera said. โ€œWeโ€™ve had a lot of change, a lot of things that weโ€™re doing differently and just trying to put it together. I mean, for me, the biggest thing is just to continue to play hard and continue to do the best we can, and hopefully win some football games more so than anything else.

ย 

โ€œI mean, the truth is, this is about winning. Thatโ€™s the biggest thing that comes from the audition.โ€

ย 

At least he understands that last part, and clearly.

As always, when it comes to assessing Riveraโ€™s tenure, itโ€™s worth noting the tumultuous times in which he took the job โ€” with a pandemic and a national reckoning on race arriving before he coached his first game here, with Daniel Snyderโ€™s troubles with the NFL and Congress a relentless black cloud over everything the team did. He has navigated so much with dignity.

โ€œFirst of all, the man that he is,โ€ veteran tight end Logan Thomas said. โ€œHeโ€™s straight-up with you. He ainโ€™t gong to sugarcoat anything.โ€

โ€œHeโ€™s extremely transparent with the team in what he expects,โ€ star receiver Terry McLaurin said. โ€œWhen we come out there, we know whatโ€™s expected of us at practice, how we come in the building and team meetings, how weโ€™re supposed to present ourselves.โ€

ย 

That kind of consistency and clarity matters to professional athletes. Good on Rivera.

Now, back to the winning.

By now, we know who Rivera is as a coach.ย When he was hired before the 2020 season, I focused on Riveraโ€™s high points over the course of nine seasons in Carolina: 12-4 in 2013, 15-1 in 2015 and 11-5 in 2017.

The hiring of a new football czar should inherently bring optimism, but the biggest reason to point to the positive was that those Panthers seasons directly contrasted what had been possible in Washington. Hereโ€™s the spot where we remind everyone that Washington hasnโ€™t posted a season with 11 or more wins since โ€” are you serious? โ€”ย 1991.

ย 

So it wasnโ€™t unreasonable to acknowledge that Washingtonโ€™s new coach had repeatedly pulled off something Washington hadnโ€™t done for three decades. But in that case, focusing on the highs meant overlooking all the dreck that accompanied them. And by now, midway through his fourth Washington season, itโ€™s not the highs that have been replicated. Itโ€™s the dreck.

ย 

Any mid-level Rivera-ologist can recite the stats: In his 11 full NFL seasons โ€” not counting this yearโ€™s 4-5 and the 5-7 he posted before being fired in Carolina in 2019 โ€” Rivera has gone 6-10 twice, 7-8-1 once, 7-9 three times, 7-10 once, and 8-8-1 once. Yawn. In his three winning seasons, he is 28 games over .500. In all his other seasons, he is 21 games below .500.

Thatโ€™s not a small sample size. Thatโ€™s a pattern, a track record that is established.

ย 

Thisย is the season thatโ€™s going to force Harris to overlook all that evidence?

Parse Riveraโ€™s argument for keeping himself a little further. โ€œA lot of change, a lot of things that weโ€™re doing differentlyโ€ is a direct reference to installing Sam Howell as the quarterback to run a new offense installed by first-year coordinator Eric Bieniemy. Recent trends are positive for both.

But asking for more time to maximize the offense is an attempt at obscuring how badly Rivera and his front office โ€” led by Martin Mayhew and Marty Hurney โ€” messed up the offense for the first three seasons. Oh, and the defense? It ranks 29th in yards allowed per play, 30th in points allowed per game and 28th in yards allowed per game.

ย 

But Mr. Harris, all we need is more time?

Watch the Commanders Sunday, and root for them โ€” even if losses would mean better draft picks for whomever will be entrusted with making them in the future. But in pulling for your team, be realistic about that future, too. Nothing in Ron Riveraโ€™s past indicates heโ€™s about to put together the final pieces of a rรฉsumรฉ that will blow away his new boss. There may be a lot of football ahead, but thereโ€™s a lot of football behind, too, and that evidence is damning.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, method man said:

I think I have seen enough with play design and inability to adjust in game quickly like in New York where I don't think EB should be the HC. I think we can do better. If we finish strong, I do think there are poverty franchises out there who would give Bienemy the shot to be HC

Good is the enemy (Bienemy?) of the best. Isn't a great feeling to think we have real, legitimate options?

• Like 1

I think EB and who ever decided to make a change on the o-line are the people that should deserve credit for the last two games of improved offense more so than Howell. Iโ€™m not trying to take anything away from Howell, I think heโ€™s fantastic so far, but EB is calling a totally different game than he was initially. More slants and passes out of the backfield. A lot of safety valves. He finally realized that not every play needs all receivers running 30 yards down field.ย 
ย 

This has helped Howell tremendously and plays to his strengths and our offenses strengths. Tyler Larsen has proven to be a massive upgrade over Gates as well.ย 
ย 

My problem with this is why did it take EB half a season to change his offensive game plan? Sometimes he adjusts at halftime in games. Can he only make a moves in half increments? If so, thatโ€™s concerning. He doesnโ€™t seem to be quick on his feet and adapt quickly. Thatโ€™s not HC material, but weโ€™ll see how it plays out.

ย 

I donโ€™t think heโ€™ll get a HC job anywhere unfortunately.

• Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

I think EB and who ever decided to make a change on the o-line are the people that should deserve credit for the last two games of improved offense more so than Howell. Iโ€™m not trying to take anything away from Howell, I think heโ€™s fantastic so far, but EB is calling a totally different game than he was initially. More slants and passes out of the backfield. A lot of safety valves. He finally realized that not every play needs all receivers running 30 yards down field.ย 
ย 

This has helped Howell tremendously and plays to his strengths and our offenses strengths. Tyler Larsen has proven to be a massive upgrade over Gates as well.ย 
ย 

My problem with this is why did it take EB half a season to change his offensive game plan? Sometimes he adjusts at halftime in games. Can he only make a moves in half increments? If so, thatโ€™s concerning. He doesnโ€™t seem to be quick on his feet and adapt quickly. Thatโ€™s not HC material, but weโ€™ll see how it plays out.

ย 

I donโ€™t think heโ€™ll get a HC job anywhere unfortunately.

EB is more likely to be demoted to a position coach than promoted to head coach or keep the oc position.

Edited by 88Comrade2000

50 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

EB is more likely to be demoted to a position coach than promoted to head coach or keep the oc position.

Nah. ย Heโ€™s developing a 5th round QB into a legitimate starter. ย A lot of owners are going to like that. ย 
ย 

Unless the offense totally tanks the next 8 games, heโ€™s going to be an OC or HC here or somewhere. ย 

• Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Redskins Reparations said:

I respect Ron for the way he handled himself under the ownership of Daniel Snyder.

ย 

I think most here respect Ron Rivera as a person and a cancer survivor.

ย 

As a head coach? Well.... I think most all are ready to move on to someone else.ย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

9 hours ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

๐Ÿ˜‚ I like Ron the person, but man you guys are rough on him ๐Ÿ˜‚ Yeah, he needs to be gone at the end of season

I like RR too, but I think he gets in his own way with his stubbornness/arrogance in how he does things. I'd like to see him moved upstairs in a different role as some kind of assistant to the owner or something along those lines. Looking at the big picture, wouldn't it be somewhat ironic to fire him after he's the guy who found our franchise QB. He wouldn't even be around to see the success the franchise should have with Howell. But that's the way it goes in life I guess; You gotta win or you're gone.ย 

Harris will consider everything for sure and if RR deserves even a sliver of rope moving forward I think Harris will give it to him. But I think it's gonna take some big wins over the next several weeks to keep RR around.ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

I like RR too, but I think he gets in his own way with his stubbornness/arrogance in how he does things. I'd like to see him moved upstairs in a different role as some kind of assistant to the owner or something along those lines. Looking at the big picture, wouldn't it be somewhat ironic to fire him after he's the guy who found our franchise QB. He wouldn't even be around to see the success the franchise should have with Howell. But that's the way it goes in life I guess; You gotta win or you're gone.ย 

Harris will consider everything for sure and if RR deserves even a sliver of rope moving forward I think Harris will give it to him. But I think it's gonna take some big wins over the next several weeks to keep RR around.ย 

ย 

I think Iโ€™m just ready to move on. Iโ€™m worried if he sticks around he would have the offices ear on football related matters and I donโ€™t really want that. Heโ€™s a nice guy and loyal to a fault. I donโ€™t think heโ€™s arrogant at all, but definitely stubborn. If heโ€™s to stick around, I would like to see him as a relations person. Heโ€™d be a great champion of the team.

ย 

ย 

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Mistakenly caught Feinstein on The Junkie this morning. He wants Bienemy as HC. Therefore I want to part of Bienemy as HC.

Whoโ€™s Feinstein and why do you put so much faith in their opinion?ย 
ย 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

We're a 4 win team hoping for a higher draft pick. Our trash defense got us one of those wins. We've been blown out by the Giants (and yes, that was a blow out) and the freaking Bears. We've played 4 of the teams drafting in the top 5 next year. Atlanta was the closest to an impressive win and that was because their now benched QB is trash. Our most feel good games this year were loses to a division rival.

ย 

Ron, Jack, EB are all absolute losers and are done. Jack actually has the best chance at remaining at his level of the three of them.

13 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Nah. ย Heโ€™s developing a 5th round QB into a legitimate starter.

That's straight out of the Ron playbook there. Grade school.

ย 

Howell was a legit starter last season when we beat the Cowboys. Nobody is developing him. It's amazing that he's surviving, let alone succeeding in spite of the bad play calling.ย ย 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

If heโ€™s to stick around, I would like to see him as a relations person. Heโ€™d be a great champion of the team.

ย 

Shocked to read this, this is not in his skillset at all (at least anymore). Arguably one of the most painful parts of his tenure has been listening to him (maybe incidentally) insult peopleโ€™s intelligence with buffoonish circular logic week after week. Sticking his foot in his mouth on player and staff relations, etc. All stuff that could be secondary if he were otherwise a productive and winning coach, but heโ€™s notโ€”and this would be his only job? This would be a horrible fit even if you wanted to keep him around for some reason.ย 

ย 

ย 

• Like 1